grumpee is offline Associate Member

Spiking your insulin post workout

How important do you guys think it is to spike your insulin post work out ? And whats your carb/drink of choice to spike it ?

I have always takin either a bananna or dextrose post workout to spike mine. I have been considering a few other things like waxy maize or just a vanilla sugar wafers .

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Not important, the possible downside of doing so far outweigh any short term upside. Don't do it man

ramacher is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    can you go into this further tbody? if you are trying to spike your insulin naturally what are the risks (without taking slin)?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Insulin may be a anabolic hormone, however, it also shuttles nutritions to the existing fat cells, hence hindering fat loss.

Moreover, you are much more likely to suffer from Type 2 Diabeties in the future, the more you spike your insulin throughout the day.

To make the long conversation short, you are better of not causing insulin spikes since the positive outcome (shuttling of more nutritions to muscle cells and faster) outweighs the potential risks concerning one's general health.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    If you are not overweight I do not see much of a problem. If you are lean I think it is a fine idea.

toooosmall is offline 1st Place Winner~Transformation Contest!
    bananas have a low GI rating of about 45, and don't spike insulin . dextrose spikes insulin more than just about anything. gilisting.com

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Insulin may be a anabolic hormone, however, it also shuttles nutritions to the existing fat cells, hence hindering fat loss.

Moreover, you are much more likely to suffer from Type 2 Diabeties in the future, the more you spike your insulin throughout the day.

To make the long conversation short, you are better of not causing insulin spikes since the positive outcome (shuttling of more nutritions to muscle cells and faster) outweighs the potential risks concerning one's general health.
    Generally, I agree with this. I tend to also agree with Twist in that it depends on the individual, how you react to carbs, current bodyfat, etc. But in general, I don't feel the positive effect is worth the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by toooosmall View Post
    bananas have a low GI rating of about 45, and don't spike insulin. dextrose spikes insulin more than just about anything. gilisting.com
    lol TS, I LOVE how you are keeping your beginning pics as your avy!

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    How fast is this "shuttle" anyway? I'm sure my body gets it's nutrients plenty fast without sugars or refined carbs. I prefer oats PWO. If you're doing two-a-days or are going to work and your job is moderately-heavily physically involved I could see why you'd want this; otherwise, I don't.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by latissimusaurousrex View Post
    how fast is this "shuttle" anyway? I'm sure my body gets it's nutrients plenty fast without sugars or refined carbs. I prefer oats pwo. if you're doing two-a-days or are going to work and your job is moderately-heavily physically involved i could see why you'd want this; otherwise, i don't.
    this!! ^ ^

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    How fast is this "shuttle" anyway? I'm sure my body gets it's nutrients plenty fast without sugars or refined carbs. I prefer oats PWO. If you're doing two-a-days or are going to work and your job is moderately-heavily physically involved I could see why you'd want this; otherwise, I don't.
    All I can say is that it is only supposed to be ''relatively'' faster.

I agree with your perspective. My diet has consisted of complex carbs only over the past 10 years or so. Results have been quite positive.

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    I'll be eating a banana as it isn't an extreme level and will just help until I get home, along with my post-workout protein of course

irregardless of GI, from my research, you should be getting 40-80g carbs postworkout in the pwo shake. a banana isn't enough. and the pwo shake should be asap from workout.

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    My thinking was: Immediately downing pwo shake for protein intake. Eat a banana on the walk/drive home. When home, some oats or something similar. Rice/Pasta I guess it's all interchangeable.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyy View Post
    My thinking was: Immediately downing pwo shake for protein intake. Eat a banana on the walk/drive home. When home, some oats or something similar. Rice/Pasta I guess it's all interchangeable.
    Just put your oats in your shake beforehand, it's quite simple and convenient.

cool, but banana, rice, oats, even pasta have a low gi rating, which means it takes long to digest and eventually convert to glycogen to be used by your thirsting muscles. after a workout, you muscles need glycogen asap to halt catabolism and begin anabolism. sugars like dextrose not only spike your insulin which can then pump nutrients like protein and creatine into your muscle cells, but the carbs (glucose>glycogen) itself is immediately ready for use. irregardless, if you want to spike your insulin or not (and actually, I don't), you still should get simple carbs asap after killin the muscles in the gym. Get to know the Glycemic Index. a banana is a lower gi than oats. A wheat tortilla is rated lower gi than all carbs. even the white tortillas are low. so many fruits are low gi, and others are super high. if you want to spike your insulin, or avoid spiking it, learn about gi ratings of foods. It doesn't take long to research, and it dispells so much bs you read about. GI ratings are a measure of how long it takes the carb to digest, and how much it affects insulin levels.
    Last edited by toooosmall; 05-01-2011 at 04:24 PM.

MJRuff01 is offline Junior Member
    I notice a much better overall effect if I start to drink my postworkout carb/protein drink while I still have 15 minutes or so left in my workout. Sip it slowly so that by time I am done working out I am done with the drink. I get noticebly better recovery and strength improvement this way. Most likely due to the fact that you can shuttle glucose into muscle tissue during exercise without insulin so by drinking it during the workout at the tail end, you are maximizing the uptake of nutrients into the muscle cell and minimizing the overall surge of insulin which will activate glucose transporters on fat cells as well.

good info, makes sense, thanks dude

Thread Information