Thread: Insulin Spike!

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member

Insulin Spike!

Is it worth creating an insulin spike with some simple sugars while on my cutting diet. After my AM fasted cardio and after my PM weights workout. As long as I can work it into my macro's?

Here's what iv found. honey, cane sugar, sugar, grapes, raisins, dates, maltose (milk sugar), maltodextrin (Gatorade / Powerade), watermelon... Not sure out of all those which would be the best?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Stay away from honey, its mainly frutose, not a desirable sugar. I don't tend to do insulin spikes during cutting, unless you count oats in post workout shake, which wil increase insulin. Maybe just half a powerade after your PM session.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Not at all IMO.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Actually honey is around 50%glucose / 50% fructose.
    I wouldnt purposely ingest pure sugar at any time - but thats just me. If you are going to have some simple sugar in your diet id do it in the form of fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Is it worth creating an insulin spike with some simple sugars while on my cutting diet. After my AM fasted cardio and after my PM weights workout. As long as I can work it into my macro's?

Here's what iv found. honey, cane sugar, sugar, grapes, raisins, dates, maltose (milk sugar), maltodextrin (Gatorade / Powerade), watermelon... Not sure out of all those which would be the best?

What do you think the benefits of deliberately spiking your insulin while cutting would be?

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    the only time i'll allow an insulin spike is if my blood stream is flooded with amino acids ... and my glycogen stores have been depleted..

with that said, I've dropped dextrose from my post workout drink.. since i only workout eod, I normally have time to recover prior to the next workout..

When this does not apply is when i am cutting hard and doing cardio everyother day opposite of weight training..

In an ideal training environment.. I'll do 40-50 minutes of heavy resistance training, then consume BCAA then 40 minutes of low intensity cardio 110-120 max heart rate..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    the only time i'll allow an insulin spike is if my blood stream is flooded with amino acids ... and my glycogen stores have been depleted..

When this does not apply is when i am cutting hard and doing cardio everyother day opposite of weight training..
    ^^ this - is the only time it's acceptable IMO. That said, I still don't do it. IMO, the benefits of stable blood glucose levels outweigh the supposed benefits of spiking insulin. It's not like if you don't 'spike' insulin, you miss out on it's benefits as an anabolic hormone. Complex carbs will still cause the pancreas to release insulin and it will do it's job just the same. I don't see the point in 'spiking and dipping' tbh. Even protein causes the release of insulin, albeit to a lesser degree than carbs. Fats have little to no effect however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    What do you think the benefits of deliberately spiking your insulin while cutting would be?
    Just read an article saying that insulin spikes in the body allow amino acids to be utilized much better and faster. But now reading more i can see how it might not be so useful in a cutting diet rather work againest it. Depends on goals i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post

with that said, I've dropped dextrose from my post workout drink.. since i only workout eod, I normally have time to recover prior to the next workout..

In an ideal training environment.. I'll do 40-50 minutes of heavy resistance training, then consume BCAA then 40 minutes of low intensity cardio 110-120 max heart rate..
    So your saying the only time you would have it is when your bodys depleated, meaning after HI weight training for exampple? If you were training ED.

Thread Information