Thread: Carb loading...

Dr Pepper is offline Anabolic Member

Carb loading...

Something I'm interested to know. Not competing anytim soon but curious... When carb loading before a comp is it as simple as cutting away all carbs 2 weeks out from your comp and a day before loading up on carbs?

Anyone that's competed or knows the story please chime in, thanks...

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    great question

bump

Come on peeps. No one here competes?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Carb loading is usually a 3-4 day process, mine begins Wednesday morning for a Saturday show. I also take the majority of the carbs earlier in the loading phase. So for me it might be 800 grams carbs Wednesday, 600 thursday and 400 Friday then another 200 or so Saturday morning prior to prejudging.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Ha ha 800g carbs in 1day!! That's gotta be force feeding?! Can't imagine how crap I'd feel.

^^^After 16 weeks of never having a single meal where you felt "full" when you are done, 800 grams of carbs is nothing!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Fair play Firregy, I guess contest prep is something you have to do to really appreciate the difficulties and sacrifices.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Carb loading is usually a 3-4 day process, mine begins Wednesday morning for a Saturday show. I also take the majority of the carbs earlier in the loading phase. So for me it might be 800 grams carbs Wednesday, 600 thursday and 400 Friday then another 200 or so Saturday morning prior to prejudging.
    Yeah 800g grams carbs sounds hard but I get where your coming from. Is there a point though where you cut carbs away all together say 2 weeks out and then u re-introduce them back in like u said 3-4 days before the day?

If you are on a keto diet you may not have had a carb in months. I will cut them out completely for 3-5 days prior to the loading phase and I will also be doing total body depletion workouts prior to loading as well. Trust me, after this 8 meals at a 100 grams of carbs a piece isnt hard at all, I am sure I could slam 1200 and still be a bit hungry. About the 3rd meal of my first loading day I can feel my brain start to wake up and my vision actually improves. It's like a haze has been lifted. My Avy pic was taken on a Wednesday before my last show after getting hit with about 400 grams of carbs. It was fun watching my forearm go from zero vascularity to what you see in a matter of minutes.

Cool, thanks mate! Yeah your avi looks amazing, what do u weigh in in stage? I realize everyone's carb load might be differant but it's good to get an Idea of how it works. Thanks again

BumP for anyone else that's had these experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
    Cool, thanks mate! Yeah your avi looks amazing, what do u weigh in in stage? I realize everyone's carb load might be differant but it's good to get an Idea of how it works. Thanks again
    Good question as your carb load requirements should be based on the amount of LBM you are carrying. I am usually high 180's low 190's on contest day after drying out.

Hey mate just wondering on your 3 days were u stop all fluids before your comp do u ever run the risk of dehydration?

I dont stop fluids for 3 days, no need to try and cut water for that amount of time. My water intake usually stops right around noon-2pm on Friday so less than 24 hours. As far as risking dehydration, I am not only risking it I am making sure it happens. When prejudging comes around you are extremely dehydrated. This one of the reasons prejudging is so taxing. Posing as hard as you can for 10-15 minutes straight is one of the most intense things you can ever do. Doing it while extremely dehydrated makes it even worse.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    FG would going completely keto for 1 week, then carb loading for 3 days and taking a diuretic on your 3 carb load days be fine?

The Keto and carb load would work, as far as the diuretic it would depend what kind you are using. if Aldactone I would be using it the entire week, Diazide I would do for 1-2 days and Lasix just once the day or morning prior.

Thread Information