SilverBuilt is offline Junior Member

How much protein before you stop absorbing?

I've read that their is a maximum amount of protein that your body can absorb in a single day. Additionally, I know that your body takes in more protein than normal immediately after a hard workout, but do AAS actually cause your body to absorb more than it normally would at any given time? Thanks much in advance.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBuilt View Post
    I've read that their is a maximum amount of protein that your body can absorb in a single day. Additionally, I know that your body takes in more protein than normal immediately after a hard workout, but do AAS actually cause your body to absorb more than it normally would at any given time? Thanks much in advance.
    It's all dependent on the person. There is no 'magical number' at which your body switches off and stops absorbing protein. AAS do not cause your body to absorb more protein; they increase protein synthesis, allowing you to optimize your protein intake.

Tlee8769 is offline Associate Member
    I believe in quality of protein over quantity any day. Most people are supplementing there protein intake with a shake which is the complete wrong thing to do in my opinion.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Good question but a better question might be how much can u absorb in one sitting

Quote Originally Posted by Tlee8769 View Post
    I believe in quality of protein over quantity any day. Most people are supplementing there protein intake with a shake which is the complete wrong thing to do in my opinion.
    I'm the furthest thing from being a 'have 5 shakes a day!' guy, but I have to disagree with you. The key word here is 'supplement'. As long as a person is getting adequate protein from whole food sources, I see no issue with adding shakes (supplementing) to increase protein and/or total calories. The problem is when you see diets like:

Meal 1 - shake, 2 pieces brown bread

Meal 2 - apple and some peanut butter

Meal 3 - pre workout - shake and some almonds

Meal 4 - PWO shake + oats

Meal 5 - chicken breast and rice

Meal 6 - casein shake

Hardly any quality food at all, filled with shakes. THIS is not a good diet!

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    In terms of absorbing protein at any one time though? I've heard having any more than 30-40g in an hour (average) is a waste, not sure whether to believe the myth or not.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyy View Post
    In terms of absorbing protein at any one time though? I've heard having any more than 30-40g in an hour (average) is a waste, not sure whether to believe the myth or not.
    It's a myth, just reach your macros.

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I find that the more protein that i have the stinkier gas that i have because it doesnt get digested by myself, but by the flora living in my gut, which then gives me gas.

moral of story. pay attention to ur body, if you find that when u keep increasing, find a good balnce between diet and crappin lol. if u are having dirhhea every day with alot of protein, then mess with it..

oh and if u are having problems, metamucil is the best thing for GI flora problems. basciallly fiber gettin u cleaned out in there lol.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    ok so shakes are convenient and quick, what other protein source can you get into your body quick style, egg whites are easily drinkable, but im thinking about when your protein dish needs topping up a bit, eg I sometimes have a tin of crabmeat for something different but the protein content is only about 20 grams , really i suppose it should be two cans, but its expensive so what about some kind of supplement.

Tlee8769 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I'm the furthest thing from being a 'have 5 shakes a day!' guy, but I have to disagree with you. The key word here is 'supplement'. As long as a person is getting adequate protein from whole food sources, I see no issue with adding shakes (supplementing) to increase protein and/or total calories. The problem is when you see diets like:

Meal 1 - shake, 2 pieces brown bread

Meal 2 - apple and some peanut butter

Meal 3 - pre workout - shake and some almonds

Meal 4 - PWO shake + oats

Meal 5 - chicken breast and rice

Meal 6 - casein shake

Hardly any quality food at all, filled with shakes. THIS is not a good diet!
    Yeah I agree that if they are getting theier protein from a whole food source then that would be a on the side of quality but quite a few of these diets have 2 or more shakes per day and its from dairy which is not at all a whole food source its garbage for your whole system. And the problem is in that you say supplementing in shakes most likely you mean Whey which is fine but it also has to be based on a whole food source not a dairy.

I'll agree with you on that. Natural sources of protein are better absorbed, so i've heard. I have a preference towards fish, turkey, and egg whites myself.

Thanks all for the help. So AAS dont' increase absorbtion. And i'm going to continue to assume that you can absorb slightly more after hard excercise than any other time.

Egg Whites?

These days there are things like Egg Beaters, which produce what i'm assume is some sort of synthetic egg white. Which I am assuming isn't as good with absorbtion as the egg white that you get out of the egg and throw away the rest. Too bad I hate wasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlee8769 View Post
    Yeah I agree that if they are getting theier protein from a whole food source then that would be a on the side of quality but quite a few of these diets have 2 or more shakes per day and its from dairy which is not at all a whole food source its garbage for your whole system. And the problem is in that you say supplementing in shakes most likely you mean Whey which is fine but it also has to be based on a whole food source not a dairy.
    For people who can handle dairy (in terms of digesting it without gas/bloat issues), it's an absolutely fine quality source of protein. I disagree with the above 100%

gotcha, thanks for the info.

Yeah, if I were to guess I would say that the fart thing is probably because whatever, your not absorbing and digesting the bacteria on the GI tract get a chance to have at it.

Thread Information