CJerps is offline New Member

6'1 and 135lbs I NEED HELP!!!

So i was just on one of the other sections of the forums and they basically sent me over here saying that my diet isnt right so i guess im in need of some help over here!!

Im 23, 6'1 and 135 lbs. Im really tall and really skinny and no matter how much i eat, i can never gain any weight. I used to try the whole protein shake thing but id slam one shake down and i wouldnt eat for the rest of the day because it made me so full! I honestly have no idea what to do, what to eat or take and im pretty worried because I just dont look good!

Much appreciated if somebody could help me out!! Thanks

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome! You came to the right place....

To get the ball rolling please post up a typical full day of what you eat and when. This will help the diet gurus help you to sort this out so you can make some good clean mass gains.

Good luck! Glad you decided to come on over to the diet forum~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Just gotta force the food down bro. Why don't you write down what you eat for a couple days and come back and we'll tell you where you're going wrong. Go get some blood work done and have your thyroid levels checked. T3, T4 and TSH levels. Honestly if you get full from a shake and cant' eat for the day I'm betting its just a matter of making yourself eat

kelevra is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJerps View Post
    So i was just on one of the other sections of the forums and they basically sent me over here saying that my diet isnt right so i guess im in need of some help over here!!

Im 23, 6'1 and 135 lbs. Im really tall and really skinny and no matter how much i eat, i can never gain any weight. I used to try the whole protein shake thing but id slam one shake down and i wouldnt eat for the rest of the day because it made me so full! I honestly have no idea what to do, what to eat or take and im pretty worried because I just dont look good!

Much appreciated if somebody could help me out!! Thanks
    CJerps

Posts:3Lol trust me i eat a alot. I dont know whats wrong but i cannot gain any weight.

1 shake a day is nothing, but you are right. It will take awhile for your system to adjust being fed. You will prob have to start out with 6 smaller meals and grow them toward the Macro's needed. Do you have any current eating plan???

Ok so to be perfectly honest, I dont really have any diet or meal plans i live at home with my mom and sister so i eat whatever is for dinner. Usually when i wake up before work ill have a glass of OJ and a bowl of Almond crunch cereal. Then for lunch (i work 5 days a week) ill usually eat 2 sandwiches mainly turkey breast or chicken with lettuce mayo etc. and dinner is the complicated part because i do go out to eat alot but when i do go out i try to eat the more healthy type stuff like chicken mashed potatoes and asparagus, or chicken teriyaki rice bowls steaks etc and then when i do it at home its basically what a normal household would eat for dinner like spaghetti, chilli, seafood, steaks etc. Im sorry im all very new to this and i dont really have and solid meal or steroid plans i have alot of friends that juice and they told me to get 2 bottles of sustanon 250 and deca so thats what i did but i havent started yet

This is an easy thing to add for a meal as you learn how to improve the rest.
    1 cup liquid egg whites
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup oats
    let soak about 10min to soften oats
    add scoop of whey protein or a yogurt for taste and blend

Ok so to be perfectly honest, I dont really have any diet or meal plans i live at home with my mom and sister so i eat whatever is for dinner. Usually when i wake up before work ill have a glass of OJ and a bowl of Almond crunch cereal. Then for lunch (i work 5 days a week) ill usually eat 2 sandwiches mainly turkey breast or chicken with lettuce mayo etc. and dinner is the complicated part because i do go out to eat alot but when i do go out i try to eat the more healthy type stuff like chicken mashed potatoes and asparagus, or chicken teriyaki rice bowls steaks etc and then when i do it at home its basically what a normal household would eat for dinner like spaghetti, chilli, seafood, steaks etc. Im sorry im all very new to this and i dont really have and solid meal or steroid plans i have alot of friends that juice and they told me to get 2 bottles of sustanon 250 and deca so thats what i did but i havent started yet
    as we said in other post you have, DO NOT start cycle yet. Food is the most anabolic thing you need right now. You'll get there.

Ok good idea, starting tomorrow ill write down everything i eat and at what times for the next 3 days and kelevra ill try doing that starting today

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Alright well thanks very much!! the problem is i cant eat that much in a day id love to but i cant even handle it lol when i over eat i just get sick!! To be honest i dont even really have a regular diet plan ill just eat whatevers for breakfast lunch and dinner, and alot of the time i just go out to eat. I wouldnt say i dont eat totally unhealthy though like when i go out i usually eat chicken with mashed potatoes and asparagus or teriyaki chicken rice bowls loaded with veggies pasta at home steak i guess things you would picture a normal family household eating. sorry if its not much help its only because i dont really have a meal plan or anything

A quote from your thread in the AAS Q&A section. some tips to start

1 You don't have to overeat, you just have to eat more often, 5-8 times a day and the meals don't have to be huge.

2. You need quality protiens and quality carbs. Chicken, white fish, tuna, salmon, for protien, sweet potatoes, oats, whole wheat pasta, etc for carbs.

3. You're not going to gain weight without the right meal plan.

4. You also need some sources of healthy fats , omega3 and omega6 from sources like almonds, fish oil, extra virgin olive oil.

no i wont start my cycle yet but that was the other thing i wanted to ask...what kind of protein do i get!?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    no i wont start my cycle yet but that was the other thing i wanted to ask...what kind of protein do i get!?
    Definitely don't start the cycle. The only result you'll see at this point is an emptied wallet, I PROMISE you that.

Not sure what you're getting at with your question, but below are some solid choices of what you should be constructing your new diet with:

Lean Proteins: Chicken Breast (boneless/skinless), Turkey Breast (boneless/skinless), egg whites, some dairy (cottage cheese, skim milk within reason, greek yogurt), protein powders (whey, casein, egg albumen, blends, etc), flaky white fish (tilapia, fluke, cod, etc), lean ground beef (I use 95/5), lean steaks (sirloin and flank are decent), bison (excellent choice), lean pork, etc

Starchy Complex Carbs: Oats, Rice (brown, basmati), sweet potato/yam, quinoa, lentils, beans, cous cous, grits, etc

Fibrous Veggie Carbs: leafy greens such as broccoli, asparagus, green beans, spinach, kale, green lettuces (not iceberg!), brussell sprouts, cauliflower, etc

Fruits: With your body type (very skinny) I have no problem at all with fruit in the diet. However, make smart choices - apples, bananas, etc. vs. something like pineapple which has a very high sugar content but not as nutrient dense as the others. Berries are also great - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, gojo's, etc

Healthy Fats: nuts, nut butters, oils (olive, macadamia nut, coconut, etc), fish oil caps

Naturally Occurring Protein/Fat Combos: whole eggs, fattier ground beef (I still wouldn't go more than 90/10), oily fish (salmon, spanish mackerel, sardines, etc.

Construct a diet using the above food choices (they're not the only ones) and some creativity. I wouldn't worry much about minute details at this point; just make sure you're eating more calories than you burn, make sure you have a good workout regimen, and you will put on quality weight.

Since you have a problem with large meal consumption, stick with 6-8 smaller meals/day. Keep starchy carbs focused around your workout (pre/post) and first meal of the day as well. Stick with fruits earlier in the day and/or around your workout window. Be sure to have a protein source in every meal. Add a healthy fat source to all of your non-starchy carb meals.

Most important, you need to eat enough. Without that, even the cleanest diet won't yield the results you desire. What is your BF%? Just because you're 6'1 and 135 doesn't necessarily mean your bodyfat is low. You may have very little LBM and a relatively high BF (skinny fat), so this is important to know. If you're not sure, post up a few pics and we can take a guess at it.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Wow awesome!!! thank you very much ok yea ill take some pictures and post them up asap! My only concern is that i work 5 days a week so im not really sure how i can fit in 6-8 meals/day because im so busy. As well, when im eating these 6-6 meals a day, how big should they be? like a half chicken breast per meal orr what?

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Wow awesome!!! thank you very much ok yea ill take some pictures and post them up asap! My only concern is that i work 5 days a week so im not really sure how i can fit in 6-8 meals/day because im so busy. As well, when im eating these 6-6 meals a day, how big should they be? like a half chicken breast per meal orr what?
    I would say the majority of us work. Its expensive to eat 6-8 meals a day so, ya got to work. It's all about meal prep. You have to know when you can eat at work. I work a 9-5 and I get 1hr for lunch and 2 15 min breaks. So I know I can eat breakfast at 7, 2nd meal at my 10am break, 3rd on my 11:30 lunch, 4th on my 3pm break, 5th at 6pm when I get home and my last meal just before bed. Look at your own schedule and see when and where you can eat. Try to get them 3 hrs apart or as close to that as posible. Next, take a look at what you will have time to prepare and eat in that time. On my 15 min break, I can nuke a chicken breast and add some green veg with some almonds and that only takes 2 minutes. Its that easy. The hard part is planning a head to see what I'm going to eat days in advance. That meal takes 2 minutes to make because I had planned it on the weekend and had the chicken cooked. This is what your going to have to get used to doing. On gym days I only have 15 min to eat the meal before. I nuke some oats and in a seperate container scramble some eggs and egg whites. Again your eating in under 3 min. Your first week will be the hardest. After that you know what you need to prepare a head of time. You will find most of the guys on this site eat the same meals at the same times every weekday. Much easier to plan and prepare this way. Its not rocket science, just takes some planning. good luck.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    What do you do for work?

Like Nephets said, the majority of us do as well. Most of us cook in bulk Sat or Sun, then store everything in tupperwares for the week. I leave my house at 5:30am every morning and don't get back until 6pm that evening, but i've managed to eat like this for years. I bring a large cooler to work and keep the day's worth of food in there.

It would be impossible to answer your question about meal size until we know how many calories you need to eat to put on weight. We don't talk in terms of 'half a chicken breast' or 'scoop of rice'. Buy yourself a food scale; it's critical that you weigh EVERYTHING you eat, otherwise you'll be guessing, and guessing doesn't work in this game. A food scale is the best investment you can make. You'll be measuring your food in terms of ounces, cups, grams, etc.

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    I get 30 mins for lunch and 2-15 mins breaks at my job. I asked my managers if I could just take 4-10 min breaks instead. so in reality I work 20 mins more a day this way while getting what I need to do. But food prep is the key! If you travel or what not make sandwiches with whole wheat bread, Boars Head low sodium natural turkey or chicken breast, olive oil mayo, and veggies. etc. It takes a lil creativity to do it, but sit down and make a plan, stick to it and you'll get results. I just got my diet under control and results came fast!

Planning is the key ...... the SECRET to all of this! I too am still trying to get this down to a science.

You are in GREAT hands here. Take advantage of it.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Gucks is offline Member
    ur the exact same weight i was when i started lifting, except i was even taller (6"3) and now ive been seriously dieting and training for 11 months and i was 184 ibs am weigh in today with 10% bf. u just gotta put ur mind to it! when i started i was nearly voming after everymeal, u just gotta force urself to eat untill u cant eat anymore. and keep the training simple, i wuld say train each muscle group 2x a week, going 2on, 1off, 2on, 2off. stick to ur basic compound movements and trust me, the gains will come!

take GB's advice, get a diet sorted out for yourself (i would say a personal trainer to help u get started is a good idea. i did when i first started training and didnt really know what i was doing). a trainer will sort a proper diet out for you asell, or else read the stickys and othert people threads on here to get an idea of what u shuld be doing, then post up a diet for people to critique. good luck!

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    Just gotta force the food down bro. Why don't you write down what you eat for a couple days and come back and we'll tell you where you're going wrong. Go get some blood work done and have your thyroid levels checked. T3, T4 and TSH levels. Honestly if you get full from a shake and cant' eat for the day I'm betting its just a matter of making yourself eat
    ^^This

Your stomach can and will stretch.. how do you think that japanese guy that eats 60 hot dogs and is only 135lbs does it?? it is about stretching your stomach out.. it will be uncomfortable for a week or so but if you keep doing it eventually you will adapt to consuming more food..

the bottom line is you do not eat enough..

you need to find your TDEE (google it) and add 500-800 calories on top of this.. of a combo of carbs and protein

also. what is your training like? do you go to the gym?

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by kelevra View Post
    This is an easy thing to add for a meal as you learn how to improve the rest.
    1 cup liquid egg whites
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup oats
    let soak about 10min to soften oats
    add scoop of whey protein or a yogurt for taste and blend
    i do almost the same as this but i add a frozen banana and some frozen strawberries and blend it together.. tastes great..

also, for this guy i think using full eggs is fine since he is so underweight.. the fat from eggs is a good fat (although high in cholesterol)

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    i do almost the same as this but i add a frozen banana and some frozen strawberries and blend it together.. tastes great..

also, for this guy i think using full eggs is fine since he is so underweight.. the fat from eggs is a good fat (although high in cholesterol)
    If he was to cook them. Can't put them in shake for risk of bacteria and raw eggs are not as high bioavailability.

snowbo is offline New Member
    Im no diet expert but i know that its the most important aspects next to sleep. Bodybuildng no matter how casual or serious we are talking about is all a progressive thing. your not gonna become Ronnie coleman over night. take it slow at the beginning, eat what you can and gradually increase your intake. youll find that youll be able to eat more and more as you go on. FInd the foods that work well with you and stick to them. it sucks to hear it but its all about knowledge, hardwork and most of all patience and time.
    just my $0.02 From a former 6ft 3, 176lber

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    Just going to talk about the forcing it down part again.

I'm the same. Well, I was. I'd always struggle to eat it all, I'd gip forcing down the last few gulps or mouthfuls but I tell you what. After a week, you'll be starved so often because your body is used to getting the amount of food you put in the week before. What I mean is, after a week or 2, it will seem easy to get it down and the weight will fly on with good training/sleep.

I was 130 4 years ago, now I'm 160 and now I am hoping to go to 200lbs. Meet you at the finish line buddy

^^^ nice post....
    Author Unknown

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    working out will also help you eat more. your metabolism will start picking up and once you get a good routine it will be clock work eating. you will know what time it is by counting how many meals you already had and being hungry again.

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    When forcing down those last few bites, mixing the food with water in your mouth makes it easier to swallow

Thread Information