Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    GB another thing i read about carb cycling is its important to eat a small piece of fruit With 4 meals on high carb day and with 3 meals on moderate carb day for the following reason:

Also, each one of those meals must include a small piece of fruit (again, a requirement before downing enough other carbs to the point of no return). Almost any fruit will do (save bananas, kiwis, avocado, and other very high calorie or high fat fruits). We are looking for a small serving of fresh fruit, say between 50 and 100 calories worth. The fructose from fruit will help keep liver glycogen stores full and keep your body in the fed state as opposed to starvation-mode. And, if only consumed in small amounts, is not likely to spill over into adipose.

What r ur thoughts? Thx

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    GB another thing i read about carb cycling is its important to eat a small piece of fruit With 4 meals on high carb day and with 3 meals on moderate carb day for the following reason:

Also, each one of those meals must include a small piece of fruit (again, a requirement before downing enough other carbs to the point of no return). Almost any fruit will do (save bananas, kiwis, avocado, and other very high calorie or high fat fruits). We are looking for a small serving of fresh fruit, say between 50 and 100 calories worth. The fructose from fruit will help keep liver glycogen stores full and keep your body in the fed state as opposed to starvation-mode. And, if only consumed in small amounts, is not likely to spill over into adipose.

What r ur thoughts? Thx
    a) More and more, it sounds like this is a specific carb cycling plan vs. general info re: carb cycling.

b) I wouldn't put much creedence into it. Why would we go into 'starvation mode'? We're not starving ourselves at all, we're eating plenty, just not carbs. Carbs are non-essential to life, so how are we starving ourselves? And keeping liver glycogen stores full is the deciding factor on whether or not we go into starvation mode? That's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Throw that article out!!!

^^ thx bro.. will do.. ill leave out the advice to eat as many carbs as u want to "feel" satisfied physically, emotionally, and psychologically..

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    ok this may seem really dumb. But you cook all your food for the week at once. I know you said fish and chicken too.
    How long will that last in the fridge with out going bad? I only do a couple days at a time and its a pain in the ass. But only go by what my mom told me when i was younger that i have to eat that or throw it out cause it will be bad. lol thanks mom
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

johnyz333 is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE="gbrice75"]

Thanks man, appreciate that! I'll look for your thread bro and see if I can offer any input.

Sorry J, haven't really be on in a few days. Will look for it now.

thanks man, Look forward to your input.

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    got a instant messanger i cant talk to u on or something ?

GB wat do u think about bell peppers and onions mixed with lean ground beef? The bag has 4 servings which totals 100cals, 20g carbs, 12g sugar... 2 main questions:

1. R they "veggie" carbs which im under the impression dont really count as much or other carbs?

2. Can i eat this on zero carb day?

3. Should i eat them at all?

4. Would u explain the extent to which i should count my "veggie" carbs??

More q's than i intended.. Im just an inquisitive kinda guy

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1;5925***
    ok this may seem really dumb. But you cook all your food for the week at once. I know you said fish and chicken too.
    How long will that last in the fridge with out going bad? I only do a couple days at a time and its a pain in the ass. But only go by what my mom told me when i was younger that i have to eat that or throw it out cause it will be bad. lol thanks mom
    Lmao, no problem sonny boy!! Yea, I cook all my stuff on Sunday, and it lasts me until Sunday. For the most part, as long as everything is handled, cooked, and stored properly, it should keep for a week. Now, this isn't what i'd PREFER; i.e. i'd love fresh food every single day, but I would never be able to keep up with all the cooking. I have yet to get sick in years of doing this... but like I learned in cooking school... "when in doubt, throw it out!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ishallnocheatmyself View Post
    got a instant messanger i cant talk to u on or something ?
    lol nah man, my IM'ing days are long over. Something personal you don't want to post here?

GB wat do u think about bell peppers and onions mixed with lean ground beef? The bag has 4 servings which totals 100cals, 20g carbs, 12g sugar... 2 main questions:

1. R they "veggie" carbs which im under the impression dont really count as much or other carbs?
    All carbs count. When we're talking about green fibrous veggies (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, etc), they are relatively low calorie and high fiber. Onions and bell peppers do not fall into this catagory. Onions are actually one of the highest sugar content veggies out there. However, I would still say to mix them in and don't worry - just don't go nuts, like a whole bag for a single serving or something like that.

2. Can i eat this on zero carb day?
    Yes. But try to stick with better veggies sources IMO. All the green stuff.

3. Should i eat them at all?
    Go for it

4. Would u explain the extent to which i should count my "veggie" carbs??
    If you're eating just a bit, I wouldn't even bother counting it. If you're eating a lot of veggies, get an idea of the caloric/carb content so you know you're not way over (or under) your goal.

More q's than i intended.. Im just an inquisitive kinda guy
    Yes, you are. But so am I!

How bout a whole bag in 2 servings? LOL?? If i cant do that then screw it i just wont eat them at all..

Basically itd be 50cals, 10g carb, 6g sugar mixed with 8oz ground beef..?? Id have this twice per day on moderate and high carb days only..

Id also have 255g broccoli as well with both meals..

^ id also like to note im supposed to be eating 150g carbs per day on moderate days.. With this addition i hit 164g .. Of which only 80g carbs come from oats and sweet potatoes.. The rest (84g) comes from veggies.. What do u think about this? Is this enuff oats and sweet potatoes? I guess im trying to figure out if 164g carbs half from veggies is the same as 164g carbs all from oats? I think not and am havn kinda tuff time balancing this in my head?

I dont wanna undereat and short change myself on oats but dont wanna over eat either??

How bout a whole bag in 2 servings? LOL?? If i cant do that then screw it i just wont eat them at all..

Basically itd be 50cals, 10g carb, 6g sugar mixed with 8oz ground beef..?? Id have this twice per day on moderate and high carb days only..
    Id also have 255g broccoli as well with both meals..
    In that case, have at it.

^ id also like to note im supposed to be eating 150g carbs per day on moderate days.. With this addition i hit 164g .. Of which only 80g carbs come from oats and sweet potatoes.. The rest (84g) comes from veggies.. What do u think about this? Is this enuff oats and sweet potatoes? I guess im trying to figure out if 164g carbs half from veggies is the same as 164g carbs all from oats? I think not and am havn kinda tuff time balancing this in my head?
    On my carb days i'd want to hit my macro with starchy carbs. Even if you go over a bit by adding veggies, don't sweat it - but try to hit your macro with oats, sweet potato, etc, not veggies.

I dont wanna undereat and short change myself on oats but dont wanna over eat either??
    If you're hitting your macro, then you're not under or overeating, simple. As for veggies, like I said before, it would take an extraordinary amount of them to put you in any kind of caloric overage 'jeopardy'.

Ok cool kinda wat i thought.. Just wanted to be sure.. So i need to increase oats and sweet potatoes to equal 150g carbs and then have veggies on top rite? Rite.. that sounds nice

Basically meal 1: 50g carb (1C oats)
    Preworkout: 50g carb (sweet pot)
    PWO: 50g carb (1C oats)

Veggies where i want to include them in addition

And same applies to high carb day rite? 250-300g from oats and sweet pot... plus veggies

Ok cool kinda wat i thought.. Just wanted to be sure.. So i need to increase oats and sweet potatoes to equal 150g carbs and then have veggies on top rite? Rite.. that sounds nice

Basically meal 1: 50g carb (1C oats)
    Preworkout: 50g carb (sweet pot)
    PWO: 50g carb (1C oats)

Veggies where i want to include them in addition
    If you want to.. but you don't have to

And same applies to high carb day rite? 250-300g from oats and sweet pot... plus veggies
    Definitely on high carb day.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75;5926***
    In that case, have at it.

On my carb days i'd want to hit my macro with starchy carbs. Even if you go over a bit by adding veggies, don't sweat it - but try to hit your macro with oats, sweet potato, etc, not veggies.

If you're hitting your macro, then you're not under or overeating, simple. As for veggies, like I said before, it would take an extraordinary amount of them to put you in any kind of caloric overage 'jeopardy'.
    Im getting a little confused.. Should i eat 150g carbs from starchy carbs and add veggies? Or not? u say i dont "have to".. Thats fine.. What should i do? My carb macro on moderate days is 150g.. just wanna get this rite..

^^ I'm saying hit your macros with starchy carbs. You don't HAVE to eat veggies (therefore going over your macro. OR undereating starchy and getting up to your macro with the addition of veggies).

Eat 150g of starchy carbs. If you want to add veggies on top of that, go ahead - but don't eat 200g of carbs worth. If you can do that though, my hat goes off to you!

Im currently eatn about 70g worth of veggie carbs.. Thatll put my carb count to 220g with the 150g starch.. Ur sayin tats ok? Im a pain i knoW went and bought an 8oz sweet potato at lunch so that should put me closer today..
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 03-06-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Im currently eatn about 70g worth of veggie carbs.. Thatll put my carb count to 220g with the 150g starch.. Ur sayin tats ok? Im a pain i know
    But the question is how much of that 70g is fiber? Are you eating 70g after the fiber has been accounted for? i.e. it was 150g, but minus fiber is 70g? If not, chances are you're eating ~30g.

According to my fitday 30g fiber is how much im eatn yes ur rite.. U know ur a purty smart feller there GB

^^

On another note, I can use input/advice from you guys on a problem of my own: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...14#post5927014

Hey GB I don't want to be a pain, but anychance you could look at my thread soon? Apologies in advance, just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

^^ done!

ANIMAL is offline Associate Member
    I'm trying to perfect the carb cycling we were discussing. Did you find it better to be OFF on your HIGH day or should you be lifting on your HIGH day? And did you lift on any your low/no days?

Not sure if I would benefit more from having 2 LOW days (2 off days) 4 MOD and 1 HIGH or having 3 low days (lifting on one of those low days) 3 MOD and 1 HIGH or if I should just have 3 off days like mentioned where I just do cardio no lifting and do a 4 day split of lifting.

I know I'm only going to find out by trial and error, just seeing what you have experienced has worked best for you.
    Last edited by ANIMAL; 03-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b23 View Post
    I'm trying to perfect the carb cycling we were discussing. Did you find it better to be OFF on your HIGH day or should you be lifting on your HIGH day?
    Off on the high day. The point of the high day is to try and completely replenish glycogen stores. If I were to workout on my high day, that wouldn't be possible.

And did you lift on any your low/no days?
    Yep. My 'low' days were moderate and that's when I did my big lifts - legs, etc. However I also lifted on my 'no' days as the goal was to completely deplete glycogen stores.

Not sure if I would benefit more from having 2 LOW days (2 off days) 4 MOD and 1 HIGH or having 3 low days (lifting on one of those low days) 3 MOD and 1 HIGH or if I should just have 3 off days like mentioned where I just do cardio no lifting and do a 4 day split of lifting.

I know I'm only going to find out by trial and error, just seeing what you have experienced has worked best for you.
    Well, I've only done 3/3/1, so that's all I can attest to. However, with reducing bodyfat being the goal, you want to deplete glycogen and force your body to utilize bodyfat for fuel. You may not be able to accomplish that with full efficiency in 2 days. That 3rd low day will ensure you do. Also, with only 2 off days, a high day may wind up being overkill, depending on how high it actually is.

ok GB question.. say i have 80g carbs to play with pre w/o and pwo combined.. would i benefit more from getting 60g carbs pre and 30g carbs pwo or the other way around or does it matter? and this is from a cutting perspective..

my thinking is having more pwo cuz this way i mite tap into either fat or glycogen during pwo cardio and then have the bulk of the carbs for recovery which may help some muscle growth..

or maybe i just have way too much time on my hands! LOL

id also like to note energy has never been a prob for me during workout and the main reason im prompted to ask this question now is cuz ill be doing some pwo cardio now whereas in the past all my cardio was am fasted..

also u think i should get that book by lyle mcdonald - getting rid of the last bit of stubborn fat (or whatever its called)
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 03-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.

^^ I think you're overthinking it... again!

I'd personally keep it simple - 40g pre, 40g post - done.

I recommend anything by Lyle McDonald - I love all of his stuff!

Funny ... I suppose ur rite

Getn that book.. The 4 protocol thing about fat mobilization, blood flow to stubborn areas, etc etc sound like this dude knows his stuff!!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Posted this in 405's thread but if u want any of the lyle books for free GB PM me...
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Hey GB, can you explain your post earlier about 3/3/1; carb days? I don't quite understand the principle and it's benefits over sticking to the same macros on your diet day in day out.

ok GB ive read lyle mcdonalds ultimate diet 2.0 and stubborn fat solution and am thinking of giving them both a go simultaneously with hopes of accelerating my fatloss by switching up not only my diet but also my entire workout routine to exactly what he suggests.. as u probably imagine i have some questions LOL..

1. the first of which is do u think this would be a good idea?

2. i have 6 weeks before my cruise and my results r pretty slow.. im thinking of running next week (mon - sun) at maintenance (2800cals at 40/40/20) to replenish all that this 6 month cut has done (and id like to note 1 week prob isnt enuff time to do it completely but thats gonna have to be good enuff ) and then the following week start UD2.0 + SFP2.0 protocol (twice per week up to maybe 3x per week) and run this for the last 5 weeks leading up to my cruise in hopes of jumpstarting some decent losses..

3. what do u think about what he says about running 50% maintenance 4 days then carb loading at 7-8g carbs per lb bodyweight? puts me @ 1200-1300g carbs.. with the idea of manipulating nutrient partitioning due to previous days' diet + workout protocol?

i know this is a lot of questions and im prob not dun but this should get me started LOL...

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    I have a question regarding grilling ground meat. Approximately how much fat and calorie content is removed from grilling 93% lean ground beef or ground turkey? There is approximately 16 grams of fat in 8oz of 93% lean ground beef. This comes out to about 144 calories of fat. I haven't had much time to review this thread so I apologize if this question has already been answered.

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg_28 View Post
    I have a question regarding grilling ground meat. Approximately how much fat and calorie content is removed from grilling 93% lean ground beef or ground turkey? There is approximately 16 grams of fat in 8oz of 93% lean ground beef. This comes out to about 144 calories of fat. I haven't had much time to review this thread so I apologize if this question has already been answered.
    I found this with the google.

"A study in the Journal of The American Dietetic Association showed that a simple rinsing process reduced the fat content (hence, the calories) of cooked regular ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent with minimal flavor loss. They cooked the beef, drained the fat, removed the crumbles to plate lined with paper towels, let it sit 1 minute, and then blotted the top with more paper towels. Less effective, but also good, is to blot the beef without rinsing or to buy a leaner ground beef."

Bump For #711

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Im considering eating a whole box of nerds during my workout for some extra carbs/energy. Along with my Bcaas and such of course.

Thoughts?

bump.. #711

give it one more shot since its monday am.. bump #711

Twin is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I feel your pain on the long arms thing. Have you seen any of my pics, particularly my rear double bi? I have really long arms too, in fact I was just talking with 405 about how I discovered why his arms look so much better than mine... and if you look side by side you'll see the difference in length. Anyway, i'm digressing.

For arms, i'd stick with minimal curl/isolation exercises (both bi and tri) and focus on the heavier compound lifts which I do see in your plan for the most part - close grip bench, dips, chins, underhand grip lat pulldown, etc.

As for your routine, it looks fine to me for what it is, pretty standard really. What's up with leg day though? I'd drop one of the pvssy exercises and add a squat exercise for sure. I'd also add deadlifts to either your back or leg day. I see that you have rack pulls on back day, and I was hoping that was because you had some type of deads (SLDL) on leg day, but that's not the case. I'd ditch the rack pulls personally and get a deadlift in. Or, do deads on back day and drop the leg curl on leg day... deads don't technically fall on back OR leg day IMO.
    sorry for the late reply. that routine didnt go to well so i stopped it lol. Im currently on layne nortons program .its a hypertropgy/strength program.

im sure u heard of it before. just started on monday. so far, not that bad. just long as hell... but it aint that bad....

also bro, is butter ok to have? i been having butter on whole wheat bread with my eggs for breakfast... i looked at the butter ingredients and it has saturated fat / unsaturated mono/poly fat etc. and 0 trans fat, so seems ok. but thought id ask u.

and i cant do squats because of my flexibility issues but i just started to do try to get more flexible this week. hopefully i can be able to squat soon but my flexibility is horrid... especailly with my long legs.. i have legs of somone 6 foot 3. but i am only 5 foot 9
    Last edited by Twin; 03-21-2012 at 03:55 AM.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    hi gb, i am rather new to this forum, but have become a huge fan of your thread. currently reading page 2 of 18!! a ton of good info and i am taking my time to read slowly and understand everything.

just curious, what do you do for a living? dietician? nutritionist? physiology lecturer?

Sorry for the delayed replies guys, I am around less and less these days, and unfortunately may be taking a hiatus from the board all together. I have started my 12 week cut but haven't started the new thread simply because I don't want to start something I can't stay on top of and keep updated regularly. On to your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by johnyz333 View Post
    Hey GB, can you explain your post earlier about 3/3/1; carb days? I don't quite understand the principle and it's benefits over sticking to the same macros on your diet day in day out.
    By 3/3/1, I simply meant 3 days of moderate carb intake, 3 days of low carb intake, and 1 day of high carb intake (refeed). A traditional diet with the same macros day in and day out is ok, but I have a few issues with that approach. First, it gets boring, really fast. Same crap, day in and day out. Secondly, you have yourself in a constant state of caloric deficit (assuming you are cutting) which, over time, can lead to a slowed metabolism, obviously counter-productive even though you may have burned bodyfat in the process. Finally, and this ties in with number 2 somewhat - you aren't doing anything to keep your body changing. Our bodies have an amazing ability to adapt, and over time, will adapt to the same level of calories. e.g. if you're TDEE is 2500 calories and you constantly eat 2200 calories for X amount of time, you can potentially wind up lowering your TDEE to 2200 - meaning you require fewer calories to meet your daily caloric needs. Hopefully you can see why this might be counter-productive.

A carb/calorie cycling approach fixes these issues. Number 1, you aren't in a constant state of deficit, or at least not the same deficit. Generally, you go through a period of glycogen depletion/fat burning (the low days), a period of maintaining (the moderate days), and finally a refeed day, where glycogen stores are replenished, and muscles get some much needed repair. If calories are high enough on this day, you can even see some growth, at least in theory.

Hope this answers your questions.

ok GB ive read lyle mcdonalds ultimate diet 2.0 and stubborn fat solution and am thinking of giving them both a go simultaneously with hopes of accelerating my fatloss by switching up not only my diet but also my entire workout routine to exactly what he suggests.. as u probably imagine i have some questions LOL..

1. the first of which is do u think this would be a good idea?
    Hard to answer because I haven't read the Ultimate Diet 2.0 book. I know that at this point it's somewhat outdated however. However, being familiar with a lot of Lyle's principles and writings, I'm certain following the diet won't do you harm. Combining the 2 may be a great approach, but we'd need to see a specific plan to make sure it isn't haphazard and/or counter-productive.

2. i have 6 weeks before my cruise and my results r pretty slow.. im thinking of running next week (mon - sun) at maintenance (2800cals at 40/40/20) to replenish all that this 6 month cut has done (and id like to note 1 week prob isnt enuff time to do it completely but thats gonna have to be good enuff ) and then the following week start UD2.0 + SFP2.0 protocol (twice per week up to maybe 3x per week) and run this for the last 5 weeks leading up to my cruise in hopes of jumpstarting some decent losses..
    I'm assuming you've started this already considering it's been a week since you posted this. If so, how's it going?

3. what do u think about what he says about running 50% maintenance 4 days then carb loading at 7-8g carbs per lb bodyweight? puts me @ 1200-1300g carbs.. with the idea of manipulating nutrient partitioning due to previous days' diet + workout protocol?

i know this is a lot of questions and im prob not dun but this should get me started LOL...
    Depends on how you do with carbs IMO. I know i'd be in trouble with carbs that high, no matter how low the previous 4 days were.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg_28 View Post
    Not really sure about this. I know some fat is lost in the process, however it would be impossible to determine exactly how much. Personally, I count all the fat of the raw product towards the total. In my head I know it's less, but at least I know i'm not overeating fat. Then when I take a few extra fish oil caps (i'd rather have that fat than the saturated fats from the meat), I don't feel so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    Im considering eating a whole box of nerds during my workout for some extra carbs/energy. Along with my Bcaas and such of course.

Thoughts?

I think this is a great idea! You should give it a shot... and let me know how you do. Actually, knowing you, you'd probably be fine because you're an insulin disposal machine. Fvck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Twin View Post
    sorry for the late reply. that routine didnt go to well so i stopped it lol. Im currently on layne nortons program .its a hypertropgy/strength program.

im sure u heard of it before. just started on monday. so far, not that bad. just long as hell... but it aint that bad....
    I've done more than heard of it, I've run it. Loved it. Actually ran it in conjunction with an IF diet. Strength gains went up every week in nearly every lift. Good stuff.

also bro, is butter ok to have? i been having butter on whole wheat bread with my eggs for breakfast... i looked at the butter ingredients and it has saturated fat / unsaturated mono/poly fat etc. and 0 trans fat, so seems ok. but thought id ask u.
    Too much saturated for me. That fat can be coming from better sources, i.e. EFA's like fish oil.

and i cant do squats because of my flexibility issues but i just started to do try to get more flexible this week. hopefully i can be able to squat soon but my flexibility is horrid... especailly with my long legs.. i have legs of somone 6 foot 3. but i am only 5 foot 9
    Yep, tall guys generally have issues with squatting. Stick to leg presses if you have to. How about lunges?

Quote Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
    hi gb, i am rather new to this forum, but have become a huge fan of your thread. currently reading page 2 of 18!! a ton of good info and i am taking my time to read slowly and understand everything.

just curious, what do you do for a living? dietician? nutritionist? physiology lecturer?
    Thanks man, glad you're a fan!

None of the above, unfortunately. I'm a telecom project manager... and I hate it! If I were doing any of the above, I might actually enjoy waking up in the morning and going to work!

Thread Information