Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"

*Can anyone think of a vegetable*

Can anyone think of a vegetable that would be good blended in a smoothie that adds value but doesn't taste like garbage?

First6 is offline Member
    yuck
    nuf said LOL

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I like carrots

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i agree with terraj, carrots. i have also done celery, eggplant, and sweet pot (raw state).

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    lentils, but i add them to almost every meal now instead of a starch.. works great, i have not put them in a shake though.. it's more of a starch replacement.. but is low glycemic and high fiber..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Might sound weird - but roasted brussell sprouts could work. When cooked properly, they are sweet as hell and have a great flavor, not bitter at all.

What kind of shake are we talking here? i.e. what would be the 'dominant' flavor? Obviously not the veggie of choice...

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    2 for sweet tater

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    My wife started making me avocado smoothies, which taste great mixed with a little pure honey

Forgot to tell you guys the smoothie:
    1 or 2 bananas
    peaches
    strawberries
    100% apple or 100% pear juice as the liquid
    sometimes blueberries (depends on if I can brush my teeth after)
    1 smoothie is the exact volume as a water bottle; made in the "Magic Bullet" blender.
    Sometimes I have two at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    I like carrots
    I like lamp. Jk lol. Carrots could be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    lentils, but i add them to almost every meal now instead of a starch.. works great, i have not put them in a shake though.. it's more of a starch replacement.. but is low glycemic and high fiber..
    Elaborate on which ones you think would be best? How can I make them taste sweeter though?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Might sound weird - but roasted brussell sprouts could work. When cooked properly, they are sweet as hell and have a great flavor, not bitter at all.

What kind of shake are we talking here? i.e. what would be the 'dominant' flavor? Obviously not the veggie of choice...
    I like this idea. didn't know sprouts could be sweet. Elaborate on this cooking method please

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    2 for sweet tater
    Don't you think that would dominate the smoothie? I think I'll pass on the sweet potato unless there is something I don't know. I used to make shakes with them but they were always overpowering (chicken, sweet potato, peas)

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    My wife started making me avocado smoothies, which taste great mixed with a little pure honey
    Ooh, tell me more.

Good stuff here guys. Thanks

oh, and cucumbers are great in there also

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I'll second carrots. Great choice for several reasons - only one of which is you will be amazed how good it will taste.

Not sure twist but out of all the veggies it sounded the best...lol....i tried pumpkin in my oatmeal once and it did what your saying the sweet potato would do...avacado came to my mind but i thought for sure someone would have said..

ITS NOT A VEGGIE!!!!!!! LOL

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Beets.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Brussell Sprouts - ok, keep in mind when I cook them this way, it's to eat them straight. While you can still try this cooking method, I can't promise results will be the same as I assume you'll want to omit certain ingredients - i.e. salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take fresh sprouts, trim and clean them - toss in a large bowl with EVOO, salt and pepper. Obviously the salt and pepper is going to taste like shit in your shake, so leave this out. As for the EVOO, idk how you feel about leaving it in - it will affect the taste and obviously the fat content - BUT it will make all the difference in cooking.

Lay them out on a preheated baking sheet in a single layer. Pop them in the oven and monitor closely - check em' after 30 mins. You actually want them to start getting somewhat burnt and crispy - that's where the sweetness comes in. Not black burnt, but starting to get dark around the edges. If you open the oven, you should hear them crackin and poppin. Again, the EVOO helps with this, but i'd be interested to see how they turn out without it if you try.

Lemme know, hope it's not a disaster lol!

Carrots, cucumbers and brussel sprouts are now added to my grocery list. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Never been a fan of beets but I will try it if these don't work out.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Twist if this works I would love to see the recipe for it. I have been trying to find ways to work spinach into one. If you wanna try the sweet pot ( first I wouldn't do two of them of course) but try it with a white sweet pot. Flavor profile is a lot different and could change it up for you. I actually think it would work well with the carrots and brussles.

so you want sweet?? so i assume it's a post workout drink and thus you are attempting to cause a insulin spike?? cucumber, is another

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

If you really want to change the way foods taste and develope your palate then cut out all dairy... i'm on the end of month 2 with no dairy and now i can't eat it at all..

Rules

Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post
    Twist if this works I would love to see the recipe for it. I have been trying to find ways to work spinach into one. If you wanna try the sweet pot ( first I wouldn't do two of them of course) but try it with a white sweet pot. Flavor profile is a lot different and could change it up for you. I actually think it would work well with the carrots and brussles.
    I think spinach would work if you ground it up real fine first then put it in. I eat a decent amount of sweet potato now so I'm not gonna add it to my shake also.

so you want sweet?? so i assume it's a post workout drink and thus you are attempting to cause a insulin spike?? cucumber, is another
    It's not necessarily a pwo shake, I drink them about 3-5 times per day. It doesn't have to be sweet, but it has to go with the flavor of the smoothie. I could grind broccoli up in there but that wouldn't go with the smoothie. I enjoy these smoothies so much so I don't want to take that away.

If you really want to change the way foods taste and develope your palate then cut out all dairy... i'm on the end of month 2 with no dairy and now i can't eat it at all..
    I have not had any dairy for quite some time bro. I don't even do whey; I only do egg protein powder

I just bought all of the things I needed. But I bought brussel and alfalfa sprouts; GB did you mean I should buy bean sprouts?

I'll try carrots today and cucumber tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.
    Last edited by Twist; 07-14-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Carrots work well. They dilute the flavor down almost as if it cancels out the fruity flavor. It doesn't add anything negative at all, it just waters it down a little. Cucumbers and sprouts next.

twist sorry if i missed the post but what else/all are u putting in these shakes

1 or 2 bananas
    peaches
    strawberries
    grapes
    100% apple or 100% pear juice as the liquid
    sometimes blueberries (depends on if I can brush my teeth after)
    1 smoothie is the exact volume as a water bottle; made in the "Magic Bullet" blender.
    Sometimes I have two at a time.

Failure is offline Associate Member
    I don't think cucumbers are as nutritious as other vegetables that you could substitute in lesser quantities.

I was in Jamba Juice a few weeks ago and saw that they have vegetable smoothies as well. You could follow along the same lines.
    http://www.jambajuice.com/products/fruitveggie

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarjones View Post
    Beets.
    This is actually a great suggestion oscar...beets have some great nutritional properties. The more vibrant the color of veggie or fruit; the more antioxidants for cell repair....reversing damage...blah blah blah.

Cucumbers...mainly just water......

Carrots seem to be a choice for many

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    This is actually a great suggestion oscar...beets have some great nutritional properties. The more vibrant the color of veggie or fruit; the more antioxidants for cell repair....reversing damage...blah blah blah.

Cucumbers...mainly just water......

Carrots seem to be a choice for many
    I always thought beets were really high in sugar content. So much so that here in the US unless the sugar you buy states pure cane sugar it probably came from beets.
    Well anyway judging from the shake contents and Twists metabolism (which i hate him for btw) the sugar content isnt a concern here.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    I think there's like 7 g of sugar in a 3.5 oz serving and could depend on the variety of beet. I was thinking more of other beneficial properties than just sugar .....

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    Spinach works pretty well in my experience.

I might try using kale, but you might have to blanch it first.

Cucumbers and carrots work well so far.

Next on the list is avocado and then beets.
    I have sprouts but idk if I got the right ones. I am still figuring out cooking those, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I might just toss them in.

Avocado and sprouts are both very good. Sprouts while cooked and singed a little adds a smokey flavor to the smoothie which is great. Thanks for all the suggestions guys

I bought some beets I just gotta figure out what to do with them now. They don't look like they usually do, I think there's a shell or something on them lol

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Avocado and sprouts are both very good. Sprouts while cooked and singed a little adds a smokey flavor to the smoothie which is great. Thanks for all the suggestions guys

I bought some beets I just gotta figure out what to do with them now. They don't look like they usually do, I think there's a shell or something on them lol
    haha! you have to peel them like a potato

HectorValentino is offline New Member
    i make broccoli shakes . magic bullet cup full broccoli 1/4 cup apple juice and fill up with water and takes 30sec to drink

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    haha! you have to peel them like a potato
    Ok now I know lol

Quote Originally Posted by HectorValentino View Post
    i make broccoli shakes . magic bullet cup full broccoli 1/4 cup apple juice and fill up with water and takes 30sec to drink
    I can't do broccoli anymore. Otherwise I would just eat it cuz I love the stuff.

NoCompromise is offline Junior Member
    How about tomato's. I have never tried it but it works for v8.

Thread Information