Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

jpowell is offline Banned
    gb, wats happening brudder?

basic question on carb cycling. I'm currently setting up a diet, carb cycle, gonna do high, moderate, and low days.
    plan on eating six meals.
    do u rec i split carbs at just 3 meals (break, pre/post workout)--or should i have them in all 6 meals?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell View Post
    gb, wats happening brudder?

basic question on carb cycling. I'm currently setting up a diet, carb cycle, gonna do high, moderate, and low days.
    plan on eating six meals.
    do u rec i split carbs at just 3 meals (break, pre/post workout)--or should i have them in all 6 meals?
    Assuming your goal is to cut bodyfat... I'd definitely do carbs in 3 meals, not 6. Take in energy when your body requires it, not when it doesn't. This is why macro timing IS significant, IMO.

yea def plan on cutting. been talking to 405 a currently in the process of building up a solid diet based off carb cycling. high, low, and none. lol its hard b/c macro split is tough. I hit the protein but not carbs and over in fats, and when i hit the carbs, I'm low in protein and still over in fats lol. but I'm hungry, hungry for results.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

I've read this article, and this is where the idea/structure has come from. I mean seriously, 405, such the considerate guy he is dammned near mapped everything out for me.

but i just also want a second opinion/thoughts on a few questions that arose..

its recommended to have small amount of fruit (50-100g) at 4of6 meals on high carb days, 3of6 on low carb days, and 0of6 on no days?
    its recommended to have carbs 4of6 on high carb days, 3of6 on low carb days 0of6 except from green veggies on no carb days?
    is hot sauce ok?

thanks again bro

its recommended to have small amount of fruit (50-100g) at 4of6 meals on high carb days, 3of6 on low carb days, and 0of6 on no days?
    I wouldn't recommend that. If you want to have some fruit on your carb days, have a small amount in the am, and or pre/pwo. I wouldn't do all 3 however.

its recommended to have carbs 4of6 on high carb days, 3of6 on low carb days 0of6 except from green veggies on no carb days?
    is hot sauce ok?

thanks again bro
    I'm not sure if you're telling me what IS recommended, or asking if I recommend it?? To answer, I have to assume the latter obviously. I have carbs in 5 of 6 meals on my single high carb day, 3 of 6 on my moderate (I guess what you're calling low) carb day, and no starchy carbs at all on my no carb days.

Hot sauce is fine.

gb, when u get a chance, stroll over to my thread and check out my carb cycle lemme no what you think. i think its pretty solid, but ima novice compared to urself.

akali is offline Junior Member
    hey GB has a quick question was wondering your opinion. Basically i am wanting to make some homemade jerky for snacks just to change up my protein sources, i use only garlic,black pepper and some Ms.Dash ( because its 0g's of everything ! lol ) as my spices, but i am wondering if you could tell me if the cholesterol of Moose would be a concern. I have moose here in my freezer, a few roasts which i havent used and i wanted to make jerky out of basically. According to calorie counter it says per 8 oz of cooked moose it is 176mg of cholesterol(59%) daily intake appearently. but also 65g protein, 2g fat,0.0g carbs. Would the cholesterol impact me much? i am on a cutting diet and seeking clean protein alternatives.

gb, when u get a chance, stroll over to my thread and check out my carb cycle lemme no what you think. i think its pretty solid, but ima novice compared to urself.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by akali View Post
    hey GB has a quick question was wondering your opinion. Basically i am wanting to make some homemade jerky for snacks just to change up my protein sources, i use only garlic,black pepper and some Ms.Dash ( because its 0g's of everything ! lol ) as my spices, but i am wondering if you could tell me if the cholesterol of Moose would be a concern. I have moose here in my freezer, a few roasts which i havent used and i wanted to make jerky out of basically. According to calorie counter it says per 8 oz of cooked moose it is 176mg of cholesterol(59%) daily intake appearently. but also 65g protein, 2g fat,0.0g carbs. Would the cholesterol impact me much? i am on a cutting diet and seeking clean protein alternatives.
    I'm not a qualified nutritionist and don't want to offer you bad advice, so take this with a grain of salt. We know too much cholesterol in the diet isn't good. If you were planning to eat moose as a primary protein source day in and day out, 7 days a week, i'd say you have a problem. However, I doubt this is the case. Even if you had it once per day, I wouldn't be concerned personally. People are always worried about the cholesterol in egg yolks yet there are some who eat a dozen/day and their cholesterol levels are fine.

This is my opinion. You should definitely seek further advice from somebody better qualified with regards to cholesterol inquiries.

Mwaku is offline Junior Member
    opinions on starting ur day/brekkie with a pro gainer shake (650 calories) as some morning i wake up too late and gotta rush outta the house.

good/bad/meh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mwaku View Post
    opinions on starting ur day/brekkie with a pro gainer shake (650 calories) as some morning i wake up too late and gotta rush outta the house.

good/bad/meh?
    Not my cup of tea. Most if not all gainer shakes I've seen are loaded with sugar and fat, 'filler' carbs, and a bunch of crap neither of us can pronounce. Either:

a) Be disciplined enough to get up earlier to allow time to prepare, eat, and actually ENJOY your breakfast, or

b) make your own 'gainer' shake. Play with the ingredients and you can come up with a delicious, nutritious CLEAN calorie shake:

protein powders
    oats
    cottage cheese
    liquid egg whites
    natty PB
    water/almond milk
    crushed ice
    splenda/stevia

Plenty of other things you can throw in there too, blend up and enjoy.

MrMayhem is offline Associate Member
    HEEY, so far, I've read most of this thread Like I said in another post... I learn a lot from you. Much respect. Im wondering.... Got my diet down (mostly), I know I pretty good amount about supplementing and how to use different supps and all. Im 21 (was 18ish in my avi pic), 5'9" 12%-14% body fat and 260lbs.
    Im wondering what my calories should be at, to just maintain? Normally, I get 5000-7000 calories on most days. I eat 6 to 8 meals. Do 3 to 5 shakes a day. Use the animal pak twice a day for multi-V. Take 1000mg of fish oil 3 times daily. lift 5 days a week. Cardio 3-6 times a week, depending... right now, no cardio. I drink close to 2 gallons of water daily. Love juices. I havent been counting carbs lately, Im sure its a rediculous amount right now.
    I think thats about all my basic info. So as I said, I'm wondering what my calories need to be at to just maintain my weight and percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcmahanjr View Post
    HEEY, so far, I've read most of this thread Like I said in another post... I learn a lot from you. Much respect. Im wondering.... Got my diet down (mostly), I know I pretty good amount about supplementing and how to use different supps and all. Im 21 (was 18ish in my avi pic), 5'9" 12%-14% body fat and 260lbs.
    Im wondering what my calories should be at, to just maintain? Normally, I get 5000-7000 calories on most days. I eat 6 to 8 meals. Do 3 to 5 shakes a day. Use the animal pak twice a day for multi-V. Take 1000mg of fish oil 3 times daily. lift 5 days a week. Cardio 3-6 times a week, depending... right now, no cardio. I drink close to 2 gallons of water daily. Love juices. I havent been counting carbs lately, Im sure its a rediculous amount right now.
    I think thats about all my basic info. So as I said, I'm wondering what my calories need to be at to just maintain my weight and percentage?
    Thanks man!

5'9, 260lbs and 12-14%??? Dude, please post a pic... you've gotta be a fvcking MONSTER. Hazard (one of the other mods) is 6'1 or 6'2 at around 255lbs and a fvcking beast (look him up and check his avy) so if you're numbers are even close to accurate, I can't imagine what you look like - and I need to see it!

Based on your numbers (I went with 14% bodyfat) I'd put you somewhere in the 3500 calorie range to maintain. It's a very crude estimate based on very simple math, so take it with a grain of salt. It'd be a good starting point at best; you'd likely need to adjust +/- from there.

Pics asap pls!!

MrMayhem is offline Associate Member
    Pix soon as I can lol I promise. Thanks, thats was all I needed, just a good starting point.
    THanks again.

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    sup, just wondering if my diet should be the same on off days

currently eating a 40/40/20 diet. anything i would change on an off day?

Probably... but without any info beyond you eating a 40/40/20 diet, i'm not sure what you would think I could comment on...??

akali is offline Junior Member
    sucralose in a cutting diet, is it a bad thing? i do enjoy sometimes sparkling water, or another drink of something similar which states 0g sugar, 0g carb, 0g, etc I have read mixed reviews such as sucralose isn't processed by the body therefore theres nothing to worry about that you'll just pea it out. Also i read that it causes insulin spikes which is good i know, but with everyone saying different i wanted to get your standpoint because you seem very knowledgeable of course! Thanks my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by akali View Post
    sucralose in a cutting diet, is it a bad thing? i do enjoy sometimes sparkling water, or another drink of something similar which states 0g sugar, 0g carb, 0g, etc I have read mixed reviews such as sucralose isn't processed by the body therefore theres nothing to worry about that you'll just pea it out. Also i read that it causes insulin spikes which is good i know, but with everyone saying different i wanted to get your standpoint because you seem very knowledgeable of course! Thanks my friend.
    Thanks man. I wish I had the answer to this one! Like you, i've read and heard both sides of this. What I really need to do is run my own BGL / insulin tests in a fasted state. I'll check both prior to eating sucralose, and then at determined intervals after - probably every 5 minutes up to an hour. Only then will I know for sure. To be honest, I eat quite a bit of splenda (sucralose), so if it DOES negativly impact BGL, i'm in trouble!

pregan is offline New Member
    What would you recommend for a pre-work out breakfast? I get up at 4:30 am and am at the gym at 6. Lifting 4 days a week. I can't cook at that time of morning since the family is asleep. While working out I feel like I'm running out of energy rather than the strength if that makes sense. Right now I have a protein shake and a english muffin with peanut butter and jelly. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pregan View Post
    What would you recommend for a pre-work out breakfast? I get up at 4:30 am and am at the gym at 6. Lifting 4 days a week. I can't cook at that time of morning since the family is asleep. While working out I feel like I'm running out of energy rather than the strength if that makes sense. Right now I have a protein shake and a english muffin with peanut butter and jelly. Thank you.
    Hard question to answer without knowing anything about you other than your workout time. What are your stats? What are your goals?

I workout at the same time as you. My preworkout meal is usually as follows (when adding mass):

Protein smoothie blend:
    1/2 cup oats
    1/2 scoop ON casein
    1/2 scoop ON pro complex
    tsp instant coffee
    splenda (to taste)
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup crushed ice
    1/2 cup 1% milkfat no salt added cottage cheese

1/2 cup oats (cooked)
    1/2 banana

When cutting, I simply omit the oats from the shake.

pregan is offline New Member
    38 yo 6'3" 275lbs just trying to get strong again. Stopped lifting for a long time. Lift heavy 4 days a week. No cardio, no cutting although once my strength is where I want it to be I would like to get down to about 245 which is a comfortable weight for me. Thanks for the smoothie. I can't run the blender in the morning. Can I make it night before or would it be disgusting?

It'd probably be disgusting! I have an 8 month old sleeping upstairs. I bring the blender down to the lowest level (split level home) and run it down there. Hasn't woken him yet! Any chance you can do something like that?

If not, you can always make something like my evening meal:

1/2 cup 1% milkfat cottage cheese
    1 scoop protein powder (a blend, myofusion vanilla is my preference)
    'dash' of skim milk just to soften/loosen it all up
    1 packet splenda or stevia (optional. I like it sweet)
    1tbsp natty peanut butter (I like Smucker's Chunky)

E-T-R is offline Junior Member
    Hey just a quick intro.. I am new to the forum but have an understanding of nutrition. A debate I had with a friend of mine yesterday??

What is better pre and post workout??
    He is convinced whey and oats are 100% better. My input is any pro/carb meal is great PWO (basmati rice/ 8oz chicken). I think the difference is negligible and as I usually go to the gym after work my pre workout is usually Oats/Whey. Cheers

I agree with you - difference is negligible. If anything, I like your choice better. I never use straight whey, it's absorbed too quickly and doesn't sustain very well throughout a workout, or afterwards. I do have a shake PWO, but it's always a protein blend.

Oats and whey are more convenient, that's about it, IMO.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 05-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Cheers for clarifying that....
    Yeah Im a blend fan myself. I mix ON Gold standard whey and ON Casein. Love the taste from the two. Depending on time of day the amount of each varies but there is always a blend of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by E-T-R View Post
    Cheers for clarifying that....
    Yeah Im a blend fan myself. I mix ON Gold standard whey and ON Casein. Love the taste from the two. Depending on time of day the amount of each varies but there is always a blend of the two.
    I do ON Casein and either ON Pro Complex, or Myofusion (because Pro Complex is fvcking expensive!)... delicious, love it either way!

Heard a lot about Myofusion but never tried.. I need more prtein soon so I may give it a go... I do like two separate proteins though and being able to choose the ratio myself

Quote Originally Posted by E-T-R View Post
    Heard a lot about Myofusion but never tried.. I need more prtein soon so I may give it a go... I do like two separate proteins though and being able to choose the ratio myself
    Myofusion is ok, not the greatest in quality... but IMO it's one of the best for all-around taste, cost, and quality.

Idk where you are in the world, but check out truenutrition dot com. You can completely customize your own protein blend with all kinds of choices... you can also choose the sweetener (if any) and additives (BCAA, digestive enzymes, etc). They're a little pricy, but worth it since you know exactly what you're getting. Check em' out and see if they ship to your area!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Myofusion is ok, not the greatest in quality... but IMO it's one of the best for all-around taste, cost, and quality.

Idk where you are in the world, but check out truenutrition dot com. You can completely customize your own protein blend with all kinds of choices... you can also choose the sweetener (if any) and additives (BCAA, digestive enzymes, etc). They're a little pricy, but worth it since you know exactly what you're getting. Check em' out and see if they ship to your area!
    They dont ship but did I have fun customizing my protein

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

They dont ship but did I have fun customizing my protein

VitaminX is offline New Member
    Just wondering if this workout shakes macros and cals etc are conducive to my cutting goals (this pre/post meal is the same size as the 3 other meals in the day in terms of cals)

cals pro/carb/fat
    2 Scoop Soy Protein 240 56/0/2
    1 + 1/4 banana 150 3/44/0
    100g summer fruits 72 2/7/0

462 61/51/2

All that is blended into a shake and sipped on 15 before and during workout. Workout is usually 40 minutes intense , short rest period weights and bodyweight exercises with some supersets. Then 35 mins steady state cardio , then 6 minutes of HIIT or so and then a bit of yoga.

Also I have a log somewhere near the top (can't post link)

If you could give feedback at all would be appreciated regarding diet/training volume.

shake

Just wondering if this workout shakes macros and cals etc are conducive to my cutting goals (this pre/post meal is the same size as the 3 other meals in the day in terms of cals)

cals pro/carb/fat

462 61/51/2

All that is blended into a shake and sipped on 15 before and during workout. Workout is usually 40 minutes intense , short rest period weights and bodyweight exercises with some supersets. Then 35 mins steady state cardio , then 6 minutes of HIIT or so and then a bit of yoga.

If you could give feedback at all would be appreciated regarding diet/training volume.

Im no Gbrice but I wouldnt use the banana or summer fruits pre or post workout on a cutting diet.

I would swap them up for some oats pre workout and maybe have a solid food meal meal with some basmati/brown rice PWO. Or to keep things easy use oats Per and post with a good blended protein.

Quote Originally Posted by VitaminX View Post

cals pro/carb/fat

462 61/51/2

I don't quite get the rationale behind your timing. You're eating what you call a pre-workout shake, but having it 15 mins as well as during the workout? I try to eat my preworkout meal about an hour before my workout. Allow some time for the digestion process to do it's thing.

Are you also having this same shake PWO, and then 3 additional meals (same macros)... so 5 meals per day?

I agree with E-T-R however regarding the carb choices. When cutting, one of my main goals is to keep sugar intake as low as possible... and not matter which way you slice it (no pun), fruit = sugar. I'd go with some good slow burning complex carbs. Oats are my choice due to convenience.

yeah good idea, gonna put oats in the shake instead of the fruit

I was basically just drinking the shake during the workout with the ill conceived idea that it would be digested fast enough to be used almost instantly.

I'm having 4 meals a day one of which is this shake

yeah good idea, gonna put oats in the shake instead of the fruit

I was basically just drinking the shake during the workout with the ill conceived idea that it would be digested fast enough to be used almost instantly.
    You'd have a better chance if it being used almost instantly by allowing your body time to process it. It's not as if you swallow food and it's nutrients immediately become available in your bloodstream via huge dump. Allow yourself a good hour, you'll be fine.

I'm having 4 meals a day one of which is this shake
    Out of curiosity - why soy protein?

Because its better for the digestive system. When I was taking large quantities of whey before i had stomach discomfort. Although I can handle whey just fine I'm not lactose intolerant or anything like that.

Also there is a higher percentage of protein in soy than whey so these two factors combined made me choose it.

Another question today I have roughly used 3100 calls and only consumed 2180. Thats a pretty large calorie deficit should i be making sure its a bit smaller a deficit by the end of the day. Because obviously diet plans can only account for a certain level of activity but i feel bad not sticking to it haha

Also are there any nutritional tips to avoid overtraining as my volume is quite high right now with at least 1.5 hours a day in the gym but the rest of the day is sedentary really.

if you are accidentally having an 800 calorie deficit as opposed to a 500 one at 9-10 percent bf will that hinder fat loss? or will it just increase total weight loss and fat loss will continue?

Twin is offline Associate Member
    whats your opinion on steamed chicken and white rice with veggies from chinnese takeout? i know im pushing my limits little by little, but its getting crazy. im losing motivation to eat clean everyday when bulking at 4k-4.2k calories a day. so im looking for new things to add to my diet.

chicken is chicken right? my guess is that it was about 20G of chicken protein from it. im going to go next time and ask if its possible to get double meat for an extra fee or i might go with a large...

im thinking of adding this to my diet 2x a week. (and cheat meal once a week- pizza or fastfood burgers and fries..)

because i just am losing my motivation to eat chicken breasts and eggs and steak everyday. i feel i gotta mix it up a little. but if this aint no good then i aint gonna eat it...

Because its better for the digestive system. When I was taking large quantities of whey before i had stomach discomfort. Although I can handle whey just fine I'm not lactose intolerant or anything like that.
    Fair enough. If you have a tough time digesting certain milk products, it's good to know there are alternatives.

Also there is a higher percentage of protein in soy than whey so these two factors combined made me choose it.
    Have you heard about/looked into the potential effects of soy and increased estrogen production in men?

Another question today I have roughly used 3100 calls and only consumed 2180. Thats a pretty large calorie deficit should i be making sure its a bit smaller a deficit by the end of the day. Because obviously diet plans can only account for a certain level of activity but i feel bad not sticking to it haha
    If you're going to follow a plan, then follow it. Do your best to hit your macros each day. However, I will say that if you're cutting, coming up short here and there won't hurt, can only help IMO.

Also are there any nutritional tips to avoid overtraining as my volume is quite high right now with at least 1.5 hours a day in the gym but the rest of the day is sedentary really.
    I follow a general rule of high volume/low frequency, and vice versa. So if you're following a high volume routine, working the same group once a week (assuming you are working with intensity in either case) is probably best, depending on the workout of course. High frequency programs will keep the volume low, only a couple of sets per exercise, but will be done more frequently - I've done 3x weekly.

if you are accidentally having an 800 calorie deficit as opposed to a 500 one at 9-10 percent bf will that hinder fat loss? or will it just increase total weight loss and fat loss will continue?
    One time, or every day? As I mentioned above, try to hit your target macros. If you're cutting and come up short once in a while, don't sweat it, it won't be the make or break of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin View Post
    whats your opinion on steamed chicken and white rice with veggies from chinnese takeout? i know im pushing my limits little by little
    Not really, it's a perfectly fine meal. Are you getting the sauce on the side?

but its getting crazy. im losing motivation to eat clean everyday when bulking at 4k-4.2k calories a day. so im looking for new things to add to my diet.
    Nothing 'unclean' about steamed chicken and broccoli with veggies and white rice. If you can account for the macros, you can eat it every day multiple times a day as far as i'm concerned.

chicken is chicken right? my guess is that it was about 20G of chicken protein from it. im going to go next time and ask if its possible to get double meat for an extra fee or i might go with a large...
    Chicken is chicken, depending on how it's cooked of course. No additional fats or carbs with steaming, so you're golden here.

im thinking of adding this to my diet 2x a week. (and cheat meal once a week- pizza or fastfood burgers and fries..)
    If you want to add it more often, go for it. No harm in this, IMO.

because i just am losing my motivation to eat chicken breasts and eggs and steak everyday. i feel i gotta mix it up a little. but if this aint no good then i aint gonna eat it...

I know the feeling all too well. Number 1, dieting should never be boring, or worse.. become an unpleasant chore. You should enjoy your food. If it helps you keep your sanity, by all means, add some variety to your diet. You don't have to live on chicken breats etc. there are good recipes out there to spice things up a bit.

Twin is offline Associate Member
    aight thats what i like to hear my man. And yea it came with that black soy looking sauce,but i just took a guess that its unhealthy so i didnt use it. is it healthy? if so ill pour it all over my food then...

and thx again.

Yeah GB looked into the increased estrogen statements. I believe it only increases something which mimics estrogen not actual estrogen. also i found it hard to find actual studies which reported this link. Lastly Nark uses soy products, although that isn't a reason to use them I trust his judgement on the issue.

Do you know of studies that found a significant link?

Thread Information