Thread: Wheatgrass

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Wheatgrass

Would like to hear your opinions on this alleged 'superfood'.

Here's the deal: I simply don't have time to keep up with cooking veggies throughout the week. Cooking all my meats and such is enough of a chore. I can do that Sunday and i'm good all week. Veggies don't keep very well for that long, and as you know 2 cups of veggies equates to ALOT of veggies for a full week. This means cooking them multiple times a week, and it's just not gonna happen.

So as it is now, veggies are a deficiency in my diet. What do you think about supplementing with wheatgrass? Is it better than nothing at all, or a waste of money? It is touted by some as a great (even superior, although i'd tend to disagree) replacement for veggies, and others that say this it is not proven to be even equivalent.

Your opinions?

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Never heard of it, but if you'd like my opinion on the biggest POST-HO I know, who starts thread after thread and bumps his own thread to an exponential degree.... Oh sorry.... off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Never heard of it, but if you'd like my opinion on the biggest POST-HO I know, who starts thread after thread and bumps his own thread to an exponential degree.... Oh sorry.... off topic.
    A man who asks questions is a man who learns... you should try it sometime TB!

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    ^^haha,

People will dissagree with me i'm sure, but how bout some V8 juice?

I don't eat veggies enough either, I take fiber choice, two tabs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    ^^haha,

People will dissagree with me i'm sure, but how bout some V8 juice?
    Too much sugar and crap for me. Looking for something much cleaner and greener.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    I use a steamer for my broccoli, when it's done it will shut it self off into "warm" mode, it requires almost no effort, perhaps you should look into something like this? A good one is maybe 30 bucks tops.

I also have a huge sodium addiction so I will eat a few large dill pickles and a half dozen pickled okra in a day.

JJ78 is offline Senior Member
    GBrice get some Green Vibrance. Look it up it has a ton of stuff in it. I wouldnt advocate not eating fresh vegetables, but this is by far the best stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    I use a steamer for my broccoli, when it's done it will shut it self off into "warm" mode, it requires almost no effort, perhaps you should look into something like this? A good one is maybe 30 bucks tops.
    It's more about having to constantly prep and worry about cooking it. I get literally about 2 hours/day of leisure time during the week. The last thing I want to do is spend it cooking veggies, even where steaming is simple. Storing and transporting to work (several servings/day) will be near impossible for me as well.

I also have a huge sodium addiction so I will eat a few large dill pickles and a half dozen pickled okra in a day.
    I love pickles, unfortunately this is not the kind of veggie i'm looking for!

I don't eat veggies enough either, I take fiber choice, two tabs a day.
    I'm more concerned with the alkyline properties of veggies, the nutrients, anti oxidants, etc. I get plenty of fiber from my carb sources.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post
    GBrice get some Green Vibrance. Look it up it has a ton of stuff in it. I wouldnt advocate not eating fresh vegetables, but this is by far the best stuff out there.
    Thanks mate, i'll check this stuff out now!

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    personally my premade meals when i pack them i put frozen veggies in each tupperwear that usually thaw by the time i'm ready to nuke them.

35 grams of fiber recommended for a male eating 2500 cals a day. I have switched to tabouli as my veggie source, I fix it once a week, it's cold and easy to measure, it's citris/vinegar based so quenches my sodium craving, I make mine with ro-tel tomatoes, fresh green onions(the whole onion), cucumber and sometimes a jalapeno, you can make it to taste and add as many veggies as you like.

Yeah its not cheap, but it has all the vitamins you need for the day, as well as, one scoop is enough for 1 day. I personally take 2 but I am a vegan. It is the deal. Whole foods has it but we just ordered 2 big tubs from amazon. it is the cheapest I have found it.

Also Quinoa, it is close to spinach as far as nutrients. We make a big batch once a week. It is cheap and tastes good and has protein.

Yeah its not cheap, but it has all the vitamins you need for the day, as well as, one scoop is enough for 1 day. I personally take 2 but I am a vegan. It is the deal. Whole foods has it but we just ordered 2 big tubs from amazon. it is the cheapest I have found it.
    It is pricey! But you'd consider it much more beneficial than wheatgrass? Are you familiar with wheatgrass?

Also Quinoa, it is close to spinach as far as nutrients. We make a big batch once a week. It is cheap and tastes good and has protein.
    Can you hook me up with a good recipe for quinoa? I have a bag sitting at home but can never really stomach it. It's more of a complex carb source vs. a veggie though. One nice benefit is the complete protein.

I am pretty sure that it has wheatgrass in it. Yes wheatgrass is great for you. How are you planniong on takin wheatgras. Are yo going to but the actual grass and liquify it? That is expensive.

Quinoa: We ususally use half water and have veggie stock(or you can use chicken stock) I sautee up some peppers, onions, brocolli, mushrooms, and spinach in olive oil and spices like red pepper flakes ,salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar. Then just mix it in a big bowl and eat it.

I personally have a problem with balsamic vinegar. I buy good quality (thick) balsamic and put that shit on everything.

Yes quinoa is a grain, but its nutrional content is closer to spinach. It is so much better than Brown rice.

Damn I just reread my post and my typing sucks.

By the way, whenever I see wheatgrass shots for sale I but 2oz everytime, I love that stuff. It is really good for your teeth.
    If you read the benefits of it they are kind of crazy. The say if you put a tray of Wheatgrass in front of you tV it will absorb the radiation coming off of it?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    G, what veggies do u eat in the raw state? i am interested in the wheat grass debate. has to be just as good as eating spinach or romaine.

http://benefitsofwheatgrass.net/ doesn't say anything about fiber

Clarkdog is offline New Member
    Gbrice I am in the same boat you are w/the cooking issue but if you like broccoli I found some frozen bags of it at my local supermarket that makes about two cups and you just plop it in the microwave for 4:30. I usually put a bag in as I'm getting ready for work in the morning then put it in Tupperware for the trip to work. This way I have fresh vegetables for lunch every day. If you’re interested I'll get the name brand for you when I get home from work tonight.

I am pretty sure that it has wheatgrass in it. Yes wheatgrass is great for you. How are you planniong on takin wheatgras. Are yo going to but the actual grass and liquify it? That is expensive.

Quinoa: We ususally use half water and have veggie stock(or you can use chicken stock) I sautee up some peppers, onions, brocolli, mushrooms, and spinach in olive oil and spices like red pepper flakes ,salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar. Then just mix it in a big bowl and eat it.

I personally have a problem with balsamic vinegar. I buy good quality (thick) balsamic and put that shit on everything.

Yes quinoa is a grain, but its nutrional content is closer to spinach. It is so much better than Brown rice.
    Thanks for the info man, i'll try the quinoa again!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ78;561***5
    By the way, whenever I see wheatgrass shots for sale I but 2oz everytime, I love that stuff. It is really good for your teeth.
    If you read the benefits of it they are kind of crazy. The say if you put a tray of Wheatgrass in front of you tV it will absorb the radiation coming off of it?
    Sounds ambitious, but I don't doubt it's very healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    G, what veggies do u eat in the raw state? i am interested in the wheat grass debate. has to be just as good as eating spinach or romaine.
    Raw state? None, really. Lettuces, cucumber, that's about it. When I do eat veggies, it's steamed, sauteed or grilled.

I bought wheatgrass powdered juice and a wheatgrass energy shot at the healthfood store today. I tried the shot, it tastes flat out nasty and cost $3.99 and based upon the ingredient chart wasn't great at providing much of anything normally tangible and exciting from a body-building perspective. I have recently been drinking two oz a day of pom juice, so I guess I can mix my wheatgrass powdered juice with that for other health benefits.

JJ - I forgot to answer earlier - I would be buying the powder to mix in water or juice. However, i am gonna definitely gonna check out the green vibrance first, thanks again!

I just drank 16oz of water with 1 tbsp of wheat grass. Not a pleasant experience, if you have the cals to do it with juice please do so!

Thread Information