Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOnes View Post
    Heya, you missed thease 3 questions

1. Should I change my cardio duration or should I add more intensity or maybe add extra cardio session?

2. Also, when I feel that I need to drop calories , is the general rule to drop 300-500 calories from carbs and fats?

3.Should I ditch the fruits in the morning while i'm on cutting diet and just rely on multivitamin?
    I really didn't miss them, as I said before - the intent of this thread isn't personal consultation, it's general questions. With that said, i'll give general answers:

1) Cardio - if you're looking to up your game, any of the above will do

2) Calories - I usually leave the protein and fat macros alone, and manipulate carbs only

3) Fruits - I consume very little on a cutting diet. Keep it focused around your workout window, or first thing in the morning. If you're being really strict, i'd cut it out all together for the duration of the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    GB what do u recommend as a good snack while on a cutting diet?? like when ur in the mood for potato chips???
    Fat free popcorn with fat free butter spray!

Or you can always make sweet potato fries/chips - just remember to count them towards your calories, regardless of them being a 'snack'.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    GB, if thinking about doing an IF type diet would substituting half or quarter of a protein scoop while doing fasted cardio and every hour until the 8 hour feeding window? what i am saying is just having some BCAAs (which is in my protein) from after fasted cardio (545am) until 1230-100pm). would i really be breaking the fast if i am only having 1/4 or 1/2 serving of my protein powder (myofusion) once every hour to sip in with my water?

I'm afraid not man... fasted means fasted. Eating anything, even a partial serving of Myofusion (which also contains carbs and fat mind you) is enough to compromise the mechanisms that trigger due to a true fast. Martin Berkman admits that he allows BCAA's reluctantly, only to avoid unnecessary loss of LBM due to intense exercise during a fast. It's like choosing the lesser of two evils to be honest.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    thats what i thought, thanks

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I have been eating 1800 calories a day and lost a lot of fat. I am in the high teens now and starting to look decent. But, my weight loss has stalled and I am staying at a steady 195. My test dose is up, so I think I am gaining muscle while still losing fat, but it isn't really noticeable week-to-week like it used to be.

Should I drop to 1600 calories a day, or stay where I am and have faith?

A couple of weeks ago you said to up cardio. I have increased from 30 minutes a day to 45 minutes, plus I am doing it four days a week rather than two or three. I am getting ready to leave the house to go do cardio and lift now. Stupid cardio.

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    GB thought I'd chime in iv been absent from this thread for to long!

Trying carb cycling atm, noticing great results. My question is the low carb days are increadably hard, do u snack on anything between meals or when your hungry? Is there anything filling you can eat that's low low low on the macro scale?

So far iv been having sugar free chewing gum to keep my mind occupied. What are ur views on the gum?
    Last edited by Dr Pepper; 11-08-2011 at 03:27 AM.

MakinItRain is offline New Member
    I know you don't want to turn this into a "WWGBD"(what would gbrice do) thread but I know you just went through this...
    When going on gear what adjustments should you be making to your cutting diet?
    Up protein? Up carbs?
    Keep same macro % and just up calories?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I have been eating 1800 calories a day and lost a lot of fat. I am in the high teens now and starting to look decent. But, my weight loss has stalled and I am staying at a steady 195. My test dose is up, so I think I am gaining muscle while still losing fat, but it isn't really noticeable week-to-week like it used to be.

Should I drop to 1600 calories a day, or stay where I am and have faith?

A couple of weeks ago you said to up cardio. I have increased from 30 minutes a day to 45 minutes, plus I am doing it four days a week rather than two or three. I am getting ready to leave the house to go do cardio and lift now. Stupid cardio.
    You really need to get a better idea of what's going on (bold) before making another adjustment imo. If fat loss stalled, increasing the cardio as you have should make a difference - probably not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Keep in mind that as you have less fat on your body, further fat loss slows as your body isn't so willing to give it up that easily.

I'd stay where you are for now and take detailed note over the next few weeks, not just the scale - clothes fit, measurements, mirror, scale, etc. All of these tools together to give yourself a snapshot of what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    GB thought I'd chime in iv been absent from this thread for to long!

Trying carb cycling atm, noticing great results. My question is the low carb days are increadably hard, do u snack on anything between meals or when your hungry? Is there anything filling you can eat that's low low low on the macro scale?

So far iv been having sugar free chewing gum to keep my mind occupied. What are ur views on the gum?
    My low carb days are (supposed to be) filled with fibrous veggies - enough of those along with water should keep anybody filled. I've adjusted pretty well and don't feel all that hungry on my low/no carb days any more.

But to answer your question - yea, greens are very low (most of them).

Quote Originally Posted by MakinItRain View Post
    I know you don't want to turn this into a "WWGBD"(what would gbrice do) thread but I know you just went through this...
    When going on gear what adjustments should you be making to your cutting diet?
    Up protein? Up carbs?
    Keep same macro % and just up calories?
    Thanks
    Assuming the goal is to continue cutting bodyfat, you can probably decrease calories. The AAS will help you maintain LBM on a lowered caloric intake while fat loss is further facilitated. Don't forget that some AAS will increase nutrient partitioning efficiency, i.e. less nutrition will be used more efficiently - but overall calories are lower therefore fat loss can occur faster. Also, depending on what compounds are run, they could even directly impact further fat loss.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You really need to get a better idea of what's going on (bold) before making another adjustment imo. If fat loss stalled, increasing the cardio as you have should make a difference - probably not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Keep in mind that as you have less fat on your body, further fat loss slows as your body isn't so willing to give it up that easily.

I'd stay where you are for now and take detailed note over the next few weeks, not just the scale - clothes fit, measurements, mirror, scale, etc. All of these tools together to give yourself a snapshot of what's going on.
    More cardio. Roger that. I am aiming for daily. God, I hate it.

I am looking into getting my BF tested so I can keep better track now that the changes aren't as obvious.

You can probably tell that I occasionally need a voice of reason. Every once in a while I freak out when I think nothing is changing. It doesn't help that I don't really see myself in the mirror. I alternately see a scrawny guy or a fat guy. Rarely do I see a 195 pound fit guy.

More cardio. Roger that. I am aiming for daily. God, I hate it.
    I'm not saying to do more cardio at this point; I was saying that the increase you've already made should be helping, and before adjusting anything further, get a much better idea of what's really going on.

I am looking into getting my BF tested so I can keep better track now that the changes aren't as obvious.

You can probably tell that I occasionally need a voice of reason. Every once in a while I freak out when I think nothing is changing. It doesn't help that I don't really see myself in the mirror. I alternately see a scrawny guy or a fat guy. Rarely do I see a 195 pound fit guy.
    Bro, you have no idea how much I get this. I go through the exact same thing, and am afraid it may always be that way... i.e. my mind is fvcked.

I'm not saying to do more cardio at this point; I was saying that the increase you've already made should be helping, and before adjusting anything further, get a much better idea of what's really going on.
    I misread. You said the increased cardio that I did should be making a difference (although a small one) and I was really just acknowledging that I hadn't been doing as much cardio as I was supposed to. Four days is much less than the planned seven days.

Bro, you have no idea how much I get this. I go through the exact same thing, and am afraid it may always be that way... i.e. my mind is fvcked.
    I posted a shot on Facebook recently and several people said "holy sh*t!". And yet, I see a normal guy that looks like he works out a little bit. Someday we will be satisfied, right?

I misread. You said the increased cardio that I did should be making a difference (although a small one) and I was really just acknowledging that I hadn't been doing as much cardio as I was supposed to. Four days is much less than the planned seven days.

I posted a shot on Facebook recently and several people said "holy sh*t!". And yet, I see a normal guy that looks like he works out a little bit. Someday we will be satisfied, right?
    I feel the exact same way... like... as long as my shirt is off... and as long as the lighting is right, and the shadows are cast just right... somebody might realize I workout... but other than that, no chance!!!

The bold - very unlikely!!!

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Oh guess what GB.... Im coming for ya.

You hear those footsteps?

Thats Dukkit... Running straight for ya.

Why, you may ask?

Cuz Im back on my game.

Just had 2 cans tuna, 2 cups spinach, popped some Yohimbine and fish oils, dropping that yerbe mate tea in the cup, adding a dash of cinnamon...

lol

Anyways... so what do your post workout meals look like? Post and Post-Post?

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    Oh guess what GB.... Im coming for ya.

You hear those footsteps?

Thats Dukkit... Running straight for ya.

Why, you may ask?

Cuz Im back on my game.

Just had 2 cans tuna, 2 cups spinach, popped some Yohimbine and fish oils, dropping that yerbe mate tea in the cup, adding a dash of cinnamon...

lol

Anyways... so what do your post workout meals look like? Post and Post-Post?
    Lmao!! We gotta link up sometime and grab a workout together... should be a good time. Just don't bring that big fvck Haz with you - I don't need to look any smaller than I already am!

You eat the tuna in water, straight? What kind of tuna (yellowfin, albacore, etc)? Man, I just can't do it - I either need the tuna/tonno in olive oil (not that mushy shit they pack in soybean oil), or add lots of whole mayo which kinda defeats the purpose - so I hardly eat tuna!!!

My PWO shake is a simple 2 scoops (usually 1 scoop myofusion, 1 scoop ON Pro Complex) and 1/2 cup oats.

PPWO as of late has been 7-8oz grilled chicken breast, some greens, and 3 fish oils.

Next is 95/5 lean ground beef, with brown gravy and topped with a 'lite' mexican cheese blend. No fish oils in this meal - I get the fats from the cheese, shh... don't tell anybody!

After that, 7-8oz grilled tilapia, greens, and 3 more fish oils.

And so on... pretty much teh same shit every day!

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    This is how I eat my tuna... take a bite, big swallow of water to wash it down. I usually get the albacore from wegmans. Theyre one of the only companies who still makes tuna in 2.5 serving cans. Plus their protein content is higher than any others.

And oddly enough... your pwo meals are close to my own. Cept I try to get the lean beef/steak for my prebed meal for the slow releasing protein.

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    This is how I eat my tuna... take a bite, big swallow of water to wash it down. I usually get the albacore from wegmans. Theyre one of the only companies who still makes tuna in 2.5 serving cans. Plus their protein content is higher than any others.

And oddly enough... your pwo meals are close to my own. Cept I try to get the lean beef/steak for my prebed meal for the slow releasing protein.
    I'll have to give it another shot... hell i'll use the Wegman's Albacore too just to be like Dukkit!

I really wish I could hack it, because it's such a damn clean, lean excellent source of protein... not to mention quick and convenient.

I hear ya on the beef/slow release meal. I actually have 2 more meals after the ones I listed, but they're often protein powder/cottage cheese combo meals so I didn't bother listing them.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    GB have you tried adding some malt vinegar to tuna? It's the only way I can get it down clean.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    GB have you tried adding some malt vinegar to tuna? It's the only way I can get it down clean.
    Never have bro. Have added red wine vinegar and like it ok... but much better with olive oil too, lol!

So malt vinegar you say, eh? Hmm... i'll have to give it a shot.

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    I often have trouble getting my appitite in the morning, usually i just force myself to drink a protein shake with oatmeal in it. Should I be grinding it up? I usually just add water n chug lol.

I noticed if I do eat breakfast the more ill eat through the day. I just have trouble in the AM tho, after my first meal im hungry all day long. Especially later on in the day after ive been awake for 4-6 hours

Makes no difference whether you grind them up or not... do whatever is most convenient.

You eat better and are hungrier throughout the day because you've fired up your metabolism early in the day... an optimal time for nutrition for many different reasons.

I was never much of a breakfast person either... used to get nauseous at times, but eventually my body adjusted. Nowadays, it's my favorite meal of the day and I start looking forward to it before bed the night before!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Here is something a bit different for you.

Advantages/ Dis-advantages of eating Liver.....

Recommendations for eating Liver (if at all)

Some old school BB's I know used to blend it and drink it.... Urgggghhhhh. Vomit

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    Right thats how i am 5 out of 7 days a week. Im a little nautious for the first hour or two. Another thing, maybe its the stimulants but if i drink coffee to wake up it will take away my appitite to. Things seem to get better the more consistant i lift though.

BTW i sent you a PM GB. I know ur busy, take ur time

MakinItRain is offline New Member
    How important is fasted cardio? I work at 8am and am too damn tired to do it before so I just do HIIT cardio or 45 mins of steady cardio at 65-70% of maximal heart rate after my workout. Is fasted state going to be that much more effective?

cue_artist is offline Associate Member
    GB what are ur thought on pm cardio ? I started doing 2 sessions of cardio one post work out and one straight after my last meal and i swear every single day i wake up my veins are popping all over the place. By the way the US is amazing man!!!!

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    My question is, what the heck is "fasted cardio"?? Cardio on a very high speed??

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Here is something a bit different for you.

Advantages/ Dis-advantages of eating Liver.....

Recommendations for eating Liver (if at all)

Some old school BB's I know used to blend it and drink it.... Urgggghhhhh. Vomit
    Got me stumped there mate... that's one i'd have to research! I can tell you one disadvantage which i'm sure most agree - it tastes like pure shit!!! Liver (at least beef liver) isn't particularly lean, so I don't personally see any advantage, strictly from a bodybuilding standpoint, to eating it over steak which also happens to be delicious. However liver may provide other health benefits that i'm not privy to.

Base, go on a 30 day liver only diet and let us know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
    Right thats how i am 5 out of 7 days a week. Im a little nautious for the first hour or two. Another thing, maybe its the stimulants but if i drink coffee to wake up it will take away my appitite to. Things seem to get better the more consistant i lift though.

BTW i sent you a PM GB. I know ur busy, take ur time
    Sorry bro... I've been spending alot less time on the forum lately as I need to focus on my family. I can't promise a response to be honest, but if I can get to it, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by MakinItRain View Post
    How important is fasted cardio? I work at 8am and am too damn tired to do it before so I just do HIIT cardio or 45 mins of steady cardio at 65-70% of maximal heart rate after my workout. Is fasted state going to be that much more effective?
    I wouldn't call fasted cardio 'important' per se; it really just comes down to what works best for you and what you have time to do, etc. I personally like it - and coupled with a higher intensity PWO cardio session later in the day is lethal to body fat!

I wouldn't call fasted cardio more effective, but for people who hate HIIT or simply have a hard time being very intense with cardio (i'm one of them), fasted works for them because it can and should be done at a lower/ more steady state type intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by cue_artist View Post
    GB what are ur thought on pm cardio ? I started doing 2 sessions of cardio one post work out and one straight after my last meal and i swear every single day i wake up my veins are popping all over the place. By the way the US is amazing man!!!!
    I think it's great! Imagine getting that metabolism fired up in the late hours when you're body is doing the least... and you'll be fasted for several hours later throughout the night. I think PM cardio is awesome. Again, I personally LOVE the combo of am fasted and pm/PWO

Where are you in the US now bro??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    My question is, what the heck is "fasted cardio"?? Cardio on a very high speed??
    lol, no... fasted as in 'without food' ... a state of fasting. Have you never heard the term? Think of the word breakfast - first meal of the day, break-fast. Breaking the fast (from sleep the night before)

cue_artist is offline Associate Member
    i am in the state of Missouri buddy, i like everything down here except for the weather . Its F^*ckin freeezing !!!!!!!!.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Got me stumped there mate... that's one i'd have to research! I can tell you one disadvantage which i'm sure most agree - it tastes like pure shit!!! Liver (at least beef liver) isn't particularly lean, so I don't personally see any advantage, strictly from a bodybuilding standpoint, to eating it over steak which also happens to be delicious. However liver may provide other health benefits that i'm not privy to.

Base, go on a 30 day liver only diet and let us know!!!
    Man I love calves liver.

It is massively abundant in B vitamins, copper, selenium, Vit A , zinc and a number of other things. High ish in protein too. Definitely worth an addition to the diet once in a while.

ConArmas is offline Junior Member
    Can you recommend a protein powder that is "non-whey", "non-soy", and has no corn in it? (stinkin' allergies!)
    The only thing I have found was an egg protein, but it sucked to mix with smoothies and such.
    I already eat alot of eggs too, so I wanted to supplement with a different protein source.

Thanks!

Ever looked into beef protein powder?

There is Carnivor from MuscleMeds. Great supplement. Its made out of beef. No feeling bloated or anything. You can eat without effort half an hour after you take it.

Hope it doesnt sound like publicity, but i myself really like it. But dont take my word for it. Give it a go, maybe you'll like it or maybe not.

ConArmas is offline Junior Member
    My google foo-must be rather week, cause I've never heard of beef protein. Thanks. I will start looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ConArmas View Post
    My google foo-must be rather week, cause I've never heard of beef protein. Thanks. I will start looking for it.
    It's gaining some popularity now moreso than before. As mentioned above, Carnivore is one of the brands I see most often in mags and what not.

BigBadWolf is offline Member
    How long after a fasted cardio in the morning should I wait till I rate my first meal? Ideally? Thanx

^^^ eat my first meal. Not rate but you can rate it also if you'd like

You can eat your first meal immediately after; no need to wait any specific length of time.

Post it up, and I'll rate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    You can eat your first meal immediately after; no need to wait any specific length of time.

Post it up, and I'll rate it!!
    Halfcup of whole grain oatmeal
    6 oz of lean 93/7 hamburger meat

Quote Originally Posted by Honkeykong

Halfcup of whole grain oatmeal
    6 oz of lean 93/7 hamburger meat
    ^^ oops that a whole cup of oats.

Gets a poor rating from me, sorry!!

You want to get nutrients in quickly after a fast, and you're choosing one of the slowest digesting proteins available. IMO eggs would be perfect, or eggs and a protein shake, etc. If you want to stick with something 'meaty', most white fish is a relatively fast digesting protein.

I got it!!! 1-2 whole eggs, 4-6 whites, and a few slices of lean Canadian bacon... BAM!!!! Decent and delicious!

Do you know any other brands of beef protein ? I like carnivor but its so damn expensive here in europe. Its much cheaper in the US. Maybe some place that shipps to europe also.

Thread Information