Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rya
    Rya is offline Junior Member
    Decided to create a separate thread for bulk phases of my diet, it seems inevitable that I will be in some form of planned diet for the foreseeable future, I have seen the light!! I thought it would be better to keep cut/bulk threads separate.

I have no reason to lie/mislead people etc etc I know that advice is given out because people want to not because they have to and I do appreciate all feedback given.

So, let me start with my current stats and then I'll outline my goals and how I plan to achieve those goals.

Starting stats :
    Height : 5.7
    Weight : 136.6lb
    BF : 11-12%
    Start date : 09/12/2011
    End date : 18/01/2012 (provisional date)

Starting picture :
    Diet

Macro : 40/45/15 (P/C/F)
    Calories : 2600
    Protein - 260
    Carbs - 292
    Fat - 43

This is cycle #1, My cycle will be test prop only, 100mg eod, 6-8 weeks.

Goals : Add muscle (as lean as I can)

I will be doing a calliper check every 2 weeks, I will also endeavour to post pictures every 2 weeks.

Training routine

Monday : shoulders / traps
    Tuesday : back/arms
    Wednesday : chest
    Thursday : legs
    Friday : repeat day (lighter weights)
    Saturday : repeat day (lighter weights)
    Sunday - rest

Every training session is followed by 30min cardio, cardio is treadmill 6kph 10-15 incline (hr dependant)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rya's Bulk thread-front11122011.jpg   Rya's Bulk thread-backlat11122011.jpg   Rya's Bulk thread-backdblebi11122011.jpg   Rya's Bulk thread-frontdblebi11122011.jpg   Rya's Bulk thread-sidea11122011.jpg  

Rya's Bulk thread-sideb11122011.jpg   Rya's Bulk thread-bulk.jpg  
    Last edited by Rya; 12-17-2011 at 04:08 PM.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    You obviously need to bulk. Post some pics for your best feedback, critique and encouragement. How long have you been lifting? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the bulk phase(be specific, ie: put 2" on my chest and an inch on my arms, increase my bench by 50lbs, etc...) List your specific workout with exact exercises sets/reps/poundages and I will provide some feedback about your bulking workout program, if you'd like. We are glad you are here and I am excited to see what you accomplish.

Rya
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66
    You obviously need to bulk. Post some pics for your best feedback, critique and encouragement. How long have you been lifting? What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the bulk phase(be specific, ie: put 2" on my chest and an inch on my arms, increase my bench by 50lbs, etc...) List your specific workout with exact exercises sets/reps/poundages and I will provide some feedback about your bulking workout program, if you'd like. We are glad you are here and I am excited to see what you accomplish.
    Heya tbody, thanks for the response. With regards to my specific goal, I have an end goal but nothing specific inbetween; I would like to be around 12st (168lb) @ 8% bf - everything is building towards that, this might take a few years,if its even achievable for me, but that's the goal.

Ive been training off and on for around 5 years, my eating habits have been in check for around 4 months ish - I wasn't really really bad before but It was crap.

From memory, my workout is as below. I know that it needs an overhaul, don't be too harsh!!!

All body parts have a couple warm up sets before hand I.e i do warm up sets for shoulder press but not before raises etc etc. I do abs most days. Weakest area - chest.

Shoulders

Dumbbell press : 22-24kg 3 sets of 8-10
    Dumbbell Front raises : 10-12kg 3 sets of 8-10
    cables for side/rear delts : I don't know the weight but it's fairly low
    Arnie press : 20kg 3 sets of 8-10

Traps : dumbbell shrugs 36kg 3 sets of 8-10

Back
    Deadlifts : 115kg 3 sets of 8-10
    Dumbbell rows : 34kg 3 sets of 8-10
    Free weight Chins : 3 sets to failure

Arms

Dumbbell curls : 16kg 3 sets of 8-10
    Hammer curls : 14kg 3 sets of 8-10
    Preacher curls : 12kg 3 sets of 8-10

Chest
    Flat bench : 60kg(max) 3 sets of 8-10
    Incline bench (dumbbell) : 28-30kg
    Decline bench : 50kg
    Dumbbell flys : 14kg 3 sets of 8-10

Triceps

Overhead thing (like kickbacks I guess but overhead): 10kg 3 sets of 8-10
    Rope Pulldowns : don't know weight
    Free weight Dips

Legs
    Squats : 60-70kg 3x8-10
    Leg curls : don't know the weight
    Calf raises : don't know the weight

Abs
    Cable crunches
    Leg raise things ( on a dip rack or whatever it's called )
    Side dips 10kg

I don't keep track of weight, maybe I should.

Go ahead and rip it apart!

I have a big dinner that I need to prepare for tonight, so I won't be able to focus on this til tomorrow. All of your goals are achievable and having the proper mind set of the long term approach is commendable. If you have a two year plan than it can be divided into monthly goals which can be divided into weekly goals divided into daily goals, exercise, diet and rest all play a part in your progress and with the starting pictures and pictures posted every two weeks it will be incredibly easy to critique and modify any and all recommendations. I very much look forward to seeing you get where you want to as quickly and safely as possible.

Rya
    Well, day1 today.

Had a big night out Friday, started at 4pm ended 4am.. In work at 8am... Recovery all weekend. Digi scales aren't working, think the battery is dead, not the best start.

My chicken was pre weighed into portions so that's fine but my sweet potato is all guestimate - probably less than I have planned in.

Should be getting the gear this evening so jab #1 is either tonight after training or in the morning before work.

No planned drinking for a while so that's a plus.

So is the 2200 cal diet what you're currently eating to maintain, or is that what you're planning to eat while on cycle?

Rya
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman
    So is the 2200 cal diet what you're currently eating to maintain, or is that what you're planning to eat while on cycle?
    The 2200 is my starting value, going from 1800yesterday to 2200 today, based upon my current stats that would be my maintenance amount but as I've never done a proper bulk diet before im using it as my starting bulk amount and will adjust it accordingly, the aim is for as lean a bulk as possible. I am open to views on when you think that I should reasses my diet values.

Side note, had meal #4 45min ago and I really didn't want to eat it! Forced it down though.

Mondays and thursdays are push days: Chest/shoulders/triceps/abs
    Tuesdays and fridays are pull days: back/biceps
    Wednesdays are legs all by themselves(although you will do calves on mondays and fridays also, you need to hit calves three times a week)
    Mondays and Tuesdays will be your heavy days and thursdays and fridays your light days, just like you have them now, you will perform similar exercises but the rep range will change.
    always start your workout by jumping rope for one minute solid, when you can do that easily then start adding 15 second increments to your warmup until you are at five minutes of rope jumping and then just stay with that.

Mon:
    Chest:
    Flat Bench, warm-up sets, these should be three rep warm up sets with progressive weight until you reach your workout weight, then three sets of 8 - 12 reps, go to failure each time, go up in weight when you are hitting all three sets 12 or more reps
    Incline Bench, no warm up sets here, your chest is warmed up from the flat bench, three workout sets, same rep range.
    flat dumbell flyes - this is not a mass exercise, it is a stretching exercise, the weight does not matter, as a matter of fact it should be just heavy enough to help your arms get a full stretch at the bottom, too heavy and you can cause yourself damage, slow and controlled with a full stretch at the bottom and a pause, when you contract the muscle bring the weights as close together as possible without touching them, and then turn the pinkies in towards each other while feeling the middle of your chest come together.
    Shoulders:
    The front's of your shoulders have been thoroughly worked here, so we'll move onto the tops and rears.
    Military press: sets and reps the same as the bench press, machine or barbell, depending on your gym
    Dumbbell Shrugs. Pause at the top and bottom, straight up and down, don't roll your shoulders, put the tops of your shoulders into your ears, I like going progressively higher in poundages within the rep range until I can't properly perform the exercise.
    Rear shoulder raises. Bend at the waist, pic a very...very...very...light weight, 5 lbs to start, lean over parallel with the ground with your knees bent and look in front of you at the wall/mirror, keeping your elbows locked and arms straight down in front of you raise them out to your sides with your pinkies up towards the ceiling. At the top of the movement you want them to be about 3 inches above your shoulders and even with your eyeballs, trust me, this hurts and is effective. 8-12 reps, pause at the top.
    Triceps:
    bodyweighted dips to failure, three sets
    skull crushers, three sets 8-12 reps
    Abs:
    Crunches 3 sets 51 reps
    Calves:
    Toe presses 3 sets 51 reps

Tues:
    Back:
    Lat Pull downs 3 sets 8-12 reps, followed by bent over barbell rows 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Biceps:
    Straight bar curls, full range 3 sets 8-12 reps, concentration dumbbell curls 3 sets 8-12 reps

Wed:
    Legs: Squats: progressive warm up sets of 11 reps until workout weight, then three sets of 15 - 20 reps, same philosophy as the bench, go to failure, increase weight when you are performing over 20 reps for each of the three sets, when you add the weight it should drop you down to only being able to accomplish 15 reps on your last set.
    Straight legged dead lifts super setted with standing calf raises or toe extensions, stiff legged deads should be done in the 15-20 rep range and calves should be done in sets of 21's, 7 toes in heels out, 7 heels in toes out and 7 straight on.
    Finish with superset for legs, going from machine to machine to machine for the three exercises for the three sets leg extension/leg curl/toe presses, start all over, little or no rest between sets.

Thurs:
    Chest:
    Incline dumbbell presses, start with a light weight 40 lbs for example, and perform 12-15 reps, then increase by 5 lbs each time within the same rep range, you want to do five work sets, so make sure you are ending at a weight that you can barely get those 12 reps with on your fifth set
    Flat dumbbell presses, your chest is already warmed up, go with three workout sets in that 12-15 rep range
    Shoulders:
    Rear raises again, just like last time except this time work in the 15-20 rep range
    Upright rows, I do this for the traps on shoulder day, 3 sets of 25 reps, do not let the weight go all the way down at the bottom, slow and controlled, no lower than the belly button at the bottom of the motion and almost touch the chin at the top, keep the weight in close to the body the entire time, I use the ez curl bar for this.
    Triceps:
    rope pushdowns, 3 sets 25 reps, followed by bench dips, three sets to failure
    Abs:
    Bicycles: 3 sets 51 reps, Hanging leg raises: 3 sets 51 reps

Fri:
    Back:
    Deadlifts 3 sets 15-20 reps
    Biceps:
    dumbbell hammer curls, 3 sets, 12-15 reps followed by dumbbell preacher curls, 3 sets 8-12 reps.
    Calves:
    Toe presses 3 sets 51 reps

I would recommend you stick with this for the first month then we will drop the rep range so you can handle more weight as your cycle kicks in and your strength is growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya View Post
    The 2200 is my starting value, going from 1800yesterday to 2200 today, based upon my current stats that would be my maintenance amount but as I've never done a proper bulk diet before im using it as my starting bulk amount and will adjust it accordingly, the aim is for as lean a bulk as possible. I am open to views on when you think that I should reasses my diet values.

Side note, had meal #4 45min ago and I really didn't want to eat it! Forced it down though.
    Are you running a short ester or a long ester and what's your cycle?

I would start at no less than 500cal over maintenance level and would start it as soon as the gear takes effect, so 1 week for prop or +- week 4 for e or cyp.

If you just eat at maintenance while on a simple test cycle you will get a good recomp, be strong as hell temporarily, and gain some weight mostly due to excess muscle glycogen and water retention but you will lose it after your cycle b/c you won't have actually grown any significant amount of new muscle tissue. I understand you're trying to keep it lean but if you want to increase LBM you need excess food to do it. Don't be too worried about gaining fat at 500cal over maintenance while on cycle, the gear will greatly improve you bodies nutrient partitioning abilities and as long as your cals are clean and your WO program is on point, I would be very surprised if you gain any fat at all.

I personally will never run another bulking cycle without priming beforehand, the results are pretty amazing. Read this and consider it for next time. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread....#.Tt2AvGBuHJw

Good luck.

Rya
    Gear is delayed a bit, it will be test prop and I will be taking 100mg eod, currently I guess im just maintaining weight and maybe building strength back up a bit.

My weight this morning was 136.6lb so no change since Sunday! Obv I've got a few days until I weigh again properly. As the aim currently is to maintain, things aren't going too bad. Assuming that my weight is roughly the same on Sunday as it is currently, then I will be increasing my cals once I start the cycle to 2600.

Get those before pics up, we're excited to see what you are going to accomplish.

Rya
    Get those before pics up, we're excited to see what you are going to accomplish.
    Is there a set of poses that I should try and replicate?

If you go to the transformation thread there is a list of poses you should get used to performing so everyone can see the overall progress or need thereof!

Rya
    Diet and shitty pictures posted.

It seems that i will pretty much be eating brown rice for the duration, the rice values are cooked weight, chicken is uncooked.

Supplements taken;
    Morning : Multi Vit/Mineral
    FIsh oils to topup fat value
    ZMA before bed

Injection 1 was on Friday PM; right quad. Injection 2 will be done shortly.

Rya
    I can see why people resort to shakes, 67g of carbs 54g of protein in my PWO shake and it was done with within minutes (I like to take my time rather than smash it down asap) where as the chicken and rice is a battle of he wills!!

Great pics and great base for beginning a wonderful, healthy and productive bodybuilding lifestyle. You have a major issue that needs to be addressed, it appears, your right leg must be shorter (approx 2" I would wager), and this could cause you major problems going forward. Have you had this checked?

Rya
    Great pics and great base for beginning a wonderful, healthy and productive bodybuilding lifestyle. You have a major issue that needs to be addressed, it appears, your right leg must be shorter (approx 2" I would wager), and this could cause you major problems going forward. Have you had this checked?
    Nope, it might just be poor posture. Well hopefully it's just poor posture, I've got enough issues to deal with without being lopsided!!!

Rya
    Had a great workout this evening, trained with a friend and he pushed me beyond where I would normally go! I miss having a training partner, being self motivated is one thing but having someone there who knows what there doing to push you further really does help!

Did chest tonight, not my norm tue workout but it's my weakest area and the area that I generally don't push myself in, so it made sense to.

Eating is getting easier, there aren't any points where I feel hungry and I am keeping intensity throughout my workout whilst pushing myself harder.

I'd appreciate some feedback around my diet; is the daily PB ok? I'm using it to bump my fat macro and it's a treat to boot!

Good to hear about the workout. I don't have a problem with the PB, I'd even be okay with you having a jar of PB a day and washed down with a gallon of whole milk!

Rya
    I hope that you all had a pleasant Xmas / NYear.

I guess that I've learnt that starting a bulk just before Christmas isn't the best idea, ohh well.

I only went to the gym once last week and my eating was completely relaxed, I didnt take the piss but ive definitely put on a cple lb of fat - no big drama it will be gone soon enough.

Back to work/the gym properly today, can't wait!

New year, new me~

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    good luck mate

tear it up and keep us posted (DAILY) !

Brohim is offline Senior Member
    Rya your diet and workout seems good! Please post each day on how your feeling and your workout's. Eating should get easier as you go along.

Also get some HCG if you haven't already. Run it 500iu twice a week. This is important.
    Last edited by Brohim; 01-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Rya
    Did chest/tri last night, chest was "ok" By the time I'd finished chest there wasn't a lot left for tri's, not the greatest workout but first day back so I wasn't expecting a whole lot.

Weighed myself this morning; 143.0lb, next diet review date is the 15th.

Back/bi this evening.

Glad to see you plowing ahead and taking the methodical approach. I'm truly excited to see what you are going to accomplish on this bulk!

Rya
    Wednesday was bi/back; biceps was a pretty good workout, back was a bit lacklustre - didn't do deds

Last night was shoulders / traps

What I'm starting to find for some exercises is that it's more difficult to get the weight into place than it is to do the reps. Might swap exercises or find a machine to do it on.

Workout wasn't in the order below.

Dumbbell shoulder press

Warmup set 12 reps
    Set1 : 30kg 9 reps
    Set2 : 30kg 7 reps
    Set3 : 28kg 9 reps - couldn't get 30kg into position

Side raises ( cables )
    Set1 : 10kg 10 reps
    Set2 : 12kg 8 reps - struggled
    Set3 : 10kg 10 reps

Front dumbbell raises

Set1 : 12kg 10 reps
    Set2 : 12kg 10 reps
    Set3 : 12kg 4 reps dropset to 10kg 6 reps

Rear dumbbell raises

Set1 : 12kg 10 reps
    Set2 : 12kg 10 reps
    Set3 : 12kg 10 reps

Arnie press - last exercise - 20kg 3 sets max 6 reps, didn't log it

Dumbbell raises

Set1-3 36kg 10 reps - 36kg is the heaviest dumbbell, will look into alternatives.

Upright rows - bb

Set1-3 20kg 10 reps - supersetted with front raises

Triceps then chest tonight, legs tomorrow.

My eating has been to plan, tho last night I did have 4 chocolates and a tangerine - might count that as my treat meal for this week as I have nothing planned for this weekend.

My sleep has been pretty shit this week, it does seem to be getting better though.

My workout plan for the next 2 weeks is as follows, with 30min low intensity cardio after every workout ;

Sun - rest
    Mon - back / bi
    Tue - chest / tri
    Wed - shoulders / traps
    Thu - legs
    Fri - tri / chest
    Sat - bi / back
    Sun - rest
    Mon - shoulders / traps
    Tue - chest / tri
    Wed - legs
    Thu - back / bi
    Fri - shoulders / traps
    Sat - tri / chest

I'm considering writing off anything before jan, what I refering to is cycle time, as I only had one full week of training and only a few dad over Xmas / NY. This would mean that my cycle would continue for another 11 weeks ending near the end of march. This would mean a total injection period of 15 weeks, is that a bad idea?? Should I just continue for another 8 weeks??

I need some advice on whether I should encorporate some winstrol into the end of my cycle or not??

What sort of period should I wait before starting a second cycle?
    Last edited by Rya; 01-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Rya
    Quote Originally Posted by Brohim
    Also get some HCG if you haven't already. Run it 500iu twice a week. This is important.
    Can hcg be done at the same time as test or does it need to be seperate?

Rya
    Had a great tricep workout! Impacted on chest though, but then that's why I'm rotating between chest/tri and tri/chest.

Drank my shake in no time, not actualy hungry but I could definately eat again!!

Legs tomorrow, not looking forward to it!

Rya
    Pretty good leg workout this afternoon, expecting to feel it in the morning!!

BB squat

Warmup1 - 40kg 12 reps
    Warmup2 - 60kg 12 reps
    Set1 - 65kg 12 reps
    Set2 - 70kg 12 reps
    Set3 - 70kg 10 reps

Leg extension

S1 100lb 12 reps
    S2 115lb 10 reps
    S3 130lb 10 reps

Seated calf raises

S1 205lb 10 reps
    S2 205lb 12 reps
    S3 205lb 12 reps

Leg curls

S1 115lb 10 reps
    S2 115lb 10 reps
    S3 115lb 8 reps

Followed by a quick abs session and 30min low intensity cardio, looking forward to having a rest day tomorrow.

Rya
    My weight yesterday morning was 144.6lb so an increase of 1.6lb since last week and an overall increase of 8lb, how much of that is lbm, idk.

I had planned on doing back/bi tonight but I might switch it to chest/tri as my legs are still tired from Saturday and there no way I'd be able to do deadlifts if they still feel like this later.

Rya, what made you go with your posted workouts as opposed to the one I wrote? Just curious. I think at your size with the intent to bulk, sticking with simple heavier lifts and fewer exercises per body-part makes sense. I really don't see the need for your shoulders and traps to have their own day.

Rya
    Rya, what made you go with your posted workouts as opposed to the one I wrote? Just curious. I think at your size with the intent to bulk, sticking with simple heavier lifts and fewer exercises per body-part makes sense. I really don't see the need for your shoulders and traps to have their own day.
    Initially it was me being comfortable with what I was doing / the Xmas NYear period, I'd forgotten that you'd posted it if im honest.

I'll take a look through it today, I will likely have questions around some exercises; we can hopefully get those ironed out quickly and I'll look to implement the workout starting from next week.

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Listen to TBODY, when it comes to workouts (lifting) he knows what he's talking about!!!!

Initially it was me being comfortable with what I was doing / the Xmas NYear period, I'd forgotten that you'd posted it if im honest.

I'll take a look through it today, I will likely have questions around some exercises; we can hopefully get those ironed out quickly and I'll look to implement the workout starting from next week.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    Listen to TBODY, when it comes to workouts (lifting) he knows what he's talking about!!!!
    Thanks, papi.

Rya
    Feel like crap this evening, I won't be going to the gym, hopefully a full nights rest will sort me out so that I can get back at it tomorrow. Still need to go through your training plan tbody, might do it this evening.

Feel like crap this evening, I won't be going to the gym, hopefully a full nights rest will sort me out so that I can get back at it tomorrow. Still need to go through your training plan tbody, might do it this evening.
    Okay, sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

Rya

Okay, sorry to hear you're not feeling well.
    It was thankfully short lived.

My weight yesterday was 143.0lb so no change

Had a busy weekend so didn't get around to posting, followed your workout plan this evening, details of how it went below.

Exercise 1 - bench press; well, I didn't do bench press, I did converging chest press on a machine, my reasoning for this is that I feel comfortable pushing myself on the machine more than with a BB

Warmups 1-3 don't remember the weight, 3 reps each set with an increase in weight each set.

Set 1 : 145lb 12 reps
    Set 2 : 150lb 8 reps
    Set 3 : 150lb 8 reps

Incline dumbbell press

Set 1-3 : 28kg 8/8/7 reps

Dumbbell fly

Set 1-3 : 12kg 8/8/8

Shoulder press - I noticed the difference here, knew that I wouldnt be able to lift what I would had I done shoulders on a seperate day.

Set 1 - 26kg 8 reps
    Set 2 - 26kg 8 reps
    Set 3 - 24kg 8 reps - dropped weight as I didn't think I'd get the 28's into place

Dumbbell shrugs

Set 1-3 : 34kg 12/12/12

Lateral shoulder raises ( machine )- should have been rear raises, mix up.

I dont appear to have made a note of this ><

Tricep dips - body weight to failure

Sets 1-3 : 19/9/9

Skull crushers - another mixup, did overhead 1h dumbbell

Sets 1-3 : 10/8/8

Toe presses, looked these up on YouTube and the machine that the person was using was a 45 degree leg press - my gym doesn't have one used what was there and it was tougher than expected - couldn't do 51 reps!

Sets 1-3 didn't make a note of weight, 30 reps was the max I got in a single set.

Cable crunches - 3 sets x 51 reps didn't make a note of the weight.

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member
    Hey man, how many calories are you running per day? Is it the 2200? And how is the bodyfat? Im intereated to know as ive just started logging with stats the same as your starting stats and trying to figure what to bump m cals upto.

are you running gear yet also?

Rya
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    Hey man, how many calories are you running per day? Is it the 2200? And how is the bodyfat? Im intereated to know as ive just started logging with stats the same as your starting stats and trying to figure what to bump m cals upto.

are you running gear yet also?
    Im eating close to 2600 calories atm, i am currently running 100mg Test prop EOD. 2200 is around my maint value - which is what i eat on non workout days.

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member
    Nice one. How is the bodyfat measurements with the increase in calories coming along?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information