Thread: Macros

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"

Macros

I would like to say that the exact macro split doesn't play a big role when you are bulking. You wanna make sure that fats are healthy and relatively low (sub 20%), and protein should be moderate to high, and carbs high. Obviously this is all subject to personal changes.

I see a lot of focus on 40/40/20 etc. But when your calories are high really you don't need to keep the same proportions of macros. I am relatively small at 170lbs. If I am eating 4,000 cals per day I do not need to have 400g of protein per day, and I certainly don't need to have fats at almost 90g per day. So really the only thing that needs to be increased is carbs.

Even on cycle I see no need to go over 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. I also see no reason for fats to make up more than 25% of your diet.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I agree with this for the most part. I keep my protein at a constant (I go with 1.5g/lb of LBM) and adjust the other macros as needed. Even then, I try and keep fat in the 15-20% range and basically only manipulate carbs.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I think you really need to pick you macro that will be your main tool, such as carbs for weight gain or weight loss, then keep the rest the same. This is especially true for bulking.

I'm curious what people think about this.

I was writing a gainer diet for someone and realized that with a 40/40/20 split fats and protein would be super high and that just wasn't necessary. This enhance my view of a split like 25/55/20 when bulking (depending on calories obviously).

Thread Information