Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nevergiveup is offline Junior Member

Whats up from a fit fat guy

Whats up from a fit fat guy

Hola, I am in the process of educating myself on some supplementation and experimentation. I am 30 I have trained in martial arts most of my life and as of late been having trouble losing this last 40lbs and getting into the best shape of my life.

I am seriously considering some cutting agents and see where it goes. I am not sure what body type I perfer since I have had both a thin athletic build when I was younger and now I have a fit body with too much excess body fat. I lookforward to the dicussion on the board and appreciate all the input.

Just started training beginner MMA (Striking/BJJ) toinght, my kicks are good but without the belly it would be alot better.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome!

Might be a good idea and go ahead and post up what you eat to get started so the guys can make suggestions....

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Welcome!

Might be a good idea and go ahead and post up what you eat to get started so the guys can make suggestions....
    ^^^This, and pics too.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    don't worry about any supplements or anything until these guys get your diet straight. trust me, you just made a great choice by getting on this board. post your current stats (age, weight, height, bf% if known), diet, and goals, so that they can help you get started on your journey.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Exactly what the others have said. Post up your diet, routine, and stats. No 'cutting agents' will correct poor eating habits (not saying you have them). In fact, they'll be a big waste of money unless you have your fundamentals in check first.

I don't know if this is the kind of picture you want but its all I can give for now. If your talking felxing poses let me know lol. I am 5'11 245 right now I would guess I am 21% BF right now. I am conditioning wise able to run, jump rope my hear out. I train right now martial arts 2-4 times a week hour classes. Now diet, this is where I have so much misinformation I get get my head straight. I currently eat mostly like the paleo way of eating but like tonight we had pizza.

I take creatine on and off and I will try to get 100grams of protein on most day. Last year I lost a ton of weight, I went from 290 down to 238 around last sept and then gained some back over the holidays.

One of my main problems has been one I don't know what a good weight would be for me and two since I don't know that I don't have a diet plan. Being that I train MMA as a 30 year old and I want to move faster and be stronger I would think Some where around 200 will fit me nicely since I am a bulky framed guy. If more info is need please let me know and I will post tonight.

Not sure how to get the picture up

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Exactly what the others have said. Post up your diet, routine, and stats. No 'cutting agents' will correct poor eating habits (not saying you have them). In fact, they'll be a big waste of money unless you have your fundamentals in check first.
    Very good to know. I think there is a problem with people thinking and myself included that things like T3 or other agents might be an easy wayout for bad eating habits and such. One thing that killed me last year during my weight loss was I lost all that weight and still had a gut could run forever and train MMA spar, fight for hours and never even got close to losing the stomach.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    You and chuck "the ice man"

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Here is one way to post the pics,

1 Publish the picture to the web, Use a service like photobucket to publish your picture to the web

2 Go to the picture in photobucket that you want to post and open it to the size you would like to see it on Steroid .com usually around 70% is good.

3 Now right click the photo and on the menu select properties, this is the web address of your photo.

4 Copy the web address to the clipboard on your computer.

5 Now go to the thread where you want to post your picture and select the post picture icon ( the 4th one from the right on the bottom column.

6 Now paste the web address from your clipboard into the space provided.

7 That’s it as complicated as it sounds it’s really not it’s just a lot of typing, once you know how to do it the whole procedure of taking a photo from your computer publishing to photobucket and inserting the web address (URL) into the insert photo dialogue box takes less than a minute.

FFM

Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    You and chuck "the ice man"
    You said it Nepets except mine isnt a beer belly lol.

Here is a picture of my body type. I would say enomorph right.

n00bs is offline Member
    Start squats bench dead rows

youll be fine mate.. I started as a fat 110kg pos.. Start lifitng big and you will be amazed.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post

youll be fine mate.. I started as a fat 110kg pos.. Start lifitng big and you will be amazed.

Good luck
    Thanks Noobs, not sure I want or should bulk. I am training fighting and would like to be faster, thinner and be about 9% body fat. What do you are you thought? I can bulk quickly unfortunately muscle and fat.

don't bulk. Get rid of the fat and then you can think about bulking.

don't bulk. Get rid of the fat and then you can think about bulking.
    I think something is wrong in my diet now maybe even the fact I am not eating enough or something. I was once told by a PT that I need to be eating in the range of 3500 to lose weight and feed my muscles. If you have decent muscle will using something to cut help burn off the fat I have been having trouble losing? Or will this be a waste. I am not trying to look like a model or anything.

I am trying to prime myself for being more fit then I have ever been in my life to this point. I need energy, some help getting this last 40 lbs off and wouldn't mind some additional muscle not much at this point.

you have a bodytype, it's fat. I have trained and even co-owned a fight club, your problem is just simply bodyfat. Forget the Magic Diet stuff, you look good for thirty but could be great by the end of this year and incredible within 3- 5 years. The type of lifting you do won't bulk you up, necessarily, but for your desired result I'd recommend some things sport specific. I would love to write you a specific program. Tell me about your schedule, when can you lift and when do you fight train? Also, forget the cutting agents for now, if you want to do anything you could start the ECA stack. Also post your exact diet with macros. I do think you will find that you can be in the best shape of your life over 30 for sure and continue to progress for years and years to come. Being stronger makes everything you do when fighting more effective and your body able to withstand more as well. It will increase your ability to deliver pain and withstand it.

Good luck
    Sorry n00bs, but don't you think this is a bit vague??

OP - nothing wrong with incorporating these lifts as part of a good workout regimen, but you clearly need to get a decent diet running and learn all of the fundamentals. It's certainly not just about 'lifting big'.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    you have a bodytype, it's fat. I have trained and even co-owned a fight club, your problem is just simply bodyfat. Forget the Magic Diet stuff, you look good for thirty but could be great by the end of this year and incredible within 3- 5 years. The type of lifting you do won't bulk you up, necessarily, but for your desired result I'd recommend some things sport specific. I would love to write you a specific program. Tell me about your schedule, when can you lift and when do you fight train? Also, forget the cutting agents for now, if you want to do anything you could start the ECA stack. Also post your exact diet with macros. I do think you will find that you can be in the best shape of your life over 30 for sure and continue to progress for years and years to come. Being stronger makes everything you do when fighting more effective and your body able to withstand more as well. It will increase your ability to deliver pain and withstand it.
    thats a great way to put things into perspective. sounds like you found the right place man. just write down what you put in your mouth everyday (and put times), and these guys will straighten you out!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A question for Tbody and others,

Looking at the OPs physique and with the little I know of MMA I would think that concentrating on the lower body is a wise choice (not to the point of neglecting the upper of course). It seems to me that unless one has been heavily involved in athletics through the 20s that the lower body particularly the quads and all the connective tissues in the knees and ankles are generally lacking. For anyone who wishes to train in or compete in MMA this can be a major downfall, I have seen guys in 140-165 lb classes do well with skinny legs but in the light heavy to heavy classes its really tempting fate.

Do you guys agree with this and if so what kind of training do you recommend to your MMA athletes for lower body? At the gym where I train there are a lot of trainers who are specializing in functional strenght training and Sleds, Ropes and Tires and various floor work seem to make up a fairly large portion of the lower body and core routines.

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Sorry n00bs, but don't you think this is a bit vague??

OP - nothing wrong with incorporating these lifts as part of a good workout regimen, but you clearly need to get a decent diet running and learn all of the fundamentals. It's certainly not just about 'lifting big'.
    Well i could post the guy a whole diet and training routine...

But he needs to learn,

5 3 1 would be good...

Eat whole foods... Carbs pre / post workout.... Protein with every meal..

Were still waiting for him to post his diet. Not much else we can do besides do everything for him?

He is 30, i would get a hormonal profile done and a basic check by the doc to make sure we arnt wasting time....

The rest is up to him in terms of education. There are many ways to skin a cat.

much of the striking power for all fighters comes from the lower body. Definitely would work on improving this.

Well i could post the guy a whole diet and training routine...

But he needs to learn,

5 3 1 would be good...

Eat whole foods... Carbs pre / post workout.... Protein with every meal..

Were still waiting for him to post his diet. Not much else we can do besides do everything for him?

He is 30, i would get a hormonal profile done and a basic check by the doc to make sure we arnt wasting time....

The rest is up to him in terms of education. There are many ways to skin a cat.
    I get ya... but your post could have been taken as 'all you need to do are these lifts and you'll look great'. Maybe only an idiot would take just that from your post, but there are alot of idiots around (not saying you OP)

First I hope you all know I do appreciate everything your telling me and your time also. I am very endomorph, I have tried atkins and modified low carb diets. I have trained so hard in the past year even after a miniscus tear I lost a ton of weight but I still carry loose body fat around my stomach and chest. I feel great muscle wise, I have very strong legs, chest arms and I even get some vascularity in my arms when I train. Thats why I titled the post fit fat guy.

An example of what I had today and is somewhat typical: (I travel on the road nearly all day if this helps)

Morning: Apple (some mornings I have time to make 5 or six eggs and baccon)

Mid Morning: banana

Luch: Chicfila Two Chargill club sams with no buns

Dinner: Pork chop size of my hand, Asparagus 10 spears, two cups stove top, and two cups of broc.

My training profile as of this month:

I switched from Okinawan karate to BJJ/MMA this week. This week I did striking class for an hour at night, again the next morning and then the same night I did an hour of BJJ. Tonight I will be doing an hour of striking again. For the last three months

I haven't really lifted much I do stuff here and there but I wont BS and say I have some plan. I had to sign to a gym in order to take the MMA clases and they have a great facility with everything and including a boxing ring, bags etc. So I am looking for a program to help me keep the muscle I have, lose fat somehow and work on things to improve in martial arts. TMI?

well the good news is, we now know why your having trouble losing weight. I'll let the pros chime in here, but you should realy look at what other people have for diets in this forum. They eat 5-6 meals meals a day and their calories are more evenly spread out. You wont find a meal with just a banana. You should try to get protein during every meal also. Prepairing food ahead of time will be the key for you where you spend a lot of time on the road. On Sunday, make your meals for the week. This will insure you have the food you need to make smart choices and get the nutrients you need. Once you get this diet in line, I think you will be happy with the results.
    Last edited by Nephets; 04-13-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
    First I hope you all know I do appreciate everything your telling me and your time also. I am very endomorph, I have tried atkins and modified low carb diets. I have trained so hard in the past year even after a miniscus tear I lost a ton of weight but I still carry loose body fat around my stomach and chest. I feel great muscle wise, I have very strong legs, chest arms and I even get some vascularity in my arms when I train. Thats why I titled the post fit fat guy.

An example of what I had today and is somewhat typical: (I travel on the road nearly all day if this helps)

Morning: Apple (some mornings I have time to make 5 or six eggs and baccon)

Mid Morning: banana

Luch: Chicfila Two Chargill club sams with no buns

Dinner: Pork chop size of my hand, Asparagus 10 spears, two cups stove top, and two cups of broc.
    Real pics would be a great start - don't necessarily need to be posing, but do need to see your body, legs, etc. Clothed pics really do us no good at all. From that one pic you posted, I have to agree with Tbody in saying, with all due respect, you simply look fat. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, just trying to be realistic here. The good news is you've come to the right place if you're ready to change your life.

Nephets is spot on with what he said - bro, your diet if you can even call it that is HORRENDOUS. You're not making good food choices to begin with, and based on the above your are seriously undereating. Starving yourself is not the key or answer to weight loss. In fact, it's a recipe to slow your metabolism, burn your lean body mass, and store NEW bodyfat. That's right, you can eat fewer calories than you burn in a day and still add bodyfat.

An apple or bacon and eggs is not a comparable meal. Bacon has no place in your diet. Look into lean Canadian bacon if you want a breakfast meat. Even turkey bacon. A banana isn't a meal, it's about 25g of sugar and if eaten by itself as you're doing, will do absolutely NOTHING for you.

Take a look at one of my diets below for an example of something more balanced and clean. Take note of the meal timing, macro placements, and food choices. I'm not posting it for you to copy as we undoubtedly have different nutritional needs, but instead am hoping you can get some ideas from it.

GB's Current Diet:

PROTEIN/CARBS/FAT/TOTAL CALORIES

MEAL 1 - PRE-WORKOUT
    4:30am

Premier protein shake - 30/5/3/160
    1 cup oats - 10/52/5/280
    1 Extra Large Whole Egg - 7/0/5/90
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites - 12/2/0/60
    1/2 cup blueberries - 0/10/0/40

TOTALS: 60/70/12.5/620

5:30am - WORKOUT, followed by 1 hour cardio

MEAL 2 - POST WORKOUT
    7:30am

1 cup oats - 10/52/5/280
    2 scoops Myofusion - 50/10/6/315

TOTAL: 60/60/11/600

MEAL 3
    10:00am

6oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - 36/0/2.5/165
    7oz Sweet Potato - 3/35/0/150
    1 Cup Green Beans - 1/4/0/20

TOTALS: 40/40/2/350

MEAL 4
    1:00pm

4oz 95/5 Lean Ground Beef - 35/0/7/200
    1/2 cup (a little over) Brown Rice - 5/40/1/180
    1/4 cup tomato sauce - 0/3/0/12
    2 cups baby spinach - 2/2/0/15

TOTALS: 40/45/8/415

MEAL 5
    4:00pm

3/4 cup 1% Milk Fat Cottage Cheese, No Sodium Added: 20/7.5/2.5/135
    1 scoop ON 100% Casein - 24/3/1/120
    2tbsp PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - 4/6/1/50

TOTALS: 50/15/4/300

MEAL 6
    7:00pm

6oz Broiled Tilapia - 35/0/3/165
    1 cup broccoli - 3/6/0/30
    1tsp EVOO - 0/0/5/45

TOTALS: 40/6/8/235

MEAL 7
    10:00pm

1 cup 1% Milk Fat Cottage Cheese, No Sodium Added: 26/10/3/180

TOTALS: 26/10/3/180 (could add more fats here but happy with totals as is)

DAILY TOTALS: 315/250/50/2700

46% protein, 37% carbs, 17% fat

I can see I am under eating, even for someone who doesn't train. Now you say our nutritional needs are differn't, I am trying to lose body fat and maintain what muscle mass I do have and then build upon a good foundation. Do you feel the caloric intake you have there is close to what I need and do I still need 1.5 g of protein per pound of body weight.

Based on your stats, I have your maintenance figured somewhere around 3000/day. Keep in mind that can easily deviate +/- a few hundred calories. My method is far from scientific and only provides a general starting point.

To keep it simple, you need to create a caloric deficit. You can achieve this through a combination of calorie restriction and cardio. I'd rely more on the latter. With that, my diet above, strictly speaking in terms of macros, might actually be good for you. It's a 2700 calorie diet, and you would widen that gap even further via cardio. The above is not a cutting diet for me, I have to cut on around 2300 calories or so.

PS - keep in mind I am basing everything i'm saying on the numbers you provided. Without seeing shirtless pics, it's impossible to tell - but I would venture to guess you're well above 21% bodyfat. You don't appear to have 195lbs of lean, just sayin. For instance, I'm also 5'11, sitting at around 12% in my avy and was about 190 (currently about 14% 195lbs, ugh).

I like 1.5g/lb of LBM, not total bodyweight. My example diet above is more like 2g/lb, just fyi.

I can see I am under eating, even for someone who doesn't train. Now you say our nutritional needs are differn't, I am trying to lose body fat and maintain what muscle mass I do have and then build upon a good foundation. Do you feel the caloric intake you have there is close to what I need and do I still need 1.5 g of protein per pound of body weight.
    Calculate your needs and stick with maintenance cals, let the deficiency come from exercise. If you read the post about over-eating any of the macro-nutrients, even protein, and how they inhibit fat burning you would realize you don't need that much protein. You need to lose fat, period. I would guess that you eat way more than you posted. You need to drop all pork from your diet and include all cheats during the day in your posts. You would be skinny fat if you only ate what you posted(there is no way you could maintain your bodyweight with that few of calories).

I will give this a good try and see how my body reacts. That is what I ate today, I do have days where we have pizza or something like that; I want to get where I deserve to be physically so no under estimates from this side. I will get a pic up of me shirtless so I know where I stand. I am doing BJJ and striking (MMA) four times a week, which I would consider more on the cardio side. I am not currently lifting and will probably begin here this week. Thanks again gentlemen for the input.

This one is from latter part of 2010, will get another pic here soon. And yea its kinda lame but I was proud of the weight I was losing. The picture above is a little older I believe probably more towards the begining of 2010 I believe.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by nevergiveup; 04-13-2011 at 09:09 PM.

I'd love to help with the weight training program, let me know if you're interested, and what time you'd have available to dedicate to incorporating that into your life.

I'd love to help with the weight training program, let me know if you're interested, and what time you'd have available to dedicate to incorporating that into your life.
    TB66,

I work for my family's business so I have many opportunities to train, I'm a morning trainer; I perfer to get up 5am and train. My MMA classes are both morning and night depending on my work load I sometime do two classes in a day. My classes are in a gym so I again have more opportunities to train but I don't want to over train right? I would love someone who knows what they are talking about to help me, I will do what you suggest and keep my stats posted weekly and post some pics also.

Hey I also was curious about turkey patties, I have this versus ground beef and I can eat them on the road. I also have steel cut oats but i haven't been eating them because I have been trying to keep my carbs low, but as you can see I don't know ish about dieting for training.
    Last edited by nevergiveup; 04-13-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

well the good news is, we now know why your having trouble losing weight. I'll let the pros chime in here, but you should realy look at what other people have for diets in this forum. They eat 5-6 meals meals a day and their calories are more evenly spread out. You wont find a meal with just a banana. You should try to get protein during every meal also. Prepairing food ahead of time will be the key for you where you spend a lot of time on the road. On Sunday, make your meals for the week. This will insure you have the food you need to make smart choices and get the nutrients you need. Once you get this diet in line, I think you will be happy with the results.
    Thanks Nephets I will try the Making the meals deal that way there is no chance to cheat. Thanks brother

you have a bodytype, it's fat. .
    I just noticed this and I died laughing. I have no word brother. I am curious what an ECA stack is.

TB66,

I work for my family's business so I have many opportunities to train, I'm a morning trainer; I perfer to get up 5am and train. My MMA classes are both morning and night depending on my work load I sometime do two classes in a day. My classes are in a gym so I again have more opportunities to train but I don't want to over train right? I would love someone who knows what they are talking about to help me, I will do what you suggest and keep my stats posted weekly and post some pics also.

Hey I also was curious about turkey patties, I have this versus ground beef and I can eat them on the road. I also have steel cut oats but i haven't been eating them because I have been trying to keep my carbs low, but as you can see I don't know ish about dieting for training.
    It's a deal. I'll work on your program and get it posted today, I'll make it fight training specific and we'll see how fast we can get you on the fast track to being a bad-a** in and out of the ring. Turkey burger is a better choice, chicken breast or fish would be my recommendation over turkey. Steel cut oats are a great choice.

It's a deal. I'll work on your program and get it posted today, I'll make it fight training specific and we'll see how fast we can get you on the fast track to being a bad-a** in and out of the ring. Turkey burger is a better choice, chicken breast or fish would be my recommendation over turkey. Steel cut oats are a great choice.
    I usually have access to tuna and turkey bugers since they are least expensive and chicken breast are easy to come by for my wife. I have casein powder and whey for after training to supplement. I have been doing a lot of surfing and I came across anavar and it seems pretty damn awesome. It seems up my ally for training however it seems you guys dont recommend taking anything now right.

I am looking for something to kick start me and give me energy and some mild gains and weight loss in there also. It seems from the bio this anavar might be in that range. What are you thought on this?

Thanks

calstate23 is offline Banned
    I don't know if this is the kind of picture you want but its all I can give for now. If your talking felxing poses let me know lol. I am 5'11 245 right now I would guess I am 21% BF right now. I am conditioning wise able to run, jump rope my hear out. I train right now martial arts 2-4 times a week hour classes. Now diet, this is where I have so much misinformation I get get my head straight. I currently eat mostly like the paleo way of eating but like tonight we had pizza.

I take creatine on and off and I will try to get 100grams of protein on most day. Last year I lost a ton of weight, I went from 290 down to 238 around last sept and then gained some back over the holidays.

One of my main problems has been one I don't know what a good weight would be for me and two since I don't know that I don't have a diet plan. Being that I train MMA as a 30 year old and I want to move faster and be stronger I would think Some where around 200 will fit me nicely since I am a bulky framed guy. If more info is need please let me know and I will post tonight.
    Looks like they got you covered.....But man bump up that protein, 100 grams for you is NOTHING. Even 200 grams is nothing..You should at least be around 250-300 grams...More towards 300....Even if you are cutting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information