Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: ** The ASK GB ANYTHING thread (diet/nutrition related) **

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    GB i wanted to ask u a question pertaining to something u said in another thread.. u mentioned that as ur body changes so will ur macros and caloric needs to keep getting results.. i was wondering if u could elaborate on that as in if the diet i am currently on stoppd producing results would it be due to composition changes as well as physical fitness changes? if so how would u go about trying to continue the results?

is there a trend people follow when they hit this point or is it totally individual? if individual r u just taking a guess?

say im losing fat and maintaining lbm at 300pro/100c/55f and all of a sudden the fat loss stops.. it seems odd that id add carbs and drop protein to continue the fat burning process.. im not saying thats a definite im asking what would u do??

obviously im asking cuz im anticipating reaching this point and id like to be prepared ahead of time...

thx

bump

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    A 5% change today will make a 25% change by the end of the year

Bump

bumpity - bump!

Funny guy

I figure if we keep posting on his thread, he'll have to come out to yell at us to stop, then maybe we'll get him to post again.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Sorry guys, I will be back in action tomorrow and will respond to your questions!

take your time, we like getting our post counts up on your threads!

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    Why did I let myself get so fat? Seriously..... I'm talking over 25% BF. God damn!

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    Just dropping a line in to say I'm still reading everything in this thread. Il be bugging you again soon...

How much wood could a wood-chuck.... Oh wait, it says diet/nutrition related.... Scratch that!

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    How much wood could a wood-chuck.... Oh wait, it says diet/nutrition related.... Scratch that!
    if a wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck would chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Scanning radio shows on a long drive the other day and heard this:

At the 45 minute mark of exercising, cortisol levels rise thus burn muscle thus raise BF. Thought interesting since I remember Phate saying something about a study done suggesting shorter cardio sessions 2x's a day was better than one long session so I wonder if this relates to cortisol rising after a certain amount of time. Food for thought. ( and I have asked Phate about this study but he is not around and I hope I am remembering what he said correctly and if not, I stand corrected)
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

yeh slim i have a buddy whos also on a cut but using bodybuilding.com and the main guy on there i think whoever he is says something similar.. like i think he rates how much fat u burn or something like that during a cardio session and gives it a numerical value.. i think he said u peak at like 15-20 mins and if u go another 20 mins u only burn like 1/3 as much.. now dont quote me on exact numbers here but thats the general idea.. basically 2 x 20 mins/day is what i got out of it

but then ive also heard u dont start burning fat til after 30 mins???

Oh no, you will all get me back to being anti-cardio with all this talk!

Oh no, you will all get me back to being anti-cardio with all this talk!
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO TBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !1

but it is an interesting topic id like to hear GBs opinion on hopefully when he comes back around he can address this as well as my post

AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    GB i wanted to ask u a question pertaining to something u said in another thread.. u mentioned that as ur body changes so will ur macros and caloric needs to keep getting results
    Yes sir!

i was wondering if u could elaborate on that as in if the diet i am currently on stoppd producing results would it be due to composition changes as well as physical fitness changes?
    Great topic!

It can be due to one or a number of things. Let's take your situation (cutting) for example. You are eating 2000 calories/day and consistently losing weight, around 1-1.5lbs weekly. You know it's mostly fat because you are doing your due diligence and taking measurements, monitoring your progress in the mirror, noting how your clothes fit, and keeping track of your lifts/strength in the gym. Suddenly one weigh in morning, BAM!!! You made no progress. At this point, I wouldn't worry - but I would start looking into things I can change/tighten up if lack of progress continues. If you make no progress 2 weeks in a row, that's when i'd start looking into implementing said changes.

Body Composition - it makes sense that a 250lb person and a 180lb person will very likely have different caloric requirements. If you start off as the former and wind up as the latter, there's no way you can expect to continue seeing results if things were kept the same.

Acclimation - As you carry on with your regimen, your body becomes acclimated to what you're doing. i.e. where 30 mins of walking at a moderate pace on the treadmill gave you results at 250lbs, I guarantee it won't do jack for you after dropping 50+ lbs. This doesn't necessarily mean you need more cardio; read on...

if so how would u go about trying to continue the results?
    Reducing calories, when already using a relatively large caloric deficit, is one of the last things i'd do. Dropping calories too low will be counter productive to muscle growth/maintenance and a healthy metabolism. So, what can you do? Everything you're already doing, but make it more efficient.

Workouts - reduce your rest periods between sets. This will create more of a 'pseudo-cardio' environment during your workout. Implement things that force you to work harder and get outside of your comfort zone... super-sets, circuit training, etc.

Cardio - I'm going to assume that if you're cutting, you're already doing a fair good bit of cardio. So if you're doing an hour a day, I don't necessarily want you to do more. However, small changes can make a big difference. Splitting cardio into 2 sessions, 1 fasted am (e.g. 45 mins) and 1 pm PWO (intervals, 20 mins or so) has always been effective for me.

Tracking your cardio and aiming to beat it every session. e.g. when I use the elliptical, I keep track of the numbers and try to go faster in the same amount of time... this can be applied to pretty much any cardio.

Diet - As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't look at reducing calories as my first option. What I would do is look to tighten up the diet - i.e. maybe there are hidden sugars in some of your foods that can be eliminated. Maybe you have a pasta meal which can be swapped for a better carb. You can also play with macros and not necessarily change overall calories - e.g. reducing fat by 10g and upping protein by 25g... things like this.

is there a trend people follow when they hit this point or is it totally individual? if individual r u just taking a guess?
    I think this applies to everybody. Nobody can do the same thing forever and continue seeing results. It's no different than lifting. Your body adapts, you have to push it harder.

say im losing fat and maintaining lbm at 300pro/100c/55f and all of a sudden the fat loss stops.. it seems odd that id add carbs and drop protein to continue the fat burning process.. im not saying thats a definite im asking what would u do??
    Pretty much addressed this above, I hope lol! But where'd you get the idea of adding carbs and dropping protein? I know you're not saying that's a definite, but what even gave you that idea?

obviously im asking cuz im anticipating reaching this point and id like to be prepared ahead of time...
    Good to see you're thinking ahead. You remind me of myself, thirsty for knowledge lol!

thx
    No prob, and thank you! First good topic in this thread for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertuzzi View Post
    Why did I let myself get so fat? Seriously..... I'm talking over 25% BF. God damn!
    Because you haven't been around here consistently so we can make you accountable!!!

25%, really Bert? PM me pics if you're up to it... I need to see where you're at!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Just dropping a line in to say I'm still reading everything in this thread. Il be bugging you again soon...
    Glad to see you're still around, I was getting lonely lol!

Never a problem brother...

Pretty much addressed this above, I hope lol! But where'd you get the idea of adding carbs and dropping protein ? I know you're not saying that's a definite, but what even gave you that idea?

i suppose i got the idea by thinking 100g carbs everyday is rather low and i didnt think itd be maintainable to go any lower .. the fat part never occurred to me to drop prob cuz i dont consider 55g too high.. and i know how uve said in the past people eatn 400g protein per day was not necessary and possibly wasteful(not quoting u but something like that ) so it seemd the only thing i could do if keepn calories the same would be reduce protein and elevate carbs.. like i said i didnt really think itd be a good idea which is why i askd what u would do i do use a touch of balsamic vinegar on broccoli 2x/day i could eliminate .. other than that the only thing i think i could change would be the 32g natty PB before bed.. which i love more than anything but may have to get over it i suppose depending how the rest of the cut goes.. that would free up like 14-16g fat = 140 cals which would enable me to up protein by like 35g..

i liked what u had to say about cardio.. currently i do 45 mins fasted in the am and have no chance at PWO cardio cuz i lift during my lunch hr.. tbody has given me a mew routine with supersets im in week 2 of that i like with high reps.. do u think a pm 20 min interval session in addition to my current 45 min fasted session would prove productive? ive been thinking if cardio isnt fasted or PWO its not very effective..

thx bro

thedawg is offline New Member
    Hey gb. A question about fasted cardio. Is there any given timeframe that this should be undertaken withn waking? if i awake and take some bcaas straight away and then head to the gym abd start cardio about an hour after waking would this be fine? ie i dont have to do cardio sooner? Also should bcaas be consumed throughout the cardio in addition to beforehand or would a pro/complex carb shake afterwards suffice?

cheers man!

Pretty much addressed this above, I hope lol! But where'd you get the idea of adding carbs and dropping protein ? I know you're not saying that's a definite, but what even gave you that idea?

i suppose i got the idea by thinking 100g carbs everyday is rather low and i didnt think itd be maintainable to go any lower .. the fat part never occurred to me to drop prob cuz i dont consider 55g too high.. and i know how uve said in the past people eatn 400g protein per day was not necessary and possibly wasteful(not quoting u but something like that ) so it seemd the only thing i could do if keepn calories the same would be reduce protein and elevate carbs.. like i said i didnt really think itd be a good idea which is why i askd what u would do i do use a touch of balsamic vinegar on broccoli 2x/day i could eliminate .. other than that the only thing i think i could change would be the 32g natty PB before bed.. which i love more than anything but may have to get over it i suppose depending how the rest of the cut goes.. that would free up like 14-16g fat = 140 cals which would enable me to up protein by like 35g..

i liked what u had to say about cardio.. currently i do 45 mins fasted in the am and have no chance at PWO cardio cuz i lift during my lunch hr.. tbody has given me a mew routine with supersets im in week 2 of that i like with high reps.. do u think a pm 20 min interval session in addition to my current 45 min fasted session would prove productive? ive been thinking if cardio isnt fasted or PWO its not very effective..

thx bro
    Well, you said you were asking about this in the event you stagnate in the future, right? i.e. you're still seeing results currently? If so, don't change anything!

No, I wouldn't lower carbs more than 100g - depending on how often you eat them. In other words, carb cycling... I ate 110g carbs for 3 days... and then zero grams of (starchy) carbs for 3 days... with a single carb up day. Are you eating 100g every day? That is another change that could be implemented if so.

Quote Originally Posted by thedawg View Post
    Hey gb. A question about fasted cardio. Is there any given timeframe that this should be undertaken withn waking? if i awake and take some bcaas straight away and then head to the gym abd start cardio about an hour after waking would this be fine? ie i dont have to do cardio sooner? Also should bcaas be consumed throughout the cardio in addition to beforehand or would a pro/complex carb shake afterwards suffice?

cheers man!
    Hey dawg, there's no set timeframe per se, however i'd do it as soon as possible simply to be able to fit my meals in throughout the day. i.e. on my fasted cardio days, I am already 1 meal behind schedule due to not having the preworkout meal... so if I putz around the house for a while in the morning, i'm just prolonging my first meal... and subsequent meals.

What you said above is fine... I take my BCAA's, leave the house, do my cardio and that's it. I don't bother with BCAA's intra-cardio, not necessary. I eat a pro/oats shake right after.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    NEW PLAN

5'10
    180 lbs
    19% BF (give or take a 1-2)
    30 years old

Going to do try the leangains approach in regards to diet :

maintenance cals: 2700 cals
    rest/cardio day: 1845 cals
    workout day: 2245 cals

rest/cardio day: protein 270g, carbs 90g, fats 45g

cardio 5:45am (10g BCAAs)
    meal 1 12:30pm 35% cals (~645 cals)
    meal 2 5:30pm 35% cals (~645 cals)
    (may do 2nd cardio session here)
    meal 3 8:00pm 30% cals (~555 cals)

workout day: protein 270g, carbs 190g, fats 45g

meal 1 12:30pm 35% cals (~786 cals)
    meal 2 5:30pm 15% cals (~336 cals)
    workout 6:00pm or so (3 day fullbody workout --High intensity training with only resting btwn leg exercise sets, superset upperbody with push/pull)
    meal 3 8:00pm 50% cals (~1123 cals)

what are your thoughts on this GB, thanks

Well, you said you were asking about this in the event you stagnate in the future, right? i.e. you're still seeing results currently? If so, don't change anything!

No, I wouldn't lower carbs more than 100g - depending on how often you eat them. In other words, carb cycling... I ate 110g carbs for 3 days... and then zero grams of (starchy) carbs for 3 days... with a single carb up day. Are you eating 100g every day? That is another change that could be implemented if so.

i check bf every week and it has stayed the same since the sunday before christmas... now i did cheat 3 or 4 x christmas week but not at all this week.. i spoke to stem about it and he said give it another 2 weeks which is cool but if something doesnt happen by then i wanna be prepared.. actually in my diet thread i posted a sample diet change simply manipulating the macros im currently eating..

basically i eat 300gP/100gC/55gF 7 days a week and have been for 13 weeks with great results.. what i thought about doing was an idea i got from lookn at tgunz thread that base actually recommended(or i think this is what he recommended).. i lift 4 days/week so :

mon/lift/high(170g)
    tue/cardio only(33g veggie only and cottage cheese)<<<-----these are carb grams
    wed/lift/high(170g)
    thu/cardio only(33g same as above)
    fri/lift/high(170g)
    sat/lift/moderate(100g)
    sun/cardio only(33g same as above)

basically ill be getting the same amt carbs every 7days but have the bulk of them centered around lifting days , protein stays the same, fat stays the same, weekly cals stay the same....?????

^^^ love it!

GB, posting on GB's thread.... is everything right in the universe again?

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^^ love it!
    Good! Thatll be my plan if/when i stop losin bf

GB, posting on GB's thread.... is everything right in the universe again?
    Pretty much... I still have way less time than I used to on here, but i'm doing what I can!

Good! Thatll be my plan if/when i stop losin bf
    Sounds good... and remember that not everything works as well for everybody... so even if this change (when implemented) doesn't produce appreciable results, there is plenty more we can change to kick things back into gear.

Hey, we all understand there is less of you to go around since you lost all that fat, we appreciate you sharing your lean sexiness with us whenever and wherever we can get it.

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    OK Gb I have couple question for you.

1. I usually around my pre workout eat some kind of lean protein( chicken, turkey) with little a little bit of veggies and brown rice. I have read in couple articles that I should eat a fruit pre workout, is it really needed or is my brown rice enough?

2. I've had a longer break from gym , many weeks and I have used same macros. Should I change them ? I'm in my last phase of cutting btw

3. If I'm having a longer break from gym should I run my macros on maintenance when I'm bulking/cutting?

4. Is it okay that I eat most of my carbs around workout and I eat minimum carbs at morning, like 20-30 g of carbs? Those carbs come from fruits and veggies and the reason behind it is because I have only 122 g of carbs in my use.

5. I weigh up my food with my food scale and I have little notebook that came with the scale and it has different number codes for different foods. I have been using macros that my food scale gives me already for some time. Should I trust those numbers?

I read labels too

So those were the questions. Answer to them as soon as you can and ty as always
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 01-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOnes View Post
    OK Gb I have couple question for you.

1. I usually around my pre workout eat some kind of lean protein( chicken, turkey) with little a little bit of veggies and brown rice. I have read in couple articles that I should eat a fruit pre workout, is it really needed or is my brown rice enough?
    There is no 'should' or 'needed'. It wouldn't hurt, and imo would be the best time for fruit. Personally, I am eating 1/2 a banana preworkout, and 1 small apple PWO (with the rest of my food obviously). As long as you're hitting your macros, the brown rice is enough.

2. I've had a longer break from gym , many weeks and I have used same macros. Should I change them ? I'm in my last phase of cutting btw
    Well, what were the macros during the diet? Were you eating at a caloric deficit to begin with? Probably no need to change them then.

3. If I'm having a longer break from gym should I run my macros on maintenance when I'm bulking/cutting?
    That's what i'd do in either case

4. Is it okay that I eat most of my carbs around workout and I eat minimum carbs at morning, like 20-30 g of carbs? Those carbs come from fruits and veggies and the reason behind it is because I have only 122 g of carbs in my use.
    Particularly on a cut - yes, this is exactly what I do. 3 carb meals/day - am, and pre/pwo.

5. I weigh up my food with my food scale and I have little notebook that came with the scale and it has different number codes for different foods. I have been using macros that my food scale gives me already for some time. Should I trust those numbers?

I read labels too
    I wouldn't trust it... go by the labels and what you can't get from them, use a site like livestrong.com

So those were the questions. Answer to them as soon as you can and ty as always
    np bro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    bump
    Thanks buddy!!! I have been very absent as of late...

glad you had a chance to stop back by for a minute.

Originally Posted by gbrice75
    ^^ TRT, right? What's your dosage?

LOL.. Now thats funny.. I got in this thread to ask u why i was so hungry all of a sudden and in looking thru realized id already asked u i tell u the things i did in my 20s still seems to affect me LOL...

So yeh TRT .. Dosage just got bumpd up to 240mg/week... Im in week 7 .. Startd at 150mg/week.. For 3 weeks.. Then 200mg for 3 weeks.. Now im at 240... Redundant i know just wanted to paint the pic

Once u answer this ill prob have a few more questions.. Thx bro..

figd id move this to the proper thread

bump

bump

APM
    APM is offline Associate Member
    Great thread Gbrice!!!

Here's my question. During a pre contest cutting diet is it true that some individuals will cut out ALL carbs (starchy and fiberous) one week prior to the contest?

I was told by a few that have been competing for a couple years that when doing this type of complete carb depletion during the last week that your muscles will start to look/feel flat, but, to remedy this the night before competition you should do a carb-up, and upon wakening your muscles will be full and revived....??

Have you heard of this??

Originally Posted by gbrice75
    ^^ TRT, right? What's your dosage?

LOL.. Now thats funny.. I got in this thread to ask u why i was so hungry all of a sudden and in looking thru realized id already asked u i tell u the things i did in my 20s still seems to affect me LOL...

So yeh TRT .. Dosage just got bumpd up to 240mg/week... Im in week 7 .. Startd at 150mg/week.. For 3 weeks.. Then 200mg for 3 weeks.. Now im at 240... Redundant i know just wanted to paint the pic

Once u answer this ill prob have a few more questions.. Thx bro..

figd id move this to the proper thread
    Ok 405, NOW you've got me confused... what exactly am I answering here!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by APM View Post
    Great thread Gbrice!!!
    Thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by APM View Post
    Here's my question. During a pre contest cutting diet is it true that some individuals will cut out ALL carbs (starchy and fiberous) one week prior to the contest?

I was told by a few that have been competing for a couple years that when doing this type of complete carb depletion during the last week that your muscles will start to look/feel flat, but, to remedy this the night before competition you should do a carb-up, and upon wakening your muscles will be full and revived....??

Have you heard of this??
    I have read contest logs and such and people definitely do this, however I don't want to paint a picture like I have experience with contest prep, because I don't. But generally, yes - depletion to get as dry as possible, and then a big carb up prior to the contest to load those muscles up.

If you can get a hold of him, you should try bouncing this off of Fireguy. In fact, he may be working on a contest prep sticky!

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    Macros during my diet are now ( 250 P , 122 C , 44 F and 2265 cal).

I looked up livestrong.com but didn't liked instead I will use dailyburn.com it is really great.

So basicly added all my regural foods and copied their food labels and added them to custom foods on the site. I will soon purchase pro version of that site and then I can use daily meal planning system.

I will use my food scale only to see how many grams of particular food I will eat on certain meal.
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 01-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Ok 405, NOW you've got me confused... what exactly am I answering here!?!?

Thanks buddy!

I have read contest logs and such and people definitely do this, however I don't want to paint a picture like I have experience with contest prep, because I don't. But generally, yes - depletion to get as dry as possible, and then a big carb up prior to the contest to load those muscles up.

If you can get a hold of him, you should try bouncing this off of Fireguy. In fact, he may be working on a contest prep sticky!
    Sorry GB i askd u awhile back about being so hungry all the time and if it was because of the test.. U askd me what dose i was on.. Which now is 160mg/week... I suppose i was wondering if i have to just deal with it? Didnt know if being on it might enable me to eat more ? Didnt fig it would but worth a shot LOL.. Sry bout confusion

Thread Information