Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for the bcaa explanation bro. The guys arguement was basically that bcaa's are effectively a waste of money for intra workout as whey (iso in particular) does much the same thing for a cheaper cost per serving albeit with a few extra cals.

daninho777 is offline New Member
    Hey GB, posted my carb cycling diet if you wanna take a look at it.

akali is offline Junior Member
    few questions regarding more so cutting information, i am currently following a strict diet with macros dialed in, my question is it good to have bcaas during my workouts some contain sugars, and say if i am broke for a few days and run out of bcaa's gatorade during a workout good or stick to just water then protein PWO ?

also i drink green almost all day long i love it ( i drink it black ) is that good too do on top of my macros?

and one other thing is it truely nessecary to cheat every now and then? i know some men who never slip on their diets and then i read the cutting thread and it was saying cheating is essential

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by 24labor View Post
    Honestly, I had talked with a guy from the gym who had won a few competitions and suggested something along these lines talking about changing the fat content and carbs every other as to have the body use once type of fuel source predominantly for each day in order to engage fat burning more often. At the time I was in a huge rut so I thought I would give this a try to a degree, then began traveling so never actually ran it by the right people. As i said I did have some decent results, but I know there was something missing/ needed to be added for the best results.

I'm interested in how you would cycle the carbs. Would you have a lower carb plam similar to my A day for a period of time, then a higher day to shock glycogen storages? If so would you compensate for the Kcals, but reducing the fat moderately? Personally I'm not looking to do this again per-say, just wanted to run it by someone. As I said I do like the sound of your carb cycling and would like to get a little more info on such and perhaps give that a try
    In all fairness to the guy who gave you the advice, I've never done it that way so of course i cannot claim it's a bad plan. I'm just saying I can't really see anything about it that would assist in fat loss beyond a caloric deficit, regardless of macros changing. But hey, you got results with it and that's what counts!

What I'm doing right now (and have done before with great success) is cycling carbs with 3 moderate days (moderate for me is about 100g, so 'moderate' is a relative term), 3 no carb days (fibrous veggies only), and a single high carb/refeed (about 250g for me). It's a plan Narkissos put me on a year ago and for me, it just clicks. 3 days of keeping glycogen stores level, heavy/intense workouts, followed by 3 days of glycogen depletion, then a single refeed day to restore glycogen and start over again. To me, it's the best of both worlds - fat loss without the worry of losing LBM and strength gains (quite the opposite - I increased strength on almost every lift).

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    Thanks for the bcaa explanation bro. The guys arguement was basically that bcaa's are effectively a waste of money for intra workout as whey (iso in particular) does much the same thing for a cheaper cost per serving albeit with a few extra cals.
    Well, when you put it that way, for the most part, he's right IMO. The amino's in whey will be broken down and assimilated very quickly, and whey is undoubtedly cheaper than BCAA supplements. I'd argue that you're getting more than a 'few' calories, however unless you're specifically trying to stay fasted, then this shouldn't really matter as long as you're figuring them into your daily needs.

Quote Originally Posted by daninho777 View Post
    Hey GB, posted my carb cycling diet if you wanna take a look at it.
    Will have a look asap D!

Quote Originally Posted by akali View Post
    few questions regarding more so cutting information, i am currently following a strict diet with macros dialed in, my question is it good to have bcaas during my workouts some contain sugars, and say if i am broke for a few days and run out of bcaa's gatorade during a workout good or stick to just water then protein PWO ?
    I'm not sure I understand the question or issue here. BCAA's are fine during your workout, but if you're eating a good preworkout meal, they're certainly not necessary. I'm not getting your correlation between gatorade and BCAA's... what am i missing?

also i drink green almost all day long i love it ( i drink it black ) is that good too do on top of my macros?
    Green what - tea?

and one other thing is it truely nessecary to cheat every now and then? i know some men who never slip on their diets and then i read the cutting thread and it was saying cheating is essential
    Cheating is essential? It wasn't my cutting thread you read that in!!

No, it's not necessary - from a physical standpoint. I guess it depends on what you consider cheating. If you're on a strict cut diet with a decent caloric deficit, then yes, I believe you should have at least 1 meal a week that's outside the scope of that diet plan - however it doesn't have to be McDonald's and ice cream... it could be a huge steak and potatoes, etc. The point here being to give your body a 'break', or as you probably read it, to "shock your metabolism".

Cheating and binge eating are the basis of bad eating habits that a lot of us (me included) have. From a mental standpoint, if having a cheat meal (MEAL, not cheat day) once a week helps you with your sanity (because let's face it, cutting is no fun, it's dreadful) and helps you stay focused, then by all means do it.

Green tea is what i meant yes!. what i meant about gatorade because of the sugar in corelation to Bcaa's , is that i watched the nutritional videos by i think milos sarcov and in his videos he mentioned that our bodies need sugar from depleting out muscles from working out either during or right after a workout. So i was just wondering if Bcaa's were good to take for that purpose. and if i were to run out of bcaa's ( its a supplement after all ) could i drink gatorade to help my sugar levels during a workout or stick to Pre And PWO meals only and forego the gatorade.
    and regards to the cheating thanks somes it up for me, i would much rather skip the cheat meals a week and every second or third week maybe have a tiny bit of bbq sauce on a steak or something on the bbq rather then eating plain all the time.
    thanks for the replies, Cheers

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    In all fairness to the guy who gave you the advice, I've never done it that way so of course i cannot claim it's a bad plan. I'm just saying I can't really see anything about it that would assist in fat loss beyond a caloric deficit, regardless of macros changing. But hey, you got results with it and that's what counts!

What I'm doing right now (and have done before with great success) is cycling carbs with 3 moderate days (moderate for me is about 100g, so 'moderate' is a relative term), 3 no carb days (fibrous veggies only), and a single high carb/refeed (about 250g for me). It's a plan Narkissos put me on a year ago and for me, it just clicks. 3 days of keeping glycogen stores level, heavy/intense workouts, followed by 3 days of glycogen depletion, then a single refeed day to restore glycogen and start over again. To me, it's the best of both worlds - fat loss without the worry of losing LBM and strength gains (quite the opposite - I increased strength on almost every lift).

Hope this helps.

Sounds interesting. So would you say a 40/40/20 would be adequate for three moderate days? If so what would your ratios be for the refeed day?

BTW this is something more along the lines of what I had wanted to do last year. This guy also suggested a similar veggie only day every other third day once I got to a certain stage, but never really got to it when the move came

Green tea is what i meant yes!. what i meant about gatorade because of the sugar in corelation to Bcaa's , is that i watched the nutritional videos by i think milos sarcov and in his videos he mentioned that our bodies need sugar from depleting out muscles from working out either during or right after a workout. So i was just wondering if Bcaa's were good to take for that purpose. and if i were to run out of bcaa's ( its a supplement after all ) could i drink gatorade to help my sugar levels during a workout or stick to Pre And PWO meals only and forego the gatorade.
    and regards to the cheating thanks somes it up for me, i would much rather skip the cheat meals a week and every second or third week maybe have a tiny bit of bbq sauce on a steak or something on the bbq rather then eating plain all the time.
    thanks for the replies, Cheers
    BCAA's have nothing to do with sugar. BCAA's are Branched Chain Amino Acids. Amino Acids make up proteins. Sugar is a carbohydrate. BCAA's and gatorade are not interchangeable.

PS - much respect to Milos, the videos are generally great, but the idea that you 'need' sugar PWO is a near obsolete 90's trend. A lot of us here including me stick with complex carbs even PWO, with the possible exception of a bit of fruit.

Sounds interesting. So would you say a 40/40/20 would be adequate for three moderate days? If so what would your ratios be for the refeed day?

BTW this is something more along the lines of what I had wanted to do last year. This guy also suggested a similar veggie only day every other third day once I got to a certain stage, but never really got to it when the move came
    It really depends on your caloric needs. If you're eating 3000 calories, then I wouldn't call 300g of carbs (40%) moderate - i'd call that 'on the high side'. If you're eating in the 2000 calorie range like I am, you'd be looking at 200g. As I mentioned, my HIGH day was 250g, so you can see where this is going.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member

It really depends on your caloric needs. If you're eating 3000 calories, then I wouldn't call 300g of carbs (40%) moderate - i'd call that 'on the high side'. If you're eating in the 2000 calorie range like I am, you'd be looking at 200g. As I mentioned, my HIGH day was 250g, so you can see where this is going.
    Got it. kcal wise my TDEE was- 2066 after subtracting 500 off the total(2566) so following that mathematically the macros would be:

205 Carbs= 820Kcals= 40%
    36 Fat= 324 Kcals= 16%
    230 Pro= 920KCals= 45%

That look correct as to the moderate day for carbs? I thought the carbs may be a little high, If so how do your three days of veggies only and re-feed day look macros/Kcals change total wise.

Let me ask you honestly, it's been over a year since I've really done any kind of dieting. Would you think a classic cut plan would be the way to go and tweak it as I go? I do like the sound of the carb cycle and am down to try it, but just wanted to get a feel from a guru.
    Last edited by 24labor; 04-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.

johnyz333 is offline Junior Member
    Hey GB hope all is well. A couple of questions;

- I'm about to start carb cycling as my gains have slowed down after 8 weeks of dieting. I think the carb cycling might give me that extra edge in cutting. So I have worked out my low moderate and high days, but what do I do about my cheat meal? I need that cheat meal for sanity, but more so to save my marriage! Lol. What day do u reccomend I have it on, high day? It's a tricky one, cause on my high day I will be eating 280gm carbs. Will it work if my cheat meal consisted of half that carb amount? Does it matter on the carb source? I need bread in my cheat meal..

- straight after the gym I have a shake; 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop protein blend. I then eat an hour after this which always includes about 40gm carbs. Is the shake straight after training necessary or can I cut that out?

- for the last 8 weeks my carbs have only come from oats, sweet potatoes, and brown rice. Understanding these are the best carbs to eat, can you reccomend any substitutes as I'm quite bored with them.

BTW you originally assisted me with my diet and has worked wonders. Started 25% BF, down to 13% at the moment. 8 weeks total. Gains have slowed down these last couple of weeks though.

Anyhow thanks again, your time is much appreciated.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    GB, i have been pretty much at a stale mate with this IF diet, been doing it since Jan and love it, but it seems that i cannot get past this 175-176lb mark. do you think reverting back to a more meals approach will throw my body out of whack, potentially sparking something? or would it make my body want to store more since i have been fasting for 14-16hours everyday? thanks bro, hope lil matty and the rest of the fam is doing well bud!

Got it. kcal wise my TDEE was- 2066 after subtracting 500 off the total(2566) so following that mathematically the macros would be:

205 Carbs= 820Kcals= 40%
    36 Fat= 324 Kcals= 16%
    230 Pro= 920KCals= 45%

That look correct as to the moderate day for carbs? I thought the carbs may be a little high, If so how do your three days of veggies only and re-feed day look macros/Kcals change total wise.
    Personally, I don't consider 40% of the diet coming from carbs moderate. I'd probably bump protein a tad, fat as well.. upwards of 45g of fat and reduce the carbs on these days. 150g or less. Again, what you laid out may work well for you; for me, it's too high.

Let me ask you honestly, it's been over a year since I've really done any kind of dieting. Would you think a classic cut plan would be the way to go and tweak it as I go? I do like the sound of the carb cycle and am down to try it, but just wanted to get a feel from a guru.
    I'm no guru, but i'll help with what I can!

It depends on how you are with food. I get extremely bored and depressed with the same old thing day in and day out. No change for weeks on end. Carb cycling helps with that a great deal. My diet changes every few days. Yes, I have to go through 3 tough days (no carbs), but that gets rewarded by a high carb day where I get to let loose a little bit. I also feel carb cycling is superior to a standard calorie restricted diet, because while a caloric deficit is most important, you have the added benefits of depleting glycogen and burning more bodyfat, and also the refeed to help maintain (or dare I say, on that day, ADD?) lean body mass. IMO, carb cycling is the way to go. Not to digress, but IMO this also proves that macro timing DOES have bearing on overall results. We're interested in burning bodyfat, not haphazard calories.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyz333 View Post
    Hey GB hope all is well. A couple of questions;

- I'm about to start carb cycling as my gains have slowed down after 8 weeks of dieting. I think the carb cycling might give me that extra edge in cutting. So I have worked out my low moderate and high days, but what do I do about my cheat meal? I need that cheat meal for sanity, but more so to save my marriage! Lol. What day do u reccomend I have it on, high day? It's a tricky one, cause on my high day I will be eating 280gm carbs. Will it work if my cheat meal consisted of half that carb amount? Does it matter on the carb source? I need bread in my cheat meal..
    I would definitely have my cheat meal on the high carb day. It just makes sense. 9 times out of 10, you will already be in a caloric surplus that day anyway. Hopefully you have strategically planned your workouts so that the high carb day is followed by one of if not THE most intense of your workout days (legs?), allowing you to benefit at least to some extent from all the extra calories from the day before.

- straight after the gym I have a shake; 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop protein blend. I then eat an hour after this which always includes about 40gm carbs. Is the shake straight after training necessary or can I cut that out?
    It's definitely not necessary IMO. However, we're talking upwards of 50g of protein (2 scoops), so make sure if you cut the shake out, you are accounting for that lost protein somewhere else. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to cut the shake out? I look forward to mine.

- for the last 8 weeks my carbs have only come from oats, sweet potatoes, and brown rice. Understanding these are the best carbs to eat, can you reccomend any substitutes as I'm quite bored with them.
    Assuming you want to continue to eat clean carbs: Quinoa, Lentils/Beans, Grits/Farina. The following aren't necessarily unclean, but I wouldn't make them staples in a cutting diet (i.e. have them a couple times a week to keep things from getting stale): Red/White potatoes, any type of rice (jasime, basmati, white, etc), brown breads or pasta.

BTW you originally assisted me with my diet and has worked wonders. Started 25% BF, down to 13% at the moment. 8 weeks total. Gains have slowed down these last couple of weeks though.

Anyhow thanks again, your time is much appreciated.
    That's fvcking amazing bro, congrats!!! You made it happen... no way anybody's going from 25 percent to 13% in 8 weeks without complete dedication and discipline, so kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    GB, i have been pretty much at a stale mate with this IF diet, been doing it since Jan and love it, but it seems that i cannot get past this 175-176lb mark. do you think reverting back to a more meals approach will throw my body out of whack, potentially sparking something? or would it make my body want to store more since i have been fasting for 14-16hours everyday? thanks bro, hope lil matty and the rest of the fam is doing well bud!
    Remind me... are you trying to get above or below 175-176? i.e. are you cutting, or trying to add mass? In either case, we'd likely need to look into other factors before meal frequency. Total calories, macro split, carb timing, workout routine in relation to your diet schedule, etc.

Everybody is doing great, thanks for asking! The boy is actually 7 mos. today, I can't believe it! Love him to pieces!!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    cutting. and i know what i need to do, just need reminding sometimes!

question:
    I love energy drinks but havent had one in a long time now, i am also on a cutting diet, is it okay to have a Monster Energy Absolutely ZERO energy drink every now and then? it has 0 sugar, 0 carbs, 0 fats, etc. Or should it be advoided at all costs?
    Also I am hooked on black coffee that okay to consume 2-3 cups a day?
    thanks

I don't know what else is in it, but if it's zero carbs/calories, it's fine. It's likely just a bunch of vitamins and/or herbal compounds, no harm there in terms of cutting.

Thanks GB for answering my questions above, your the man GB!

^^ you're welcome!

tote33 is offline New Member
    Hey GB, sorry if this has already been answered (I have spent about an hour reading through the posts and haven't seen it), but what is your opinion on intermittent fasting diets? There is a ton of info on leangains dotcom that looks well thought out, but I'm wondering what an expert's thoughts are on the matter. Thanks!

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    What an awesome thread becuase I have lots of questions. I am trying to stay away from bread all together. Whether its whole wheat or multi grain I cut it out of my diet. I have read red potatoes are not a bad carb. Would eating a small red potatoe with a meal once a day be a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by tote33 View Post
    Hey GB, sorry if this has already been answered (I have spent about an hour reading through the posts and haven't seen it), but what is your opinion on intermittent fasting diets? There is a ton of info on leangains dotcom that looks well thought out, but I'm wondering what an expert's thoughts are on the matter. Thanks!
    I'm a big fan of IF, specifically the Leangains approach. I ran the diet for a while last year, although I didn't log my progress at the time. However, I did start a thread prior to get some feedback, see below:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...nce-here-*-*-*

Quote Originally Posted by Rwy2778 View Post
    What an awesome thread becuase I have lots of questions.
    Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

I am trying to stay away from bread all together. Whether its whole wheat or multi grain I cut it out of my diet. I have read red potatoes are not a bad carb. Would eating a small red potatoe with a meal once a day be a bad idea?
    If you have them factored in to your daily carb allowance? Not at all.

LLCBean is offline New Member
    Hey man thanks for doing this, sorry if you have already answered this but what do u take before your fasted cardio? you mentioned BCAA's but what type/quantity do you think is best?

And in terms of HIIT at night (Aiming for 30min but probably gonna have to work my way back up there, sprinting 100m, walking 100m, light jog 50m, sprinting 100m...) , should I just eat my regularly schedule meal or add extra carbs b4? (I cut down on carbs at night)

And should HIIT be performed on the same day as a workout or just 30minutes of jogging at night? (on non-workout days i plan on doing fasted cardio)

If you have the time, can you please take a look at my diet (revised one lower down in the thread) and let me know if I am headed in the right direction. (I know you probably get asked to do this multiple times on a daily basis lol)

(It wont let me post direct link since im under 25posts lol)

forums.steroid .com/showthread.php?500038-****-llcbean-progress-log-****#.T6LG3Ogx6z5
    Last edited by LLCBean; 05-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLCBean View Post
    Hey man thanks for doing this, sorry if you have already answered this but what do u take before your fasted cardio? you mentioned BCAA's but what type/quantity do you think is best?
    Usually Purple Wraath by Controlled Labs. However, I've also used Xtend. Both are fine. I like PW because of the little kick from the added beta alanine! I always take 10g/2 scoops prior to fasted cardio

And in terms of HIIT at night (Aiming for 30min but probably gonna have to work my way back up there, sprinting 100m, walking 100m, light jog 50m, sprinting 100m...) , should I just eat my regularly schedule meal or add extra carbs b4? (I cut down on carbs at night)
    What does your regularly scheduled meal consist of?

And should HIIT be performed on the same day as a workout or just 30minutes of jogging at night? (on non-workout days i plan on doing fasted cardio)
    I wouldn't do HIIT fasted tbh. I'd stick with moderate intensity fasted steady-state cardio on non workout days, HIIT PWO in a fed state (pre workout meal, hopefully containing carbs)

If you have the time, can you please take a look at my diet (revised one lower down in the thread) and let me know if I am headed in the right direction. (I know you probably get asked to do this multiple times on a daily basis lol)
    I'll try and take a look. In the meantime, there are other good guys here who will definitely get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks man and ya wont be doing any fasted HIIT and gonna give Purple Wraath a shot. Do you also take creatine? If so how much? (i thought most BCAA's had some in it but Purple Wraath apparently doesn't)

Im looking to bulk and my diet is still a work in progress since ive never counted macros before but im going to try. My supper is going to be a chicken bacon salad (the rest of my meals are healthier lol).

Im going to adjust my diet as I go since I am somewhat of a hardgainer (22years old/174pounds/6foot/around 15% bf) and not sure what my maintenance so just gonna make sure to keep track of everything i do and figure out what works for me.

Thanks man and ya wont be doing any fasted HIIT and gonna give Purple Wraath a shot. Do you also take creatine? If so how much? (i thought most BCAA's had some in it but Purple Wraath apparently doesn't)

Im looking to bulk and my diet is still a work in progress since ive never counted macros before but im going to try. My supper is going to be a chicken bacon salad (the rest of my meals are healthier lol).

Im going to adjust my diet as I go since I am somewhat of a hardgainer (22years old/174pounds/6foot/around 15% bf) and not sure what my maintenance so just gonna make sure to keep track of everything i do and figure out what works for me.
    I don't take creatine, to me, it's not a necessary supplement (i'm not saying it'll hurt either however). I eat a good deal of beef which is naturally high in creatine to begin with.

Re: your plans.. personally i'd reconsider bulking at 15% bodyfat. Are you sure you're 15%? At your height and weight, i'm picturing 'skinny-fat' ... am I off base?

ya its a really rough estimate but here are some pics, u b the judge. (agree with the skinny fatman since i used to be lean and somewhat muscular but injuries/life caused me to neglect the gym but i stayed active with sports)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-imag0060.jpg   ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **-imag0059.jpg  

It's hard to say, you're a tough one lol! Forgetting about numbers and just going strictly by looks - I don't think it would take you very long to look lean. I'm talking about an appreciable 4-pack at least. 3 months tops, as long as you're dedicated. I think your bulk will be much more productive if you start off leaner, then you won't be fighting bodyfat on top of bodyfat. I don't think you're 15%, but you look it due to lack of muscular development (no offense). Just my assesment Even still, the leaner the better when you start to bulk - and that's also why I said I don't think you'll take long to LOOK lean vs. get lean.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but something to consider.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    GB you think you could pop in and shoot me a number on my current bf%?
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...F#.T6LkquN5nTo

Done!

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Thanks! Took a long time to actually stick to a diet but just kept reading till I figured it out.

I have heard in terms of fat loss to drink lemon water flat out because lemon is a natural cutting agent, is this Bullsh*t? I also heard stay away from all fruit, and lemon is a fruit! Thanks GB youre aweomse

tote33 is offline New Member
    Thanks GB! The research on both the forums and leangains looks too solid to pass up!

I have heard in terms of fat loss to drink lemon water flat out because lemon is a natural cutting agent, is this Bullsh*t? I also heard stay away from all fruit, and lemon is a fruit! Thanks GB youre aweomse
    I haven't heard of lemon being a cutting agent... I can't imagine what in a lemon could help with bodyfat reduction. Citric acid? I don't think so. Maybe i'm wrong, would love to see some research on this, but sounds like horse shit to me, sorry!

I don't stay away from all fruit even when cutting, but I do try to consume a very small amount only, and at an ideal time, such as pre or pwo. The idea is to keep sugar intake as low as possible, and at the end of the day, any way you slice it, fruit = sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by tote33 View Post
    Thanks GB! The research on both the forums and leangains looks too solid to pass up!
    Agreed!

It's hard to say, you're a tough one lol! Forgetting about numbers and just going strictly by looks - I don't think it would take you very long to look lean. I'm talking about an appreciable 4-pack at least. 3 months tops, as long as you're dedicated. I think your bulk will be much more productive if you start off leaner, then you won't be fighting bodyfat on top of bodyfat. I don't think you're 15%, but you look it due to lack of muscular development (no offense). Just my assesment Even still, the leaner the better when you start to bulk - and that's also why I said I don't think you'll take long to LOOK lean vs. get lean.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but something to consider.
    Thanks man and no offense taken, i am a pinner bitch lol and thats why i wanted to bulk up first but after reading up on it a bit more, id rather my bulking up phase be as effective as possible and so im gonna try and get rid of some of that fat but since i don't know what my maintenance is so gonna give it a shot at around 2000cals/day (im thinking my maintenance is about 2500 (maybe more) based on me eating pretty much everything indiscriminately and still being the same weight for the last 3years).

Im gonna try and get an accurate BF% but til then calculating my LBM and TDEE to get my maintenance seems like a waste of time.

I was interested in going straight into carb or cal cycling but it seems that people are opposed to it unless your body fat is < 15%, so does that mean you wouldn't recommend it for me while cutting?

I was interested in going straight into carb or cal cycling but it seems that people are opposed to it unless your body fat is < 15%, so does that mean you wouldn't recommend it for me while cutting?
    Where do you get that impression?

I would recommend it to anybody, IMO it's the smartest and most efficient way to cut while preserving LBM.

Hey GB. I have been reading about IF recently and am quite intrigued by the concept. Correct me if I'm wrong but basically, you train in a fasted state and have your first meal around 1pm. From then on in you have an 8 hr window to consume your calories for the day. The first meal being the biggest meal. Is this IF in a nutshell?

^^ no... lol! You don't have to train fasted, your first meal depends on when you fast, and the feeding window can be UP TO 8 hours, but less is ok (and arguably better).

There are many different variations of IF. I'm a fan of Martin Berkhan's approach. Check out leangains dot com to really get a feel for it.

Rwy
    Can I have whole wheat bagel a couple of times a week as long as it is within my macros for the day?

Today was day 2 of counting everything out and knowing exactly what I consumed.

Just curious if I could have a whole wheat bagel with a tblspoon of smart balance lite in the morning with my shake instead of oats every day

Can I have whole wheat bagel a couple of times a week as long as it is within my macros for the day?

Just curious if I could have a whole wheat bagel with a tblspoon of smart balance lite in the morning with my shake instead of oats every day
    If you asked me this 2 years ago I would have said "no way!". But our opinions change, as new info becomes available to us. Today, I say - go for it.

duplicate post
    Last edited by gbrice75; 05-09-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: duplicate

Rwy
    Thanks!

I do scoop it out, but I am a pretty picky eater. So a shake and oats every morning gets old real fast

Thanks!

I do scoop it out, but I am a pretty picky eater. So a shake and oats every morning gets old real fast
    I'm picky too. Ironically, shakes and oats are one of the few foods I never get sick of. Right now, I don't think I can even go close to a piece of grilled chicken breast unless it's smothered with some kind of fattening sauce or dipped in the same.

Thread Information