stillm4tic is offline New Member

AM Workout meal?

So on my training days I have a pretty shit schedule, I wake up at 6:45am and need to be out the door by no later than 7:10am to make it to the gym and leave myself an hour of actual training, then to make it back to my house with enough time to take a shower and make it to work on time.

Right now I'm making a sandwich 2 big slices of whole grain bread, about a quarter lb of roast beef and an eighth of chicken with a couple slices of swiss cheese. It's quick to make and I know I'm getting at least a decent amount of carbs and protein with this.

I have to ride my bicycle to and from the gym so I can't really eat small, and this plan has been working out alright for the past couple of weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone out there is in a similar situation. If so, what does your meal look like?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    So you get up at 6:45am, make this sandwich and eat it, leave by 7:10am and then train? What time do you actually start training? If you're not leaving your body at least an hour to start digesting, that meal is really not adding any benefit to your workout. I know you don't want to hear this, but get up earlier!!!

I train AT 5:45am. I get up at 4:45am and eat a good preworkout meal - 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup whites, 3 slices lean canadian bacon, a shake (30g protein blend), 1 cup of oats and 1/2 cup blueberries or 1/2 banana. By the time I start training, I've had a full hour to digest.

stillm4tic is offline New Member
    I had a feeling that was coming =/

I eat at 7, leave the house at 7:10 and actually walk through the doors at 7:35 or so (kind of a long ride, but have no choice at the moment)

So that's a half hour...I can probably manage to get up a half hour earlier I but it is gonna cut into some sleep time right now I'm getting exactly 8 hours. Unfortunately that's all my work schedule allows at the moment.

Hypothetically though, If I was waking up earlier and giving myself AT LEAST an hour to begin digesting, is this still a decent meal?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by stillm4tic View Post
    I had a feeling that was coming =/

I eat at 7, leave the house at 7:10 and actually walk through the doors at 7:35 or so (kind of a long ride, but have no choice at the moment)

So that's a half hour...I can probably manage to get up a half hour earlier I but it is gonna cut into some sleep time right now I'm getting exactly 8 hours. Unfortunately that's all my work schedule allows at the moment.

Hypothetically though, If I was waking up earlier and giving myself AT LEAST an hour to begin digesting, is this still a decent meal?
    Sleep is important, no doubt. Do you do cardio PWO? I ask this because your meal might actually be affecting (fueling) cardio which is counter productive, unless you're doing some high intensity stuff. How do you feel on 7 - 7.5 hours of sleep? I doubt a half hour would make all the difference in your sleep pattern, but it'd make a big difference in digestion time. If having a preworkout meal is important to you, i'd suggest giving it a shot.

As for the meal - it's not what i'd want to eat first thing, that's for sure. 1, I just can't imagine wolfing down a roast beef sandwich before 7am, and 2 it sounds like cold cuts (inferior protein source) and bread (inferior carb source, but not as bad as the cold cuts are for protein IMO). I'd try and go with something more similar to my meal if you can. With an extra half hour, it shouldn't be that tough. Eggs take 5 mins to cook, oats take 2 mins, or you can eat them raw right in your protein shake.

Just a suggestion - you can have anything for breakfast that you want so long as it fits your macro goals.

Thread Information