Swelbow is offline Junior Member

New guy here. Hows my plan look?

So this is my second first post lol. I am new here and wanted to see what you all thought of my plan. I'll try and be as specific as possible.

I have been lifting off and on since i was 16years old. More off than on in the last 7 years since i got married . I'm 32 now and have decided to take it seriously again.

Well, I truthfully decided to take it seriously about a year and a half ago and actually hired an online personal trainer for myself and my wife. We did well and were very strict about everything. Unfortunately i think the diet and exercise regimen we were given worked better for my wife than it did for me. My body just didnt ... feel right, with what i was doing. There was probably nothing wrong with the plan i was given. I just didnt feel that it suited me.

I was eating aprox 1600 to 1800 cal per day. 150 to 200 protein. I was also, lifting (high reps/high sets) 3 days per week and cardio right after lifting and on all off days. i lost a lot of weight (32 lbs) in just 5 months. I started off at 250lbs 5'11, and ended at 218lbs.

Sounds good right, BUT, i didn't look much different than when i started, just smaller. And my lifts didnt really go up much at all over the 5 months. Still had plenty of flab and i definitely lost alot of muscle and not as much fat as id like.

I asked the trainer if we could adjust some things to make it better for me. He added more sets / reps / and cardio, and told me to add 2 egg whites to breakfast. i got discouraged and called it quits with the trainer (prob the wrong idea, i know). By then it was close to christmas and my wife got pregnant again. Everything with diet got put on the back burner and i gained back a bunch of weight... bad weight.

on June 28th i decided to make a change on my own. And this way i can adjust things as i feel i need to. On June 28th i weighed 236lbs.

Week 1: I figured out my diet plan, and read a bunch on this forum and others to get ideas of what needs to be done.

Week 2 and 3: started diet and added 3 days per week (any day i could get it in) of AM fasted 20min cardio. No weights yet. Getting my home gym figured out and put together.

Week 4: Adjusted diet. Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, AM fasted cardio. Weights Tues and Thurs.

Started ECA stack. Have used this stack in my early 20's with good results. Started slow (8mg E, 100mg C, 85mg A) x2 per day. Taking Sundays off. Am currently on (24mg E, 200mg C, 85mg A) x3 Mon to Fri. Sat and Sun. only once per day in morning.

Week 5 to Today: Diet is basically same. Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri AM fasted cardio. Weights Mon, Wed, Fri. Sat or Sun outdoor activities (swimming, running, yard work...etc) or just do some Eliptical if bad weather.

Weight on July 28, 226lbs. So just the initial starting weight comes off and now the real meat of the dieting is starting

Current workout Routine:

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri (Fasted morning cardio 25 or 30 min) Usually higher intensity, but some days (Thurs after leg day usually) moderate intensity.

2 warmup sets before all working sets
    All working sets are to failure

Monday (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    - Military Press - 2 sets (6 to 12 reps)
    - Incline Bench Press - 2 sets (6 to 12 reps)
    - Dips - 2 sets to failure
    - Abs - Crunches - 2 sets to failure
    - Abs - Leg Lifts - 2 sets to failure

Wednesday (Legs)
    - Squats - 2 sets (10 to 20 reps)
    - Glute Ham raises - 2 sets (10 to 20 reps)
    - Calf Raises - 2 sets to failure

Friday (Back and Biceps)
    - Chinups - 2 sets to failure
    - Bent BB rows - 2 sets (6 to 12 reps)
    - Easy curl bar curls - 2 sets (8 to 20)

Diet: Basically the same each day, with some variation in food. For example some days when i'm in a rush, I will down a protein shake with ground up oats in it and eat a banana. Instead of the usual 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, Two pieces of Ancient grain bread.

Meal 1: (8:00AM)
    -4 egg whites
    -1 whole egg
    -diced onion
    -2 slices Lilydale turkey bacon (50 cal / 2 fat / 0 carb / 10 prot)
    Totals (425 Cal / 12 F / 41 C / 41 P)

Meal 2: (10:30 AM)
    - 2 scoops Isoflex Isolate
    Totals (222 Cal / 0 F / 1 C / 54 P)

Meal 3: (12:30 Lunch)
    - Homemade Chili (if not this then Tuna sandwich usually)
    Totals (550 Cal / 22 F / 38 C / 55 P)

Meal 4: (3:30 PM)
    - 2 scoops Isoflex Isolate (sometimes I'll also grab a half handfull of mixed nuts, but not usually)

Meal 5: (5:45 PM) Post WO
    - 2 scoops ground oats
    Totals (372 Cal / 3 F / 28 C / 59 P)

Meal 6: (7:30 PM) (6:30 PM on non workout days)
    - 6 ounces Grilled Steak (lean cut always) Or 2 chicken breasts
    - Big bowl of mixed veggies (stir fried or just a little molly mcbutter)
    Totals (300 Cal / 10 F / 0 C / 50 P)

Meal 7: (10:00 PM)
    - 1 Large piece of homemade lean beef jerky (150 Cal / 4 F / 8 C / 22 P)? (I'm guessing on the numbers for this)
    - 1/4 cup (1/2 cup when i'm really hungry) 1% Cottage Cheese
    - 3 Vlasik Pickles (Mmmm... crunchy salty goodness)
    Totals (200 Cal / 3 F / 10 C / 30 P)

Grand Total WO day (2291 Cal / 50 F / 119 C / 343 P)
    Grand Total Non WO day (1919 Cal / 47 F / 91 C / 284 P)

Then to bed around Midnight.

Fridays i have a cheat evening, where i eat whatever i want from 7:00PM till bed time. Usually an awesome supper (pizza, hamburgers..etc.) and some snacks while wife and i watch a movie.

I started taking Creating Monohydrate on Aug 9. Twice a day at 5g.

On Aug. 12th I was 224.4lbs. So I'm making progress. And i can see the differences in the mirror. Folds and flaps (lol) have been disappearing. I did all my measurements on June 28th and again on July 28th (biceps, thighs, neck...etc) I have gained size on my thighs and arms. Lost some on my chest, neck and a teeny bit on my waist. I'll do them again on Aug 28th and report my progress. I hate that my waist is the last to lose the fat lol. But thats life.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can offer and sorry for the long post. I've just read too many times "give more details", so i gave as much as i could think of.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Thanks for the detail, and welcome to the board!

I will try and work on this one later, so keeping it bumped. Gotta go put the little guy's crib together now.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Swelbow View Post
    So this is my second first post lol. I am new here and wanted to see what you all thought of my plan. I'll try and be as specific as possible.

I have been lifting off and on since i was 16years old. More off than on in the last 7 years since i got married . I'm 32 now and have decided to take it seriously again.
    Congrats!

Well, I truthfully decided to take it seriously about a year and a half ago and actually hired an online personal trainer for myself and my wife. We did well and were very strict about everything. Unfortunately i think the diet and exercise regimen we were given worked better for my wife than it did for me. My body just didnt ... feel right, with what i was doing. There was probably nothing wrong with the plan i was given. I just didnt feel that it suited me.
    Understandable. Did it seem like a cookie cutter program, or was it specifically designed around you, your stats, lifestyle, access to equipment, etc?

I was eating aprox 1600 to 1800 cal per day. 150 to 200 protein. I was also, lifting (high reps/high sets) 3 days per week and cardio right after lifting and on all off days. i lost a lot of weight (32 lbs) in just 5 months. I started off at 250lbs 5'11, and ended at 218lbs.

Sounds good right
    Yes!

BUT, i didn't look much different than when i started, just smaller. And my lifts didnt really go up much at all over the 5 months. Still had plenty of flab and i definitely lost alot of muscle and not as much fat as id like.
    Yep... a sure sign you lost mostly muscle and very little fat. Interesting, because the plan as you laid it out (at a glance) doesn't sound so far off.

I asked the trainer if we could adjust some things to make it better for me. He added more sets / reps / and cardio, and told me to add 2 egg whites to breakfast.
    And he was aware that you looked practically the same? Were you routinely sending him progress pics?

i got discouraged and called it quits with the trainer (prob the wrong idea, i know).
    Nah, probably a good idea. Clearly something wasn't right.

By then it was close to christmas and my wife got pregnant again. Everything with diet got put on the back burner and i gained back a bunch of weight... bad weight.
    Understandable. My wife is 6 weeks away and i'm in the middle of a hardcore cut, lol!

on June 28th i decided to make a change on my own. And this way i can adjust things as i feel i need to. On June 28th i weighed 236lbs.

Week 1: I figured out my diet plan, and read a bunch on this forum and others to get ideas of what needs to be done.

Week 2 and 3: started diet and added 3 days per week (any day i could get it in) of AM fasted 20min cardio. No weights yet. Getting my home gym figured out and put together.

Week 4: Adjusted diet. Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, AM fasted cardio. Weights Tues and Thurs.
    I like how you're taking it slowly, systematically. Most people who go 'gung ho' and say "Monday that's it! I'm starting fresh!!" wind up quitting or giving up. Note - careful with the fasted cardio, i'd take a BCAA/EAA supplement prior.

Started ECA stack. Have used this stack in my early 20's with good results. Started slow (8mg E, 100mg C, 85mg A) x2 per day. Taking Sundays off. Am currently on (24mg E, 200mg C, 85mg A) x3 Mon to Fri. Sat and Sun. only once per day in morning.
    What are you using for the ephedrine? Also, why only 1x on weekends?

Week 5 to Today: Diet is basically same. Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri AM fasted cardio. Weights Mon, Wed, Fri. Sat or Sun outdoor activities (swimming, running, yard work...etc) or just do some Eliptical if bad weather.

Weight on July 28, 226lbs. So just the initial starting weight comes off and now the real meat of the dieting is starting
    Yep. Likely a good amount of water weight came off, plus some fat, assuming you're doing things right. probably 50/50 - great job so far! Yes, time to get down to it now!

Current workout Routine:

Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri (Fasted morning cardio 25 or 30 min) Usually higher intensity, but some days (Thurs after leg day usually) moderate intensity.
    I would not do fasted cardio at a high intensity (even with the addition of BCAAs). This is one sure way to burn up muscle. When doing cardio fasted, I suggest good ol' slow and steady - i.e. steady state or moderate intensity.

2 warmup sets before all working sets
    All working sets are to failure

Monday (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    - Military Press - 2 sets (6 to 12 reps)
    - Incline Bench Press - 2 sets (6 to 12 reps)
    - Dips - 2 sets to failure

Wednesday (Legs)
    - Squats - 2 sets (10 to 20 reps)
    - Glute Ham raises - 2 sets (10 to 20 reps)
    - Calf Raises - 2 sets to failure

Friday (Back and Biceps)
    - Chinups - 2 sets to failure
    - Bent BB rows - 2 sets (6 to 12 reps)
    - Easy curl bar curls - 2 sets (8 to 20)
    I'm going to leave the workout for another time right now as diet is what i'm most concerned with, and what will make a bigger impact right now. That said, i'd keep reps relatively high, and reset periods short

Diet: Basically the same each day, with some variation in food. For example some days when i'm in a rush, I will down a protein shake with ground up oats in it and eat a banana. Instead of the usual 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, Two pieces of Ancient grain bread.
    Noted - we all do it.

-4 egg whites
    -1 whole egg
    -diced onion
    -2 slices Lilydale turkey bacon (50 cal / 2 fat / 0 carb / 10 prot)
    Totals (425 Cal / 12 F / 41 C / 41 P)
    Not bad... but where is 41g carbs coming from - an onion?? I'd drop the onion in any event (sugar) and replace with a good clean complex carb - I smell oats!

Is this just whey? If so, i'd replace with a protein blend - i.e. casein, whey, egg, etc. Also, add a few fish oil caps

Meal 3: (12:30 Lunch)
    - Homemade Chili (if not this then Tuna sandwich usually)
    Totals (550 Cal / 22 F / 38 C / 55 P)
    Not digging this one TBH. That's a big meal for a low activity time, and fat heavy to boot. I'd ditch this completely, surely you can come up with something better. What do the macros look like for the tuna sandwich?

- 2 scoops Isoflex Isolate (sometimes I'll also grab a half handfull of mixed nuts, but not usually)
    I'd drop the nuts and add a good complex carb source here to fuel your workout. Add fish oils in place of nuts

Meal 5: (5:45 PM) Post WO
    - 2 scoops ground oats
    Totals (372 Cal / 3 F / 28 C / 59 P)
    Nice

Totals (300 Cal / 10 F / 0 C / 50 P)
    Great!

Meal 7: (10:00 PM)
    - 1 Large piece of homemade lean beef jerky (150 Cal / 4 F / 8 C / 22 P)? (I'm guessing on the numbers for this)
    Totals (200 Cal / 3 F / 10 C / 30 P)
    Strong finish! Not a big deal for your purpose, but keep an eye on a huge amounts of sodium that come with those 'crunchy salty snacks!

Grand Total WO day (2291 Cal / 50 F / 119 C / 343 P)
    Grand Total Non WO day (1919 Cal / 47 F / 91 C / 284 P)
    I'd need full stats (height, etc) or better yet, pics in order to comment on total calories. Protein is likely high on WO days, I like where carbs and fats are on both days however. We may need to make your WO days look more like non-workout days, and possibly drop carbs on non-workout days.

Then to bed around Midnight.

Fridays i have a cheat evening, where i eat whatever i want from 7:00PM till bed time. Usually an awesome supper (pizza, hamburgers..etc.) and some snacks while wife and i watch a movie.
    I realize this helps with sanity, trust me I do. But for a little while, you should really consider stopping this. It's counter productive - especially an evening vs. just a meal. You can easily negate a week's worth of caloric deficit with a cheat evening.

You want to change - so it's time to change your habits. Kick it up a notch and ditch this evening - for now. This is temporary. It's way easier to maintain a lower bodyfat than it is to reach it, remember that.

I started taking Creating Monohydrate on Aug 9. Twice a day at 5g.

On Aug. 12th I was 224.4lbs. So I'm making progress. And i can see the differences in the mirror. Folds and flaps (lol) have been disappearing. I did all my measurements on June 28th and again on July 28th (biceps, thighs, neck...etc) I have gained size on my thighs and arms. Lost some on my chest, neck and a teeny bit on my waist. I'll do them again on Aug 28th and report my progress. I hate that my waist is the last to lose the fat lol. But thats life.
    Sounds like you're doing it right this time. Don't worry about the waist, it is the absolute last to go. Look at my avy - i'm 5'11 and roughly 182lbs there and still have plenty of lower back/abdominal fat. I was once 255lbs, so I understand where you're coming from. It takes time.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can offer and sorry for the long post. I've just read too many times "give more details", so i gave as much as i could think of.
    More is better than not enough, and God knows we get plenty of those types of posts!

Wow, great info Gbrice. thanks. I replied below to most of your responses.

1. Understandable. Did it seem like a cookie cutter program, or was it specifically designed around you, your stats, lifestyle, access to equipment, etc?

Yes. After the first couple of months i realized this must be exactly what he's using for all his clients. Male and female. Never analyzed "Me" enough. The food amounts, I believe, would have been based off my height and weight .. but no other stats were given. I'm a firm believer that not every body is the same. For example my brother in law is almost the exact same height and weight as me. But, definitely a completely different body type. So, why would you treat his diet and exercise plan the same way as mine. "After" we were given our diet plans and workout schedules, we were requested to send pictures. I will try and find the pictures and get some new ones posted for you to see.

2. Yep... a sure sign you lost mostly muscle and very little fat. Interesting, because the plan as you laid it out (at a glance) doesn't sound so far off.

The truth is, the plan was probably pretty good. Like i said it just didnt feel right for me. The workouts were mostly isolation exercises with some compounds and at least 25 working sets per workout. My time in the gym was almost always 2 hours on workout days. And there was no flexibility in foods. I know that in order to make changes you have to be strict, i get that, but sometimes life doesnt allow for it. I think i just got too rundown from working out without enough food to fuel me .

3. And he was aware that you looked practically the same? Were you routinely sending him progress pics?

We sent pics close to the beginning and at 12 weeks, and again around the end, i think. I'll check with my wife and see what we have for pics. I'll try and get them up here.

4. Understandable. My wife is 6 weeks away and i'm in the middle of a hardcore cut, lol!

Congrats! My wife is 8 1/2 weeks away. Yeah, she is not happy with me trying to eat healthy NOW lol. All as she wants to do is pig out, and me to join her. lol

5. I like how you're taking it slowly, systematically. Most people who go 'gung ho' and say "Monday that's it! I'm starting fresh!!" wind up quitting or giving up. Note - careful with the fasted cardio, i'd take a BCAA/EAA supplement prior.

I've rushed dieting too many times and this time i want to make a life change. Not just a diet.

6. What are you using for the ephedrine? Also, why only 1x on weekends?

I'm from Canada so Ephedrine HCL is pretty easy to come by. I wanted to take a couple of days to give my body a break. I know its not necessary, but this way i feel the energy a little more once the week starts again on Monday. The single dose is just so i don't crash and become a zombie, on the weekends

7. I would not do fasted cardio at a high intensity (even with the addition of BCAAs). This is one sure way to burn up muscle. When doing cardio fasted, I suggest good ol' slow and steady - i.e. steady state or moderate intensity.

Ok. Great I like this idea even better anyway lol. Makes getting on the eliptical in the morning less painfull. How long is a good amount of time for cardio at a moderate pace? I'm doing 30min currently.

8. Not bad... but where is 41g carbs coming from - an onion?? I'd drop the onion in any event (sugar) and replace with a good clean complex carb - I smell oats!

Oops, I forgot to add that in. It was supposed to be 3/4 cup of oats or 2 slices of Ancient Grain Whole grain bread. My bad.

9. Is this just whey? If so, i'd replace with a protein blend - i.e. casein, whey, egg, etc. Also, add a few fish oil caps

Ok. I'll look into some blends. All i have at the moment is Isolate. And i also forgot to put in the fish oil caps. I take 2g in the morning and 2g in afternoon or evening.

10. Not digging this one TBH. That's a big meal for a low activity time, and fat heavy to boot. I'd ditch this completely, surely you can come up with something better. What do the macros look like for the tuna sandwich?

I most definitely can do better. I will work on this meal. I was just under the impression that keeping the majority of my carbs in morning and lunch was a good idea. And getting very little afternoon and evening. I can move some of these carbs around tho. And you are very right. Highly low activity. I am sitting at my desk usually at this time.

11. I'd drop the nuts and add a good complex carb source here to fuel your workout. Add fish oils in place of nuts

Nuts dropped... that just sounds bad... but you get it. And would it be better to take the fish oils with both the protein shakes? Or does that matter?

12. Strong finish! Not a big deal for your purpose, but keep an eye on a huge amounts of sodium that come with those 'crunchy salty snacks!

I know salt is not always that great. But this keeps me sane. IMO, this snack gets rid of all my cravings. Completely. I used to have a bad problem with hunger and snacking in the evenings. This combo just makes me feel full and satisfied.

13. I'd need full stats (height, etc) or better yet, pics in order to comment on total calories. Protein is likely high on WO days, I like where carbs and fats are on both days however. We may need to make your WO days look more like non-workout days, and possibly drop carbs on non-workout days.

I'm 5'11" and 223 this morning. I'll get all my measurements tonight and look on my wifes comp for those pics. And take some new ones.

14. I realize this helps with sanity, trust me I do. But for a little while, you should really consider stopping this. It's counter productive - especially an evening vs. just a meal. You can easily negate a week's worth of caloric deficit with a cheat evening.

You want to change - so it's time to change your habits. Kick it up a notch and ditch this evening - for now. This is temporary. It's way easier to maintain a lower bodyfat than it is to reach it, remember that.

Noted. The truth is that the last 3 cheat evenings have been unsatisfying anyway. I just feel guiilty the whole time and feel like crap afterwords. I get more pleasure from eating healthy... almost proud of myself each time i do lol. I only went through those evenings the last couple of times to keep my wife happy lol. I'll talk to her tonight. I also don't want to get myself "Wanting" bad food... if you know what i mean. Once a month might be a better idea.. or even every 20 days or something.

15. Sounds like you're doing it right this time. Don't worry about the waist, it is the absolute last to go. Look at my avy - i'm 5'11 and roughly 182lbs there and still have plenty of lower back/abdominal fat. I was once 255lbs, so I understand where you're coming from. It takes time.

Thanks Gbrice. I've read a TON of your posts, you are a big inspiration. Very impressed and inspired by your progress and mostly your dedication.

Wow, great info Gbrice. thanks. I replied below to most of your responses.
    You're quite welcome bro. I always enjoy helping people who take the time to really lay things out. It shows commitment and a serious attitude IMO.

1. Understandable. Did it seem like a cookie cutter program, or was it specifically designed around you, your stats, lifestyle, access to equipment, etc?

Yes. After the first couple of months i realized this must be exactly what he's using for all his clients. Male and female. Never analyzed "Me" enough. The food amounts, I believe, would have been based off my height and weight .. but no other stats were given. I'm a firm believer that not every body is the same. For example my brother in law is almost the exact same height and weight as me. But, definitely a completely different body type. So, why would you treat his diet and exercise plan the same way as mine. "After" we were given our diet plans and workout schedules, we were requested to send pictures. I will try and find the pictures and get some new ones posted for you to see.
    I kinda figured this. You're absolutely right about people being different. There is NO WAY (or very little chance) that the same diet will work exactly the same way for person A vs. person B.

2. Yep... a sure sign you lost mostly muscle and very little fat. Interesting, because the plan as you laid it out (at a glance) doesn't sound so far off.

The truth is, the plan was probably pretty good. Like i said it just didnt feel right for me. The workouts were mostly isolation exercises with some compounds and at least 25 working sets per workout. My time in the gym was almost always 2 hours on workout days. And there was no flexibility in foods. I know that in order to make changes you have to be strict, i get that, but sometimes life doesnt allow for it. I think i just got too rundown from working out without enough food to fuel me.
    Very possible - and not a good feeling. I've done it to myself. Irritable, tired, weathered - people even told me I looked tired and 'older'. Not a fun time for me.

3. And he was aware that you looked practically the same? Were you routinely sending him progress pics?

We sent pics close to the beginning and at 12 weeks, and again around the end, i think. I'll check with my wife and see what we have for pics. I'll try and get them up here.
    Cool. I would have wanted to see pics every 2 weeks. How could he possibly make adjustments without seeing progress?

4. Understandable. My wife is 6 weeks away and i'm in the middle of a hardcore cut, lol!

Congrats! My wife is 8 1/2 weeks away. Yeah, she is not happy with me trying to eat healthy NOW lol. All as she wants to do is pig out, and me to join her. lol
    Thanks, congrats to you as well! And I hear ya - I have NO idea how i'm holding it together right now. She has every gotdamn bad thing in the house atm

5. I like how you're taking it slowly, systematically. Most people who go 'gung ho' and say "Monday that's it! I'm starting fresh!!" wind up quitting or giving up. Note - careful with the fasted cardio, i'd take a BCAA/EAA supplement prior.

I've rushed dieting too many times and this time i want to make a life change. Not just a diet.
    ^^^ Great attitude!

6. What are you using for the ephedrine? Also, why only 1x on weekends?

I'm from Canada so Ephedrine HCL is pretty easy to come by. I wanted to take a couple of days to give my body a break. I know its not necessary, but this way i feel the energy a little more once the week starts again on Monday. The single dose is just so i don't crash and become a zombie, on the weekends
    Gotcha, no biggie, was just curious

7. I would not do fasted cardio at a high intensity (even with the addition of BCAAs). This is one sure way to burn up muscle. When doing cardio fasted, I suggest good ol' slow and steady - i.e. steady state or moderate intensity.

Ok. Great! I like this idea even better anyway lol. Makes getting on the eliptical in the morning less painfull. How long is a good amount of time for cardio at a moderate pace? I'm doing 30min currently.
    I'd say at least 30 mins. 45-60 would be optimal. or (2) 30-40 mins session/day on those days?

8. Not bad... but where is 41g carbs coming from - an onion?? I'd drop the onion in any event (sugar) and replace with a good clean complex carb - I smell oats!

Oops, I forgot to add that in. It was supposed to be 3/4 cup of oats or 2 slices of Ancient Grain Whole grain bread. My bad.
    Ok. I'd still ditch the onion ... for now.

9. Is this just whey? If so, i'd replace with a protein blend - i.e. casein, whey, egg, etc. Also, add a few fish oil caps

Ok. I'll look into some blends. All i have at the moment is Isolate. And i also forgot to put in the fish oil caps. I take 2g in the morning and 2g in afternoon or evening.
    Good. Add more if possible - 2g with each meal

10. Not digging this one TBH. That's a big meal for a low activity time, and fat heavy to boot. I'd ditch this completely, surely you can come up with something better. What do the macros look like for the tuna sandwich?

I most definitely can do better. I will work on this meal. I was just under the impression that keeping the majority of my carbs in morning and lunch was a good idea. And getting very little afternoon and evening. I can move some of these carbs around tho. And you are very right. Highly low activity. I am sitting at my desk usually at this time.
    Somehow I figured that! Carbs in your first meal of the day is good (unless doing cardio only first then, then i'd opt for fasted) but why lunchtime? Your body doesn't know 'lunchtime' or 'dinnertime' - it knows activity, and inactivity. So, focus your carbs around your activities, not man-made times of day. If your workout were 8pm, i'd still be telling you to eat the majority of your carbs around it

11. I'd drop the nuts and add a good complex carb source here to fuel your workout. Add fish oils in place of nuts

Nuts dropped... that just sounds bad... but you get it. And would it be better to take the fish oils with both the protein shakes? Or does that matter?
    Addressed already - 2g w/ each meal if possible would be a great start

12. Strong finish! Not a big deal for your purpose, but keep an eye on a huge amounts of sodium that come with those 'crunchy salty snacks!

I know salt is not always that great. But this keeps me sane. IMO, this snack gets rid of all my cravings. Completely. I used to have a bad problem with hunger and snacking in the evenings. This combo just makes me feel full and satisfied.
    Completely understood, and no problem, have the pickles. Sodium really isn't an issue until you get into really low bodyfat percentage anyway. For guys like you (and me for that matter), it won't make any difference right now

13. I'd need full stats (height, etc) or better yet, pics in order to comment on total calories. Protein is likely high on WO days, I like where carbs and fats are on both days however. We may need to make your WO days look more like non-workout days, and possibly drop carbs on non-workout days.

I'm 5'11" and 223 this morning. I'll get all my measurements tonight and look on my wifes comp for those pics. And take some new ones.
    We're the same height, makes things even easier on me to work with you! Looking forward to the pics

14. I realize this helps with sanity, trust me I do. But for a little while, you should really consider stopping this. It's counter productive - especially an evening vs. just a meal. You can easily negate a week's worth of caloric deficit with a cheat evening.

Noted. The truth is that the last 3 cheat evenings have been unsatisfying anyway. I just feel guiilty the whole time and feel like crap afterwords. I get more pleasure from eating healthy... almost proud of myself each time i do lol. I only went through those evenings the last couple of times to keep my wife happy lol. I'll talk to her tonight. I also don't want to get myself "Wanting" bad food... if you know what i mean. Once a month might be a better idea.. or even every 20 days or something.
    Love what you said here, about feeling proud. I know the feeling well! You've said you read my posts - so you probably know I am a binge eater and have an insatiable sweet tooth and love junk food. The cravings DO go away, but when you feed them, they come RIGHT back. I went without sugary stuff for almost 3 weeks straight - ate ONE BITE of a birthday cake, and literally started sweating (probably mental more than anything) - I had an insane craving for SUGAR. It's truly an addictive substance.

15. Sounds like you're doing it right this time. Don't worry about the waist, it is the absolute last to go. Look at my avy - i'm 5'11 and roughly 182lbs there and still have plenty of lower back/abdominal fat. I was once 255lbs, so I understand where you're coming from. It takes time.

Thanks Gbrice. I've read a TON of your posts, you are a big inspiration. Very impressed and inspired by your progress and mostly your dedication.
    Thank you bro, I appreciate that! I'm in a good place right now, and hopefully I can be of some help getting you there with me!

Ok well here are a few pics

These two are from May 2010 @ 250 lbs ( 1 at rest, 1 flexed )
    http://db.tt/MhR32PU
    http://db.tt/qPAH9BP

These 3 are from tonight August 2011 ( 2 at rest, 1 flexed )
    http://db.tt/QcNiByA
    http://db.tt/PlyWOY5
    http://db.tt/qOxby0u

Anyway, a lot of work to do. I know, but that's why I'm here.

Here are my stats from the last couple months

June 28, 2011
    236lbs
    Arm - 15.75"
    Neck - 18"
    Chest - 48"
    Waist - 41.5"
    Thigh - 24.5"
    Calf - 16"

August 16, 2011
    223lbs
    Arm - 16.25"
    Neck - 17"
    Chest - 46.75"
    Waist - 40"
    Thigh - 25.25"
    Calf - 16"

Making some progress. Not as fast as I'd like, but it never is fast enough right lol

Thanks for the advice. Hope the links work properly
    Last edited by Swelbow; 08-17-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Sorry the pictures are so big.. looked fine on my ipad last night. I've changed them back to URL's for easier reading.
    Last edited by Swelbow; 08-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Good luck to you! You are in great hands here.

and....the mask is one of the best I've seen so far!

YOU CAN DO IT!

Slow wins the race here. Consistency.

WELCOME!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Arms and chest actually grew while the waist shrunk... great job bro. Keep going at this pace and you will reach your goal. Slimmer said the magic word, the single most important word in this entire game - CONSISTENCY!!!! It took me a while to grasp this concept, and it's not a tough one to understand!

I've revised my meals a bit. What do you think? (I am ordering a protein blend to replace the first Isolate shake of the day) And 5 or 6g of fish oils will be taken throughout the day.

-4 egg whites (63 Cal/ 0 F/ 1 C/ 14.5 P)
    -1 whole egg (72 Cal/ 5 F/ 0.5 C/ 6.5 P)
    -2 slices Lilydale turkey bacon (50 Cal/ 2 F/ 0 C/ 10 P)
    -1/4 cup oats powder (chugged in lots of water)(75 Cal/ 1.5 F/ 13.5 C/ 2.5 P)
    -1 slice Ancient Grain Whole grain bread (120 Cal/ 2 F/ 20 C/ 5 P)
    Total (380 Cal/ 10.5 F/ 35 C/ 39.5 P)

- 1.5 scoops Isoflex Isolate (166 Cal/ 0 F/ 1 C/ 40.5 P)
    Total (166 Cal/ 0 F/ 1 C/ 40.5 P)

Meal 3: (12:30 Lunch) Basically same as meal six
    Total (330 Cal/ 11 F/ 0 C/ 53 P)

- 1/2 bananna (53 Cal/ 0 F/ 13 C/ 1 P)
    Total (219 Cal/ 0 F/ 14 C / 41.5 P)

Meal 5: (6:00 PM) Post WO
    - 2 scoops ground oats
    Totals (372 Cal /3 F /28 C /59 P)

- throw this in a whole wheat wrap on workout days (100 Cal/ 2.5 F/ 14 C/ 5 P)
    Total (330 Cal/ 11 F/ 0 C/ 53 P)
    Total (on WO days)(430 Cal/ 13.5 F/ 14 C/ 58 P)

Meal 7: (10:30 PM)
    - 1 Large piece of homemade lean beef jerky (150 Cal/ 4 F/ 8 C/ 22 P)? (I'm guessing on the numbers for this)
    Totals (200 Cal/ 3 F/ 10 C/ 30 P)

Grand Total WO day (2097 Cal/ 41 F/ 102 C/ 321.5 P)
    Grand Total Non WO day (1625 Cal/ 35.5 F/ 60 C/ 257.5 P)
    Last edited by Swelbow; 08-17-2011 at 02:42 PM.

I've revised my meals a bit. What do you think? (I am ordering a protein blend to replace the first Isolate shake of the day) And 5 or 6g of fish oils will be taken throughout the day.
    Noted. Stick with the isolate until finished - no need to throw money away.

-4 egg whites (63 Cal/ 0 F/ 1 C/ 14.5 P)
    -1 whole egg (72 Cal/ 5 F/ 0.5 C/ 6.5 P)
    -2 slices Lilydale turkey bacon (50 Cal/ 2 F/ 0 C/ 10 P)
    -1/4 cup oats powder (chugged in lots of water)(75 Cal/ 1.5 F/ 13.5 C/ 2.5 P)
    -1 slice Ancient Grain Whole grain bread (120 Cal/ 2 F/ 20 C/ 5 P)
    Total (380 Cal/ 10.5 F/ 35 C/ 39.5 P)
    Decent

Total (166 Cal/ 0 F/ 1 C/ 40.5 P)
    protein only? How about some fish oils and veggies here

Meal 3: (12:30 Lunch) Basically same as meal six
    Total (300 Cal/ 10 F/ 0 C/ 50 P)
    Nice. tsp of EVOO would be a better option than molly mcbutter (but not a tasty, I know)

Total (219 Cal/ 0 F/ 14 C / 41.5 P)
    Why'd this meal change so much? Thought we were pretty clear and squared away on pre/pwo carb nutrition? Replace the banana w/ complex carbs, and more than 14 - about 30-40g

Meal 5: (6:00 PM) Post WO
    - 2 scoops ground oats
    Totals (372 Cal /3 F /28 C /59 P)
    Good

- throw this in a whole wheat wrap on workout days (100 Cal/ 2.5 F/ 14 C/ 5 P)
    Total (300 Cal/ 10 F/ 0 C/ 50 P)
    Total (on WO days)(400 Cal/ 12.5 F/ 14 C/ 55 P)
    Nice

Meal 7: (10:30 PM)
    - 1 Large piece of homemade lean beef jerky (150 Cal/ 4 F/ 8 C/ 22 P)? (I'm guessing on the numbers for this)
    Totals (200 Cal/ 3 F/ 10 C/ 30 P)
    Good deal

Grand Total WO day (2037 Cal/ 39 F/ 102 C/ 315.5 P)
    Grand Total Non WO day (1565 Cal/ 33.5 F/ 60 C/ 251.5 P)
    I like the numbers. Try and bring the protein up a bit on non-workout days. Protein macro shouldn't change much if at all, same with fat. Only carbs really IMO

Thanks Gbrice

So, basically every days Proteins and Fats should be close to the same. But I get an extra meal with complex carbs on WO days in a PWO. So to make things equal i need to add more meats or high protein foods with low to zero carbs.

I will add 1 whole egg (72 Cal/ 5 F/ 0.5 C/ 6.5 P) and 2 whites (31 Cal/ 0 F/ 0 F/ 7 P) to breakfast and aproximately 1 ounce of meat to meals 3 and 6 on non workout days (112 Cal/ 4 F/ 0 C/ 18 P). That should help make up some of the fat and prot difference and only add around 215 cal.

I can make Meal 4 like this:
    - 1 scoops Isoflex Isolate (111 Cal/ 0 F/ 0 C/ 27 P)
    - 1/2 cup ground oats powder (150 Cal/ 3 F/ 27 C/ 5 P)
    Total (314 Cal/ 3 F/ 40 C / 33 P)

I take my 3rd dose of ECA at 4:30 in the afternoon. Not long after this meal. Are the carbs in meal 4 for energy for my workout? Will taking my ECA dose at 4:30 make any difference to how many carbs I'll need for energy?

I know you say not to have a banana, but i've read it is supposed to help with potassium levels when you are on ECA stack. When i'm off the stack I will drop the half banana. Low potassium has a risk for heart issues. Am i being over paranoid? Or does this sound right?

During Meal 2 I am usually flat out busy at work. So, this is not a perfect meal i know. But I am now taking 1 or 2g fish oils during this meal... started today.

Also, what is EVOO?

Thanks again Gbrice.

Thanks Gbrice

So, basically every days Proteins and Fats should be close to the same. But I get an extra meal with complex carbs on WO days in a PWO. So to make things equal i need to add more meats or high protein foods with low to zero carbs.
    Basically, yes

I will add 1 whole egg (72 Cal/ 5 F/ 0.5 C/ 6.5 P) and 2 whites (31 Cal/ 0 F/ 0 F/ 7 P) to breakfast and aproximately 1 ounce of meat to meals 3 and 6 on non workout days (112 Cal/ 4 F/ 0 C/ 18 P). That should help make up some of the fat and prot difference and only add around 215 cal.
    Sounds good

I can make Meal 4 like this:
    - 1 scoops Isoflex Isolate (111 Cal/ 0 F/ 0 C/ 27 P)
    - 1/2 cup ground oats powder (150 Cal/ 3 F/ 27 C/ 5 P)
    Total (314 Cal/ 3 F/ 40 C / 33 P)
    Looks alot better

I take my 3rd dose of ECA at 4:30 in the afternoon. Not long after this meal. Are the carbs in meal 4 for energy for my workout? Will taking my ECA dose at 4:30 make any difference to how many carbs I'll need for energy?
    Yep

I know you say not to have a banana, but i've read it is supposed to help with potassium levels when you are on ECA stack. When i'm off the stack I will drop the half banana. Low potassium has a risk for heart issues. Am i being over paranoid? Or does this sound right?
    Potassium can be supplemented, without the added sugar

During Meal 2 I am usually flat out busy at work. So, this is not a perfect meal i know. But I am now taking 1 or 2g fish oils during this meal... started today.
    Good - maybe even take 4-5g at this meal since you have virtually nothing else in there.

Also, what is EVOO?
    lol sorry - extra virgin olive oil

Thanks again Gbrice.
    You bet!

222lbs this morning

Diet feels good. Workouts feel good. Lifts have all gone up.

Had to add an extra set to each exercise this week. Just Didn't feel like I was working hard enough. And it felt wrong to stop with soo much energy left.

Question for you guys. What do you think about sauerkraut as a cutting food. I know it has a lot of salt, but most of that should be in the brine. I drain and do a quick rinse on mine.

Cooked up a jar with 8 pieces of chopped turkey bacon, half an onion and a diced tomato tonight. Ate about 2/3s of it as my cheat meal, but after runnin the numbers it looks like it's actually not a bad meal at all. I knew it wouldn't b a terrible meal but I think I only ended up with around 220 cals aprox. That seems pretty low for such a good meal

Anyway. Whats the consensus on sauerkraut?

Thread Information