RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!

myostatin related muscle hypertrophy

don't know if this belongs in the diet section, but here goes.

I watched a show last night that showed in which a 3 year old with an unusual disorder, and it has been on my mind ever since. Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy is a rare condition characterized by reduced body fat and increased muscle size. Affected individuals have up to twice the usual amount of muscle mass in their bodies. They also tend to have increased muscle strength. Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy is not known to cause any medical problems, and affected individuals are intellectually normal. I guess my question is there any way to turn this gene 'off' or is it just an abnormality like other genetic disorders. I know that scientists have genetically altered some mice that do not the myostatin gene and those mice are now called 'Mighty Mice." Its the same thing with the genetically altered cattle, their muscle mass to fat ratio is just insane! I haven't done a ton of research on it yet, just wondering people's comments/thoughts on the subject.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i think i answered my own question. i googled myostatin inhibitor and there was a thread on it already. whoooooops

RelaxBro is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    don't know if this belongs in the diet section, but here goes.

I watched a show last night that showed in which a 3 year old with an unusual disorder, and it has been on my mind ever since. Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy is a rare condition characterized by reduced body fat and increased muscle size. Affected individuals have up to twice the usual amount of muscle mass in their bodies. They also tend to have increased muscle strength. Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy is not known to cause any medical problems, and affected individuals are intellectually normal. I guess my question is there any way to turn this gene 'off' or is it just an abnormality like other genetic disorders. I know that scientists have genetically altered some mice that do not the myostatin gene and those mice are now called 'Mighty Mice." Its the same thing with the genetically altered cattle, their muscle mass to fat ratio is just insane! I haven't done a ton of research on it yet, just wondering people's comments/thoughts on the subject.
    Theres no way to turn it off, its a genetic mutation. Youre born with it. Theres a lot of supplements out there marketed as myostatin inhibitors but i think theyre all crap. Flex Wheeler has this mutation btw.

Thread Information