neverstoptraining is offline New Member

help with quality bulking diet

stats:24
    height:5'11''
    weight:192-195lbs

I have a very fast metabolism and am very active as i am active duty army. i train natural and am looking to bulk as clean as possible to about 200-210LBS. when i joined the military i was 18yrs old and 142lbs, so i have made some quality gains over the past 6yrs...currently in the last 6months i gained from 180-190LBS just by eating everything in sight and working out. i have no specific diet of any kind, i feel as though if i get a dialed in diet im hoping i can reach my goal. can someone please help me start some kind of diet that i can start, i am currently deployed and have limited internet access to do research and need to keep the foods simple and quick but proper. here are some pics to judge current body composition. thanks for all help.

[IMG][/IMG]

based of bodybuilding.com:

RMR (calories)=2074
    RMR+activity cost=4355
    RMR+activity cost+exercise activity cost=5008
    Total Daily Calorie Expenditure:5215

so damn, i need to eat 5k calories a day to gain weight/lean muscle?

gthom47 is offline Associate Member
    that 5k a day seems REALLY high

if my math is right your BMR should be about 2400 cal so you could do a clean bulk of about 300-500 cal a day so your daily calories would be anywhere from 2700-2900cal a day. if you wanted to do +500cal a day for example i would suggest 285g carbs 260g protein 80gfat. stick with really clean food like egg whites, chicken, tuna, green veggies, rice etc.

thanks, yah the 5k a day seemed really high to me too...i got those results from using the bodybuilding website that is a sticky on the diet main page of this site. after entering my age, bf, and activity levels that is what i was told to eat....

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    gthom seems right, clean foods between 2500-3000 cals a day. 300-350grams protein and the rest carbs/good fats and you should see pretty clean gains. Then again, maybe the calculation from the site wasn't so off-the-charts because if you're always running/working out/walked about then it could be best to up the cals to 3000-4000. Experiment.

yah, thanks...my activity levels are a little high compared to the civilian life style. i will just try between 3-4k.

can anyone look at my build and tell me how much weight in lean mass they think i can add before needing aas....

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by gthom47 View Post
    that 5k a day seems REALLY high

if my math is right your BMR should be about 2400 cal so you could do a clean bulk of about 300-500 cal a day so your daily calories would be anywhere from 2700-2900cal a day. if you wanted to do +500cal a day for example i would suggest 285g carbs 260g protein 80gfat. stick with really clean food like egg whites, chicken, tuna, green veggies, rice etc.
    You cant base caloric needs off of BMR, it needs to be done of of TDEE. 300-500 calories over BMR will result in a very large calorie deficit for anyone unless they sleep 23 hours a day.

so fireguy,

what is the correct amount needed? im aprox. 18% bf, 24yrs old, 5'11, 190-192lbs.... and a high activity level. i used the provided sticky that links to the bb.com website and once i put that info in it told me 5215....

when i use a TDEE website it tells me 3800 cals. so which is right?

also im about to buy food today, so once i figure out how many cal i need, then i need to know protien, carbs, fat..

and then can someone help me figure out so simple meals i can eat being deployed, i have a small food shop here that has most normal foods, and i have a stove/microwave...
    im just not sure how to make a diet so that the protien, carbs, fats, and all that are being ate at the right time through out the day...im up at 0530 and hit the gym at 6pm. try to be in bed by 11pm.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Nobody can give you an exact number. Way too many variables come into play. The best thing you can do is start measuring your food and eating a predetermined number of calories per day and chart your progress. If you are eating 3k cals a day and not gaining weight you need to increase it.(unless you are recomping in which you should see visual changes at the same weight). You also need to chart your bodyfat on a consistent basis, if 3k cals is resulting in weight gain but 80% it is fat then you need to reduce. Pick a number, run with it for two weeks then reassess.

ok sounds good, i will try 3500cal for now.
    fireguy,

can you please help me as far as the carbs,fats,protein etc...i need to know how much i should shoot for a day, and also the order in which i should eat it...
    think you can help me pick some healthy simple foods also to start my diet...i don't care what it taste like i just need to grow! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    You cant base caloric needs off of BMR, it needs to be done of of TDEE. 300-500 calories over BMR will result in a very large calorie deficit for anyone unless they sleep 23 hours a day.
    sorry didnt mean BMR i calculated for maintenance. i did BMR calculator then multiplied by 1.3 for that number(its what the formula i had said to to)

Meal 1: Pro/Carb

8 Egg Whites, 1 Scoop Of Whey Protein, 1 cup oatmeal

50g protein / 54g carbs / 5g fat

Meal 2: Pro/Fat

Lean Ground Beef, ¼ cup swiss cheese, green veggies

55g protein / 2g carbs / 20g fat

Meal 3: Pro/Carb

Chicken Breast, 1 and a half cup Brown Rice

55g protein / 64g carbs / 3g Fat

Meal 4: Pro/Fat

2 Cans of Tuna, 1 Tbsp Full Fat Mayonnaise, Veggies

60g protein / 2g carbs / 13g Fat

Workout

Meal 5: PWO Nutrition

2 Scoops Whey Protein / 80g of Dextrose

40g protein / 80g carbs / 0g fat

Meal 6: PPWO

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, ½ cup Brown Rice (Measured Uncooked)

50g protein / 70g carbs / 3g fat

Meal 7: Pro/Fat

Lean Protein of your choice, 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
    50g protein / 5g carbs / 18g fat

Meal 8: Before Bed

3 Scoops of Whey Protein, 1.5 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil

60g protein / 3g carbs / 21g Fat

That turns into approximately 420 grams protein, 250 grams Carbs, and 83 grams of fat. This is roughly 3500 calories

does this seem like and ok starting point?

i would change ur protein and carb macros. that is like 2.2g protein per lb of body weight which is excessive. i would do 375g carbs, 285g protein, 95g fat. thats a breakdown of about 42% carbs, 33% protein, 25% fat

ok thanks!

started the above diet today, and wow...seems like even though that was more food than i would normally eat, i was hungry all day...had no problem eating! also went to the gym and felt like i had way more energy to lift.

with eating this diet and working out for a month straight, is 10lbs shooting to high? would love to hit 200lbs.

anyone?....

Thread Information