yungone501 is offline Senior Member

Feedback on my new bedtime meal

Im currently aiming to bulk with minimal bf...in doing so im trying to stick with clean foods. Ive recently began drinking approx 1 1/2 cups liquid egg white w/2 1/2 tbsp of olive oil mixed. Any thoughts on if this actually a good idea or not? I know fat is not ideal before bed but there is 0 carbs in this meal so im hopibg this would make it suitable...what do you folks think?

Also, im not good with eating dairy products (especially before bed) so the whole cottage cheese thing is out of mind for me. I usually wake up a few hours after laying down and lets just say...its not to go pee!

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    If the rest of your diet is in check I think this is an okay source of good fats, the protein source is the problem, eggs are one of the quickest used by the body and you want longer lasting proteins before bed, to work longer into the sleep cycle. That's why we normally recommend your red meat protein source here. Also avacado is a good fat choice here as well, or natty peanut butter.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    what are the macros on an avacado?

Cracovia82 is offline Junior Member
    Damn, that's too bad. Because ff cottage cheese with some sugar free blueberry jam is the sh*t. I love it. I can't see liquid egg white w/olive oil being all that tasty, how about some roasted almonds or beef jerky???

^^^lmao^^^

Who said anything about this meal being "tasty"?

Quite frankly, this has got to be the worst tasting concoction ive ever consumed, really!

Tbody, i was pondering about the fact that egg whites are quickly absorbed and then i thought maybe the mix with a fat (olive oil) would slow digestion??? Or would it be better to just add another (same) meal in the middle of the night?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Eggs/whites are a relatively poor choice before bed. As stated above, they are one of the fastest absorbing proteins available. While taking them with the EVOO will slow absorption, there are far better choices. BTW - fat before bed IS ideal when you want to slow absorption. Not 30g of fat, but around 10g or so is good, and/or whatever fits into your fat macro daily allotment.

Red meat would be your best choice, followed by low fat cottage cheese (I use sugar free raspberry jam, gotta try blueberry, thanks lisekpl!) or a casein shake.

To gbrice, since ive began eating this meal, i have to say i have not been waking up with an extreme hunger sensation as before i was. Would you relate this to the meal lasting much longer through the night or what? Im aware that egg whites are absorbed quickly but ive been on the egg white craze here lately and love what they have done for my physique! Thats why i got a little creative with this meal so that i could use the egg whites but tweak for a slower absorbtion rate.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    How about this, since your original question was about our thoughts as to your last meal choice, as a stand alone option, we had not context to base our answers on other than to explain there are better choices, now since you are defending this as a meal choice I would wonder why you asked the question, it seems as if you were/are determined to use this as your meal choice because it's been working for you. Of course that is a relative statement and based upon your own biased opinion. If you post some pics, and all of your personal statistics, age,ht,wt,lifting experience, with a complete actual diet you consume on a daily basis then the last meal might make more sense to us or matter less than we thought.

Yung - if the meal seems to be working for you, then don't change it. The whole 'slower protein overnight' thing is overblown IMO anyway. If you get sick of the meal and/or want to make a change, consider the options I listed above.

Or as mentioned above, you can always go with casein w/milk or water (if you don't want dairy in it). Maybe you could even get away with those muscle milk shakes, they contain NO MILK and are lactose free. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by lisekpl View Post
    muscle milk shakes, they contain NO MILK and are lactose free. Try it out.
    Maybe they contain no milk, but they do contain a bunch of crap you can pronounce.

like sodium hexametaphosphate, acesulfame potassium, carrageenan, cholecaciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride or chromium chloride and ferric pyrophosphate....etc. A good mouth workout right there.

Heh yea... I don't want that crap circulating through me while I sleep!

Lmao, yeah guess i am sort of "defending"...sorry. Thanks everyone for your input and interest. Im just making sure that the meal is a decent choice. Appreciate ya guys!

^ ^ no matter what, it's better than no meal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^ ^ no matter what, it's better than no meal at all.
    Lol, oh really?

Thread Information