thex95 is offline Senior Member

Just figured out TDEE, macros seem out of wack, help please?

Stats:
    age 24
    Height 5'11
    Weight 182
    years training 5

Goals -
    Get down to about 8% body fat while maintaning muscle mass

TDEE - 3474

Macros (40/40/20)
    Protein - 347 g
    Carbs 347g
    Fat 77 g

So what I was thinking was keeping protein at that level, but cutting out 60 grams of carbs and 40 grams of fat a day to cut off some body fat.

My question is, it seems my protein intake is insanely high each day, did i do something wrong to figure this all out? I am pretty sure at 347 g I would be wasting a lot of protein each day. Here is the breakdown of how I intend to get those macros each day, with the deficit in carbs and fat. Even with this I still fall short of my protein goal by 17 g each day.

----------Protein Carbs Fat
    Breakfast 50 60 20
    Lunch 50 60 0
    Snack 40 30 20
    Dinner 50 60 0
    PWO shake 50 45 0
    Night Shake 50 0 0
    Snack 2 40 30 20
    Total 330 285 40
    Goal 347 347 77
    Difference 17 62 37

Also note these meals/snacks are not in the order I take them in each day, just the order I wrote it down.

So what do you guys think, cut down on some protein? Change macros? Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by thex95; 07-11-2012 at 09:54 PM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    thex hows it going man?

1. ur macros are dead on for 40/40/20

2. a better way to design a cut IMO is to come up with a caloric deficit once u figure out ur tdee. once u have ur caloric deficit u can decide on ur macro split.

3. whats ur bf%?

4. at moderately active (most people fall into this category or lower) and 182lbs and 8%bf ur tdee would only be around 3100cals. u have 3474 cals for ur calculated tdee which tells me u either calculated it incorrectly or put urself at a high activity level. with ur weight and height i doubt 3474 is ur actual tdee unless u have the metabolism of a squirrel

5. in my experience with Katch/McArdle (my preferred tdee estimator) a caloric deficit of 800-950cals is a good place to start. (hence what i said previously about moderately active being the norm or lower for activity levels)

6. if u dont know ur bf % i suggest getting it chekd.

7. if u used Harris/Benedict and applied the highest activity multiplier i suggest u recalculate it using the 1.55multiplier and post those results which will do until u know ur bf%.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    thex hows it going man?

1. ur macros are dead on for 40/40/20

2. a better way to design a cut IMO is to come up with a caloric deficit once u figure out ur tdee. once u have ur caloric deficit u can decide on ur macro split.

3. whats ur bf%?

4. at moderately active (most people fall into this category or lower) and 182lbs and 8%bf ur tdee would only be around 3100cals. u have 3474 cals for ur calculated tdee which tells me u either calculated it incorrectly or put urself at a high activity level. with ur weight and height i doubt 3474 is ur actual tdee unless u have the metabolism of a squirrel

5. in my experience with Katch/McArdle (my preferred tdee estimator) a caloric deficit of 800-950cals is a good place to start. (hence what i said previously about moderately active being the norm or lower for activity levels)

6. if u dont know ur bf % i suggest getting it chekd.

7. if u used Harris/Benedict and applied the highest activity multiplier i suggest u recalculate it using the 1.55multiplier and post those results which will do until u know ur bf%.
    doing dam good man! how about you?

Responses

1) good stuff

2) right on, I will alter my calorie deficit accordingly

3) I believe its at 12% right now. If you take a look on this thread;
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...hetic-training

I have a recent pic posted that you could take a look at and probably guess more accurately than I can.

4) Ya I used the high activity multiplier. I just went off of the explanation saying----> "hard exercise or sports six to seven times per week". Current workout plan is 3 x 40 min cardio a week, and 4 x weightlifting a week so I figured it would be hard exercise 7 times a week. I think your right though and I should use the moderate multiplier as I do sit a lot of the day for my job. (also maybe the training I do doesn't count as "hard exercise" lol)

5) Awesome I'm going to look into that.

6) Ya I got to get on that for sure. All I have access to is those cheap electronic measuring devices so not too sure how accurate they are.

7) I am definitely going to follow this advice and re-adjust the daily calories accordingly.

Thanks for the in-depth reply man!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    at 182 12%bf (no higher than that IMO) ur tdee is around 3000cals

by ur pic ur a perfect candidate for a carb cycle diet. with 3000tdee id run ur moderate day at 2200cals which is great cuz i have a thread i posted addressing carb cycling and 2200cals moderate day is the exact figure i used in the thread. its called "hey 405 what is carb cycling?" ill bump it for u.. chek it out!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    at 182 12%bf (no higher than that IMO) ur tdee is around 3000cals

by ur pic ur a perfect candidate for a carb cycle diet. with 3000tdee id run ur moderate day at 2200cals which is great cuz i have a thread i posted addressing carb cycling and 2200cals moderate day is the exact figure i used in the thread. its called "hey 405 what is carb cycling?" ill bump it for u.. chek it out!
    Thanks 405!

Thread Information