Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My 16 year old daughter needs help

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    yes, keep the protein in there and lower some of the oats if she is feeling full. not so much about 'putting' on muscle, it is more like feeding the muscles she already has. casein protein takes longer for your body to break it down, and hopefully in turn, burn more cals through out the day, by increasing ones metabolism. at least thats what i think? don't look at drinking a protein shake as just muscle building. proteins (amino acids) are the building blocks of our body and we need them in order to function properly, just like the oats (carbs). have you worked out her macros to see how much of each she is getting through out the day? protein%/carb%/fat% ?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    protein helps a lot like OOCanjun said...

and when you say she is not building muscle but merely just wants to lose BF the best way to lose BF is to build muscle...and trust me the protein in a shake will not bulk her. I too was concerned about this when I first started out thinking that whey (or whey/casein) was only for BB's but it has helped me a lot to keep my energy which is very important
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Thanks guys.
    We will stick with the Casein. She tried Whey too, but it made her bloated.
    We would have done a lot better by now if it had not been for the "Mono".
    She has not been able to exercise at all, but she will have her first session with the personal trainer on Monday.
    Tomorrow she will draw blood again to check her liver values, and maybe they have her thyroid results by now.

^^ a lot is not needed. I do one scoop of my whey instead of 3 scoops which is recommended on the package yet 3 is WAY too much
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Keeping protein in her diet is definitely important. Protein has the highest thermophile out of the 3 macros (pro, carb, fat) and the fewest calories per gram (4.1 cal/g vs. 4.2cal/g carb vs. 9 cal/g fat), so she is ingesting a slightly lower amount of calories, while forcing her body to work a little bit harder to digest them burning more overall. Although her diet is very important, I think therapy to help her have a better self-image, self esteem boost, and possibly just another person to talk to is paramount based upon the previous posts you have made. At 16 years old, she's nowhere near fully mature yet physiologically and psychologically. When humans are younger, there body is more capable of creating adipose (fat) cells. This is a natural process that is inherent and influenced by natural selection. Before humans became what society would call "civilized" those individuals with higher fat stores would have a higher probability of survival the perpetuating the cycle. Yo-yo dieting like she has been doing is going to have caused her body to produce more adipose cells for fat storage because she has gone to such extremes. This is coming from one with experience. I had many of the same body issues it sounds like your daughter is having growing up. I was fat until i was 20 years old and taunted for it as long as I can remember. I used to sneak candy, pop tarts, or whatever else I could get in the middle of the night when I was a kid. My allowance money went to stuff like snow cones and fried chicken. I was in denial about my weight for some time until one day I stepped on a scale and it read 274 lbs. It took some time and some extreme, unhealthy dieting like starving myself and a struggle with bulimia for awhile I dropped 107 lbs. ending up at the lightest I'd been (167 lbs.) since I was 12. I was able to overcome these issues by first realizing I had them and then working through them diligently and with support from my girlfriend. Since then, I got into bodybuilding, taught myself how to really eat healthy and have put on about 35lbs. of muscle naturally since I started weight training a few years ago. Basically, try to stay positive, be open and honest with your daughter. LISTEN to her. It will be hard for her to put into words what she feels like on the inside, but just you showing concern, love, and care can go a long way.

^^^ wonderful....just simply wonderful.....
    Author Unknown

Flier is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    Keeping protein in her diet is definitely important. Protein has the highest thermophile out of the 3 macros (pro, carb, fat) and the fewest calories per gram (4.1 cal/g vs. 4.2cal/g carb vs. 9 cal/g fat), so she is ingesting a slightly lower amount of calories, while forcing her body to work a little bit harder to digest them burning more overall. Although her diet is very important, I think therapy to help her have a better self-image, self esteem boost, and possibly just another person to talk to is paramount based upon the previous posts you have made. At 16 years old, she's nowhere near fully mature yet physiologically and psychologically. When humans are younger, there body is more capable of creating adipose (fat) cells. This is a natural process that is inherent and influenced by natural selection. Before humans became what society would call "civilized" those individuals with higher fat stores would have a higher probability of survival the perpetuating the cycle. Yo-yo dieting like she has been doing is going to have caused her body to produce more adipose cells for fat storage because she has gone to such extremes. This is coming from one with experience. I had many of the same body issues it sounds like your daughter is having growing up. I was fat until i was 20 years old and taunted for it as long as I can remember. I used to sneak candy, pop tarts, or whatever else I could get in the middle of the night when I was a kid. My allowance money went to stuff like snow cones and fried chicken. I was in denial about my weight for some time until one day I stepped on a scale and it read 274 lbs. It took some time and some extreme, unhealthy dieting like starving myself and a struggle with bulimia for awhile I dropped 107 lbs. ending up at the lightest I'd been (167 lbs.) since I was 12. I was able to overcome these issues by first realizing I had them and then working through them diligently and with support from my girlfriend. Since then, I got into bodybuilding, taught myself how to really eat healthy and have put on about 35lbs. of muscle naturally since I started weight training a few years ago. Basically, try to stay positive, be open and honest with your daughter. LISTEN to her. It will be hard for her to put into words what she feels like on the inside, but just you showing concern, love, and care can go a long way.
    Well said, I had her read it.
    Makes sense, those with higher fat stores had higher survival rates.
    Interesting how certain beneficial traits become useless as technology prevail evolution by .....a couple of thousand years...depending.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    ^^^ wonderful....just simply wonderful.....
    Thank you Slimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post
    Well said, I had her read it.
    Makes sense, those with higher fat stores had higher survival rates.
    Interesting how certain beneficial traits become useless as technology prevail evolution by .....a couple of thousand years...depending.
    I hope it helps both your daughter and yourself Flier. Look forward to read how you are both doing in the months to come. Feel free to ask any other questions should they arise and good luck with everything.

Yes, the rate at which technology has progressed since the Industrial Revolution blows the rate of evolutionary change out of the water. Even with the constant occurrence of mutation, genetic drift, geographic isolation/segregation, etc. it still takes en extremely long time for change to manifest itself in comparison to modern technology.

jaast is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flier View Post
    From childhood, she has always been just a little bigger than "normal".
    Maybe a little belly, maybe a little waist, a little on the butt.
    Cold be hidden with clothes, but made her embarrassed in a bikini.
    Made her very self conscious, trying to hide her belly with her arms sitting down.

She started enjoying dance a few years ago, and now with a dance group and competing. Working out like crazy for the past year....but still, a bit chunky.

I really donīt understand, almost like she lived a secret life, eating snicker bars at night. Because as much as she worked out, she should be skinny.

I am a single Dad, and very fit myself, but I work out every day (6'4"/240lbs/14BF)
    I am terrible in the kitchen, donīt make dinners, but we donīt have junk in the house.

She is 5'9"/150 lbs. But big boned, wide shoulders.
    I think she could easily loose 10 lbs and be healthy.

She just started a dance college, jazz, ballet etc.
    Tight clothes. She feels very bad about herself.
    I need to help her, itīs affecting her self image, and her life.

My suggestion:
    Eat every 3-4 hours.
    Breakfast: 2 sandwiches w/deli meat, or whole grain cereal, or banana w/cottege cheese, maybe coupled with one of my shakes?

Lunchat school), a meal consisting of the same as breakfast.

After school no more bread or milk products....right?
    No cottage cheese, milk, yoghurt etc

After school snack: Soup, or salad with tuna, or chicken with rice cake, or one of my shakes?

Dinner: Here I need to step up to the plate as a father, and make a nice healthy dinner at the same time every day.
    Potatoes, rice, or pasta, with chicken, fish or meat, with a good portion of different veggies.

Evening snack: No carbs. Piece of leftover meat and veggie from dinner, a fish cake on rice bread, or one of my Casein shakes?

What about my shakes? Can they add/supplement her diet? Replace a meal?
    I use different shakes, right now Muscle Milk.
    What about a protein bar?

Thanks a lot. We are starting this new process today.
    For dinner I will make Pesto Pasta with grilled Salmon, and cherry tomatoes on the side.

I know this thread is a bit old, but here is a bit of info:

DO NOT EAT WHITE SUGAR (part fructose, no vitamins) OR HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. Why? High fructose blocks a endocrine feedback loop from leptin from the fat cells. Leptin tells your brain to stop eating. High Fructose tells the brain to ignore the leptin and keep eating. High fructose messes with your endocrine system in a bad way (among other bad things). Result = gain fat/visceral fat easily.

Example of this principle in action: people who have taken stuff to make this system work have lost serious body fat percentage (one woman had brain damage that hurt this feedback loop, became overweight, got leptin injection, then lost body fat dramatically). There is good information about this process online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information