Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Minion0812's Avatar
    Minion0812 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    234

    Egg Whites have to be cooked?

    Hi guys,

    just don't have the time in the mornings to do a fully cooking of egg whites. I throw them in a post workout shake with mixed berries and whey protein. It is my main liquid in the shake other than a bit of water. Usually around 8 egg whites per shake.

    Am I an idiot for ingesting them like this? Never been sick before but just wondering if I;m missing out on the total protein or is it still sufficient.

    Oh another thing is should I be minusing the protein amount per egg white if im ingesting them not cooking?

    thanks so much guys!!

  2. #2
    Nephets's Avatar
    Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    nova scotia
    Posts
    1,131
    It's fine to eat them like that. People do it all the time. And yea, count the protein.

  3. #3
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,440
    nothing really to worry about. you are taking a risk of eating eggs in the raw state but i do it all the time. there are a couple of threads on this in the diet section somewhere. i will try to find them for ya

  4. #4
    jtuner77 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    777
    If you want to eat egg whites you can just get them as Pasteurized egg whites. Make sure the liquid egg whites says Pasteurized on the box just for your safety.

  5. #5
    Minion0812's Avatar
    Minion0812 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    234
    thanks boys! Yes they are pastuirzed. Thanks saint fan if you can find those link that would be sick! Yeah ive just heard some people talk about how it is a waste ingesting them how i am and they HAVE to be cooked but oh well. Thanks boys appreciate it!!

  6. #6
    kelevra is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    612
    It sounds like you are drinking liquid whites from a carton. Yes they are great. Easy, 100% bio-available, and no bacteria. I start every morning with 2 cups whites soaked with 1 cup oats and then add one scoop of whey for flavor.

  7. #7
    MACHINE5150's Avatar
    MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,651
    no.. i eat 6 raw eggs every day with my shakes..

  8. #8
    Universal1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    100% egg whites all day, cooked or not cooked. If there not cooked i suggest adding them to your protein shake and blend. packs a lot of protein. theres a company in california that sells it in gallons, sold with a pump for easy use and measuring. not gunna post the name but google it (100%liquid egg whites)

  9. #9
    jtuner77 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by kelevra View Post
    It sounds like you are drinking liquid whites from a carton. Yes they are great. Easy, 100% bio-available, and no bacteria. I start every morning with 2 cups whites soaked with 1 cup oats and then add one scoop of whey for flavor.
    My morning shake is pretty much the same.

    2 cups Ice
    8 blueberries
    4 strawberries
    4" of banana
    3/4 cup of oats
    3/4 cup of egg whites
    1 scoop ON Natural Whey
    3/4 scoop ON Natural Casein
    2 tablespoons of ground Flax seed
    2 Metamusil bars(otherwise I dont get much poop out)
    Last edited by jtuner77; 05-19-2011 at 10:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Minion0812's Avatar
    Minion0812 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    234
    Thanks to you both! You know whta? 'm actually going to start dropping in oats to my morning post cardio shake. Like I was stating before consists of mixed frozed fruit (blu, stra and raspberries and frozen banana), 8 egg whites, veggie greens mix, scoop of 40g protein whey mix and now they oats I will add. Plus a bit of water.

    Thanks again guys!! Yes they are the carton bough three pack. Have been using them like this for a year or so now. Just figured I should ask before continuing to waste money if they were not that helpful.

  11. #11
    jtuner77 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Universal1 View Post
    100% egg whites all day, cooked or not cooked. If there not cooked i suggest adding them to your protein shake and blend. packs a lot of protein. theres a company in california that sells it in gallons, sold with a pump for easy use and measuring. not gunna post the name but google it (100%liquid egg whites)
    The only problem with this company you speak of is
    1) the shipping is rape
    2) it ends up costing more then what it would cost you locally to buy the same amount of egg whites in 1/2 gallon cartons from like Wal-Mart or something
    3) I bought some and found that their egg whites are higher in sodium then other brands I have found

  12. #12
    Universal1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    good points if you are on a budget. i was sold on the pump, for easy use, but i guess its just as easy to pour into a measuring cup. but im in a rush every morning and dont have time to be measuring. I pump them into my shake and go. as far as sodium, what are the other brands lower in sodium, ill check them out

  13. #13
    kelevra is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    no.. i eat 6 raw eggs every day with my shakes..
    i would just buy the safe liquid egg whites form store.

  14. #14
    kelevra is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuner77 View Post
    The only problem with this company you speak of is
    1) the shipping is rape
    2) it ends up costing more then what it would cost you locally to buy the same amount of egg whites in 1/2 gallon cartons from like Wal-Mart or something
    3) I bought some and found that their egg whites are higher in sodium then other brands I have found
    Agree, had no probs with the company, but local is cheaper and as good.

  15. #15
    scotty51312's Avatar
    scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Middle of the Mojave, CA
    Posts
    2,995
    Egg whites raw can bind to the b vitamin biotin, which after long periods of time can result in a deficiency. The following is an excerpt from an article from Emedicine.com

    Pathophysiology
    History
    Biotin was first recognized as an essential nutrient factor in mammals in 1936. Ten years earlier, the inclusion of large amounts of raw egg whites in experimental diets in rats had produced symptoms of toxicity within a few weeks of the diet being initiated. In 1926, Boas referred to these symptoms of toxicity as egg-white injury syndrome.[2] The major findings included severe dermatitis, loss of hair, and lack of muscular coordination. Boas also noted that yeast, liver, and several other foodstuffs contained a substance that protected rats from egg-white injury syndrome. Later, the protective compound in the foodstuffs was identified as biotin. Biotinidase deficiency was discovered in 1982.

    The biochemical basis for egg-white injury syndrome was quickly elucidated when raw egg whites were found to contain the glycoprotein avidin, which has a remarkable affinity for biotin. Once a biotin-avidin complex forms, the bond is essentially irreversible; the biotin-avidin complex is not broken during passage of the food bolus through the stomach and intestines. As a result, biotin is not liberated from food, and the biotin-avidin complex is lost in the feces. The final step in solving the mystery of egg-white injury syndrome was the demonstration that the syndrome could be prevented by heating the egg whites, a process that denatures avidin and destroys its affinity for biotin.

  16. #16
    Turkish Juicer's Avatar
    Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,984
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    Egg whites raw can bind to the b vitamin biotin, which after long periods of time can result in a deficiency. The following is an excerpt from an article from Emedicine.com

    Pathophysiology
    History
    Biotin was first recognized as an essential nutrient factor in mammals in 1936. Ten years earlier, the inclusion of large amounts of raw egg whites in experimental diets in rats had produced symptoms of toxicity within a few weeks of the diet being initiated. In 1926, Boas referred to these symptoms of toxicity as egg-white injury syndrome.[2] The major findings included severe dermatitis, loss of hair, and lack of muscular coordination. Boas also noted that yeast, liver, and several other foodstuffs contained a substance that protected rats from egg-white injury syndrome. Later, the protective compound in the foodstuffs was identified as biotin. Biotinidase deficiency was discovered in 1982.

    The biochemical basis for egg-white injury syndrome was quickly elucidated when raw egg whites were found to contain the glycoprotein avidin, which has a remarkable affinity for biotin. Once a biotin-avidin complex forms, the bond is essentially irreversible; the biotin-avidin complex is not broken during passage of the food bolus through the stomach and intestines. As a result, biotin is not liberated from food, and the biotin-avidin complex is lost in the feces. The final step in solving the mystery of egg-white injury syndrome was the demonstration that the syndrome could be prevented by heating the egg whites, a process that denatures avidin and destroys its affinity for biotin.
    Irrelevant post since OP is consuming pasteurized egg whites, not raw egg whites.

    Consuming pasteurized egg whites without cooking them is not the same as eating egg whites raw.

  17. #17
    scotty51312's Avatar
    scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Middle of the Mojave, CA
    Posts
    2,995
    ^^ i realize this, others commented on having raw eggs in their diets, i thought it might be relevant to them

  18. #18
    jtuner77 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Irrelevant post since OP is consuming pasteurized egg whites, not raw egg whites.

    Consuming pasteurized egg whites without cooking them is not the same as eating egg whites raw.
    I think Scotty posted this in relevance to the statement that someone made regarding it being ok to eat raw eggs as explaining that pasteurized egg whites is the wiser of the two choices. Not trying to argue just trying to shed light on why he made his post.

  19. #19
    Turkish Juicer's Avatar
    Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,984
    OK, I missed it guys, my bad Scotty.

    ... and yes, pasteurized egg whites is the wiser of the two choices, without a doubt.

  20. #20
    brad1986's Avatar
    brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    killafornia
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by jtuner77 View Post
    My morning shake is pretty much the same.

    2 cups Ice
    8 blueberries
    4 strawberries
    4" of banana
    3/4 cup of oats
    3/4 cup of egg whites
    1 scoop ON Natural Whey
    3/4 scoop ON Natural Casein
    2 tablespoons of ground Flax seed
    2 Metamusil bars(otherwise I dont get much poop out)
    how is the shake with the oats in it? or do you food process the oats first?

  21. #21
    jtuner77 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    777
    This all goes into a blender. Tastes amazing. Doesn't taste even remotely nutritious

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •