yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

How much protein can your body absorb??

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I really am not too clear on it. For example- I just made a shake with 3 servings of oats, 3 servings of egg whites, 1 serving of whey,and about 12oz of milk for a total of 66g of protein. Will some of that be wasted or converted to fat?

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Depending on your caloric needs. The argument about how much your body can absorb at any one setting(or meal if you prefer) is highly debatable, and has been here multiple times. If you take in more calories than you expend it will turn into fat, if you don't have enough protein in your body to rebuild the muscle that you tear down during weight lifting you are prohibiting maximum muscle growth. Not to mention when you start talking about whether or not the protein is concentrate or isolate or pre-digested or hydrolized or partially pre-digested and if it is whey or casein or soy or a blend or...or...or...or... And what are your goals, and are you taking them with carbs and the right kinds and the right times and...and...and....

You are probably asking because you want to accomplish certain things on a personal level with your particular physique. If your caloric intake is right and your macros are following some sensible formula we are better able to answer the question for you specifically. The most recent opinion is that protein is available whether you ingest it all in one setting or throughout the day. Although I am not aware of anyone who would suggest you eat 200 grams of protein in one meal. If you are looking at an IF diet then obviously a bb must ingest his total protein requirement in an 8 hour period of time, since this has proven to be an affective diet for bb'rs on this board we must believe that the protein is available for muscle building when ingested in larger doses than 20g per setting, which was the amount touted as the most any male could absorb at any one setting for years.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    There's no definitive answer, it will be different for every person. Your body will use what it needs, and it's pretty much as simple as that. The broscience idea that your body can only absorb X grams of protein per sitting is asanine.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I believe it is different for each individual also. I also believe that you will absorb more protein in ur drink with 3 different protein sources (whey, egg white and milk) than if u only had 1. And whether it will be stored as fat- that depends on ur TDEE and how many cals u have consumed so far today. Excess cals are excess- doesn't matter if they are protein carbs or fats

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by tall76 View Post
    I believe it is different for each individual also. I also believe that you will absorb more protein in ur drink with 3 different protein sources (whey, egg white and milk) than if u only had 1. And whether it will be stored as fat- that depends on ur TDEE and how many cals u have consumed so far today. Excess cals are excess- doesn't matter if they are protein carbs or fats
    Absolutely, 100% spot on

Thread Information