Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

jpowell is offline Banned
    Yea. Like I did calc on both. I didn't undrstand why one used lbm and the other used full weights. Also the big difference in meals. One used primarily shakes, the other had real solid foods.

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Remember that our bodies take time to adjust, nothing is immediate. I've always felt like whatever I did a month ago will impact me physically today. e.g. you fall off your diet and start eating like crap. This goes on for several weeks, however you weigh yourself and look in the mirror obsessively but it doesn't seem to be impacting you. Great!!!! Then you decide after a month to start getting serious about your diet again. You eat clean, watch your calories, etc but WTF!!!! Suddenly you've put on 5lbs and your abs look blurry. You are seeing the residuals from tour previous behavior. Results aren't immediate
    Thanks man, this is certainly some useful information. Sort of throws the idea of weighing in every few days out of the window in terms of measuring progress. I think ill give diet and training regimes a good 4-6 week run from now on before reassessing.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell View Post
    Yea. Like I did calc on both. I didn't undrstand why one used lbm and the other used full weights. Also the big difference in meals. One used primarily shakes, the other had real solid foods.
    I was looking for hard examples, i.e. post up both diets to compare.

Needless to say I'm a fan of the Palumbo approach vs. CKD, not because of any difference in shakes, etc. but rather the idea of small carb meals around the workout - I guess you could call it a quasi-keto diet.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    Thanks man, this is certainly some useful information. Sort of throws the idea of weighing in every few days out of the window in terms of measuring progress. I think ill give diet and training regimes a good 4-6 week run from now on before reassessing.
    Definitely!!

cyounger100 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    gbrice quick question im on a cutting diet and consume 2600 calories a day got everything in order was wondering how much sodium should i intake a day while cutting im trying too keep it under 1000 mgs a day but its tough ?

idk bro. I've googled and googled and also checked out some other threads. i think I've grasped the diet good enough to try it.

I've got everything dialed in between 46-69g pro a meal, 23g fat meal. 228-344g pro, 115g fat daily.

for starters, I'm just gonna stick to his exact sample meals obvi with minor adj b/c weight difference. but i will be sure to come back to the thread when i have questions.

now, in order to get into ketosis and stay, are you allowed sups pre and post or do away with them? also will chewing gum while at work stop or hinder the keto state?

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    CY, Sodium is a needed nutrient, The body uses sodium to regulate blood pressure and blood volume. Sodium is also critical for the functioning of muscles and nerves. It only makes u hold water, loose the fat first, then if you are competing or whatever do you manipulate your sodium intake the last week or so. Sodium is not keeping u fat.

Blog Entries
    jpowell, I did the palumbo diet, which is great, but i felt weak and hungry all the time, especially after drinking a whey shake. I felt the shakes caused an insulin spike which made me hungry, weak and tired. His ratio is basically 60 protein and 35 fat. I lost fat doing that but was very weak and felt like I was loosing muscle and fat. I changed the ratioo to about 65/30 fat to protein and it made a world of difference. I feel stronger, energy is great, not the peak and valley of a carb diet or palumbo. Oh and im loosing fat at 3100 to 3200 hundred calories a day. Now it took around 3 weeks for the body to chang over to burning fats for energy, but once it did I feel better than ever. Now on this diet, which is the Anabolic diet, you will eat 1 gram of fat per pound of body weight, then u will eat 1 gram of protein per lb of lbm. So you need to know your body fat, so that you can get your needed protein grams, for example if you weigh 200 lbs, and your body fat is 20%, then u would only need around 160 grams of protein and 200 grams of fat.

Razor is offline Banned
    GB, if I wanted to go from 192 at 12% to 200 @10%.
    what would my diet look like
    Currently I am in the slingshot training meathod by Ronnie
    I am in a two week deload low weight high reps.
    My caloric intake is low because my weights are low.
    When I go back to reload in another week
    I am going to have to increase caloric intake by 1500 I presume to gain muscle
    But I need to cut fat at the same time. I am taking GH as well 4.5iu a day. NO gear yet.
    Should help me eat a lot without gaining fat, but I still need to watch my diet.
    What should I do?
    Last edited by Razor; 02-09-2012 at 01:08 AM.

joebailey--where is there info on the anabolic diet? id b interested in learning about this one as well. somebody else suggested to me to high my fats and proteins to help lose bf points. he suggested i ran around 300g pro, and 160-170 fats. very low carbs, in fact all low impact no direct sources. lol now I'm back indecisive and riding the fence on which way to go. i went and bought food for palumbo keto last nite, but not sure if its the way to go.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    well GB i posted in ur lean gain thread and had to erase it cuz i thought it was this thread so.. im going on a cruise april 29.. i wanna be as lean as possible by then.. have talkd it over with SteM and he directed me to jimmyinkedup's thread on carb cycling.. i looked it over and im ready to try a carb cycle if u think its my best route?? would like to try and hit single digit bf or get as close as possible.. i know weve talkd bout it before but i am serious now and want to have it fresh in my mind (if u dont mind )

1. do u think id do good to have 2 high(200g) carb days, 2 zero(except green veg) carb days, 3 low(100g)carb days..?? if so what would be the best order or does it matter?

i was thinking:

mon: high(200g) chest
    tue: zero- back
    wed: zero- cardio only
    thu: high(200g) legs
    fri: low(100g) shoulders,arms
    sat: low(100g) cardio only
    sun: low(100g) off

curious as to whether i should count broccoli and asparagus into macros as well?? want to start this thing on monday..

also curious as to how to fit a cheat meal in here?? or if i should?? my cheat would be 2 whole chicken breasts(skin on..remove and dont eat the skin after cooked) grilled and baked sweet potato cut into fries...

thx man

attached is 2 current pics (and 1 original pic) so u can see where im at and be reminded of where i came from ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-original-2.jpg   ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-feb7-5.jpg   ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-shaved-6.jpg  

Razor is offline Banned
    Where is GB, need my question answered

Razor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    well GB i posted in ur lean gain thread and had to erase it cuz i thought it was this thread so.. im going on a cruise april 29.. i wanna be as lean as possible by then.. have talkd it over with SteM and he directed me to jimmyinkedup's thread on carb cycling.. i looked it over and im ready to try a carb cycle if u think its my best route?? would like to try and hit single digit bf or get as close as possible.. i know weve talkd bout it before but i am serious now and want to have it fresh in my mind (if u dont mind )

1. do u think id do good to have 2 high(200g) carb days, 2 zero(except green veg) carb days, 3 low(100g)carb days..?? if so what would be the best order or does it matter?

i was thinking:

curious as to whether i should count broccoli and asparagus into macros as well?? want to start this thing on monday..

also curious as to how to fit a cheat meal in here?? or if i should?? my cheat would be 2 whole chicken breasts(skin on..remove and dont eat the skin after cooked) grilled and baked sweet potato cut into fries...

thx man

attached is 2 current pics (and 1 original pic) so u can see where im at and be reminded of where i came from ..

405 your beasting bro

Blog Entries
    Jp, you can try the palumbo, but as i discovered unless you are taking chemicals i feel like you loose muscle. Also when you eat more protein than fat your body turns the protein into glucose defeating the purpose of a keto diet. The whole purpose of doing a keto diet is to make your body use fats as fuel instead of glucose. It will take 2 to 3 weeks for that to happen. Go to http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet...ic-diet-guide/ for more info. On the palumbo diet I was cutting fat, but also loosing strenght which made me realize i was probably loosing muscle. Also the palumbo diet was basically a low cal low carb diet. I cant live on a measly 2200 calories a day, I have a mans job working in the oil field. So i need my calories to stay strong. You can try both, I know, i bought all that protein powder too, have a box full of it. Im not even gonna use it right now, probably will after i get down to 10%. Started at 22% fat, down to 18% since the 2nd week of january, eating anywhere from 3100 to 3200 calories, no cardio yet, just seeing how it goes on the calories before i start the cardio, well actually when the weight loss slows.

cyounger100 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebailey1271 View Post
    Jp, you can try the palumbo, but as i discovered unless you are taking chemicals i feel like you loose muscle. Also when you eat more protein than fat your body turns the protein into glucose defeating the purpose of a keto diet. The whole purpose of doing a keto diet is to make your body use fats as fuel instead of glucose. It will take 2 to 3 weeks for that to happen. Go to http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet...ic-diet-guide/ for more info. On the palumbo diet I was cutting fat, but also loosing strenght which made me realize i was probably loosing muscle. Also the palumbo diet was basically a low cal low carb diet. I cant live on a measly 2200 calories a day, I have a mans job working in the oil field. So i need my calories to stay strong. You can try both, I know, i bought all that protein powder too, have a box full of it. Im not even gonna use it right now, probably will after i get down to 10%. Started at 22% fat, down to 18% since the 2nd week of january, eating anywhere from 3100 to 3200 calories, no cardio yet, just seeing how it goes on the calories before i start the cardio, well actually when the weight loss slows.
    i understand your trying too help but this thread is called ask gbrice anything and the reason why we are asking him and not you is that we know that he knows his shit so maybe start your own thread ask joebailey anything instead of cluttering gbrices up

^^^lol x2

Quote Originally Posted by Razr. View Post
    405 your beasting bro
    Thx man now GB where r u dude? LOL.. We need ur assistance

Quote Originally Posted by cyounger100 View Post
    gbrice quick question im on a cutting diet and consume 2600 calories a day got everything in order was wondering how much sodium should i intake a day while cutting im trying too keep it under 1000 mgs a day but its tough ?
    Honestly, unless you plan to step on stage, or are about to go on vacation and want to look really dry and cut, I wouldn't put much thought into it at all. Also, unless your bodyfat is very low ( <10%), I doubt you'd notice much of a difference in appearance anyway. You'd probably feel a little bloated at most if intake was relatively high.

bubsy is offline Junior Member
    hi i put together a new diet wanted to ask u if u think its good!

i wake up pretty early

3:30am= 1 cup oats
    ON 2 spoons
    cinnamon

5:30 am= 1 1/2 cups whole meal pasta
    10 egg whites

7:30am= 2 low gi high protien mini loaves (found recipe on internet)
    1 cup oats
    2x pumkin seed crackers with 2 spoons natural peanut butter

bsn no xplode 5grams and 1 scoop jack 3d
    train
    10:00 after training
    2spoon ON whey
    1 cup rice with tuna

12:00 2x skinless breast chicken 170-200g
    brocolli
    1 cup 1% milk
    whole meal rice

14:00 2x burger patties low fat no sodium
    1/2 cup greek yoghurt
    1 1/2 cups 1% milk

16:00 2x chicken breast 170-200g each
    1/2 cup whole meal rice

18:00 cassien 2 spoons

bed somewhere after this!

Is this diet okay?
    I eat in between bananas and more mini loaves and apples!
    I got Gaspari's amino max where in the diet would u suggest i put them!

idk bro. I've googled and googled and also checked out some other threads. i think I've grasped the diet good enough to try it.

I've got everything dialed in between 46-69g pro a meal, 23g fat meal. 228-344g pro, 115g fat daily.

for starters, I'm just gonna stick to his exact sample meals obvi with minor adj b/c weight difference. but i will be sure to come back to the thread when i have questions.

now, in order to get into ketosis and stay, are you allowed sups pre and post or do away with them? also will chewing gum while at work stop or hinder the keto state?
    With your macros in check, you don't have to stick to his specific meals; an old member here followed his own diet and had great results.

Ketosis - what supps? As for chewing gum - see, that's one reason I hated keto dieting!! Too many little things to remember, like gum. Sugarfree gum usually contains sugar alcohols, which to my knowledge is enough to knock one out of ketosis if enough is consumed - which varies per individual of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Razr. View Post
    GB, if I wanted to go from 192 at 12% to 200 @10%.
    what would my diet look like
    Currently I am in the slingshot training meathod by Ronnie
    I am in a two week deload low weight high reps.
    My caloric intake is low because my weights are low.
    When I go back to reload in another week
    I am going to have to increase caloric intake by 1500 I presume to gain muscle
    But I need to cut fat at the same time. I am taking GH as well 4.5iu a day. NO gear yet.
    Should help me eat a lot without gaining fat, but I still need to watch my diet.
    What should I do?
    Personally I'd focus on one or the other... I'd reduce bodyfat further and then change up the diet to gear it more towards adding lean mass. Yes a recomp is doable, but it's not efficient for everybody, me being one of them. I spent the better part of 2 years trying to drop fat and add muscle at the same time with less than desirable results. When I focuses on cutting alone, I managed to get to roughly ~9% in 3 months with no obvious loss in LBM, and an increase on most lifts. I wish I had done it a lot sooner.

i was thinking:

thx man

405, this is too much to address while I'm on my iPhone; I'll get back with u when I can get to the PC - might be a few days though.

Quote Originally Posted by cyounger100 View Post
    i understand your trying too help but this thread is called ask gbrice anything and the reason why we are asking him and not you is that we know that he knows his shit so maybe start your own thread ask joebailey anything instead of cluttering gbrices up

Quote Originally Posted by bubsy View Post
    hi i put together a new diet wanted to ask u if u think its good!

i wake up pretty early

3:30am= 1 cup oats
    ON 2 spoons
    cinnamon

5:30 am= 1 1/2 cups whole meal pasta
    10 egg whites

7:30am= 2 low gi high protien mini loaves (found recipe on internet)
    1 cup oats
    2x pumkin seed crackers with 2 spoons natural peanut butter

bsn no xplode 5grams and 1 scoop jack 3d
    train
    10:00 after training
    2spoon ON whey
    1 cup rice with tuna

12:00 2x skinless breast chicken 170-200g
    brocolli
    1 cup 1% milk
    whole meal rice

14:00 2x burger patties low fat no sodium
    1/2 cup greek yoghurt
    1 1/2 cups 1% milk

16:00 2x chicken breast 170-200g each
    1/2 cup whole meal rice

18:00 cassien 2 spoons

bed somewhere after this!

Is this diet okay?
    I eat in between bananas and more mini loaves and apples!
    I got Gaspari's amino max where in the diet would u suggest i put them!
    Bro, please do me a favor - start a new thread, copy this post in it, then edit this post to link me to your new thread. I don't want this thread to get cluttered with personal consultation on people's diets. Thanks man, I'd appreciate it.

RugbyKid is offline New Member
    Still fairly new to the whole lifting thing. I've read through a lot of the threads and know that diet is the biggest key to gaining size. I'm still in high school and just looking for all the help I can get. Figured this would be the place for some good advice on what I should be mainly eating to bulk

Quote Originally Posted by RugbyKid View Post
    Still fairly new to the whole lifting thing. I've read through a lot of the threads and know that diet is the biggest key to gaining size. I'm still in high school and just looking for all the help I can get. Figured this would be the place for some good advice on what I should be mainly eating to bulk
    Welcome to the board. The short answer to your question - more calories than you burn. Read the post that I opened this thread with and you'll understand why my answer isn't detailed. There is a TON of info in this section to answer your question, I don't think it needs to be addressed here.

Try the search function, read the sticky's, and check out members logs to get a feel for how they're eating.

Ok thanks bro. Yea I noticed the sugar free gum I chew does contain sugar alcohol. My supps that I wod use are evp and cell kem by evogen. I also I bought the wrong protein the other nite. I didn't notice that muscle techs whether contains 9g of carbs per serving. While every1 else contain between 2-3g. So ill return n get a different brand. But I think I'm just gonna wing it. Meaning no plaumbo or exact keto. But will try a high fat high protein diet to switch to using fat as fuel instead of carbs. Same prinicple just winging it lol. Thanks agn bro.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I ask this in my log, but thought I would ask it here too.

This morning I got to thinking about this cut I'll start in 3 weeks from Monday. I'm curious....could a person carb cycle an "IF" diet? Would there be any reason not to?

Ok thanks bro. Yea I noticed the sugar free gum I chew does contain sugar alcohol. My supps that I wod use are evp and cell kem by evogen. I also I bought the wrong protein the other nite. I didn't notice that muscle techs whether contains 9g of carbs per serving. While every1 else contain between 2-3g. So ill return n get a different brand. But I think I'm just gonna wing it. Meaning no plaumbo or exact keto. But will try a high fat high protein diet to switch to using fat as fuel instead of carbs. Same prinicple just winging it lol. Thanks agn bro.
    Np bro, good luck and keep me posted.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    I ask this in my log, but thought I would ask it here too.

This morning I got to thinking about this cut I'll start in 3 weeks from Monday. I'm curious....could a person carb cycle an "IF" diet? Would there be any reason not to?
    Very interesting!! I haven't thought about it before, but they could work very together. The way they work is similar, albeit different timings, but synergistically they might be potent. As long as you're hitting your macros, you should be ok. My only initial concern would be the high carb day/days - you'll be cramming an extraordinary amount of carbs in a really short time which could lead to fat gain and be completely counter productive.

If you write up a proposed plan and want me to look it over, lemme know.

the eating on the high carb days would be fantastic LOL .. 8 hrs and 250g carbs and 300g protein LOL for a guy thats been cutting for 5 months thats my kinda diet!

Np bro, good luck and keep me posted.

Very interesting!! I haven't thought about it before, but they could work very together. The way they work is similar, albeit different timings, but synergistically they might be potent. As long as you're hitting your macros, you should be ok. My only initial concern would be the high carb day/days - you'll be cramming an extraordinary amount of carbs in a really short time which could lead to fat gain and be completely counter productive.

If you write up a proposed plan and want me to look it over, lemme know.
    I'll try to work a bit on it this weekend. I'm running IF now and already taking in 300g of carbs and a total of 3000+calories on lift days and haven't notice any fat gain. Actually I'm running less carbs and less calories on non lift days, so I guess in a sense this is what I'm already doing. Just gotta adjust it a bit.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of IF, and I know the basics of Carb Cycling, but I need to learn a bit more. I'll do some research this weekend and put something together and see what you think.

Any good links on here that somebody can post regarding carb cycling?

I'll try to work a bit on it this weekend. I'm running IF now and already taking in 300g of carbs and a total of 3000+calories on lift days and haven't notice any fat gain. Actually I'm running less carbs and less calories on non lift days, so I guess in a sense this is what I'm already doing. Just gotta adjust it a bit.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of IF, and I know the basics of Carb Cycling, but I need to learn a bit more. I'll do some research this weekend and put something together and see what you think.

Any good links on here that somebody can post regarding carb cycling?

if u find any slf let me know man im startn one hopefully monday (carb cycle)

I carb cycled 3 moderate days, 3 zero carb days (fibrous veggies only), and 1 high carb day. My moderate days had workouts geared towards growth/maintaining, while my zero carb days were all depletion oriented. My high carb day was my rest/off day.

There are many ways to carb cycle, but I see too many people setting up schedules with no rhyme or reason, like - GB, what do you think of:

Monday - High
    Tues - Mod
    Wed - Low
    Thurs - High
    Fri - Low.... etc etc etc

when I ask why it's set up that way, they don't even know, nor do the workouts make sense with the set up.

I carb cycled 3 moderate days, 3 zero carb days (fibrous veggies only), and 1 high carb day. My moderate days had workouts geared towards growth/maintaining, while my zero carb days were all depletion oriented. My high carb day was my rest/off day.

There are many ways to carb cycle, but I see too many people setting up schedules with no rhyme or reason, like - GB, what do you think of:

Monday - High
    Tues - Mod
    Wed - Low
    Thurs - High

when I ask why it's set up that way, they don't even know, nor do the workouts make sense with the set up.
    I'll keep that in mind...I don't want to be shunned by the diet guru!!!

So In your opinion, what should the macro split look like on Low, medium, and high carb days? And should your total calories stay the same each day, just adjusting the macros?

RugbyKid is offline New Member
    What are your thoughts on carb type PWO? I've seen guys say simple rather than complex so they digest faster. Any suggestions???

What are your thoughts on carb type PWO? I've seen guys say simple rather than complex so they digest faster. Any suggestions???
    Complex. I don't know of any guys on here that still use simple carbs PWO unless they're bulking...even then most still prefer complex.

Monday - High
    Tues - Mod
    Wed - Low
    Thurs - High

i hope that wasnt directed at me

with mine ive kept the same amt of weekly carbs (700g) with the exception of maybe eating a few more veggies on zero carb days.. and figd since weekly carbs were the same i could do 2 days at 200g and 3 days at 100g and 2 days at 0g(except veggie carbs and maybe cottage cheese) still waitin on that.. focus high carb days on 2 heaviest lift days (legs and chest).. so i do have a reason for what i picked

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So did we get the weekly carb break down yet?? Let me know slf made

Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    So did we get the weekly carb break down yet?? Let me know slf made
    Nothing yet. I'm waiting for GB to come back.

I'll keep that in mind...I don't want to be shunned by the diet guru!!!

So In your opinion, what should the macro split look like on Low, medium, and high carb days? And should your total calories stay the same each day, just adjusting the macros?
    On a strict cut, I stick with all complex. Otherwise the only simple carbs I add are a bit of fruit. I still have complex along with it however.

i hope that wasnt directed at me

with mine ive kept the same amt of weekly carbs (700g) with the exception of maybe eating a few more veggies on zero carb days.. and figd since weekly carbs were the same i could do 2 days at 200g and 3 days at 100g and 2 days at 0g(except veggie carbs and maybe cottage cheese) still waitin on that.. focus high carb days on 2 heaviest lift days (legs and chest).. so i do have a reason for what i picked
    Not at all bro. If my example bore any resemblance to your carb cycle, it was sheer coincidence. The example of days/carbs was arbitrary, was more about getting that point across.

GB, you quoted my question, but forgot to answer. LOL

Thread Information