pheenyx1 is offline Associate Member

How much protein can my body metabolise?

Stats: 41yo/170lbs/5'7"/14.5%bf/working out 5 yrs.
    I have heard all these #s thrown around. Mostly 15 grams at a time. What does that mean? 15 grams an hour? I am eating 6 to 8 meals a day (8 if you count whey shakes.) Am I waisting anything over 15 grams of protein in each meal? I have also heard that it is important to spike the protein levels in my blood. So if I am sipping a whey shake all day, is this counter productive?

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Your standard protein intake is 1.5 x your lean body mass, give or take. Some will disagree but this is a good starting point. That would be aprox 220 g of protein per day for you. Just divide this by he amount of meals you eat and that's your number.

As for the spiking of blood sugar, I'm thinking they are telling you to eat something with your protein, ie good fat or carb. It acts as a carrier for the nutrient. Never have a protein only meal.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    I go 60-65g of protein per meal (7 meals a day). I don't buy into that 40-50g ONLY theory. I just listen to my body and use trial and error.

Your stats are more relevant then a magic max number. Eat what your body needs.

Actually it was about needing to have spikes in PROTEIN. Not sure where I read it, but the gist was that the rise in protein levels from baseline was more important than just keeping a steady level all day.

I also add 2tbs of honey to my pwo shake because I have heard that spiking insulin after your workout helps.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzer View Post
    I go 60-65g of protein per meal (7 meals a day). I don't buy into that 40-50g ONLY theory. I just listen to my body and use trial and error.
    Thats a myth. Its been proven time and time again by nutirtion experts like Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon.

You can eat your entire protein intake in one meal and the emount which is needed for protein synthesis inside muscle tissues and repair will be used and the excess meerly excreted.

Excess protein will also not make you fat.

Quote Originally Posted by pheenyx1 View Post
    I also add 2tbs of honey to my pwo shake because I have heard that spiking insulin after your workout helps.
    Your better off with a complex carb here. No need to intentionally spike your blood sugar.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    Never have a protein only meal.
    You are correct you always want to have fats or carbs w/ your protein to aid/slow down absorption, but a carb only meal IMO is worse than a protein only meal.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pheenyx1 View Post
    Actually it was about needing to have spikes in PROTEIN. Not sure where I read it, but the gist was that the rise in protein levels from baseline was more important than just keeping a steady level all day.
    There is no such thing as protein spike. You must be confusing it with insulin spike.

Thread Information