Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Hard to answer because I haven't read the Ultimate Diet 2.0 book. I know that at this point it's somewhat outdated however. However, being familiar with a lot of Lyle's principles and writings, I'm certain following the diet won't do you harm. Combining the 2 may be a great approach, but we'd need to see a specific plan to make sure it isn't haphazard and/or counter-productive.

will have it in my thread before the day is dun ill post in this one when i get it dun if u could drop by and take a look id appreciate it glad to see u btw.. sorry to hear of ur hiatus.. ive been logging here for 6 months and it seems most of the people that were here when i started are not here now ..

also how do u reply with specific quotes and leave other parts of peoples' posts out?? everytime i try it quotes the entire message they typed..

also GB u say its outdated by now.. has he written anything lately that supersedes the diet??

ok its posted in my thread.. chek it out ..

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    also how do u reply with specific quotes and leave other parts of peoples' posts out?? everytime i try it quotes the entire message they typed..[/B]
    Just delete the part you don't want. Just make sure to keep the html before and after the comment there.

Good to see you back on here Gbrice. I was wondering what had happened to you. The nutrition forum has been growing weaker in knowledge and stronger in stupidity since you left. LOL

405 is doing a good job in your absence as he has a little more patience than I do.

Will you be stopping by every once in while during this "hiatus"....or is it a full blown "not gonna log on hiatus"?

the html?

the html?
    That's what you see before and after the quote: For Example [/QUOTE=--->>405<<---;5946879]the html?[/QUOTE] you could still do a quote but delete the "the" in your sentence. So do [.QUOTE=--->>405<<---;5946879]html?[/QUOTE]and it would come out like this
    html?
    Or
    Slfmade is probably the the most handsome guy on here, and I dream of him often.
    LMAO!!!
    Last edited by slfmade; 03-21-2012 at 03:51 PM.

u fcuking lost the hell out of me dude! LOL

ill post in this one when i get it dun if u could drop by and take a look id appreciate it glad to see u btw.. sorry to hear of ur hiatus.. ive been logging here for 6 months and it seems most of the people that were here when i started are not here now ..

[/B]
    like this maybe?

LOL - I guess I give up then. I edited it maybe you'll get it now! LOL

but how do u add multiple quotes in a single reply?

now thats funny

but how do u add multiple quotes in a single reply?
    See the quote button to the right of the "reply with quote". Click on that for any posts that you want to quote and for the last one...Hit reply with quote.

its the multiple quotes i dont understand

Get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    See the quote button to the right of the "reply with quote". Click on that for any posts that you want to quote and for the last one...Hit reply with quote.
    oh ok.. i think i tried that button before and it didnt work..

its the multiple quotes i dont understand
    now i get it !

ill be interested to see gb's response to this "lesson" in his thread LOL..

FINALLY!!!! LOL - Well, I least we did a good job keeping GB's long bumped to the top!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Hard to answer because I haven't read the Ultimate Diet 2.0 book. I know that at this point it's somewhat outdated however. However, being familiar with a lot of Lyle's principles and writings, I'm certain following the diet won't do you harm. Combining the 2 may be a great approach, but we'd need to see a specific plan to make sure it isn't haphazard and/or counter-productive.

will have it in my thread before the day is dun ill post in this one when i get it dun if u could drop by and take a look id appreciate it glad to see u btw.. sorry to hear of ur hiatus.. ive been logging here for 6 months and it seems most of the people that were here when i started are not here now ..

also how do u reply with specific quotes and leave other parts of peoples' posts out?? everytime i try it quotes the entire message they typed..
    Looks like Slfmade already took care of you! Someday you'll figure out how I multi-quote a single post!

also GB u say its outdated by now.. has he written anything lately that supersedes the diet??
    Nothing that i'm aware of other than his articles, however I recall references (can't remember where atm) to certain flaws in Lyle's UD2.0 that he's acknowledged.

ok its posted in my thread.. chek it out ..
    I'll have a look asap!

Good to see you back on here Gbrice. I was wondering what had happened to you. The nutrition forum has been growing weaker in knowledge and stronger in stupidity since you left. LOL
    Ugh!! We gotta try and keep this place the best nutrition forum on the web, which I do believe it is!

405 is doing a good job in your absence as he has a little more patience than I do.

Will you be stopping by every once in while during this "hiatus"....or is it a full blown "not gonna log on hiatus"?
    I'm trying to work it out. As it is, i'm around about 1/10th the amount of time I used to be. I'm hoping to stick around but if I wind up leaving, it will be an indefinite (and complete) hiatus.

FINALLY!!!! LOL - Well, I least we did a good job keeping GB's long bumped to the top!
    Thanks buddy, much appreciated! I've been talking to admin about getting this thread sticky'd (but still open to post in) - I think i'll remind him now.

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    hey gb, your thread is stickied!

thanks for answering the questions in my thread. can i ask a follow-up question here?

for the purpose of boosting total protein intake to hit my daily requirements when i don't eat enough solid food, is a multi-protein blend or casein shake better that a whey shake? cos they are more balanced? or cos they are more slowly absorbed?

I thought I answered this already, but maybe it wasn't your thread. No problem in any event.

I like protein blends for everything, including PWO. I like to take advantage of several different amino profiles and absorption rates. Whey is very fast to absorb and assimilate, other than (arguably) PWO and/or first thing in the am, I find it pretty useless tbh.

AD
    followed your advice and went shopping at gnc. saw something called pro complex by optimum nutrition. is that the correct one?

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    whats the best thing to eat before going to bed that will fill you up ( i cant go to sleep when im hungry) ? p.s. im trying to cut atm

Quote Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
    followed your advice and went shopping at gnc. saw something called pro complex by optimum nutrition. is that the correct one?
    ON Pro Complex is what I like to use... I usually do a 50/50 split of ON Pro Complex and ON Casein.

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    whats the best thing to eat before going to bed that will fill you up ( i cant go to sleep when im hungry) ? p.s. im trying to cut atm
    Beef always does a good job of making me feel satiated. I just find it annoying to have to heat up before bed, so I stick with my cottage cheese and protein 'lumpy pudding'.

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    Why are hips annoying as ****, how long will it take to lose the basterds?

jpowell is offline Banned
    gb wadddup? been doing some searching. im down 60 lbs, but now im thinking bout bulking to get a lil mass. ive created a diet, and need your help. using the 40/40/20 split to start. but i was wondering shod i leve pro/carbs the same? or increase my carbs? i reli dont want to as im scared of the increase wod = fat gain. an im trynna do minimal fat gain. thanks

daninho777 is offline New Member
    Hey GB, you've probably already answered this but just wanted to know what your preferred method for working out maintenance calories is?

These last few years I've just been using 15 multiplied by total body weight (lb's) as a starting point and then when setting up a cutting diet I would have a 20-25% reduction form maintenance (500 cals approx) so roughly 10-12 cal/lb then as I go on I adjust this to what's happening with weight and body fat. I've only ever used a 40/40/20 diet for cutting which has given me results but I've given myself a lot of weeks to cut.

This time around I'm looking to drop fat a bit faster and go down to about 6% so it's a much more drastic cut. I'm thinking of going with carb cycling or some variation of keto (ckd most likely).

Based on this do you think I should be more detailed/thorough this time around when calculating and take into account lbm, energy expenditure etc or is my way good enough. My goal is to drop from 15% BF to about 6%-8% in under 10 weeks I'll be on cycle too.

AD
    What do you think of frozen meat? Do you use them? Frozen beef, chicken breast, fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishallnocheatmyself View Post
    Why are hips annoying as ****, how long will it take to lose the basterds?
    Hips, as in bodyfat accumilated in that area? Keep in mind that you (like me) may have wide hips to begin with, bone structure wise. I'm pretty sure I was meant to bear children lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by jpowell View Post
    gb wadddup? been doing some searching. im down 60 lbs, but now im thinking bout bulking to get a lil mass. ive created a diet, and need your help. using the 40/40/20 split to start. but i was wondering shod i leve pro/carbs the same? or increase my carbs? i reli dont want to as im scared of the increase wod = fat gain. an im trynna do minimal fat gain. thanks
    First, congrats on being down 60lbs! What are your current stats?

Assuming you gain fat relatively easily (how did you get 60+ lbs. overweight to begin with?), traditional bulking will probably never be your thing, just as it isn't for me. I'd like to know what you constitute as a 'bulk'. Are you eating 40/40/20 every day? How much over maintenance are you planning to eat? Will you be doing cardio? What did your previous diet plan look like, and how long were you running it to achieve your current results?

Quote Originally Posted by daninho777 View Post
    Hey GB, you've probably already answered this but just wanted to know what your preferred method for working out maintenance calories is?

These last few years I've just been using 15 multiplied by total body weight (lb's) as a starting point and then when setting up a cutting diet I would have a 20-25% reduction form maintenance (500 cals approx) so roughly 10-12 cal/lb then as I go on I adjust this to what's happening with weight and body fat. I've only ever used a 40/40/20 diet for cutting which has given me results but I've given myself a lot of weeks to cut.

This time around I'm looking to drop fat a bit faster and go down to about 6% so it's a much more drastic cut. I'm thinking of going with carb cycling or some variation of keto (ckd most likely).

Based on this do you think I should be more detailed/thorough this time around when calculating and take into account lbm, energy expenditure etc or is my way good enough. My goal is to drop from 15% BF to about 6%-8% in under 10 weeks I'll be on cycle too.
    First, I never figure out my maintenance by total body weight. I actually use this simple formula as well, to get a very rough starting point, except I calculate LBM x 15. Once you have your number, there are a ton of ways to go about it; percentage splits (e.g. 40/40/20), working each macro separetely (e.g. figure protein LBM x 1.5g, then fill in fats and carbs), etc. However, I am a firm believer in carb/calorie cycling, therefore it's a bit more complex. I have to figure out high, low, and moderate carb days. Generally, my protein and fats stay the same and only my carbs change. Obviously, my calories change by default.

I don't know that 15% down to 6-8% in under 10 weeks is terribly realistic, but all you can do is work towards that goal and know you did your absolute best in the end. What does your cycle look like? No matter what, yes - I think you'll need to start getting much more detailed if you want to get down into single digits.

Quote Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
    What do you think of frozen meat? Do you use them? Frozen beef, chicken breast, fish?
    Fresh is always best, quality wise, and organic fresh is even better. For fish, wild caught fresh is optimal. However, we all have busy lives and can't always do what's optimal, we need to do what's convenient but still 'acceptable'.

Generally, I buy fresh beef and chicken. If I don't use it all, I'll freeze it (for no more than a week) myself. I usually buy my fish frozen however (and unfortunately it's farm raised) due to convenience.

At the end of the day, these are of little importance where building muscle is concerned, and more notable with regards to clean eating and/or general health.

AD
    thanks mate, you're the best

jpowell is offline Banned
    Thanks gb,

Yes I gain fat super easy, which is why I really wanna keep my carbs to a min and have higher fats. As I was told higher fats in my diet will help to rid of the last bit of body I have. Even though I have gotten down smaller, my current stats are 220 lbs, bf % 17, but im gonna check it today before my workout to be forsure. Height is 5’10”. I have been working with a team of trainers of the last year, and contract is coming to an end, not sure if I wana sign up again or just use the info provided to me on this site and them for free. But as far as diet goes, they never really figured it based on macros. Just trial and error, I had always saw results so they figured I was good to go.
    Pretty much what im tryna do is gain a nice size and mass. As I have lose those pounds, I have lost some mass and strength. From reading the stickies, I figured I wod setup my program like this: tdee 3330, 5 meals aday. Splitting carbs into 3. 55.5 g pro, 111g carb, 15 g fat to start, nothing set in stone yet. No carbs for last 2 meals, and never no carbs and fats together. I planed on starting with 300 caloric surplus. I have been changing diets roughly about every 10-12 weeks where I seem to no notice any weight/fat loss.
    Another question I had, was do u rec’d that I continue to just cut, and get down bf% to a lower number?
    Lots of info here ino, but if anything is unclear please lemmo no.

johnyz333 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks GB for answering my question on carb cycling. Now assuming my daily carb intake is approx 170gm, how many carbs should I be eating during the 3 moderate days, the 3 low days and then finally the high/replenish day?

daninho777 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    First, I never figure out my maintenance by total body weight. I actually use this simple formula as well, to get a very rough starting point, except I calculate LBM x 15. Once you have your number, there are a ton of ways to go about it; percentage splits (e.g. 40/40/20), working each macro separetely (e.g. figure protein LBM x 1.5g, then fill in fats and carbs), etc. However, I am a firm believer in carb/calorie cycling, therefore it's a bit more complex. I have to figure out high, low, and moderate carb days. Generally, my protein and fats stay the same and only my carbs change. Obviously, my calories change by default.

I don't know that 15% down to 6-8% in under 10 weeks is terribly realistic, but all you can do is work towards that goal and know you did your absolute best in the end. What does your cycle look like? No matter what, yes - I think you'll need to start getting much more detailed if you want to get down into single digits.
    Sweet thanks, yeah I'll work my caloric needs by LBM and start setting up my diet from there. I'll start a thread when I got everything and get you to check it out if you can.

I'm gonna go with carb cycling, so how many grams of fat would you recommend per pound of LBM? and do you stay on a caloric deficit on the high carb day or add carbs until you hit maintenance?

Yeah I got to thinking about this last night and it's a bit ambitious so I'm going to get down to 12-13% before I start my cycle. I believe 15% is pushing it a bit for cycling anyway. Also Im not too worried about it, I'll try to achieve my goal but if I don't then I'll keep dieting for as long as it takes.

Cycle is:
    1-4 Test Prop kickstart 100 mg eod
    1-12 Test E 500 mg/wk
    1-8 Var 80 mg ED
    HCG 250 iu 2x/wk
    Aromasin 10 mg eod
    PCT
    Clomid 100/100/50/50
    Tamox 40/40/20/20
    Might include either clen and t3 or clen and eca stack.
    Last edited by daninho777; 03-31-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpowell View Post
    Thanks gb,

Yes I gain fat super easy, which is why I really wanna keep my carbs to a min and have higher fats. As I was told higher fats in my diet will help to rid of the last bit of body I have. Even though I have gotten down smaller, my current stats are 220 lbs, bf % 17, but im gonna check it today before my workout to be forsure. Height is 5’10”. I have been working with a team of trainers of the last year, and contract is coming to an end, not sure if I wana sign up again or just use the info provided to me on this site and them for free. But as far as diet goes, they never really figured it based on macros. Just trial and error, I had always saw results so they figured I was good to go.
    Pretty much what im tryna do is gain a nice size and mass. As I have lose those pounds, I have lost some mass and strength. From reading the stickies, I figured I wod setup my program like this: tdee 3330, 5 meals aday. Splitting carbs into 3. 55.5 g pro, 111g carb, 15 g fat to start, nothing set in stone yet. No carbs for last 2 meals, and never no carbs and fats together. I planed on starting with 300 caloric surplus. I have been changing diets roughly about every 10-12 weeks where I seem to no notice any weight/fat loss.
    Another question I had, was do u rec’d that I continue to just cut, and get down bf% to a lower number?
    Lots of info here ino, but if anything is unclear please lemmo no.
    Personally, I wouldn't even think of bulking at 17%. I'd drop bodyfat to at least 12% before even considering it. These days, I actually wouldn't start a 'bulk' over 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyz333 View Post
    Thanks GB for answering my question on carb cycling. Now assuming my daily carb intake is approx 170gm, how many carbs should I be eating during the 3 moderate days, the 3 low days and then finally the high/replenish day?
    That depends on your total calories and split of the other 2 macros. Too general a question and too many variables to give a simple answer to. I can't just tell you "eat this much" without delving into the plan in full. And that's what your thread is for!

Quote Originally Posted by daninho777 View Post
    Sweet thanks, yeah I'll work my caloric needs by LBM and start setting up my diet from there. I'll start a thread when I got everything and get you to check it out if you can.

I'm gonna go with carb cycling, so how many grams of fat would you recommend per pound of LBM? and do you stay on a caloric deficit on the high carb day or add carbs until you hit maintenance?

Yeah I got to thinking about this last night and it's a bit ambitious so I'm going to get down to 12-13% before I start my cycle. I believe 15% is pushing it a bit for cycling anyway. Also Im not too worried about it, I'll try to achieve my goal but if I don't then I'll keep dieting for as long as it takes.

Cycle is:
    1-4 Test Prop kickstart 100 mg eod
    1-12 Test E 500 mg/wk
    1-8 Var 80 mg ED
    HCG 250 iu 2x/wk
    Aromasin 10 mg eod
    PCT
    Clomid 100/100/50/50
    Tamox 40/40/20/20
    Might include either clen and t3 or clen and eca stack.
    Looks like you've done your due diligence over in the AAS section, cycle looks gtg, although personally i'd extend PCT by another week. That's just me.

I don't base fat on lbm, I simply go with protein and then 'fill in the blanks'. Let me know when you start that thread and i'll try to pop in and offer some help if I can.

johnyz333 is offline Junior Member
    Total Calorie intake is 2300 cals, ratio is 50/30/20. Just thought I would also add the diet you assisted me with 6 weeks back is working a treat Body fat is down, strength is up, LBM is same if not better. I can't thankyou enough mate.

billyyb is offline Junior Member
    Hey Gbrice, just wondering what formula you use to calculate your caloric needs when trying to bulk(lean bulk ofcourse)? I used the HB formula and then added 500 calories so came out at around 3350 per day (I'm 18 yo, almost 19, 178cm and 74kg). Also wondering what macronutrient split you would use to reach this daily caloric need? I'm tossing up between 80g/200g/450g ( fat/pro/carbs), 70g/325g/325g/ or 100g/200g/400g. Would appreciate your advice/ opinion. Thanks mate.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Your views on this program/ approach....

It is basically a combo of UD2 and Leangains...

There is a 4 day depletion phase where workouts are designed for maximum depletion. Cardio will also be performed PWO to further deplete glycogen and oxidise mobilised fatty acids (mobilised during the workout). The die during this phase as basically Very low carb...

Then there is a 3 day 'Anabolic ' phase where workouts are HIT with the goal being to stimulate growth. There will be no cardio PWO during this phase, cardio will only be performed in the AM where I am fasted and may be able to take advantage of the lower insulin levels...

Depletion phase

Sunday AM -Thursday AM

Diet

Target macros - 233p 50c 45f (fats may come out a little less than this)

IF meal schedule utilised to further extent low insulin phases....

Meal 1 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 2 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 3 - PWO - 60g Protein blend, 50g Oats

Meal 4 - 1 Chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 300g cottage cheese, 30g protein blend

Training

Sunday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC

Monday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC
    Monday PM (fast broken)- Lower body depletion workout, followed by 45 mins of LIC

Tuesday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC
    Tuesday PM (fast broken)- Upper body depletion workout, followed by 45 mins of LIC

Wednesday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC

Thursday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC

Anabolic phase

Thursday PM -Saturday PM

Diet

Target macros - 233p 325c 45f (fats may come out a little less than this)

IF meal schedule utilised to further extent low insulin phases....

Meal 1 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 100g Brown Rice, broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 2 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 100g Brown Rice, broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 3 - PWO - 60g Protein blend, 75g Oats

Meal 4 - 1 Chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 200g Brown Rice, 300g cottage cheese

Training

Thursday PM - Lower Body Hypertrophy type workout, HIT Style...

Friday AM - Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC
    Friday PM - Upper Body Hypertrophy type workout, HIT Style

Saturday - No training
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

PecBounce is offline Junior Member
    Stats:

190lbs

Would like to cut down for the summer. Have been on a bulk. Mait is 4200cals,400g carbs, 390g protein, 130g fat.

On my low carb days how many should I costume? What %?

Could I go

M-low carb
    T-low carb
    W-carb load
    T-low carb
    F-low
    Sat-carb load-
    Sun-low carb

What % carbs on carb load days?

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Gbrice. You been in this "diet/exercise" game for a few years now. How long till the body gets it??? I have struggled with tummy roll all my life. After over a year of eating right, exercising consistently, I noticed that my stomach is flat. Someone told me it takes 3 whole years for the metabolism to change and the body to release the fat!?! What's your personal experience? what do you believe based on your knowledge? Thx!!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    ^^^ i do have loose skin now....LOL!

Thread Information