johncalvin is offline Junior Member

How many simple carbs?

Should I be consuming after a workout? It's never really been too much of a concern to me but now gains are slowing and i read it can really help. I usually have jus a small-medium glass of orange juice and some black berries(wit addition to a complex carb usually oats). I guesstimate it to be around 50-60 grams, but I've been reading around on the board and some guys are consuming like 150grams. And also should I count these simple carbs into my total macros?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A combination of simple and complex carbs PWO will stimulate muscle growth. Some people on this board will take the path of putting 50+ gr of maltodextrin in their bodies, which I strongly disagree with merely from a health/longevity point of view. -

What are your stats? Make sure you specify your bodyweight, bodyfat and height. Then we can talk about macros.

I'm 5'10 and i orbit around 200 in the morning after a good dump. As far as bodyfat i'm 10-12% bf and thats a very conservative estimate. I'm not the kinda guy who says hes 8% when hes really 17%. My macros are around 400-450 grams of protein , 250-300 carbs, and i don't pay attention to fat. I've only been counting carbs from nonfibrous sources n don't count incomplete protein.

Cycle history jus for the sake of mentoining it
    Did otc prohormone forget the name. I had no knowledge of anything. Cycle lasted 4 weeks.

And since then i've done two test e cycle. Thinking about running testprop/tren ace this time next year.
    Last edited by johncalvin; 05-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Even if your goal is lean bulking, 250-300gr of carbs a day is too low for a guy with your stats, IMO.

If you have a fast carb metabolism, meaning that you do not bloat after a carb meal nor does your body start storing a significant amount of BF when you up your carbs respectively, I would strongly advice you to increase your daily carb intake.

Also, I think you should start paying attention to your daily fat intake for various reasons, in terms of both your daily calories from it and the sources of fat.

How old are you and for how long have you been training properly?

27, been at it close to 6 years. But back to the question..lol. How many grams of sugar do you think should i consume after workout? And how well do sugars from oj and other juices compare to dextrose and maltodextrin ? I don't like doing the whole supplement thing. As far as my overall carb intake goes i agree with you to an extent. I guess i jus have a little bit too much hate for carbs. When i first started dieting i was eating too many carbs and got fat and i never want to be fat again lol.

Again, my opinion on consumption of high rates of simple sugars in one sitting remains the same, regardless of anyone's stats: from the perspective of human health, I would never suggest a massive intake of ANY form of simple sugars, especially in a matter of seconds. I can indeed make a quite convincing rationalization as to why and support it with data, but it will certainly get us off the topic here.

You can try throwing a medium size banana in the blender along with some oats, your choice of protein powder with enough water to carry all the nutritions along. This is much healthier than an instantenous consumption of 50+ gr of maltodextrin and it will work for you as far as replenishing of both muscle and liver glycogen.

Thank you for your input. I was jus reading about these guys eating 150 grams of sugar post workout and that jus doesn't feel right to me,ya kno? lol

NP.

You should ask those guys who are consuming 150 grams of sugar post workout aboutType 2 diabetes and the relation between high blood sugar and Pancreatic, Liver & Colorectal cancer risk. See what they have to say about these, if anything reasonable.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Even if your goal is lean bulking, 250-300gr of carbs a day is too low for a guy with your stats, IMO.
    If you have a fast carb metabolism, meaning that you do not bloat after a carb meal nor does your body start storing a significant amount of BF when you up your carbs respectively, I would strongly advice you to increase your daily carb intake.

Also, I think you should start paying attention to your daily fat intake for various reasons, in terms of both your daily calories from it and the sources of fat.

How old are you and for how long have you been training properly?
    Without knowing what his intake of fats are I dont think it's possible to gauge whether or not that's enough carbs. If he is sitting around 100 grams of fat that puts him right about 4000 calories which I think is more than sufficient.

Thread Information