Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jpowell is offline Banned

plateau busting.

ok 1st im not even sure this is the rite area, diet vs. workout. but wat wod b the best way to bust a plateau? i had rather nice losage, but now for the like the last month my weight has been stagnant. can't get lower than 234 lbs. shod i switch up diet and macros, or change sum things in my workout? or do both? other vital include 24% bf, 70 inches. have been on a 5 day split and do cardio between 5-7x a week post workout. any help/suggestions?

Homer 8 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpowell
    ok 1st im not even sure this is the rite area, diet vs. workout. but wat wod b the best way to bust a plateau? i had rather nice losage, but now for the like the last month my weight has been stagnant. can't get lower than 234 lbs. shod i switch up diet and macros, or change sum things in my workout? or do both? other vital include 24% bf, 70 inches. have been on a 5 day split and do cardio between 5-7x a week post workout. any help/suggestions?
    Your bodyfat is at 24% right now is it?
    Seem as this thread is in diet forum why dont you post up ur diet and look at that also all ur other stats so we know what we're dealing with

Quote Originally Posted by Homer 8 View Post
    Your bodyfat is at 24% right now is it?
    Seem as this thread is in diet forum why dont you post up ur diet and look at that also all ur other stats so we know what we're dealing with
    yea bf is currently 24%, down from 36.
    my diet is pretty simple and clean.
    3 eggs, string cheese, banana
    5 oz chicken, 1cup veggies (broc)
    5 oz chicken, 1cup veggies (cali)
    5 oz chicken, 1cup rice (whole grain)
    2 scoops EAS 100% protein, 20 almonds

my other stats:
    bf 24%
    age 25
    height 70 inches
    weight 234

thanks bro.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    jp hows it going man? welcome to the nutrition section...u need to post ur macros for each meal(if u can) and the entire day.. also the times u eat as well as times u workout and the amt of cardio u do each week.. based on ur weight and bf ur BMR should be 2112.. how many calories are u eating per day?? what are u bsing that number on?

assuming ur goal is fatloss...at a glance for starters meal 1 needs improvement IMO.. id drop the cheese and banana and add oats .. change the 3 eggs to 1 egg and 5whites..also for meal 6 it is recommended to use casein protein before bed over whey.. i dont know what urs is but thought id tell u that.. personally i have lowfat cottage cheese,chicken breast and nat peanut butter....

some others will chime in im sure .. like i said get all the other info .. that way itll be known what ur working with..

good luck..

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    WELCOME!

and like 405 mentioned above.....

especially the string cheese.....gotta go. Just has to go if you want to shed BF.

And the real trick to busting a plateau IMO? CARDIO in the morning. First thing. Get up outta bed and go out the door and walk fast or run for at least 25 minutes and you will see the BF melt off. It works. And as many days in a row as you can. And then if possible add another cardio in later in the day more high intensity.

GOOD LUCK!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    my forte' is the workout, I think you can blast through this plateau with a shift in your diet and a crazy shock to your central nervous system via a crazy change in the lifting routine. Post your complete routine, in detail, include each exercise with sets/reps/poundages. We'll help get you through and better than ever!

omg, thanx my brothers. i am super motivated at the help everybody is willing to offer me. give me a min and ill have all the addtl info needed. like i said I'm super motivated! but like tbody66 says--how can you tell its in the workout or the diet?

IMO Jp u cant have too many things going for u my man.. If u attack this plateau from all sides my guess is thatd be tbe best recipe fir success!!

And tbody can def put togethr a workout to put a hurtn on ya.. Im speakn from first hand ezperience

ok everybody, I've come up with a diet. lemme no what you think. i based off the 40/40/20 split. my macros r 35g pro, 58g carbs splitting only for 3 meals, and fats 8g. pro and fats are split for five meals.

meal #1 between 7-8a.
    2eggs, eas 1 scoop, 1cup oats, 1 banana.
    meal #2 between 1030-1130a.
    chicken breast, egg
    meal #3 between
    beef 95/5,
    meal #4 pre workout
    sweet potato, chicken breast
    meal #5 post workout also last meal of day
    eas,
    chicken breast, natty pb, couscous.

lol it took me so long to come up with items to hit every macro just were i needed it to be. comment away n lemme no what you think. def open to suggestions. ill stick to my current diet for a couple a days so nothing is finalized yet.

I like your stats. I'd love to see some pics cause you have the makings of a future ANIMAL. On the diet side, drop the eas in the am and the banana, make up the difference with egg whites. Also need to know your total cals for the day. What time is your last meal? If you can do the post workout as an EAS protein drink alone and then do the last meal an hour later before bed I think you will get more out of it. Also want to see that workout routine. I want to know what you are doing to make sure you are getting enough water, that could be a plateau cause all by itself. You should be getting an absolute minimum of 125 oz of water per day!

ok, i don't think i can post pic yet bus I'm still new. but i get it a lot of time in my gym people saying things like just like u did, future animal, i gotta get rid of this bs i got on me tho..ok. ill drop the eas really only added it to hit my mark. n just like u said, eas after workout n about a hour later will b that meal. time wise that'll b around 8. water, I'm drinking 1.5 gal a day. n my routine i will have that 2mrw it n my gym locker. totals for the day, based off cal wod be pro 175/ carbs 174/ fats 40. thanks bro!

duplicate post?!
    Last edited by jpowell; 12-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpowell View Post
    ok everybody, i've come up with a diet. Lemme no what you think. I based off the 40/40/20 split. My macros r 35g pro, 58g carbs splitting only for 3 meals, and fats 8g. Pro and fats are split for five meals.

Meal #1 between 7-8a.
    2eggs, eas 1 scoop, 1cup oats, 1 banana. like tbody said drop banana and eas add egg whites to compensate for protein
    meal #2 between 1030-1130a.
    Chicken breast, egg add fibrous green veggie(broccoli,spinach,asparagus)
    meal #3 between
    beef 95/5, add fibrous green veggie(broc,spinach,asparagus)
    meal #4 pre workout
    sweet potato, chicken breast
    meal #5 post workout also last meal of day
    eas,
    chicken breast, natty pb, couscous.

Lol it took me so long to come up with items to hit every macro just were i needed it to be. Comment away n lemme no what you think. Def open to suggestions. Ill stick to my current diet for a couple a days so nothing is finalized yet.
    also like tbody said.. Total daily calories?? Are u weighing ur chikn breast and yam prior to cooking to make sure u hit propr macros??
    Cardio..when are you doing it?for how long ? And how many days/week?? I do all of mine in the am before work and before i eat anything except 10g bcaa.. The fat comes off alot better

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    also like tbody said.. Total daily calories?? Are u weighing ur chikn breast and yam prior to cooking to make sure u hit propr macros??
    Cardio..when are you doing it?for how long ? And how many days/week?? I do all of mine in the am before work and before i eat anything except 10g bcaa.. The fat comes off alot better
    sorry total aday is 2239, i wanna cut, so less 500 giving me 1739. yes everything is measured. and i also use myplate.com to measure and track. my cardio is don at night--shod i switch to am and night or just am? and i will post my workout later today.

im no expert but i can tell u ive had excellent results with am cardio before u eat anything.. u will want to ingest 10g bcaa 15minutes(if possible) prior to cardio to preserve LBM.. do 45 minutes moderate.. im a big fan of the elliptical.. alot easier than running and just as effective IMO..

1700 cals sounds a tad low to me.. when i started i was 213lbs at 22% bf and eating 2150 cals and that was a 900 calorie deficit from my tdee..

234lbs x .4536 =106.14kg(total weight)
    106.14 x .24(%Bf) = 25.47kg(fat)
    106.14 - 25.47 = 80.67LBM

370 + (21.6 x 80.67) = 2112(BMR)
    tdee = 2112 x 1.55(moderate multiplier) = 3273 cals

tdee can be a tad high.. even if u ran 900 calorie deficit like i did ur total daily cals would be:2373(sound better than 1700?)

40/40/20 split = 237g protein/237g carb/57g fat

personally i think thats WAY TOO MANY CARBS but its just my opinion.. curious as to what others think.. GB , SteM??

i only eat 100g carbs.. maybe not enuff for u but i would def not eat 240 if i were u.. if anything maybe 160 and add like 70 g protein and see how that works.... i myself am finding great results with 100 grams.. and u are only 20lbs heavier than my starting weight..

hey thanks for doing that, i used the method outlined in the sticky tho. obvi i did sum thing wrong and forgot to plug things in. I'm glad i gotta support system to find errors or i proli would have screwed myself big time. what is the method called that you are running?

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
    LBM = total wt(kg) - fat wt(kg)
    TDEE = BMR X activity level(1.55 being moderate/5 days per week)

TDEE has reputation of coming out a little high which is why im running mine with 900 calorie deficit and ive lost 20lbs fat and basically no LBM.. i do eat 300g protein everyday(which is why i think i havent lost LBM) and only 100g carbs..

And i cant reiterate enuff the am fasted cardio..45mins -60mins

I lookd at tHe sticky ur talkn about i think and it appears it uses a difft method for coming up with BMR.. i was taught thr most accurate way to get BMR is to base it on ur LBM(lean body mass)... The thought is with BMR BEING BASED ON TOTAL WEIGHT and height it is using fat weight to calculate total needed calories which is incorrect because fat is non-contributory tissue when it comes to consuming calories.. So why use its weight when calculating BMR... Makes sense...

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Well, there is a couple reasons why people don't lose weight...It's either diet, workout routine or both....Most of the time it's both.

Major keys to losing weight:

Fasted cardio in the morning

Second cardio session after lifitng

fats 75-100 grams

carbs 150-200 (At your weight)

Carbs should only be eaten in the morning, pre-workout, and post-workout

Carbs should also be eaten with LOW FAT meals (For instance, chicken breast could be eaten with carbs, if you're having red meat no carbs with that meal)

Increase frequency of small meals to speed up metabolism

*****Don't listen to this high rep, low weight shenanigans.....Cardio and diet determine if you're going to lose or gain....PLAIN AND SIMPLE*********

thanks for chiming in calstate23!

405, wat are your current stats? also thanks for that info. i just finished working out, and my bf% 1 point n a matter of days. kinda excited!

Started 11weeks ago at 213lbs/21.8%bf
    Yestrday stats:193lb/13.2%bf

Also im 5'9" and 37yrs

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Started 11weeks ago at 213lbs/21.8%bf
    Yestrday stats:193lb/13.2%bf

Also im 5'9" and 37yrs
    good job mate! nice, nice progress! just a clean diet + cardio + w/o? id like to "copy" your diet will you post it? ive learned that its not so much bout the weight, but bf% numbers. and i bet you looked nice at those stats!

Well ur more than welcome to copy my diet.. I cant say for sure itll work for u like it is working for me cuz were all difft.. However i do feel it is a solid system for dropping fat and retaining muscle...

I hvae a thread in this forum (405 accountability/progress log) .. Feel free to chek it out.. The diet is in there.. If u have probs finding it let me know .. Im on cellphone rite now so i cant cut and paste ... I think pics r on pgs 7,12,&13 of my log

ok thanks my man. i just wanna look it over for some basics and building blocks. appreciate it.

Post your plan after evaluating all information.

Chemical engineer is offline New Member
    Change! Your body adapts to everything. More cardio, less calories and carbs, more calories. I subscribe to a couple of medical journals. They had an interesting take. For 17 days consume 500 calories below maintanence. Next 17 days be at your maintanence level. Rinse and repeat. Why 17 days? dont know. Have I tried it . no

for morning cario-- where I'm at, its turning winter. so is anybody familiar with the cardio x routine from p90x? will this suffice for fasted session?

for morning cario-- where I'm at, its turning winter. so is anybody familiar with the cardio x routine from p90x? will this suffice for fasted session?
    I used to do p90x but its been awhile.. From wat i recall every video was tuff as hell my guess would be the cardio x would be fine the main thing is just keepn ur heartrate up and from wat i recall that will do it ... And i think its at least 45 mins ..

cardio outdoors while only wearing a speedo will burn more calories than your other mentioned options. If you did cardio x in your front yard at 5:30 am in your unders during a blizzard, better yet!

question on split:

how do you know which split to go with over another. I have calc for splits of 50p/30c/20f, 60p/30c/10f, and also 60p/20c/20f. like i mentioned b4, tryn to understand the science behind it. obvi it means more protien and less fat and carbs--but what does it mean in simple terms? will it give leaner look?

I think it varies with each individual.. Some guys cut better with more carbs than others.. Some people feel badly with 100g carbs and have trouble makn it thru wkouts while others feel ok.. U mainly have to pick something and try it and if ur not losing fat adjust , if ur losing lbm adjust, if u dont have enuff energy adjust, until u find wat works for u.. I startd my diet at like 270pro and 160 carb and decided i wantd to try and lose fat fastr so upped pro and lowerd carbs .. Im doing well with 300p/100c/55f... Get leaner every week... The leaner u get the more u notice too

Here's a link, but I went ahead and posted the article below the link. Like GB said on his other thread your individual body responds differently. I remember hearing something like 60% of people responded better to the low carb approach. I always, always, always say "the best diet is one you will stick with!" Sensible will always be a better choice than extreme. Most of us didn't get out of shape over night but we feel as if we must become pro bodybuilders within months of deciding to get in shape.

I'm not endorsing(nor am I not endorsing) the mayo diet( I don't even know what the mayo diet is) I'm just saying that we should be making lifestyle changes for permanent, consistent and progressive benefits!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low...-carb/MY01446/

Over time, many different types of diets have been popular, including low-fat and low-carb diets. Some years ago, low-fat was the mantra. More recently low-carb has been the rage, promising effortless weight loss while eating all the high-fat foods you want.

Low-fat usually means high-carb but doesn't always mean low-calorie if someone eats too many carbs, particularly processed carbs that are more concentrated in calories. Conversely, low-carb usually means high-fat. Many people who have tried this type of diet know it can be difficult to continue for a long time because a lot of good tasting fruits and other carbohydrates are off limits and high-fat goodies do get a little old after a while.

The most important factor related to weight loss is not low-fat or low-carb — it is calories. Either type of diet could lead to weight loss if total calorie intake is low.

There have been a number of studies comparing weight loss with these two types of diets. In general, low-carb diets may result in a little more weight loss in the first 3 to 6 months. However, after 1 to 2 years there isn't much difference. What's interesting is that the amount of weight loss varies widely among people following either diet. So which type of diet you choose may matter less than whether you stick to it.

Another important factor is the healthfulness of the diet — and both of these types of diets could be healthy or unhealthy, depending on the types of fats and carbohydrates that are consumed. Other things that may influence how long a diet is followed include taste, satisfaction, satiety and practicality.

The Mayo Clinic Diet emphasizes healthy carbs (fruit, and whole-grain products) and fats (olive oil, nuts and vegetable oils). By consuming lower amounts of less healthy carbs (sugar, white flour, and other processed carbs) and less healthy fats (saturated and trans fats), total calorie intake is lower. Because the emphasize is also on good tasting foods, unlimited vegetables and fruits to achieve satiety, and making lifestyle changes and not a short-term "diet," the Mayo Clinic Diet can be easier to follow long-term.

thanks for timely reply bros!
    wonderful article tbod. cleared up the vagueness i had.

That's why there's a board and why we love this one sooooo much!

ok guys, I've come up with a new diet.

meal 1:
    1c egg whites
    1scoop protein
    2 servings cream of wheat

meal 2:
    5oz turkey breast
    ⅓ c shredded cheese
    ¼ avocado
    2 small tortillas

meal 3:
    5oz beef
    1c green beans
    small apple

meal 4:
    5oz chicken
    2c lettuce
    ½c cucumbers
    8 cherry tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil

meal 5:
    3 oz tuna
    4egg whites
    2c veggies (broc)

2135 cals...59g fat...163g carbs...211g pro.

ok guys, i've come up with a new diet.

Meal 1:
    1c egg whites
    1scoop protein
    2 servings cream of wheat not sure how they compare to oats..never seen anyone list this instead of oats??

meal 2:
    5oz turkey breast
    ⅓ c shredded cheese drop
    ¼ avocado
    2 small tortillas prob could find a better carb(oats sweet pot)

meal 3:
    5oz beef
    1c green beans assuming this is fresh or frozen and not canned?
    small apple i dont eat fruit while cutting fat

meal 4:
    5oz chicken
    2c lettuce salad i suppose .. Hope ur not using iceberg
    ½c cucumbers
    8 cherry tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil

meal 5:
    3 oz tuna
    4egg whites
    2c veggies (broc)

2135 cals...59g fat...163g carbs...211g pro.
    protein seems low and fat a tad high imo

ahh! i cod pull out my hair lol. so much thought went into this and i thought it was good to go.

405...yea salad..but why no iceberg, lol thas wat i was gonna use.
    green beans would have been canned, but ill switch to steam fresh frozen.
    cream of wheat, just wanted to switch it up a bit.

Sorry Jp

Well iceberg doesnt really carry a whole lot of nutritional value.. I was gonna tell u to change it to broc or asparagus but then i realized by lookn at the other stuff it was a salad.. U may wanna try some mixd greens with spinach...

The cannd veg have preservatives and alot of salt.. I realize fresh is expensive which is why i use frozen..

The cream of wheat i cant help u on.. Im from ga and we eat grits down here.. I think theyre similar but like i said im not sure and too lazy to look it up LOL if i were u i would look it up.. U know oats and sweet r great carbs and i like to go with what i know is proper esp in the beginning...

When i startd i had to get in my head that the food wasnt gonna taste great but u can look at my original pics to see what good eatn food that tastes great all the time got me

Cream of wheat is fine, I don't have too much of a problem with the diet(other than meal #2) The only thing I would keep from that meal is the turkey. The avocado is a good source of fat, but the wrong meal to include it, imo. Also I don't see where your cardio or your lifting programs fit so that would help me better understand the meal selections. Loose the iceberg lettuce in all situations, spinach is the best substitute(my wife is a nurse with education in nutrition and she says that the darker the better, as a general rule) Iceberg has 0.00% nutritional value. I like my carbs to be simple and consistent so I use tabouli. I can adjust the recipe to my taste and make a weeks worth in 20 minutes!

ok, I'm back everybody. took a cpl days off to gather thoughts on diet and workout. its crunch time. i have a goal set for 12 weeks away. i have made the corrected changes as suggested to the diet i posted earlier. no avocado in that early meal, frozen green beans, and no iceberg lettuce. I went shopping earlier today in the christmas madness, and got my foods to start in the am. tbody, to ans your question, i just started a new job at beg of month, so my workouts are n the evening arnd 6p. monday wen i get in the gym, I'm gonna start/try out the 5*5 strong lift split and see how it works out, while also working with my pt every wednesday. also 30 mins cardio after workout. and I'm gonna try to start the fasted cardio in the morn. ill use this thread as a progress/motivation source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information