deigo75 is offline New Member

Starting a new diet after years of abuse!

Looking for help.

I am 36 years old 5'11" 210lbs with 22% body fat. After a recent shoulder surgery, I am ready to start a new way of life. Since June I have done cardio 5 days a week for 45 minutes (fast walk on treadmill) with minimial results due to a poor diet. I have had success with the no carb plan, but I have been told it is not a smart long term diet. The trouble that I have is portion control. I am not able to weightlift until April, but I am allowed to do cardio. I am fairly educated on good proteins and vegetables, and I am willing to commit to the discipline of a diet. But I have found in the past that I get carried away with portions. Please let me know if there is some sort of diet that will instruct the exact amount of consumption that is allowed. Any information is appreciated and thank you for your time.

Deigo75

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Welcome to the board! Have a read of the thread 'dieting 101 cutting' and it should give you some direction..

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.TvVKA4lhic0

Thanks seems a bit overwhelming to start. I now know why dieticians get paid the way they do. Between traveling and running a small business, it would be in my best interest to hire someone to get me started. Thanks for the information.

Deigo75

Quote Originally Posted by deigo75 View Post
    Thanks seems a bit overwhelming to start. I now know why dieticians get paid the way they do. Between traveling and running a small business, it would be in my best interest to hire someone to get me started. Thanks for the information.

Deigo75
    It may seem a bit overwhelming at first but there's no need to hire a dietician. You just have to keep reading around the nutrition section and you will start to understand. The first step is we need to work out your tdee. You could type tdee calculator into google and a few will come up. From there we subtract 500 calories so that you are in caloric deficit. Then we can organize your meals according to the calories we have to work with and going for the correct amount of protein, carbs and fat.

vBRAH is offline Member
    True that boxa06, no need to hire a dietician. Lots of us work and study full time, with a bit of patience and dedication you can learn a heck of a lot more than a dietician would teach you and the satisfaction and knowledge is definitely worth it. Think its time you started picking up some heavy weights too, give your metabolism the boost it needs

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    diego welcome man.. ur starting point and mine r very similar.. i started at 213lbs and 22%bf ive been cutting for 3 months with the help of guys in this forum and have dropped to 195 at 13%bf(give or take)

ur lbm is 74.3 i think mine was 76 so pretty close..

210 lbs x .4536 = 95.26kg
    95.26 x .22(bf%) = 20.96(bf wt in kg)
    95.26 - 20.96 = 74.3 LBM

BMR = 370 + (74.3 x 21.6) = 1974.88(basal metabolic rate)
    TDEE = BMR x activity level(1.55 = workout 5 days/week = 3061calories

now tdee tends to be a tad high is the belief accepted around here.. my tdee was 3100cals.. ive been running my diet at 2200 cals and had great success with fatloss while maintaining pretty much ALL my LBM

my split is 59%protein/18%carbs/23%fat which for me works out to approx 300g pro/100g carb/55g fat
    depending on the split u wanna run will determine how many grams of each macronutrient u get per day.. i eat all my carbs in first 3 meals.. that will also vary for u depending when u workout.. for now u said u cant lift weights so i would suggest u do ALL UR CARDIO RITE WHEN U WAKE UP ON AN EMPTY STOMACH make sure u get some bcaas(branch chain amino acids) it comes in a powder and drink it mixd in water 15 mins before u do ur cardio if u can.. if u cant just drink it rite before u start...

i do 45 minutes cardio 5-6 days per week.. personally considering ur lbm and bf % i would recommend u try out ur carbs around where i have mine (100g/day).. that will enable u to keep ur protein high .. which will help protect ur LBM..

hope this helps and if u have any questions feel free to ask my man!

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Welcome to the boards. You sound like you are on the right track. I think you will be able to make a great deal of gains and then when you are able to begin lifting again you'll take it to a whole other level.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome and keep in mind: slow wins the race with consistency.

Want to start a log? might really help you. I highly suggest it.

Good luck to you~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yea don't hire a dietitian. I have found with clients I've worked with in the past- if u do the research and work urself u will take it more seriously. If someone just makes u a diet it's harder to follow. Do the work and take ownership of this and u will see results

jpowell is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tall76 View Post
    Yea don't hire a dietitian. I have found with clients I've worked with in the past- if u do the research and work urself u will take it more seriously. If someone just makes u a diet it's harder to follow. Do the work and take ownership of this and u will see results
    very well said. currently I'm working with a pt, obvi he knows what he is doing b/c of his successful career, but i feel I'm to the point where i wana step out myself and create my own diet. between this nutrition section/forum and his training w/proper form i feel i can conquer the world. and I'm seeing results which also are a determining factor.

Merry Christmas, have a blessed day!

Thank you all very much for the help. After doing research through the boards, I believe I have found a diet that will work with me and my schedule. Very excited to start, quit smoking three years ago and the pounds have just kept adding on. I will post the diet for your input when I start on Monday. I will also post the results, I can only workout in the early a.m. so I am told that should help me on my path the better health and a better life.

Thanks,
    Deigo75

Thank you all very much for the help. After doing research through the boards, I believe I have found a diet that will work with me and my schedule. Very excited to start, quit smoking three years ago and the pounds have just kept adding on. I will post the diet for your input when I start on Monday. I will also post the results, I can only workout in the early a.m. so I am told that should help me on my path the better health and a better life.

Thanks,
    Deigo75
    Sounds good! Good luck and keep us posted!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Thanks,
    Deigo75
    Let's have a look at that diet... generally speaking i'm not a fan of copying other people's diets (I'm assuming that's what you did, if i'm wrong, my apologies) as what works for one person won't necessarily work for another, ESPECIALLY with regards to caloric/macro needs.

Post it and rock it!

I will post the diet today, I took bits and pieces from various posts in the cutting section that looked like something I can accomplish.

Deigo75

Thread Information