zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation

Tilapia... High in fat?

huh?

i was reading the following from wikepedia and was both surprised and skeptical..

"Tilapia is a low saturated fat, low calorie, low carbohydrate and low sodium protein source. It is a source of phosphorus, niacin, selenium, vitamin B12 and potassium.

However, farm raised tilapia (the least expensive and most popular) has a high fat content (though low in saturated fats). According to research published in July 2008, farm raised tilapia may be worse for the heart than eating bacon or a hamburger. The research suggests the nutritional value of farm raised tilapia may be compromised by the amount of corn included in the feed. The corn contains short chain omega-6s that contribute to the buildup of these materials in the fish."

re: widepedia

I was wondering if that said research was just from a competitive fish market or does anyone confirm/agree with tilapia (farm raised) being HIGH in fat.

oscarjones is offline Banned
    This may hold some truth, because after all, you are what you eat. Why would that be different for fish?

It's sad, and the nutritional levels of our food supply are slowly dwindling into oblivion. Nutricide is going to be the real Apocalypse.

Inasmuch, try to find wild Tilapia if you want to consume the "aquatic chicken", and supplement with the purest form of fish oil possible for those healthy Omega-3s.

However, I still want to read the study you mentioned.

The problem is, most wild fish or free range chicken for example is so ****ing expensive, it's not realistic to buy. Hell, I feel pangs when dishing out money for free range organic eggs and egg whites!

This is a pretty neat website I stumbled across.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarjones View Post
    This may hold some truth, because after all, you are what you eat. Why would that be different for fish?

It's sad, and the nutritional levels of our food supply are slowly dwindling into oblivion. Nutricide is going to be the real Apocalypse.

Inasmuch, try to find wild Tilapia if you want to consume the "aquatic chicken", and supplement with the purest form of fish oil possible for those healthy Omega-3s.

However, I still want to read the study you mentioned.

The problem is, most wild fish or free range chicken for example is so ****ing expensive, it's not realistic to buy. Hell, I feel pangs when dishing out money for free range organic eggs and egg whites!
    exactly ....theres no way i could afford to eat wild salmon, etc.

about "you are what you eat" doesnt genetics play more of a part in the proportion of lean and fat on an animal?

idk

i dont remember reading the nutrition label on cheap tilapia and seeing fat...maybe they could be lying? lol

who knows

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    exactly ....theres no way i could afford to eat wild salmon, etc.

about "you are what you eat" doesnt genetics play more of a part in the proportion of lean and fat on an animal?

idk

i dont remember reading the nutrition label on cheap tilapia and seeing fat...maybe they could be lying? lol

who knows
    You are what you eat meaning, if the fish eat food that lacks in nutrients, they will grow up and be lacking nutrients themselves.

That's why they pump cows and chickens full of hormones, because the cow's and chicken's food supply is so poor, due to the soil on our planet being depleted, and therefore they need the extra chemicals to make up for it.

Corn obviously isn't in a wild Tilapia's diet, they eat a specific algae that grows in the warm water lakes, and so since they are being supplemented with a virtually non-nutritious food for their made intake, they are probably lacking proper ratios of Omega-3s, versus Omega-6s.

The healthy ratio for human consumption of Omega-3 to Omega-6 is 5:1 to 10:1. Most people consume 15:1 to 20:1.

Such a high ratio has multiple hazardous health concerns.

Thread Information