nobbythedonkey is offline Associate Member

Opinions on my diet

I need a little help refining my diet, currently i weight 12st 10lbs, i'm 5ft 11 and have a little bit of fat around my gut, looking to get rid of this and drop some more body fat, i train mainly MMA 2 hours a night, looking to add a couple of weights sessions in when i work a night shift (have access to 24hr gym)

current diet is

Meal 1: Breakfast (0530)
    3 egg whites, 1 whole egg scrmbled
    30grams of Oats in water with table spoon of manuka honey
    1x Apple
    1x glass of Tropicanna OJ

Meal 2: (0830)
    125g brown basmati rice
    200g prawns or 1 chicken breast
    Superfood and SuperVeg XS from Myprotein (not getting much veg so have started taking these - i cap them up)

Meal 3: (1130)
    1.5 Scoops PhD Pharma Whey HT+
    1x Apple
    5x Almonds, 5x Cashews, 3x Full Walnuts

Meal 4: (1430)
    125g brown basmati rice
    Superfood and SuperVeg XS from Myprotein (not getting much veg so have started taking these - i cap them up)

Meal 5: (1730)
    30g Oats in water
    1x Apple

Training from 19:30 to 21:30

Meal 6: 21:45 - Post Workout
    1.5 Scoops of Pharma Whey HT+
    1x Apple

Meal 7: 23:30
    PhD Pharma Blend 6hr
    Bed Time

i also have access to some winny that i'm thinking of throwing in to try and lean up a bit.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    your going to have to add the macros for those meals. Much easier to get you dialed in with the macros. Any idea what your body fat % is.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Agree with Nephets. Get those macros up. One big problem I see with the diet is that there are way too many high gi carbs in there. I, personally, would like to see none, especially since you're trying to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbythedonkey View Post
    I need a little help refining my diet, currently i weight 12st 10lbs, i'm 5ft 11 and have a little bit of fat around my gut, looking to get rid of this and drop some more body fat, i train mainly MMA 2 hours a night, looking to add a couple of weights sessions in when i work a night shift (have access to 24hr gym)Try to get 3-5 weight sessions/week if you can work it around your mma training. Not only will adding lbm change your body comp to lower bf%, but strength, as you already know, will help in your mma.

current diet is

Meal 1: Breakfast (0530)
    3 egg whites, 1 whole egg scrmbled
    30grams of Oats in water with table spoon of manuka honey
    1x Apple
    1x glass of Tropicanna OJ
    Lots of high gi carbs in this meal. Ditch the honey, apple, and OJ. Add in some more oats to replace these. It's hard to say how much since you didn't post macros. I don't know what a 'stone' is and i'm too lazy to google it lol, but regardless, 3 egg whites and a whole egg is only 18 grams of protein in this meal, not including the incomplete protein coming from the oats.

Meal 2: (0830)
    125g brown basmati rice
    Not a bad meal.

Meal 3: (1130)
    1x Apple
    This is a problem, imo. Not only is the apple high on the gi scale, but it's fructose, which won't do much for muscle glycogen (in other words, it's not a great source of fuel for both these reasons). I also don't like the fact that this is both a pro/fat AND pro/carb meal. When insulin levels rise and, in this case, SPIKE due to the carb source being high gi, dietary fats are more apt to be stored as body fat. Choose one of the two; either pro/fat or pro/carb. Personally, I would make it pro/fat since it's not around your workout time and you're trying to cut. Regardless, if you choose to make it pro/carb, replace the apple with a complex carb.

Meal 4: (1430)
    125g brown basmati rice

Meal 5: (1730)
    30g Oats in water
    1x Apple
    Same critique as meal 3.

Training from 19:30 to 21:30

Meal 6: 21:45 - Post Workout
    1.5 Scoops of Pharma Whey HT+
    1x Apple
    Again, the fruit will not do much for replenshing muscle glycogen. You're cutting; replace it with a complex carb.

Meal 7: 23:30
    PhD Pharma Blend 6hr
    Bed Time
    Not a supplement guru, so I'll let someone else chime in on this.

i also have access to some winny that i'm thinking of throwing in to try and lean up a bit.
    Up to you, but just remember, neither AAS nor any other compound will help you lean out if your diet is not in check.
    Get those macros up, and we can help you further.

strong_web is offline Associate Member
    True that, it almost looks like your trying to gain here, get carbs out. I find with myself if its good carbs in the morning you will wear them off durning the day, but there shouldn't be any carbs after the morning and if so maybe have carb that have fibre, So the fibre will burn the carbs.
    Looking down your list you have 3 times after 11:30 you are taking shakes, try to get some lean meat there instead.
    Fruit not good, I have fruit in my diet, and I have been told to take it out, but I like to use the natrual sugar when I am at work, so around 9 or 10 I will have a cup of fruit or a banana soon as I get up, notsure if you want to follow that, but I do ok with it.

nobbythedonkey is offline Associate Member
    Apples are only 34 on the GI scale and it's classed as low gi, is it still not good for me ??

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Drop the apples, drop all fruit in fact for serious gains.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    It's not that they're horrible for you; it's just that there are better carb sources out there. Yes, apples, compared to other fruits, are lower on the gi scale, but that's not the only reason they're not recommended while on a cutting diet. Like I said, fruit doesn't aid exceptionally in replenishing muscle glycogen and, furthermore, all the carbs in fruit is fructose, basically a natural sugar--but sugar, nonetheless, which is a no no.

When you're on a calorie-restricted diet, try to use all the nutrients from your foods in the most efficient way possible.

Thread Information