Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
    slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member

**slfmade's 20 week lean bulk/cutting log**

Alright fella's - Here we go. This will be the start of my daily log over the next 20 weeks. This log will consist of an 8 week High Intensity Lean Bulk Program followed by a 12 week cutting phase.

Current Stats:
    29yrs old
    179.5 lbs
    ~15% B

TDEE - 2583

Suprailiac Caliper Measurement - 9 (Will be using this measurement to track bodyfat %)
    Neck - 12 3/4
    Chest - 41
    Biceps - 15
    Waist - 33
    Mid Leg - 22.5
    Upper Leg - 24
    Calf - 15

Lean Bulk Phase: 8 weeks - Goals are to gain 10-15 lbs of LBM with no increase in BF%. I will be following my BF% closely to make sure I'm not adding bodyfat and if I start to see an increase we'll need to make adjustments to the diet. I might add that I know 10-15 lbs is ambitious; however, I haven't been working out for a while so I expect to get some "newbie gains". I might add that there will be NO aas use!!!

Cutting Phase: 12 weeks - Goal will be to drop from 15% Bodyfat to 10% Bodyfat without much if any loss of LBM. Diet will be determined at a later period. I'll more than likely either run a CKD or "IF" style diet. During this time I will be running a T3/Clen /Keto cycle straight through the 12 weeks.

For now we'll focus on the present: I started this today. Below I'll list my current diet and workout program. Please feel free to offer your advice.

Diet: 1/9/12 - All split as shown as Cal/Fat/Carbs/Protein

Lift Days -

9:00 a.m.
    2 oz 96/4 Ground Beef (Drained Twice)
    4 Egg Whites
    Veggies
    3/4 Cup of Oats

429/6.75/51.5/43.5

12:00 a.m.
    Protein Shake (Blended with Whey, Casein, 3/4 cup oats/1tbs Peanut Butter)

444/13/53.5/36.5

2:00 p.m.
    Tuna Salad on Whole Grain Bread
    1 Chocolate no bake cookie (my own recipe - Protein Powder, Peanut Butter, and Oats)

442.5/8.35/54.5/43

4:00 p.m.
    Twice Loaded Baked Potato - 96/4 Beef, Potatos, Brocolli
    2 - Chocolate No Bake Cookies

530/12.5/52/52

6:00 p.m.
    SlimmerMe's Pancakes

430/4.6/63/41

7:00 - 8:00 workout

8:00 p.m.
    Protein Shake 1/2 whey 1/2 Casein

225/1.5/3/49

10:00 p.m.
    6 oz Hamburger Patty

280/6.75/0/36

Total = 2781 cals/53.45 Fat/277.5 Carbs/301 Protein Split = 17/40/43

Non - Lift Days

Close to the same thing, but I dropped serving sizes and cut a few carbs.

Totals for non-lift days = 2324/38/215/287 Split = 14/36/50

Workout Routine: Mon/Wed/Fri - Full Body Supersets 3 days per week. Cardio is done Fasted Tues/Thurs/Sat at 60 min Low/Med Intensity. Sunday is Rest Day

Squats 15-20 Rest 90 sec - 3 Sets
    Straight Legged Deadlift 15-20 Supersetted with Calf Raises in/out/straight 7/7/7 - 3 Sets

Pull-up (Until Failure) Supersetted w/Flat Bench 12-15 reps - 3 Sets
    Bent Over Rows 12-15 Supersetted w/Incline Bench 12-15 - 3 Sets

Military Press 12-15 Supersetted with Ab Curls (Until Failure) - 3 Sets
    Upright Rows 20-25 Supersetted with Leg Raises (Until Failure) - 3 Sets

Skull Crushers 12-15 Supersetted with Standing BB Biceps Curls 12-15 - 3 Sets

This log will serve as a motivational tool for me. Unless I'm deathly sick I WILL NOT miss a day or cheat on my meals. I'll be posting daily and look forward to any advice you vets have to give. So let's get started let's get this thing tweaked because I'm already one day into it.

Thanks

Here's my most current pic. I'll update with new pics every few weeks.

9199bb38c660696d595d_4 by slfmade, on Flickr
    Last edited by slfmade; 01-10-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Oh...and Sgt. Hartman. I've now trimmed by "buckwheat" pits (as you called them) just for you. hehehehehehehe

Diet and Workout Update 1/9/11 -

Diet went well. Hit all meals. I know I should be trying to get in more real food and less protein powders, but for now this is the only way I can get down all the calories. As the weeks go by I'll start introducing more whole meals as my stomach gets used to the higher calories.

As far as the workout - TBODY!!!!!!!....Browngirl and I have a love/hate relationship with you right now. Browngirl almost threw up and she actually DID cry on the last superset. I've never wanted to quit a workout early like I did tonight; and tonight it went threw my mind 8 or 9 times. IT SUCKED BAD!!! BUT....WE FINISHED and did it right. I don't think I've ever been that exhausted. Call me a baby if you like, but that is one tough workout. The scary thing is continuing to do this the right way...it'll never get better - pushing til failure means constantly upping the weight so this is gonna suck as bad in 7 weeks as it did tonight. That being said - 1 workout down - 23 more to go!!!!!!!

What's great about these logs and this forum is what kept me going tonight. Accountability - I didn't want to have to get on here and say that I failed. This forum actually pushed me to complete something that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish. I love this place....
    Last edited by slfmade; 01-10-2012 at 01:26 AM.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I don't like the look of that routine to be honest, and 15lbs in 8 weeks naturally is a little ambitious. I wish you all the best and will be following with interest. 15% to 10% in 12 weeks is very achievable. Not keen on all those no bake cookies, and lack of veggies, particularly green ones. You should see some results being a beginner as you said, but you will need to change up later on, this will be hard to shock your body when it's already doing high workouts. Goodluck.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    A very ambitious first 8 weeks. No carbs post workout on a bulk?

I'll be watching though, good luck!

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Glad to hear about the workouts. Nice starting point from the pic, I do like the workout routine, to be honest, but hey, why wouldn't I.... I wrote it for you!

It will accomplish what you want it to accomplish in the first 8 weeks, You might have to up the calories on this program, so moniter your progress very closely. You are determined and aggressive and have the support of your woman and all of us here on the boards, those are a whole lot of things that a whole lot of people don't have when they attempt something like you are. You have more chance to succeed than most.

Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    I don't like the look of that routine to be honest, and 15lbs in 8 weeks naturally is a little ambitious. I wish you all the best and will be following with interest. 15% to 10% in 12 weeks is very achievable. Not keen on all those no bake cookies, and lack of veggies, particularly green ones. You should see some results being a beginner as you said, but you will need to change up later on, this will be hard to shock your body when it's already doing high workouts. Goodluck.
    Tbody took the time to put the routine together for me. I did the routine last night and I can't imagine I won't see good results. I know 10-15lbs of lean body mass with aas is ambitious, but as I said I'm a very goal oriented person so I like to have goals I can work towards. If I don't hit the 10lb gain mark...I'll get over it. The main goal is to be at least 10% bodyfat within 20 weeks without looking like a stick.

What do you have against the no bake cookies??? 128 calories, 1.25g of fat, 14g Carbs, 15g Protein. I eat three of these on Lift days. It consist of old fashioned oats (a great carbs source), whey, and a touch of natty peanut butter. What's wrong with this?

Also, there's a lot of Green Veggies in meal 1,3,4.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    A very ambitious first 8 weeks. No carbs post workout on a bulk?I'll be watching though, good luck!
    At first I had some carbs in the post workout, but I pulled them out. This meal would come 2 hours before bed. It's important that I not gain any bodyfat and I've always heard to steer clear from carbs before bed. I know we've always been told that you have that "1 hour window", but I don't think I buy into this. If you can show me some recent studies that proves this wrong and can show me how it would be beneficial then I would have no problem taking in some carbs. It would actually be the easiest meal to up my calories.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Glad to hear about the workouts. Nice starting point from the pic, I do like the workout routine, to be honest, but hey, why wouldn't I.... I wrote it for you!

It will accomplish what you want it to accomplish in the first 8 weeks, You might have to up the calories on this program, so moniter your progress very closely. You are determined and aggressive and have the support of your woman and all of us here on the boards, those are a whole lot of things that a whole lot of people don't have when they attempt something like you are. You have more chance to succeed than most.
    I know I should try to get in more calories; However, right now this is all my stomach wants to hold. As I mentioned in the above post. The only place I can add calories without feeling like I'm going to explode would be post workout, however, this would be carbs and I'm a little scared to take in carbs this close to bedtime. What do you think about this? Hopefully GBrice will get off his lazy ass and give me some help....LOL

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    Whats up slfmade.
    Just checking in on your progress.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    At first I had some carbs in the post workout, but I pulled them out. This meal would come 2 hours before bed. It's important that I not gain any bodyfat and I've always heard to steer clear from carbs before bed. I know we've always been told that you have that "1 hour window", but I don't think I buy into this. If you can show me some recent studies that proves this wrong and can show me how it would be beneficial then I would have no problem taking in some carbs. It would actually be the easiest meal to up my calories.
    I don't subscribe to the 1 hour window either. But carbs do help with recovery and you won't be having any carbs til meal 1 the next day. So any window is actually a huge door. When I train on an evening I ALWAYS take in 40g carbs (oats) post workout. I don't think they are going to hinder your goals re:bf particularly knowing how hard tbody will be making you work. I drop carbs from one of me earlier meals to acount for the PWO carbs. Note, I do this even when cutting and I have my final meal of the day an hour later.

I'm not saying you need to up the calories, I'm just saying to be keeping a very close eye on all of the progress, or lack thereof. If you had to add some you could do a pre-workout no-carb protein drink with the pancakes and add some cottage cheese to your hamburger patty meal. Only saying if you find a need to do so. My theory is to maximize the muscle gain from the radical workout program while on the bulk phase, if you have an extra 2 to 5 lbs of muscle when you switch to leaning out you have more tools available to burn more fat.

Oh...and Sgt. Hartman. I've now trimmed by "buckwheat" pits (as you called them) just for you. hehehehehehehe
    LMAO! You know I only said that because of this http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...s#.TwzBMJhuHHg

Re: carbs PWO. Eat them for sure. I'm not one to believe in the magic anabolic window either but I definitely wouldn't wait until over 12 hours to consume them. Carbs before bed will not make you fat. As long as they fit the macros that you need for muscle growth that day, taking your carbs PWO before bed would be no different than taking them PWO after a morning session. They will serve the same purpose PWO whether you're asleep or not. An excess of calories at any time is what makes us gain body fat, not the timing of the calories consumed.

Here's what Alan Aragon says about it:

Along with the meal frequency myth often is packaged the meal timing myth. That is, the mistaken belief that eating a meal later in the evening has a somehow more deleterious effect on weight loss/maintenance than if it were eaten earlier in the day. The problem is that there is absolutely no scientific evidence or empirical proof to support this idea. The reasoning behind this claim is that the meal eaten later in the day will be stored as fat more easily because we are less active while sleeping and therefore cannot use the calories eaten in the meal as we would if it were eaten earlier in the day. However, if we are still eating within our daily energy requirements and getting the proper proportions of macronutrients, the timing of the meal bears no effect on how easily it will be stored as fat.

Of course, that is a big IF- because the problems that often occur with late night eating stem from the fact that many people are ADDING to their total daily caloric intake when eating at this time and usually eating high sugar/bad fat junk foods and binge foods. If they ate these foods earlier in the day they’d have the same effect- it’s just that many folks are less likely to do so in the morning or mid-day. So it’s really the fact that lots of late night eating is putting people in excess of their caloric requirements and is filled with non-nutritious junk foods, especially when alcohol is involved. I find that if my clients are being sure to eat enough satiating, nutritious foods each day, they are much less likely to binge or overeat late at night. People who attempt unrealistic diets that deprive them of satiety and appropriate calorie levels are much more likely to breakdown and binge out on junk before bed because they are ravenous.

But, in people whose eating is dialed in and calories are within daily needs, eating healthy meals/snacks later in the evening is perfectly fine if it fits with their schedules and preferences- assuming it doesn’t interfere with their sleep or cause indigestion. In a new ‘metabolic-rehab’ client who is recovering from overeating on the SAD diet, I will restrict late-night eating for a month or two just to remove the possibility of the binge factor- but this is more psychological than biological. Note that this myth extends to the idea that eating carbs at night is worse than earlier in the day- simply not true. As respected nutrition expert Alan Aragon says, “There are no night-time insulin fairies ready & waiting to store carbs in the fat tissue — at least not at any greater rate than they would do so during the day.”

Good Read SGT...So is there any suggested minimum amount of carbs you should take PWO. Can I get away with a 1/2 cup oats (27g)?

Update: Did my 60 min LIC Cardio this morning.

I'm kinda Dreading my workout tomorrow, but at the same time looking forward to the results I get.

Just finished making my food for the next few days - Adding Oats for PWO Meal.

Thanks go out to everyone that's commented so far!

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Best of luck to you!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Thanks Slimmer - By the way - I liked the pancakes. I didn't care to much for the nutmeg, so I took it out and they taste great.

^^ sounds good to me. Sometimes I drink mine!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

I did that program myself for 8 weeks straight 3 times a week without fail. A few things sucked about my particular situation, a terrible gym set-up, it was just a Universal Machine, no free weights, bench press, leg press, military press, pull up handles and dip bars. I worked out alone every single night, no one else wanted to workout with me , I actually vomited during three seperate workouts then had to come back and finish the rest of the routine. What didn't suck, was having to have different clothes sent to me four weeks into my program and more again 4 weeks later because I grew that much!

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I did that program myself for 8 weeks straight 3 times a week without fail. A few things sucked about my particular situation, a terrible gym set-up, it was just a Universal Machine, no free weights, bench press, leg press, military press, pull up handles and dip bars. I worked out alone every single night, no one else wanted to workout with me , I actually vomited during three seperate workouts then had to come back and finish the rest of the routine. What didn't suck, was having to have different clothes sent to me four weeks into my program and more again 4 weeks later because I grew that much!
    Sounds good to me. Even though it's gonna suck I'm sticking with it to the end.

Quick Question about cheat meals on both lean bulk and cutting. I have no desire to even take a cheat day, but I've heard from several people that it's important to take one every once in a while to kinda trick your body. What's the deal with this? If I can avoid a cheat meal....should I? If not, can somebody please explain why? If I should then how often? 1 meal every week? 2 weeks? Thanks

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Cheat meals are a morality boost, also helps keep your metabolism from dropping to low. If you eat the same calories everyday your body adjust to it and you will stop burning fat. It keeps the furnace burning, some people do a cheat every 4 to 7 days, for example my brother eats usually about 3000 calories a day, and every 4th day he bumps it to 5000 so that when he goes back to the 3000 hes burning fat. He will usually do this until he gets to a certain bodyfat, then he will gradually increase the amt. of time between cheat meals.

I personally like a cheat meal, on your current workout schedule you would want to do it, IMO, the last meal the night of your second non-lifting day, or breakfast the next morning, so if you were lifting m/w/f off sat and sunday you would eat a huge carb meal sunday night or monday morning. Whenever I do this I feel and look much fuller and not flat, like I can get from constant dieting.

Will do...Sounds like it's Sushi Sunday's for me!!!

Will do...Sounds like it's Sushi Sunday's for me!!!
    No Fair, sushi's my favorite!

Mine too, but I normally avoid it because I always thought the white rice they use was bad for diets, but if it's a cheat meal......

Sushi rice is white but low GI. Cheat MEAL every 7-10 days will do you no real harm, just make sure it's controlled.

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good luck slfmade, watching your progress!!

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade
    Good Read SGT...So is there any suggested minimum amount of carbs you should take PWO. Can I get away with a 1/2 cup oats (27g)?
    I would up that to 1 full cup of oats!!

I think sushi is a food you could eat every meal, if it didn't have cream cheese anyway

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66
    I think sushi is a food you could eat every meal, if it didn't have cream cheese anyway
    Okay now i know what i can eat for every meal, tuna roll baby!!! lol j/k

Make it 1 cup of oats for PWO.

Don't feel like you HAVE to have a cheat meal every week. I agree that as long as you keep it reasonable it shouldn't do much harm, but there is no benefit to it. Think about it, youre already eating at a caloric surplus that is hopefully maxing out the amount of muscle you can gain per day or per week or whatever, so where will the additional calories of the cheat meal end up going? All the stuff you hear about having a cheat meal every X amount of days is beneficial b/c it keeps your body guessing, or it stimulates the thyroid, or it increases or maintains metabolism is a bunch of BS. If you want a cheat meal then knock it out bro, but it's not necessary in any way.

On your work out days you're already at almost 300 grams of carbs so it's not like you're gonna be flat or need a refeed day. If your main goal is to not gain fat and eventually get to 10% then I would only have the cheat meal when absolutely necessary. To me this is what's so hard about a true lean bulk, you really have to be just as strict if not more strict than when cutting. If you screw up and have a monster cheat meal while cutting and in a caloric deficit then you don't lose weight that week - big deal. But if you have that same monster cheat meal in a lean bulk when you're already at a caloric surplus then you just added unwanted BF.

bowldawg is offline Junior Member
    That workout looks really intriguing. I'll be following your progress as I have some similiar goals. What heart rate are you shooting for during your fasted cardio?

I try to stay 125-130 bpm.

so what is your final take on this thread re: post 19 especially
    as now I am REALLY confused

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...23#post5859723
    Author Unknown

It was awesome to see FG saying cardio wasn't necessary, just preferred by him personally, thanks for that link, Slim!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Slm... will you be updating periodically with pics to measure progress?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    sfmade, i am running that same workout, with limitations (have shoulder/rotator cuff injury), so i know how your feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    so what is your final take on this thread re: post 19 especially
    as now I am REALLY confused

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...23#post5859723
    Are you asking if I think cardio is necessary, or which method I prefer? I don't think cardio is necessary in "theory" based off of the example FG said; however, in a practical sense I think MOST everyone needs to be doing it. There's always gonna be people that can get away with things the rest of us can't. Also, it's a great habit to get into. This is a lifestyle, if you compromise cardio then what's next...diet? I absolutely believe that Diet, exercise, ard cardio are essential to most people looking to drop bodyfat. It's a package deal, if you can't be committed enough to do cardio, it just seems like a matter of time before something else falls out. I think people looking for a reason to get out of cardio will soon look for a reason to get out of their diet.

As far as LIC vs HIIT. What works for some might not work for others and vice versa. I think you should either do both, or experiment with both, to see which works better for you. I don't mind cardio....whether is 60 boring minutes on LIC (which gives me time to think or watch some TV), or 20 minutes of excrutiating HIIT (Which gives me more time to be doing something else), it's all the same to me.

Before starting Tbody's workout I was a fan of 3 days 60min fasted LIC and 2 days 20 min HIIT post workout. I would alternate these of course. However, the routine Tbody put together for me, is like doing 45 HIIT so I don't do HIIT for now. I also wouldn't want to do it on my off days because my legs need recovery from the night before.

Once I start the cutting portion of this Diet my week will probably look something like this for cardio.
    Monday-Workout - Legs - No cardio
    Tues- Fasted LIC 60min
    Wed - Workout followed by 20min HIIT
    Thursday - Fasted LIC 60min
    Friday - Workout followed by 20min HIIT
    Saturday - Fasted LIC 60min
    Sunday - Rest

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Slm... will you be updating periodically with pics to measure progress?
    LOL - Thats all I get from the "Diet God"??? Just playin. I'll be doing weekly weigh-ins and bi-weekly photo's/measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    sfmade, i am running that same workout, with limitations (have shoulder/rotator cuff injury), so i know how your feeling.
    RC - I've been meaning to tell you for two months your avi freaks me out when I see it. The way your shirt hovers over the countertop makes you look like your lower half has been amputated and your upper half is just posing on the countertop.

Anyway, my shoulders been kinda acting up on me a bit lately too, but nothing that prevents me from doing the workout. Shoulder press is fine, it's the flat bench that been irrating me a bit. Hopefully it gets better. How long have you been doing the program? How have your results been so far?

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread Information