Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

Twin is offline Associate Member
    bro i been eating all nutritious foods with 1-2 cheat meals on the weekend on an off day.. its getting crazy. been spending alot of money on my diet too.. i been havin huge 14 oz tbone steaks every night, i feel like an animal. but i love it. all the nutrients make me feel good. and im about to hit 100lb dumbbell flat press for 3 sets of 3-5 very soon.... im at 95's now.... =] ... been seeeing good gains since i started to eat only nutrient foods... people used to tell me it doesnt matter what you eat as long as it fits your macros, but i abused that, and not much results from it.. so now im sick of that "if it fits your macros" bs and only eat foods with many nutrients in it....

the only bad things that i eat are like a little bit of jelly for my natty peanut butter on whole wheat bread sandwhich. or a little sugar that is in my instant oatmeal blueberry flavor... its crazy, when just a few months ago, i was using whey protein shakes as a main source of protein, when now sometimes i dont even have a whey protein shake.. because of my big tbone steak that i eat and chickenbreast for lunch and me chugging egg whites etc. i get 200G protein sometimes just from foods... (not everyday, but sometimes it happens)

but for some reason i am craving a bagel... but i dont want to waste a cheat meal on a bagel...

are there any types of bagels that i can get at the bagel store in the morning that have nutrients and are good for bodybuilding? (bulking)

or should i not visit the bagel store unless its a cheat meal?

in short:

Can bagels from a bagel store with cream cheese or butter or ?? (which) can be good for bodybuilding?-- does it have nutrients to aid in bodybuilding... because i am craving one but i dont want to waste a cheat meal on a damn bagel. id rather pig out on greasy fries and a big mac. etc.
    Last edited by Twin; 04-04-2012 at 01:34 AM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyz333 View Post
    Total Calorie intake is 2300 cals, ratio is 50/30/20. Just thought I would also add the diet you assisted me with 6 weeks back is working a treat Body fat is down, strength is up, LBM is same if not better. I can't thankyou enough mate.
    Awesome bro, very glad to hear it!!

Quote Originally Posted by billyyb View Post
    Hey Gbrice, just wondering what formula you use to calculate your caloric needs when trying to bulk(lean bulk ofcourse)? I used the HB formula and then added 500 calories so came out at around 3350 per day (I'm 18 yo, almost 19, 178cm and 74kg). Also wondering what macronutrient split you would use to reach this daily caloric need? I'm tossing up between 80g/200g/450g ( fat/pro/carbs), 70g/325g/325g/ or 100g/200g/400g. Would appreciate your advice/ opinion. Thanks mate.
    I don't use any of the formulas. I don't like them as IMO they always tend to come out way too high. The problem is that the activity multiplier is far too subjective. What I consider 'moderately active' and what other people do probably varies to a great degree.

I find that a very simple LBM x 15 = maintenance gives me a very good starting point to work from, albeit a very crude figure. I adjust up/down from there until the diet is dialed in.

I like your 1st macro split better than the second, but I personally would up the protein a bit and drop the fat. Say 65g/235/450g. When lean bulking, I like fat to be pretty low. HOWEVER - at 162lbs of total bodyweight, I think 3350 cals/day is too high for you. What is your current BF%? How tall are you in feet/inches, if you know?

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Your views on this program/ approach....

It is basically a combo of UD2 and Leangains...
    Interesting. You're the second person in as many weeks that I see combining programs. 405 is/was working on a UD2/Stubborn Fat loss combo.

There is a 4 day depletion phase where workouts are designed for maximum depletion. Cardio will also be performed PWO to further deplete glycogen and oxidise mobilised fatty acids (mobilised during the workout). The die during this phase as basically Very low carb...

Then there is a 3 day 'Anabolic ' phase where workouts are HIT with the goal being to stimulate growth. There will be no cardio PWO during this phase, cardio will only be performed in the AM where I am fasted and may be able to take advantage of the lower insulin levels...

Depletion phase

Sunday AM -Thursday AM

Diet

Target macros - 233p 50c 45f (fats may come out a little less than this)

IF meal schedule utilised to further extent low insulin phases....

Meal 1 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 2 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 3 - PWO - 60g Protein blend, 50g Oats

Meal 4 - 1 Chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 300g cottage cheese, 30g protein blend

Training

Sunday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC

Monday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC
    Monday PM (fast broken)- Lower body depletion workout, followed by 45 mins of LIC

Tuesday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC
    Tuesday PM (fast broken)- Upper body depletion workout, followed by 45 mins of LIC

Wednesday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC

Thursday AM (during fast)- Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC

Anabolic phase

Thursday PM -Saturday PM

Diet

Target macros - 233p 325c 45f (fats may come out a little less than this)

IF meal schedule utilised to further extent low insulin phases....

Meal 1 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 100g Brown Rice, broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 2 - 1 chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 100g Brown Rice, broccoli, 3 fish caps

Meal 3 - PWO - 60g Protein blend, 75g Oats

Meal 4 - 1 Chicken breast (aprox 8oz), 200g Brown Rice, 300g cottage cheese

Training

Thursday PM - Lower Body Hypertrophy type workout, HIT Style...

Friday AM - Cardio - 5 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 5 min break, 30 mins LIC
    Friday PM - Upper Body Hypertrophy type workout, HIT Style

Saturday - No training
    I think it's solid as hell. I'm glad to see you don't appear to be planning to do the massive carb load that UD2 specifies. Like me, you tend to put on bodyfat easier than others, and I think carb loading to the degree UD2 lays it out would be disasterous for guys like us. A moderate carb load as you're planning is perfect IMO. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by PecBounce View Post
    Stats:

190lbs

Would like to cut down for the summer. Have been on a bulk. Mait is 4200cals,400g carbs, 390g protein, 130g fat.

On my low carb days how many should I costume? What %?

Could I go

M-low carb
    T-low carb
    W-carb load
    T-low carb
    F-low
    Sat-carb load-
    Sun-low carb

What % carbs on carb load days?
    What are the rest of your stats? Height? Age? BF%? Any pics?

I HIGHLY doubt your maintenance calories are 4200. That's higher than most people bulk with. I'll hold off on talking numbers until this is addressed, but personally I don't see the point of 2 low carb days and then a refeed. 2 days may not be enough to deplete glycogen, and that's the main goal of low/no carb days. This also depends a great deal on your routine and cardio.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 04-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Re: how long it takes the body to adjust to a new lifestyle - this is completely dependent on the individual. I can say with confidence that my body has yet to adjust completely. I still struggle with adding bodyfat vs. muscle mass simply because my body has become accustomed to doing so for many, many years. I have an inefficient metabolism, am insulin resistant, and have poor nutrient partitioning mechanics.

To a degree we can fix these issues. We can work to make our bodies more insulin sensitive and speed up our metabolism. There is no magic answer here, we simply have to keep on doing what we're doing - smart dieting and exercise. If nothing else, we are better now than we were before. All we can do is keep fighting to be better than yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin View Post
    bro i been eating all nutritious foods with 1-2 cheat meals on the weekend on an off day.. its getting crazy. been spending alot of money on my diet too.. i been havin huge 14 oz tbone steaks every night, i feel like an animal. but i love it. all the nutrients make me feel good. and im about to hit 100lb dumbbell flat press for 3 sets of 3-5 very soon.... im at 95's now.... =] ... been seeeing good gains since i started to eat only nutrient foods... people used to tell me it doesnt matter what you eat as long as it fits your macros, but i abused that, and not much results from it.. so now im sick of that "if it fits your macros" bs and only eat foods with many nutrients in it....
    Glad to hear this bro!!! Kind of debunks all that 'eat whatever you want and just hit your macros'. I give that advice when people are sweating bullets over eating pork loin vs. chicken breast. But no, you cannot eat ice cream and donuts and expect to have the same physique as somebody eating chicken and broccoli.

the only bad things that i eat are like a little bit of jelly for my natty peanut butter on whole wheat bread sandwhich. or a little sugar that is in my instant oatmeal blueberry flavor... its crazy, when just a few months ago, i was using whey protein shakes as a main source of protein, when now sometimes i dont even have a whey protein shake.. because of my big tbone steak that i eat and chickenbreast for lunch and me chugging egg whites etc. i get 200G protein sometimes just from foods... (not everyday, but sometimes it happens)
    Excellent!!! Aside from strength, how are you looking? Bigger muscles? How about bodyfat?

but for some reason i am craving a bagel... but i dont want to waste a cheat meal on a bagel...

are there any types of bagels that i can get at the bagel store in the morning that have nutrients and are good for bodybuilding? (bulking)

or should i not visit the bagel store unless its a cheat meal?
    Well, you're already having PB and Jelly on bread, instant (sugar filled) oatmeal, so why the concern over a bagel? It's no worse than what you're already eating tbh. That said, a whole wheat bagel would be your best bet, although the differences are negligible since they still use enriched wheat flour, etc - nothing wholesome about it.

in short:

Can bagels from a bagel store with cream cheese or butter or ?? (which) can be good for bodybuilding?-- does it have nutrients to aid in bodybuilding... because i am craving one but i dont want to waste a cheat meal on a damn bagel. id rather pig out on greasy fries and a big mac. etc.
    Nutrients - not really. Carbs - yes. So can it aid in bodybuilding? Fit it into your carb macro, and the answer is yes. Just realize this isn't considered typical bodybuilding food, nor is it clean eating. But if you can fit it into your macros - and you're not getting fat - then I say enjoy the gotdamn bagel!!

billyyb is offline Junior Member
    I was thinking the exact same thing, 3350 sounds a bit excessive to me. That's why I was reluctant to start before getting your opinion haha. Yeah, I'm 5'10 and I've never had a bf % test, but I'd estimate I'm about 12%, as my abdominals are visible and I've always had relatively low bf. So would LBM have me at about 2130 cals a day for maintenance? Then start off with adding 500 cals to that? This number sounds alot more reasonable. Cheers mate.

my bodyfat came back . but that was when i started eating very unclean for alot of my meals.

heres a current pic of me tho. seems like my arms grew. and i looked under my triceps and it has little dots/areas. im guessing a stretch mark. im hoping its not fapceps though. hopefully my arm size stays when i melt away all the bodyfat again over the summer...

i plan on keeping on my bulk till mid june... then will go on a 2-3 month cut.

and oo i didnt know jelly or a little sugar in that instant oatmeal was that bad, since it was a small fraction. i guess ill stick to just natty peanut butter sandwhiches. and plain instant oatmeal with cinnamon . ( i just cant eat oats, taste so dry and nasty, unless i blend it... )

also, so you think whole wheat bagel with cream cheese is ok right? the cream cheese aint bad?

and how about white potatoes? are they ok? because i like them too lol
    Last edited by Twin; 04-05-2012 at 12:39 AM.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

I think it's solid as hell. I'm glad to see you don't appear to be planning to do the massive carb load that UD2 specifies. Like me, you tend to put on bodyfat easier than others, and I think carb loading to the degree UD2 lays it out would be disasterous for guys like us. A moderate carb load as you're planning is perfect IMO. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

FUK!

Now you have given it the ok I have to do it... LOL

In all seriousness I always need a little drive from someone to help me get where I want to go... So you saying its a go'er is a gd thing 4 me personally!

Not bigging myself up but I would be great if I had a trainer who was on my ass 24/7 because I would follow the plan 100%... My problem is I decide I wanna cut, come up with a plan, then change the plan, then question whether I wanna cut LMFAO

This year I WANT to be ripped for summer.... Once I get started, you can sure as hell bet that im gonna fukin smash it harder than ever b4.... Maybe I should get a thread going to log it.... Seems like any1 who starts one gets support and usually ends up doing well...

Hats off to 405.... He looks mint and I would love 2 look like that
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    FUK!

In all seriousness I always need a little drive from someone to help me get where I want to go... So you saying its a go'er is a gd thing 4 me personally!

Not bigging myself up but I would be great if I had a trainer who was on my ass 24/7 because I would follow the plan 100%... My problem is I decide I wanna cut, come up with a plan, then change the plan, then question whether I wanna cut LMFAO

This year I WANT to be ripped for summer.... Once I get started, you can sure as hell bet that im gonna fukin smash it harder than ever b4.... Maybe I should get a thread going to log it.... Seems like any1 who starts one gets support and usually ends up doing well...

It's April already! Our 5 days of summer will be here in less than 12 weeks. Get cutting!

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    It's April already! Our 5 days of summer will be here in less than 12 weeks. Get cutting!
    We had I last week m8...

22 and pure sun.... This weeks 2 and snow.....

Love england

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    FUK!

i love your plan that you posted above. i am thinking about running something similar to this and like you said, having a log makes all the difference. i have lost 20 lbs (196-176) since joining this site and getting leaner by the day. and yes 405 is a beast and his dedication shows

Quote Originally Posted by billyyb View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing, 3350 sounds a bit excessive to me. That's why I was reluctant to start before getting your opinion haha. Yeah, I'm 5'10 and I've never had a bf % test, but I'd estimate I'm about 12%, as my abdominals are visible and I've always had relatively low bf. So would LBM have me at about 2130 cals a day for maintenance? Then start off with adding 500 cals to that? This number sounds alot more reasonable. Cheers mate.
    Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but can you list your complete stats - above is missing your bodyweight. I'm sure you mentioned it before, but I find it difficult (and annoying to be honest) to go back and reference old posts. Put it all in one spot and i'll let you know what I think.

my bodyfat came back . but that was when i started eating very unclean for alot of my meals.

heres a current pic of me tho. seems like my arms grew. and i looked under my triceps and it has little dots/areas. im guessing a stretch mark. im hoping its not fapceps though. hopefully my arm size stays when i melt away all the bodyfat again over the summer...

Man, you look beast! You should be very proud of yourself, you have come a LONG way from that skinny kid I remember seeing when you joined... kudos! I'd like to see a shirtless pic to assess what's really doing under there, but bulk you have, no doubt.

i plan on keeping on my bulk till mid june... then will go on a 2-3 month cut.
    Up to you, but i'd start the cut now. If you start cutting in June, it'll be fall by the time you reach what I imagine your goal to be... what's the point? Don't you want to be in shape for the summer? Again, your body, your choice - but most of us will start cutting around April or so in hopes of being nice and lean by June/July.

and oo i didnt know jelly or a little sugar in that instant oatmeal was that bad, since it was a small fraction. i guess ill stick to just natty peanut butter sandwhiches. and plain instant oatmeal with cinnamon . ( i just cant eat oats, taste so dry and nasty, unless i blend it... )
    It depends on what you consider 'bad'. You're bulking; it's not a huge deal. I don't worry AS MUCH about sugar, but then again I have the tendency to gain fat very quickly. It may not be as big a deal for you. I would avoid all of that when you begin your cut however. As for the oatmeal, use splenda and cinnamon. A 1/2 of banana or 1/2 cup blueberries on top will sweeten it even further.

also, so you think whole wheat bagel with cream cheese is ok right? the cream cheese aint bad?
    Again, depends on your definition of 'bad'. Full fat cream cheese is high in fat. Whole wheat bagels are basically nutrient unrich foods. If you can fit them into your macros, go for it. Personally, i'd rather be getting X amount of fat grams from EFA's like fish oil rather than cream cheese however. A whole wheat bagel with low sugar/sugar free jelly would be my choice. Spray with some 'I can't believe it's not butter' and you're good to go.

and how about white potatoes? are they ok? because i like them too lol
    The white potatoes are fine. Too much emphasis is put on white potatoes being inferior to sweet potatoes. Yes, sweet potatoes are higher in fiber, vitamin A, and fiber. They are also lower on the GI scale. However, who eats potatoes by themselves? Having protein and some fat with potatoes completely changes the GI of the potatoes. White potatoes get a bad rap because they're associated with french fries, potato chips, i.e. processed potato foods, where sweet potatoes are more often associated with being eaten in their natural state. White potatoes are higher in iron and other minerals. They have their advantages. At the end of the day, it's splitting hairs - if you prefer white potatoes, stick with them. I eat them on every carb day.

FUK!

LoL!!! Yea man, I think it'll be great, and i'll be following closely because perhaps i'll give it a go if it works well for you. Thank you guinea pig, lol!

Join the club!! I do the same shit all the time. Having somebody on my ass 24/7 would be a godsend for me. Having Nark on my side is great, but seeing as he's in Barbados and i'm in the US, it doesn't carry the same 'punch'. No knock on him obviously.

Look at the bright side - at least when you cut, you look great. I cut and look like a fvcking skinny cvnt. Boils down to low LBM, plain and simple. I'm honest enough with myself to know that. My bulk was basically a failure because I put on more bodyfat than anything. My body is so fvcked up, lol!

ME TOO!!!! Definitely make the thread bro. It's what I believe helped keep you honest and motivated last time, and that was your most successful venture that I've seen.

x2. He has put in the hard work and it shows. I hate him! He's a lean guy with a good muscle base. I'm a fat cvnt with a crappy muscle base. FML!

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Fuk yea!!!

We had I last week m8...

22 and pure sun.... This weeks 2 and snow.....

Love england
    Some day i'm going to get out there and train with you guys. How close are you 2 in proximity to each other?

Thanks for the support...

Im from Birmingham, stem is soon moving from cheltenham to cheshire Which will b about 90 mins away from me

Thanks for the support...

Im from Birmingham, stem is soon moving from cheltenham to cheshire Which will b about 90 mins away from me
    Not bad at all - you boys ever plan to meet up?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Not bad at all - you boys ever plan to meet up?
    Ha ha, I'm scared he'd beast me! We're only about 60mins away from each other right now and I've had a change of plan, Base. If all goes well I'll be off to Nottingham instead, again, an hour away. And loads of great gyms in Nottingham!

billyyb is offline Junior Member
    All good.

Age- 18 (19 in 2 months)
    Height- 5'10
    Weight- 163lb
    Bf- 12%

Ha. thanks bro and yea i ll get a shirtless pic up soon. i should have taken a pic today. i had a very nice pump after my chest/arms hypertrophy.. ..

fail to prepare... then plan to fail is my new motto...

lil midnight snack!!!

i season my steaks the week before while raw. and i put it in the freezer. then i just take it out for 2-3 hours in water. and put it in the oven on broil for dinner every night.. with white potato or my brown rice.... and broccoli..

and yea i want to cut but i just want to accomplish some strength goals of mine before i do that. also i like feeling big.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    hey GB, with all the carb cycling talk, would it be the same if one would keep moderate to low carbs throughout the week instead of the no, low, mod, and high (refeed). or, is it more about depleting the body/muscles of glycogen thus causing insulin to carry more glucose in the muscle when 'refeeding' because one is so depleted? if it is all about numbers, then would the first statement be correct? what i am saying is, if one eats 1,000g carbs for a week by keeping the same carb intake everyday, would it be the same as taking in 1,000g carbs in different intervals throught the week (0g, 50g, 100g 200g). kind of confused on this somewhat and trying to see if there is a difference.

Damn Twin, good stuff!!! Not sure I like the quick 'defrost in water' for beef, i'd take it out a day or 2 prior and let it come to temp in the fridge, but no biggie as long as you're not getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    hey GB, with all the carb cycling talk, would it be the same if one would keep moderate to low carbs throughout the week instead of the no, low, mod, and high (refeed). or, is it more about depleting the body/muscles of glycogen thus causing insulin to carry more glucose in the muscle when 'refeeding' because one is so depleted? if it is all about numbers, then would the first statement be correct? what i am saying is, if one eats 1,000g carbs for a week by keeping the same carb intake everyday, would it be the same as taking in 1,000g carbs in different intervals throught the week (0g, 50g, 100g 200g). kind of confused on this somewhat and trying to see if there is a difference.
    The bold, kind of. Depelting glycogen stores forces the body to burn fat for fuel. The body generally uses fuel in this order (this is a crude and oversimplified example):

glucose > glycogen > dietary fat/body fat > dietary protein > muscle protein (i.e. LBM).

As you can imagine when we carb cycle, on low/no carb days we are keeping insulin supressed by not elevating blood glucose. This, over time, will cause the cells to become more insulin sensitive. The refeed is to restore glycogen and allow us to work out with intensity. Also, by default, this gives your body the 'jolt' it needs so you don't wind up in a metabolic slump, assuming calories would also be low on a continuous low-carb diet.

Fatburgler is offline New Member
    GB any help will be greatly appreciated. Been getting beat up lately cause I didn't grasp posting edicuit so I hope I get this right. Info: want to get cut immediate goal 10-12% bf
    41 yrs old
    5 10
    ~ 16 %bf
    Running prop, tren a, 100 mg eod. Dex .5 eod

Major issue is shift work. 7-7 rotating days and nights. Example 3 on days 3 off then nights. Have been using IF lean gains cause it allows me to at least maintain a consistent feeding schedule. Feel like I'm holding on to bf and not sure if the lack of sleep is the culprit or the diet.

Pre wo 10 g BCAA (fasted lifting and cardio when working nights)
    Pwo 25 g whey 3 pcs whole wheat toast plain

Meal 1 3 egg whites 3 whole eggs
    1 cup beans
    Spinach

Meal 2 8 oz chic breast, 1 cup beans
    Salad w 2 tbls olive oil

Meal 3 same as 2

Meal 4 cassein 30 g 3/4 cup liquid egg white with low fat feta

Any help would be huge

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    GB, whats happening mate? This thread is killing it! Great job!

Hey I'm righting a diet for my girlfriend. What do u think is a goo amount of meals per day? Just so I know how many to break it up between.

Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Fatburgler View Post
    GB any help will be greatly appreciated. Been getting beat up lately cause I didn't grasp posting edicuit so I hope I get this right. Info: want to get cut immediate goal 10-12% bf
    41 yrs old
    5 10
    ~ 16 %bf
    Running prop, tren a, 100 mg eod. Dex .5 eod

Major issue is shift work. 7-7 rotating days and nights. Example 3 on days 3 off then nights. Have been using IF lean gains cause it allows me to at least maintain a consistent feeding schedule. Feel like I'm holding on to bf and not sure if the lack of sleep is the culprit or the diet.
    It'll be nearly impossible for me to comment on anything other than food choices until you post up macros, but we'll try.

Pre wo 10 g BCAA (fasted lifting and cardio when working nights)
    Pwo 25 g whey 3 pcs whole wheat toast plain

Meal 1 3 egg whites 3 whole eggs
    1 cup beans
    Spinach
    Doesn't seem like much protein. What kind of beans?

Meal 2 8 oz chic breast, 1 cup beans
    Salad w 2 tbls olive oil
    Prob. more fat than you need here

Meal 3 same as 2

Meal 4 cassein 30 g 3/4 cup liquid egg white with low fat feta
    Sounds fvcking disgusting but ok!

Any help would be huge
    Really need to see macros bro. Also, why are you eating basically 5 meals on your IF diet? And what time do these meals happen? You can tell me day and night times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    GB, whats happening mate? This thread is killing it! Great job!

Hey I'm righting a diet for my girlfriend. What do u think is a goo amount of meals per day? Just so I know how many to break it up between.

Thanks mate
    Whatever will allow her to be most consistent IMO. From a nutritional and metabolic standpoint, it doesn't matter. If she eats 1200 calories (example) over 3 meals or 8, her body has to metabolize 1200 calories.

More frequent smaller meals usually help people who are overeaters; i.e. those who cannot control themselves when they sit down to a large meal. Smaller frequent meals ensure they are only getting small portions... kind of a hidden way to teach portion control.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 04-19-2012 at 11:18 AM.

GB first thanks for your time and help bro.
    Macros I admit have been all over road. Ideally 2300 calories
    45/35/20
    I have switched things up starting today after reading your entire log and gaining better insight.
    The beans are kidney beans (Brazilian wife)
    Meals are alway 1 pm 5 pm 9 pm I was consuming pwo at 9 am cause I usually go right to gym from work while working nights which really throws things off. On days schedule workouts are about 7 pm where 9 pm meal works as pwo that's why there were five meal/4 meals with IF. hitting gym at 7 am fasted training and cardio then waiting til 1 to eat not sure what to do here. Oh yeah and the egg white low fat feta is on the money lol

GB forgot to mention I have been carb Leary and self programmed to shun them. Today from work trained dd 1 hr cardio went home had 10 g BCAA before and after training at 1 ate 8 oz steak3/4 oats, 3 fish caps

5 pm ate 8 oz chick breast 2 cups Brussels sprouts
    9 pm 8 oz chick 2 cups asparagus

Beroo is offline Junior Member
    Does protein have to be increased while on a cycle? Im currently taking in 1g-1.5g per lb of bw but wondering if there's any research to prove that more protein during a cycle is beneficial.

GB forgot to mention I have been carb Leary and self programmed to shun them. Today from work trained dd 1 hr cardio went home had 10 g BCAA before and after training at 1 ate 8 oz steak3/4 oats, 3 fish caps

csavage0 is offline Member

Doing same stuff = getting same results

I'm tired of dieting the same way and ending up with the same look. I always cut my calories as low as 1700-2000 per day and do 1 hr of steady state cardio 6 days a week (jogging at about 5mph). I know the calories are way too low and cardio maybe over kill. I'm 6ft and 242 @ 14% bf. I eat mainly chicken oats tuna and sweet potato. At my size what would be sufficient for cardio and caloric intake. I was thinking more like 2300 cal and 40 min cardio or some form of hitt

daniel20 is offline New Member
    Before I ask, just gotta say this thread is amazing!! Anyways so I seen that you recommend starting off 40c/40p/20f diet for most and tweak from there. Do you believe that for ectomorph body types, they should be leaning more towards 50c/30p/20f when trying to gain lean mass, as the higher carbs will increase insulin output and stop the body from using protein as a energy source?
    Thanks!

gsRuffneck is offline New Member
    Hi I was just wondering some of the things you would recommend for pwo. I usually drink a whey protein shake but always struggle with which carbs should be the best. I know I need a quick carb is oats quick enough. and if im eating whole foods pwo what is another quick carb that would go good with turkey breast or tuna. Thank you

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I did a cutting phase last year with cycling carbs and fats for the predominate fuel sources and had some great results The ratios were:

24/31/45 %(c/f/p)
    34/14/51 % (c/f/p)

I don't have access to the actual plan right now, but will post them when I return home. Anyway I wanted to get your opinion on such of a diet. It's not so much a keto as you can see from the percentages, but I did add a shock day in every other 4th day which was Keto. Have you done such a diet? DO you think a fuel cycling type of diet can yield decent results without true keto being the main focus of the diet?
    Last edited by 24labor; 04-18-2012 at 07:05 PM.

GB scratch past post and question I got the answers I was looking from you by going back and seeing how you answered other peoPles questions. Changed macros to 60p/25c/15f 1900 cal total

Still using IF meal times 1,3(shake) 5, 9 question: can't seem to get in all the protein needs in small time frame any suggestions thanks

GB first thanks for your time and help bro.
    Macros I admit have been all over road. Ideally 2300 calories
    45/35/20
    I have switched things up starting today after reading your entire log and gaining better insight.
    The beans are kidney beans (Brazilian wife)
    Good!

Meals are alway 1 pm 5 pm 9 pm I was consuming pwo at 9 am cause I usually go right to gym from work while working nights which really throws things off. On days schedule workouts are about 7 pm where 9 pm meal works as pwo that's why there were five meal/4 meals with IF. hitting gym at 7 am fasted training and cardio then waiting til 1 to eat not sure what to do here. Oh yeah and the egg white low fat feta is on the money lol
    I'm still kind of confused with your schedule lol! If you're doing IF, you can eat as little as a single meal, although I wouldn't personally do that. If you're training fasted (I did when I ran IF as well), eat a huge PWO meal, and then 1 or 2 smaller meals within the allotted feeding window - keep that window 8 hours or less. I did 3 meals within a 6-7 hour period. Note that if you can fast longer, your results may be better. Some guys fast for 20-21 hours and then have a very short 3-4 hour feeding window.

I was carb leary too. But carbs aren't the enemy. Yes, some people do better with them than others, but it comes down to carbs at the right time IMO. A lot of people on this board will debate me on this, but i'm still a believer in macro timing. Consume energy when there is a demand, i.e. around your workout window for instance, and the energy will be put to better use than if you consumed it at a sedentary time. That's my stance until i'm convinced otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Beroo View Post
    Does protein have to be increased while on a cycle? Im currently taking in 1g-1.5g per lb of bw but wondering if there's any research to prove that more protein during a cycle is beneficial.
    Protein doesn't have to be increased, but depending on the goal of the cycle (i.e. add mass or cutting cycle), most people do. Off cycle, I typically start with 1.5g per lb of LBM (not total bodyweight), and will go up to 2g while on cycle. If you're already consuming 1.5g per lb of bw, you're probably already eating enough or more than you need. What are your stats?

Quote Originally Posted by csavage0 View Post
    I'm tired of dieting the same way and ending up with the same look. I always cut my calories as low as 1700-2000 per day and do 1 hr of steady state cardio 6 days a week (jogging at about 5mph). I know the calories are way too low and cardio maybe over kill. I'm 6ft and 242 @ 14% bf. I eat mainly chicken oats tuna and sweet potato. At my size what would be sufficient for cardio and caloric intake. I was thinking more like 2300 cal and 40 min cardio or some form of hitt
    I hardly read past your first statement, because I know the feeling (I did read the rest ). The question is, why do you wind up with the same look, and what is that look? At 6ft. 242lbs and 14% bodyfat, you must be huge... either that, or you're grossly underestimating your bodyfat. I'm by no means a big guy, but i'm 5'11 and around 193lbs @ 9% bodyfat in my avy... just as a point of reference. Do you have pics?

IF your stats are even close to accurate, then you are very likely undereating. ~208lbs of LBM? That's monstrous. I'd have your TDEE somewhere around 3000 calories... cutting at even 2000 is pretty damn low. I think you definitely need to up the calories... but again, this is assuming the stats are on point.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel20 View Post
    Before I ask, just gotta say this thread is amazing!!
    Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

Anyways so I seen that you recommend starting off 40c/40p/20f diet for most and tweak from there.
    I used to, but not really any more. 40/40/20 is too general and depending on the caloric needs, can throw macros way out of whack. Also, I like fat in the diet lower these days, between 10-15% of total calories (no lower than 10 though). These days, I base protein needs on LBM and then fill in the blanks from there, do a little tweaking, etc. until i'm happy with the final product.

Do you believe that for ectomorph body types, they should be leaning more towards 50c/30p/20f when trying to gain lean mass, as the higher carbs will increase insulin output and stop the body from using protein as a energy source?
    Thanks!
    Well first of all, your body doesn't use protein as an energy source... unless you have no available glucose, glycogen, dietary or body fat. Protein is the building block, carbs and fat are the energy sources. If you're trying to add mass, carbs and insulin are your friend. If you also gain fat easily, it can be tricky - and again, this brings me back to macro timing, but I don't want to get too much into that in this reply. I just want you to understand the basic mechanisms and how they function.

Again, I really wouldn't base needs on any blanket percentages any more. 40/40/20 is a VERY general starting point that works for a lot of people, but I like to go a bit more in depth. Generally, 1.5g of protein per lb. of LBM, and then I play with the rest until I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gsRuffneck View Post
    Hi I was just wondering some of the things you would recommend for pwo. I usually drink a whey protein shake but always struggle with which carbs should be the best. I know I need a quick carb is oats quick enough.
    You don't need a quick carb. Oats are a relatively slow complex carb... and they have been my PWO choice for several years now, and will continue to be.

Quote Originally Posted by gsRuffneck View Post
    and if im eating whole foods pwo what is another quick carb that would go good with turkey breast or tuna. Thank you
    I'm happy with any decent complex carb. Beans, rice, potato/sweet potato, lentils, quinoa, whole grain bread or pasta, cous cous, grits... your choices are endless really.

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor View Post
    I did a cutting phase last year with cycling carbs and fats for the predominate fuel sources and had some great results The ratios were:

24/31/45 %(c/f/p)
    34/14/51 % (c/f/p)

I don't have access to the actual plan right now, but will post them when I return home. Anyway I wanted to get your opinion on such of a diet. It's not so much a keto as you can see from the percentages, but I did add a shock day in every other 4th day which was Keto. Have you done such a diet? DO you think a fuel cycling type of diet can yield decent results without true keto being the main focus of the diet?
    I am a big advocate of carb cycling diets, but I do not see the need to increase fats on low/no carb days. The carb cycle serves 2 purposes for me on low/no carb days: lack of carbs in an effort to deplete glycogen stores and burn fat (this is what eventually will lead to full blown ketosis), and by default, a caloric reduction to further increase my caloric deficit. This generally comes with a weekly refeed consisting of a high carb day (there's your shock day) to restore glycogen and provide energy for another round of workouts.

GB scratch past post and question I got the answers I was looking from you by going back and seeing how you answered other peoPles questions. Changed macros to 60p/25c/15f 1900 cal total

Still using IF meal times 1,3(shake) 5, 9 question: can't seem to get in all the protein needs in small time frame any suggestions thanks
    Why can't you get all the protein in? What's the problem specifically?

GB unless I throw in a couple of shakes I can't eat that much food in three meals 8 hours which sounds crazy to me too
    Right now eating at 1,5,9 o'clock
    8oz chick breast 2cups spinach 1 cup brown rice 3 fish oil
    8oz chick breast 2 cups broccoli 1/2 cup oats : fish oil
    8 oz salmon or chicken 2 cups spinach
    Throw in a cassein/whey blend in the middle still coming up short on protein by about 40 g
    if I stick to a 60/25/15 macro split.
    If I'm being a Punk just let me know if I gotta up the Protein at every meal I will or is the shake idea better?

"I'm still kind of confused with your schedule lol! If you're doing IF, you can eat as little as a single meal, although I wouldn't personally do that. If you're training fasted (I did when I ran IF as well), eat a huge PWO meal, and then 1 or 2 smaller meals within the allotted feeding window - keep that window 8 hours or less. I did 3 meals within a 6-7 hour period. Note that if you can fast longer, your results may be better. Some guys fast for 20-21 hours and then have a very short 3-4 hour feeding window."

It confuses the s&$t outta me too! Basically I either work all day 7-7 or all night 7-7. 65% of the time I am doing fasted training at 7 am out of gym by 9am then don't eat til 1 that's where I am lost with pwo meal. Been taking BCAA after workout to sustain but not sure how beneficial that is or how much that's hurting. I am going to take you advice and minimize the feeding window and fast an hour or two longer
    Last edited by Fatburgler; 04-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Just wanted to say GB, that it's been a while since I've frequented the boards and I'm gladto see there are some good guys giving quality advice to the members. Kudus!.

I was interested in your replay and was going to post the original plan I wrote up last year to show you what I had going on as to perhaps get some ideas on some changes for my next cutting phase. I am currently at 177 around 18%BF. Looking to drop to 160. Not doing a show or anything and also not running any gear or supplements for that matter other than a few vit/mineral supps.

DAY A

Meal 1: 8 Egg whites----C:0 F:0 P:28
    1/2 cup oats----C:27 F: 2.5 P:5

Meal 2: 5oz Chicken-----C:0 F: 5 P:35
    1/2 cup Rice----C:27 F: 1.5 P:5
    1 Cup Broccoli---C:6 F:0 P:0

Meal 3: 1 scoop Whey Isolate---C:0 F:0 P:25
    1 Scoop Waxy Maize----C: 30 F:0 P:0

Meal 4: 5oz Chicken---C:0 F: 5 P:35
    1 TBSP Olive Oil---C:0 F:16 P:0

Meal 5: 5oz Tilapia---C:0 F:0 P:33

Meal 6: 1 scoop Whey Isolate---C:0 F:0 P:25
    1 TBSP natural PB----C:6 F:15 P:6

CARBS: 108 FAT: 61 PRO: 197
    432kcal 21%/ 549kcals 31%/ 788Kcals45%= 1769KCALS

DAY B

Meal 2: 5oz Chicken---C:0 F: 5 P:35
    5oz Baked potato-- C:30 F:0 P:3.5

Meal 4: 5oz 90% Beef-----C:0 F:16 P:36
    1/2 Green Pepper--- C:7.5 F:0 P:1.5

2 cups Broccoli---C:12 F:0 P:0

Meal 6: 2 scoops Casein---C:10 F:4 P:50

CARBS:150 FAT: 28 PRO: 222
    598kcals 34%/ 252kcals 14%/ 888kcals 515% = 1738 KCALS

I used a calculator on Excel to get this and the numbers come from either Calorie King or some right from the box/package. So would you say day B you would keep the same fat content as Day A, but lower the carbs further? As I said I yielded some pretty good results last summer from this (obviously I tweaked it as I lost weight), but this is the original template I came up with. It started after reading an old thread about a cycle of energy sources and kind of Frankensteined it into this.

What would you change? I am not necessarily concerned about cycling energy sources, now that I have a hectic job, but rather a nice cut plan keeping things clean. Also I should add that I'd have to add about 3 more carbs to each total above as I throw some fresh parsley and Cilantro and a clove a fresh garlic into the mix.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by 24labor; 04-19-2012 at 11:05 PM.

csavage0 is offline Member
    I hardly read past your first statement, because I know the feeling (I did read the rest ). The question is, why do you wind up with the same look, and what is that look? At 6ft. 242lbs and 14% bodyfat, you must be huge... either that, or you're grossly underestimating your bodyfat. I'm by no means a big guy, but i'm 5'11 and around 193lbs @ 9% bodyfat in my avy... just as a point of reference. Do you have pics?

IF your stats are even close to accurate, then you are very likely undereating. ~208lbs of LBM? That's monstrous. I'd have your TDEE somewhere around 3000 calories... cutting at even 2000 is pretty damn low. I think you definitely need to up the calories... but again, this is assuming the stats are on point.

--- I had my body fat done under water weigh and bod pod they actually read 12% both of them. I guessed 15 bc I added 5 lbs after that and I know it wasn't good. I'll up the cal and how much cardio should be enough ? My end look isnt bad and usually the weight is a little bit higher but I still feel it can be better. Thanks for the input man anything you can give helps. Btw that's me currently in my avi. I know it's a terrible pic and just legs lol

akali is offline Junior Member
    in a cutting diet i never see Fruits is that because sugars are too high?

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member
    Hey GB. I currently take xtend pre/intra workout however i read somewhere that whey protein has the same effect for a fraction o the cost providing that the 2:1:1 ratio is there. And effectively all bcaas are is ultra refined whey. Any thoughts?

GB unless I throw in a couple of shakes I can't eat that much food in three meals 8 hours which sounds crazy to me too
    Right now eating at 1,5,9 o'clock
    8oz chick breast 2cups spinach 1 cup brown rice 3 fish oil
    8oz chick breast 2 cups broccoli 1/2 cup oats : fish oil
    8 oz salmon or chicken 2 cups spinach
    Throw in a cassein/whey blend in the middle still coming up short on protein by about 40 g
    if I stick to a 60/25/15 macro split.
    If I'm being a Punk just let me know if I gotta up the Protein at every meal I will or is the shake idea better?
    If you need to conveniently get in more protein, go with shakes, it's fine. You can have the shake(s) with your meals; no need to have them in between.

"I'm still kind of confused with your schedule lol! If you're doing IF, you can eat as little as a single meal, although I wouldn't personally do that. If you're training fasted (I did when I ran IF as well), eat a huge PWO meal, and then 1 or 2 smaller meals within the allotted feeding window - keep that window 8 hours or less. I did 3 meals within a 6-7 hour period. Note that if you can fast longer, your results may be better. Some guys fast for 20-21 hours and then have a very short 3-4 hour feeding window."

It confuses the s&$t outta me too! Basically I either work all day 7-7 or all night 7-7. 65% of the time I am doing fasted training at 7 am out of gym by 9am then don't eat til 1 that's where I am lost with pwo meal. Been taking BCAA after workout to sustain but not sure how beneficial that is or how much that's hurting. I am going to take you advice and minimize the feeding window and fast an hour or two longer
    What you're doing is fine. I trained fasted at 6am, got out of the gym at 8am, and didn't have my first meal (PWO meal) until 12pm. You don't need to be concerned with getting your PWO meal in ASAP. The only thing i'd change is to include BCAA's preworkout as well as PWO.

Just wanted to say GB, that it's been a while since I've frequented the boards and I'm gladto see there are some good guys giving quality advice to the members. Kudus!.
    Thanks bro!

I was interested in your replay and was going to post the original plan I wrote up last year to show you what I had going on as to perhaps get some ideas on some changes for my next cutting phase. I am currently at 177 around 18%BF. Looking to drop to 160. Not doing a show or anything and also not running any gear or supplements for that matter other than a few vit/mineral supps.

DAY A

1/2 cup oats----C:27 F: 2.5 P:5

Meal 2: 5oz Chicken-----C:0 F: 5 P:35

Meal 4: 5oz Chicken---C:0 F: 5 P:35

Meal 6: 1 scoop Whey Isolate---C:0 F:0 P:25
    1 TBSP natural PB----C:6 F:15 P:6

CARBS: 108 FAT: 61 PRO: 197
    432kcal 21%/ 549kcals 31%/ 788Kcals45%= 1769KCALS
    Nice, clean diet. I'd swap the whey in at least meal 6 for a protein blend however. I'm assuming meal 3 is PWO so it's ok there. Personally, I still use a blend even PWO, but that's up to you.

DAY B

Meal 2: 5oz Chicken---C:0 F: 5 P:35
    5oz Baked potato-- C:30 F:0 P:3.5

Meal 4: 5oz 90% Beef-----C:0 F:16 P:36
    1/2 Green Pepper--- C:7.5 F:0 P:1.5

2 cups Broccoli---C:12 F:0 P:0

Meal 6: 2 scoops Casein---C:10 F:4 P:50

CARBS:150 FAT: 28 PRO: 222
    598kcals 34%/ 252kcals 14%/ 888kcals 515% = 1738 KCALS
    How are these 2 days cycled? IMO, protein may be a tad low for both diets, and I don't like how low fat is in day B. I'd get that closer to 40g personally.

I used a calculator on Excel to get this and the numbers come from either Calorie King or some right from the box/package. So would you say day B you would keep the same fat content as Day A, but lower the carbs further? As I said I yielded some pretty good results last summer from this (obviously I tweaked it as I lost weight), but this is the original template I came up with. It started after reading an old thread about a cycle of energy sources and kind of Frankensteined it into this.

What would you change? I am not necessarily concerned about cycling energy sources, now that I have a hectic job, but rather a nice cut plan keeping things clean. Also I should add that I'd have to add about 3 more carbs to each total above as I throw some fresh parsley and Cilantro and a clove a fresh garlic into the mix.

Any advice would be appreciated
    I'd keep fats and protein the same, and cycle carbs. However, I still want to know how you currently cycle these 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by csavage0 View Post

--- I had my body fat done under water weigh and bod pod they actually read 12% both of them. I guessed 15 bc I added 5 lbs after that and I know it wasn't good. I'll up the cal and how much cardio should be enough ? My end look isnt bad and usually the weight is a little bit higher but I still feel it can be better. Thanks for the input man anything you can give helps. Btw that's me currently in my avi. I know it's a terrible pic and just legs lol
    Cardio - I do between 45 mins - 1 hour per day. Sometimes 2 sessions/day. It depends on the time available to you obviously. Mix it up with HIIT and moderate/steady state. Fasted cardio in the am may prove beneficial (moderate/steady state) with HIIT PWO.

Quote Originally Posted by akali View Post
    in a cutting diet i never see Fruits is that because sugars are too high?
    I use a small bit of fruit in my cutting diet, specifically, 1/2 a banana in my preworkout meal. But to answer your question - yes, I personally keep fruits to a minimum as my goal is to keep sugar intake as low as possible. If you do include fruit, keep it in meal 1 and/or pre/pwo where the fast energy will likely be put to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    Hey GB. I currently take xtend pre/intra workout however i read somewhere that whey protein has the same effect for a fraction o the cost providing that the 2:1:1 ratio is there. And effectively all bcaas are is ultra refined whey. Any thoughts?
    Xtend et al. are BCAA supplements. Amino Acids make up protein, so yes... whey protein and any other complete source will contain these same BCAA's. Generally, or at least in my case, I use BCAA's when I am fasted but want to aid muscle preservation. You will get a very small amount of calories with taking straight BCAA's, whereas if you were to have a whey shake (or any protein source) you'd get many more, effectively breaking your fast. Technically, BCAA's break a fast too, but sometimes we pick the lesser of 2 evils. BCAA's are NOT ultra refined whey; BCAA's are isolated Branched Chain Amino Acids - they have no more relation to whey than they to do any other complete protein source.

Nice, clean diet. I'd swap the whey in at least meal 6 for a protein blend however. I'm assuming meal 3 is PWO so it's ok there. Personally, I still use a blend even PWO, but that's up to you.
    How are these 2 days cycled? IMO, protein may be a tad low for both diets, and I don't like how low fat is in day B. I'd get that closer to 40g personally.

I'd keep fats and protein the same, and cycle carbs. However, I still want to know how you currently cycle these 2 days.
    I was doing just every other day so A on Monday, B on Tuesday etc. nothing too dramatic other then daily swaps.

So the Protein could get a bump in both plans and you would suggest upping the fat in PLan B and dropping the carbs to compensate for the Kcals essentially making that a low carb day?

GB thanks for everything really helped me straighten things out, think twice about that sabbatical brother you're makin a difference in people's lives

I was doing just every other day so A on Monday, B on Tuesday etc. nothing too dramatic other then daily swaps.

So the Protein could get a bump in both plans and you would suggest upping the fat in PLan B and dropping the carbs to compensate for the Kcals essentially making that a low carb day?
    I see no real benefit or point in doing what you are/were doing with regards to every other day. What is the rationale? I'm asking because I don't want to give you bad advice until I understand what you are/were hoping to accomplish with that plan.

GB thanks for everything really helped me straighten things out, think twice about that sabbatical brother you're makin a difference in people's lives
    Thanks man, that means a lot! I'm still around for the time being, just in limited fashion.

I see no real benefit or point in doing what you are/were doing with regards to every other day. What is the rationale? I'm asking because I don't want to give you bad advice until I understand what you are/were hoping to accomplish with that plan.

Honestly, I had talked with a guy from the gym who had won a few competitions and suggested something along these lines talking about changing the fat content and carbs every other as to have the body use once type of fuel source predominantly for each day in order to engage fat burning more often. At the time I was in a huge rut so I thought I would give this a try to a degree, then began traveling so never actually ran it by the right people. As i said I did have some decent results, but I know there was something missing/ needed to be added for the best results.

I'm interested in how you would cycle the carbs. Would you have a lower carb plam similar to my A day for a period of time, then a higher day to shock glycogen storages? If so would you compensate for the Kcals, but reducing the fat moderately? Personally I'm not looking to do this again per-say, just wanted to run it by someone. As I said I do like the sound of your carb cycling and would like to get a little more info on such and perhaps give that a try
    Last edited by 24labor; 04-20-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Thread Information