Thread: Bcaa

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~

Bcaa

Please explain exactly what BCAA is and why we should take it.

In addition: should we ALL be taking BCAA? male and female? and in what form does it come in? And is it already included in the Protein powder as well?

THANKS~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    BCAA = Branch Chain Amino Acids. They are some of the essential amino acids - essential meaning 2 things:

> we need them to function
    > our bodies cannot make them (just like EFA's), so we must get them from our diet

So yes, absolutely for male and female. If you are eating complete protein sources, you are getting these already. In fact, the 9 essential amino acids are what dictates a protein source being considered complete vs. incomplete. There are many many amino acids, but only 9 essential (fitting the 2 requirements listed above).

Widely available in supplement form. Most people use them intra workout - i.e. powder form mixed in water or a sports drink. I (and many others) use them before fasted cardio to blunt muscle loss. Leucine in particular (I believe that's the one!) is mainly responsible for kick starting protein synthesis. I relied heavily on BCAA's/EAA's when I was running my intermittent fasting diet, since I was training heavily in a fasted state. In a way, you can look at it like getting your protein without consuming calories (there are actually a few calories since they ARE protein essentially; but they are minimal, i.e. nothing compared to a full protein shake).

If you want to read more, below is taken straight from Wiki:

A branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) is an amino acid having aliphatic side-chains with a branch (a carbon atom bound to more than two other carbon atoms). Among the proteinogenic amino acids, there are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine.[1]

The BCAAs are among the nine essential amino acids for humans, accounting for 35% of the essential amino acids in muscle proteins and 40% of the preformed amino acids required by mammals[2] . BCAA’s have been used clinically to aid in the recovery of burn victims[3] . They are also used in the treatment in some cases of hepatic encephalopathy[4] . Some weightlifters such as Johnnie Jackson and Jay Cutler believe that consuming a higher percentage of BCAAs is better for increasing lean muscle mass than consuming proteins containing relatively fewer BCAAs.
    As many as 80% of patients with type 2 diabetes see a marked improvement after gastric bypass surgery. A recent study suggested that the reduction in blood BCAAs may be associated with the improvement in blood sugar regulation. The mechanism remains unknown.

Buddhabody is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Always appreciate your contributions on the board gBrice.

Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by buddhabody View Post
    always appreciate your contributions on the board gbrice.
    me too buddha!!!

thanks gbrice
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Any particular amount? so when I go to the store I know how much to get? or are they all pretty much the same? i like the idea of taking BCAA while working out since I always have my bottle of water with me. Plus for pre- fasted cardio too.

THANKS GBrice.....
    Author Unknown

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    There's a formula to figure out how many BCAA's you should be taking in each day, but really you are getting enough through your (what I assume is a) high protein diet. For your workout you should be set with no more than 20g. You can divvy it up pre/intra-workout as you like, but post isn't necessary assuming your drinking a shake afterwards.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    On second thought that 20g might even not be necessary considering your a female. There's plenty of BCAA threads though, I'd suggest rummaging through some of them.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Slimmer - a suggestion. Since you plan on drinking this intra mixed with h2o maybe you should consider a pre mixed flavored bcaa supp.Discountsupplements has scivation xtend for some ridiculous price like $14 or $15 - and thats without a member discount. I think they have rasberry and watermelon flavors. Good simple way to start off trying bcaa supp to see how you like it . Anyway just a thought - oh and i would dose at about 3/4 of recommended (JMO)

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    On second thought that 20g might even not be necessary considering your a female. There's plenty of BCAA threads though, I'd suggest rummaging through some of them.
    Agreed. At 195lbs I was dosing 10g pre-fasted cardio.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Any reason why BCAA aren't a better alternative to protein shakes? I have thought for a long time that bcaa are the way to go but protein shakes taste better and are much more filling. BCAA shakes wouldn't do it for me at the times when I drink protein shakes to curve stomach pains.

I think you nailed it above - shakes can be somewhat considered a meal (albeit a crappy liquid one), but some water with a bit of flavor in it cannot.

Plus, shakes contain a much wider variety of amino acids vs. the BCAA's which usually are just ... the BCAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Thanks Lattiss~

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Slimmer - a suggestion. Since you plan on drinking this intra mixed with h2o maybe you should consider a pre mixed flavored bcaa supp.Discountsupplements has scivation xtend for some ridiculous price like $14 or $15 - and thats without a member discount. I think they have rasberry and watermelon flavors. Good simple way to start off trying bcaa supp to see how you like it . Anyway just a thought - oh and i would dose at about 3/4 of recommended (JMO)
    Thanks Jimmy....looked into this last night into the wee hours of the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Agreed. At 195lbs I was dosing 10g pre-fasted cardio.
    Thanks Gbrice...

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Any reason why BCAA aren't a better alternative to protein shakes? I have thought for a long time that bcaa are the way to go but protein shakes taste better and are much more filling. BCAA shakes wouldn't do it for me at the times when I drink protein shakes to curve stomach pains.
    Interesting Twist~ one over the other....

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I think you nailed it above - shakes can be somewhat considered a meal (albeit a crappy liquid one), but some water with a bit of flavor in it cannot.

Plus, shakes contain a much wider variety of amino acids vs. the BCAA's which usually are just ... the BCAA's.
    Again, thanks Gbrice
    Author Unknown

Is Purple Wraath considered to be BCAA?
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Is Purple Wraath considered to be BCAA?
    Purple Wraath is one of the best i've seen. It contains BCAA's as well as other EAA's. Alot of BCAA supplements contain only the BCAA's. It's a bit pricey, but you can't go wrong with Purple Wraath. Netrition!

Thread Information