Thread: Mushrooms

goalisbigger is offline New Member

Mushrooms

I was wondering what your guys opinions are on adding mushrooms to the diet possibly post workout as a carb?

clemont51 is offline Banned
    Don't ingest more than four (4) grams at a sitting.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    PWO as a carb? the only time I eat simple carbs are PWO. mushroom is a complex carb. If it were me, and I intended on eating some shrooms, then maybe for bfast an hour before I work out.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    The great big mushrooms heated up on non-stick cooking spray with salt! Love em'!

goalisbigger is offline New Member
    Why no more than 4g per sitting? Yeah adding them in the morning could be a better idea thanks for the info!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by clemont51 View Post
    Don't ingest more than four (4) grams at a sitting.
    Why not? What's the point of making a blanket statement like this as if it's an edict, but with no explanation why?

clemont51 is offline Banned
    I was talking about magic mushrooms, tongue in cheek. That dose one a month gives
    an evening of amazing TV watching. Jim Cramer, the financial pumper on CNBC really
    gets wild!

Quote Originally Posted by clemont51 View Post
    I was talking about magic mushrooms, tongue in cheek. That dose one a month gives
    an evening of amazing TV watching. Jim Cramer, the financial pumper on CNBC really
    gets wild!
    lol sorry bro, it was too early, went right over my head.

Careful with the recreational drug talk though, it's against the rules!

I was kinda thinking that mushrooms where like raw veggies, kinda unlimited on a bb diet.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I was kinda thinking that mushrooms where like raw veggies, kinda unlimited on a bb diet.
    ^ ^ Agreed, I wouldn't worry about/count mushrooms.

what you cook them in however, that's a different story!

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Love mushrooms, i would cook an entire tray (450g) with 1 large onion in olive oil, added to this was a huge sirloin steak.....
    Do not ask me for a source check.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Love mushrooms, i would cook an entire tray (450g) with 1 large onion in olive oil, added to this was a huge sirloin steak.....
    ^ ^ yep, this sounds great!

I prefer a t-bone, but now I'm hungry and I just ate.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    To answer your question, mushrooms are a poor source of carbs at any rate and therefore there is no point in adding them to your PWO meal. However, they are delicious and healthy, also quite innocent from a calorie perspective, hence they can be confidently consumed along with meals by athletes. Mushrooms are also a good source of fiber, vegetable protein and water. Fat, cholestrol and sodium almost do not exist in mushrooms. Mushrooms are also a good source of Vitamin D, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate and Magnesium, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Selenium.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    To answer your question, mushrooms are a poor source of carbs at any rate and therefore there is no point in adding them to your PWO meal. However, they are delicious and healthy, also quite innocent from a calorie perspective, hence they can be confidently consumed along with meals by athletes. Mushrooms are also a good source of fiber, vegetable protein and water. Fat, cholestrol and sodium almost do not exist in mushrooms. Mushrooms are also a good source of Vitamin D, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate and Magnesium, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Selenium.
    I love you for this!!!

bmor is offline New Member
    In a thread on the supplement forum Swifto pointed out this study. Interesting benefits of Mushrooms.

that seemed a lot over my head, are you saying that I am less likely to get breast cancer if I eat white button mushrooms?

bmor is offline New Member
    I am not a scientist, but towards the end it sums up "The data from our study suggest that the white button mushroom may have potential therapeutic benefit as a functional food by reducing the activity of aromatase, the putative enzyme for converting androgens to estrogens." Or a natural Aromatase Inhibitor. Of course, I may be totally wrong on this, and be reading the whole study wrong.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    to make them better is to deglaze the pan with a little maderia. and also add a little thyme and rosemary.

Quote Originally Posted by bmor View Post
    I am not a scientist, but towards the end it sums up "The data from our study suggest that the white button mushroom may have potential therapeutic benefit as a functional food by reducing the activity of aromatase, the putative enzyme for converting androgens to estrogens." Or a natural Aromatase Inhibitor. Of course, I may be totally wrong on this, and be reading the whole study wrong.
    uhhhh....okay..... so does that mean I'm less likely to get breast cancer if I eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by kalspic View Post
    to make them better is to deglaze the pan with a little maderia. and also add a little thyme and rosemary.
    This sounds delicious, I can't wait to try it.

there are better ways than this, but they are kinda labor intesive and you need the time and equipment. but ulitmatly to bring out the most flavor in mushrooms is to either roast them or quick cook them in a pan over high heat so they get a nice crispy texture. most people add a bunch of them to a pan at once and since they have so much water in them, they basically boil/steam them.

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You thread highjackers gotta go...I go to a nice safe post on mushrooms and leave with a burning desire for a juicy steak...

there are better ways than this, but they are kinda labor intesive and you need the time and equipment. but ulitmatly to bring out the most flavor in mushrooms is to either roast them or quick cook them in a pan over high heat so they get a nice crispy texture. most people add a bunch of them to a pan at once and since they have so much water in them, they basically boil/steam them.
    I just had some for lunch, I sliced two big portobellos, put them in a dry pan over high heat, added garlic and onion salt, poured in about a half cup of purified water and when the water was gone they were perfect flavor and texture. Then I dumped my "tai pei garlic shrimp with veggies" on top of them added some extra shrimp and went to town!

nice! sounds awesome.

nice! sounds awesome.
    nice change of pace. For breakfast today I had two breakfast burritos consisting of 3 eggs(only one yolk) one slice of swiss cheese with EVOO grilled mushrooms and one med white potatoe in two corn tortillas with medium pace picanta salsa.

next time when grilling mushrooms(portabellos prefrebly) make a balsamic marinade. use 3parts dark balsamic to 1 part oil. let them sit in there for about an hour if you have time. give it a good mixing every now and again. then when you grill them season them with salt and pepper. grill till ther are done. once you have had these there is no turning back lol. this method also works great for peppers, onions(red are the best) and squash/zucchini.

next time when grilling mushrooms(portabellos prefrebly) make a balsamic marinade. use 3parts dark balsamic to 1 part oil. let them sit in there for about an hour if you have time. give it a good mixing every now and again. then when you grill them season them with salt and pepper. grill till ther are done. once you have had these there is no turning back lol. this method also works great for peppers, onions(red are the best) and squash/zucchini.
    sounds great

Thread Information