werms is offline Associate Member

Omega-3 Fatty Acids Linked to Prostate Cancer?

http://healthyliving.ocregister.com/...ter-all/31935/

Thought this might be an interesting read.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They link pretty much every supplement to prostate cancer nowadays.

There are researches made in the States showing that regular multivitamin intake somehow doubles the risk of developing prostace cancer in the long term.

I agree with Theodore Brasky's statement here ''Overall, the beneficial effects of eating fish to prevent heart disease outweigh any harm related to prostate cancer risk ... What this study shows is the complexity of nutrition and its impact on disease risk, and that we should study such associations rigorously rather than make assumptions.''

Dr. Jack Jacoub also made an insightful comment by saying that ''there may indeed be a relationship between omega-3 and cancer, but unlike the positive association with cardiovascular risk, cancer is much harder to pin down ... There are so many variables that it’s almost impossible to control for everything ... You have to take one study, especially when it comes to nutrition and its relationship to cancer, with a grain of salt because it could change a year from now.''

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    They link pretty much every supplement to prostate cancer nowadays.

There are researches made in the States showing that regular multivitamin intake somehow doubles the risk of developing prostace cancer in the long term.

I agree with Theodore Brasky's statement here ''Overall, the beneficial effects of eating fish to prevent heart disease outweigh any harm related to prostate cancer risk ... What this study shows is the complexity of nutrition and its impact on disease risk, and that we should study such associations rigorously rather than make assumptions.''

Dr. Jack Jacoub also made an insightful comment by saying that ''there may indeed be a relationship between omega-3 and cancer, but unlike the positive association with cardiovascular risk, cancer is much harder to pin down ... There are so many variables that it’s almost impossible to control for everything ... You have to take one study, especially when it comes to nutrition and its relationship to cancer, with a grain of salt because it could change a year from now.''
    ^This^

Studies in nutrition have too many variables in general. Soft sciences are like this. Correlations don't = conclusions. Studying say, the effect of white potatoes on cancer is gonna turn up some sort of correlation. But you know what, there is a correlation between global warming and pirates too. Doesn't mean causation.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Exactly.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i do cancer research and what twist and turk said are true. way to many underlying things could be happening to assume that the omega 3 vitamins are increasing prostate cancer. i bet there are articles that go against this by saying how increasing omega 3 will help reduce prostate cancer.

bmor is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    there is a correlation between global warming and pirates too. Doesn't mean causation.
    Almost got caught reading this at work because it made me laugh, and now people want to know what I was laughing at.

Thread Information