bjo2925 is offline Associate Member

Should I eat If I´m not hungry

Very simple questions:

If I eat without being hungry will I gain fat??

In that case if i want to gain lean mass should I eat the number of calories i´m "supposed" to eat or just eat if I´m hungry, to prevent fat?

Thank you

barakelium is offline New Member
    eat eat eat... just make sure you are eating a balanced diet like 40/40/20% or 30/50/20% protein/carbs/fat

my primary staples are chicken eggs fish banannas oatmeal and sweet potatoes

Thank you, bara!!

But won´t I gain fat if I just start eating, even if I´m not hungry???

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Don't focus on whether or not you are hungry. Eat what you are SUPPOSED to eat. In order to do that, you need to figure out your TDEE (how many calories it takes to maintain your current body composition). A good rule of thumb is lbm x 15, but this is just a general guideline. Start there, and adjust to see how many cals/day you need to be eating. Then, since your goals are to clean bulk, you will need to eat a bit over this number in order to gain muscle. I would start with about 500 cals over TDEE and adjust if need be.

But again, don't just rely on when you're hungry to justify eating. On some days, if I only ate when I was hungry, I would be in a calorie deficit, which isn't my aim right now since I'm bulking; this would be detrimental to my goals at the present moment.

Ok!! So I´ll eat if I have to eat and not eat if I want to eat!!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    ^^^ bingo!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

pretty much... most of the time i am not hungry, and im merely eating because the alarm in my phone is going off telling me its meal 4 or protein shake or whatever time lol.

a lot of people find multiplying lbm (lean body mass) and all that other bs together to get suggested caloric intake a hassle... however i can tell you that if you were to eat clean healthy foods at a 40/40/20 protein carbs essential fatty acids ratio you would be eating right at the correct amount. your body will signal you when you need to eat larger meals, and likewise if you arent finishing your plates you will know it is too much.

for example my day goes like this:

3 am i wake up and either drink a lean protein shake or drink 6 egg whites.
    go back to sleep wake at 7 and eat meal 1 some oatmeal and either drink more eggs or cook them with a goal of 1g of protein for every carb.
    at 9 for a creatine/ beta alanine/ bcaa drink. depending on what im doing ill have one of those 3
    12 noon is meal 2
    1:30 is creatine/ beta alanine/ bcaa drink (one of these)
    3 is meal 3
    5:30 is meal 4
    6:45 is creatine/beta aline/ bcaa drink (one of these)
    8 is meal 5
    10 is protein shake/ egg whites
    bed is around 12

basically i gauge it to where i have no more than 3 hours between eating/drinking somthing. if i want to lose weight or cut i drink a bottle of water 20 mins before each meal. if im trying to gain i dont drink the water and eat till im full... its kind of an internal gauge, but the key is to make sure you are taking in calories throughout the day.

bulking you can eat 50% carbs and 30% proteins 20% essential fatty acids, however i prefer clean bulking so that if i choose to do a competition i can be lean in 2 weeks if i need to be. keep single digit bodyfat % and make slower gains. you will feel better, look better, and in my opinion be more impressed by the results. sure if i were to put on 20 lbs of fat i would be stronger and fill out clothes better, however when i take my shirt off i want a 6 pack off season and an 8 pack on. i have been clean bulking since 2007 and am currently fluctuating between 196-204 based on water retention, creatine intake etc, and when i started trying to gain weight i was literally 155 lbs. thats over a lb a month which is not too shabby.

good luck. any other questions pm me if i dont answer

Bara, thank you very much!

Good advices for sure. It's going to be helpfull, believe me.

I'm not English native, sorry for my mistakes

Bara, thank you very much!

Good advices for sure. It's going to be helpfull, believe me.

I'm not English native, sorry for my mistakes

Usually when you are hungry it means you should have eaten before the stomach telling you it needs food. That's why you should have regular meals at the same hours every day is possible. You'll forme a routine, your body will adapt to it.
    You cant wait to get hungry because is like this:
    hungry--------ok------------full

So you'r actually on the negative when feeling hungry. That is.. if you are interested in adding or keeping muscle.

You're welcome. Any questions feel free to ask

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Lack of hunger is not an indication of overeating. There are some people who have to force down 1000 calories a day, and that's not enough food for any guy, let alone an active guy who trains with weights. Some people simply have a very light appetite, you may be one of them.

Provided you are eating around your maintenance level (even a bit above) along with a clean sensible diet, fat gain should not become an issue. You need to monitor yourself closely and make adjustments if/when needed, such as adding more cardio if fat gain becomes apparent. It takes some time, but you'll eventually be dialed in.

gb, very simple yet very insightful and important info.. thanks!

The Rock! is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySidewalk View Post
    Usually when you are hungry it means you should have eaten before the stomach telling you it needs food. That's why you should have regular meals at the same hours every day is possible. You'll forme a routine, your body will adapt to it.
    You cant wait to get hungry because is like this:
    hungry--------ok------------full

So you'r actually on the negative when feeling hungry. That is.. if you are interested in adding or keeping muscle.
    This.

If you're hungry then its already too late. You're body believes that its starving and goes into fat storing mode for survival which in turns drops your metabolism. High metabolism helps burn fat. Low metabolism stores it.

Eat at your scheduled times.

With that said, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry. I just do what I gotta do.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rock! View Post
    This.

If you're hungry then its already too late. You're body believes that its starving and goes into fat storing mode for survival which in turns drops your metabolism. High metabolism helps burn fat. Low metabolism stores it.

Eat at your scheduled times.

With that said, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry. I just do what I gotta do.
    wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Lack of hunger is not an indication of overeating. There are some people who have to force down 1000 calories a day, and that's not enough food for any guy, let alone an active guy who trains with weights. Some people simply have a very light appetite, you may be one of them.

Provided you are eating around your maintenance level (even a bit above) along with a clean sensible diet, fat gain should not become an issue. You need to monitor yourself closely and make adjustments if/when needed, such as adding more cardio if fat gain becomes apparent. It takes some time, but you'll eventually be dialed in.
    Right

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^ ^ lol @ Twist, it doesn't get much more simple than that!

@ The Rock! - I can assure you that nobody is going into starvation mode from missing a meal... or two... or a full day of eating for that matter. I'm currently running an intermittent fasting diet (16 hour fasts, 8 hour feeding periods) and I barely get hungry - and I have a HUGE appetite. When I was eating a more standard BBer diet (higher frequency feedings, every 3 hours) I was STARVING and couldn't wait for my next meal. Why is this? It doesn't seem to make sense...

When you're body is used to being fed every 3 hours (or so), you become conditioned to anticipate that meal. The 'hunger' you feel (and that I felt between meals) is not really true hunger; it's your sympathetic nervous system telling you "hey, it's time to eat!" Ever notice how when you're 'starving' but don't get to eat, that feeling goes away after a short time? That wouldn't happen with real hunger.

Much more likely to cause metabolism to slow and/or 'starvation mode' to be triggered is a very large caloric deficit for an extended period of time. Missing a meal won't do you any harm at all - and if you have an average bodyfat % (15%-ish), it might actually do you good from time to time.

YoungGunsNY is offline Associate Member
    if you're full, there's no harm in waiting an another hour to eat than when you're supposed to..

if you just started a diet with increased calories, then yeah those first days are hell of feeling sloggish..

however, if you're pretty much eating the same calorie content per meal and this problem persists - lower the calorie intake, or spread out the meal timing

you're brain is telling you not to eat when you're full, and it's telling you to eat when you're hungry - why do the opposite...

i used to have this problem - i bumped up my breakfast meal (it never fills me up) and lowered my next 2 meals calorie intake... after a week - i went back to the original diet plan and was fine - so i stuck with it..

i had problems with a cutting diet with only eating 5oz chicken & 5oz sweet potato - bumped them up to 7... and felt much better and still got ripped as hell..

i guess my message is - listen to your body ... so much is going on in there, so whenever you can understand it (full = don't eat), do your best to follow through! lol

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    Just eat every meal and don't miss meal. Make sure you hit your nutritional macros.

Thread Information