mg_srt is offline New Member

Shake ok to start the Day?

My morning shake consist of (1) 6-7" banana, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 tbsp cinnamon (decrease sugar spike) 30g whey protein, 25g casein protein, 1 1/2 un sweetened almond milk.. My question is, can I start my day with this every day?

Let me know if more information is needed.

RDW
    RDW is offline New Member
    if it helps meet your macros i wouldnt see why it wouldnt be.... shakes for me get old real quick despite being a quick meal

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Only if you are always in a rush and have no time whatsoever to preapare breakfast, then you are better off starting your day with this shake as opposed to not eating anything per se. However, anyone who is informed about nutrition would normally tell you to do your best in terms of getting your daily macros from whole food sources as much as possible.

BTW, I really like your morning shake.

jfalco is offline Member
    Nothing wrong with it, IMO, but I too get sick of shakes fast. I would skip the casein.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Do not skip the Casein.

Casein is exactly what makes your morning shake more like a macro protein meal (since Casein is slow digesting high quality protein) as opposed to only drinking whey with carbs.

Casein + Whey shakes are proven to be much more effective in fighting catabolism then whey only shakes, so you are on the right track.

My final advice would be this: If you have the time, try to motivate yourself for having a macro meal for breakfast. You can boil 10 large eggs for instance, eat 3 whole and 7 whites. Easier and chepaer alternative would be using liquid egg whites, of course. This would make up for your protein needs for the first meal. As for carbs, you can eat your oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk and banana in a bowl, as opposed to drinking it.

jfalco is offline Member
    I've always heard that you need fast digesting proteins like eggs and whey in the morning and slower ones like casein at night. If its morning and he is planning on eating all day, why is he worried about fighting catabolism? I agree that a whey only at night wouldn't be very good, but y not in the morning when he probably has another dose of quality protein coming in 2 hours?

On a personal note, I've found that casein makes me shit powder so I don't thing I absorb much of it. YMMV

mg_srt is offline New Member
    In the monring i am actually making my days worth of food, my next meal which i eat about 2 hours later actually consists of 6egg whites and 4 whole egg s scrambled with a 1/8 cup colby cheese. I just REALLY like those shakes in the morning.. been doing it for about 2months now and still look forward to it in the morning..

Thread Information