deigo75 is offline New Member

*NEWBIE* Please Critique my weight loss diet

Male 36 years old - 5'11" 212lbs - 23.8% Bodyfat

Goal: 185lbs by April 1,2012

TDEE - 3167 BMR-2043 - Calculated 1100 carbs 1100 protein 540 fat (40/40/20 split)

Workout - 7:30am - 8:30am Monday - Saturday - CARDIO Only (due to shoulder surgery, cant lift until May) Treadmill - Fast Walk (45 min) Bike (10 minutes)

Meal1 (pwo)- 1 egg, 3 egg whites + 2 slices wheat toast + bananna = 125cal protein + 230cal carb (9:00am)
    Meal 2- 1 can tuna in water + 2 slices wheat bread = 191cal protein + 260cal carb (12:00pm)
    Meal 3- 1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless) + 1 cup brown rice = 150cal protein + 216cal carb (3:00pm)
    Meal 4- 1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless) + 1 cup green beans + 1 cup steamed brocoli + 1 apple = 150cal protein + 182cal carb (6:00pm)
    Meal 5- 1 can tuna in water + 1 slice wheat bread = 191cal protein + 130cal carb (8:00pm)
    Meal 6- 1 scoop LaBrada Lean Pro Protein Powder Shake with water = 225cal protein (10:00pm 1 hour before sleep)

Totals: 1040cal proteins 1018cal carbs 0cal fat

*Plan is to alternate proteins between weeks beef, chicken & fish, I only drink water, but do have a crystal light and vodka on weekends, with 4 coors light. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Deigo75
    Last edited by deigo75; 12-30-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: New Diet Plan

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by deigo75 View Post
    Male 36 years old - 5'11" 212lbs - 23.8% Bodyfat

Goal: 185lbs by April 1,2012

Monday - Sunday (Sunday is my only day off from the gym)

7:30am - 8:30am - Workout - Treadmill Cardio (fast walk 45 minutes) & Bike (fast pace 10 minutes) cannot lift weights due to shoulder surgery. BCAA PRIOR TO FASTED CARDIO??

9:00am Breakfast - 1 serving Dannon low fat Plain yogurt ID DROP AND HAVE EGG WHITES WITH MAYBE 1 WHOLE EGG AND OATS THATS NOT ENUFF PRO OR CARB

12:00pm Lunch - 1/2 grilled chicken breast (boneless & skinless) 1 cup mixed greens salad with fat free balsamic vinaigrette. NOT BAD ID ADD CARB(SWEET POTATO)

3:00pm Snack - handful of unsalted cashews DROP AND ADD PROTEIN AND CARB (OATS OR SWEET POTATO)

6:00pm Dinner - 1 grilled chicken breast (boneless & skinless) 2 cups mixed greens salad with fat free balsamic vinaigrette and 1 serving of green vegetable (green beans, collard greens, spinach, etc.)

9:00pm - Snack - 1 celery stick with sugar free peanut butter ID DROP BOTH AND HAVE COTTAGE CHEESE AND NAT PB NOT SUGAR FREE

11:00 am - 6:30pm - SLEEP

I only drink water, not a big alcohol drinker, but I do like to have vodka & crystal light (2 drinks max) and 4 Coors Lights on the weekends

**My plan is to alternate weeks with the protein - 1 week chicken 1 week fish (talipua) 1 week beef (new york strip)**

*Please let me know if I left anything out, and thanks for your input!

Deigo75
    ALSO it doesnt look like ur eating enuff cals or protein or carbs.. where are ur macros?? its hard to comment without seeing those.. where r u at with ur BMR/TDEE?? what split r u running? theres no way i could or would want to stick to that diet.. id be hungry as heck all day.. by 1030am ive already had 6 egg whites chikn breast oats sweet potato and broccoli.. by 1030am all uve had is 1 serving of plain yogurt!

if all ur doing is cardio fasted in the am (which is good BTW) u want to eat all ur carbs in meals 1,2,&3.. when i say carbs i mean sweet potato,oats,brn rice.. u need to have protein in all 6 meals (or however many ur eating) from the looks of ur diet ur only getting what id consider 2 meals.. if i recall correctly i told u what ur bmr(basal metabolic rate) was.. if not i apologize and will do it.. but that diet needs alot of work man.. the calories and macros are very important..thats how u figure out how much food to eat.. as a guess ur diet couldnt be more than 1500 or so calories rite now..

anyways im kind of in a hurry so i hope i didnt come across harshly.. just want u to get the point.. that diet isnt gonna cut it IMO

Thanks, thought it was a decent starting point. I will make the necessary revisions and re-post. You can be as harsh as you like, I don't care I take any criticism very well.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Get the word snack out of ur vocabulary. From now on its gotta be 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners. Like 405'said, no macros, no TDEE so I can't even comment on that stuff so that's where u need to start. Go to the stickies at the top and calculate these then u can start trying to put ur diet together. In terms of food choices- pretty bad. Please do not eat dannon yogurt for breakfast especially considering that is also ur Post workout meal. Biggest meals with majority of carbs should be in morning and around ur workouts!!
    I think there is plenty you can do for resistance training that will help u out a ton! I have had a few clients that have had shoulder surgery and still worked out a few times per week with me. Right now I have a client who broker her arm and has a cast going up over her elbow and we still have kick ass workouts.
    Last edited by tall76; 12-30-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Quick outline to work with

Meal1 (pwo)- protein/ carb/ fruit
    Meal 2- protein/ carb
    Meal 3- protein/ carb
    Meal 4- protein shake??
    Meal 5- protein/ veggie/ fat(if u need it)
    Mela 6- protein/ veggie/ fat

Don't have to stick exactly to that but it's a general outline. Protein in every meal!! Carbs in morning and around workout!!

It is quite obviuos I am new at this. Please bear with me LOL.

You have a BMR of 2043.66. Tdee: 3167

Thanks for the outline tall76, I will go back to the drawing board. I like the idea of eating six meals a day rather than my first attempt at a diet plan.

Just keep working on it- it's not gonna be perfect right away. Even my own diet is a work in progress with little tweaks here and there. I suggest going to the workout section posting a thread for help with exercises u could do while ur shoulder recovers- that will help u a lot to get going

Coozan is offline Junior Member
    You guys hit the nail right on the head

It is quite obviuos I am new at this. Please bear with me LOL.

You have a BMR of 2043.66. Tdee: 3167

Thanks for the outline tall76, I will go back to the drawing board. I like the idea of eating six meals a day rather than my first attempt at a diet plan.

BMR = 370 x (21.6 x LBM)
    212lb x .4536 = 96.16kg
    96.16 x .238(bf%) = 22.89kg(fat)
    96.16 - 22.89 = 73.27(LBM)

370 + (21.6 x 73.27) = 1953 BMR
    1953 x 1.55 = 3027 TDEE

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What's bmr and tdee? Sorry if sound stupid..

Both are explained very well in the TDEE sticky on top of forum threads

Quote Originally Posted by FONZY007 View Post
    What's bmr and tdee? Sorry if sound stupid..
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), and the closely related resting metabolic rate (RMR), is the amount of daily energy expended by humans and other animals at rest. Rest is defined as existing in a neutrally temperate environment while in the post-absorptive state.

TDEE is a formula created to take into account total calories expended(needed) per day based on an activity level multiplier.. if u work out 5x per week then u multiply BMR x 1.55.. look at the sticky at the top of the page that says TDEE...

u can also use google...

Revised the diet

I have made revisions, please fire away. Thanks for the help!

male 36 years old - 5'11" 212lbs - 23.8% bodyfat

goal: 185lbs by april 1,2012

tdee - 3167 bmr-2043 - calculated 1100 carbs 1100 protein 540 fat (40/40/20 split)

workout - 7:30am - 8:30am monday - saturday - cardio only (due to shoulder surgery, cant lift until may) treadmill - fast walk (45 min) bike (10 minutes)

meal1 (pwo)- 1 egg, 3 egg whites + 2 slices wheat toast + bananna = 125cal protein + 230cal carb (9:00am) drop toast and banana and add oats
    meal 2- 1 can tuna in water + 2 slices wheat bread = 191cal protein + 260cal carb (12:00pm) drop bread and add sweet potato
    meal 3- 1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless) + 1 cup brown rice = 150cal protein + 216cal carb (3:00pm)
    meal 4- 1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless) + 1 cup green beans + 1 cup steamed brocoli + 1 apple = 150cal protein + 182cal carb (6:00pm) use fresh or frozen not canned drop apple
    meal 5- 1 can tuna in water + 1 slice wheat bread = 191cal protein + 130cal carb (8:00pm) drop bread add fibrous green veg(broc,spinach,or asparagus)
    meal 6- 1 scoop labrada lean pro protein powder shake with water = 225cal protein (10:00pm 1 hour before sleep) is this casein or whey?if whey switch to casein before bed or better yet 2%cottage cheese

totals: 1040cal proteins 1018cal carbs 0cal fat

*plan is to alternate proteins between weeks beef, chicken & fish, i only drink water, but do have a crystal light and vodka on weekends, with 4 coors light. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    deigo75
    why not have all 3 each day? Or alternate days to break up the monotony and give urself a variety of protein every week???

Getting there- usually we do things with grams of protein/ carbs/ fat. So the cals u have are easily converted to grams. Protein and carbs have 4 cals/ g and fat has 9 cals per g. Use different protein sources like 405 said and ur calculation says u have 0 grams of fat in ur diet. Trust me there is fat hidden in there and that is a good thing we need it in our diet but it is important to know how much ur taking in.
    Most importantly put this into action! Go prep ur food tonight for ur day tomorrow and I would suggest taking a few hrs this wkd to cook for the week. Put pre portioned meals in tupperwares so ur ready to go for the week

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by tall76 View Post
    Just keep working on it- it's not gonna be perfect right away. Even my own diet is a work in progress with little tweaks here and there. I suggest going to the workout section posting a thread for help with exercises u could do while ur shoulder recovers- that will help u a lot to get going
    x2. I am constantly tweaking and changing things. Remember also that as your body changes, so will your caloric/macro/diet requirements. i.e. you can't expect to do the same thing forever and continue to see results... just like training.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Welcome!

And remember: Slow wins the race and consistency is KEY.

Good luck to you~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I need to learn about diet, never really been into but as I'm 30 and on trt I need to learn and this thread is a good read..

Thanks everybody, this is one diet I fell I can stick to. Once I reach my goal I would like to add one cheat meal. Otherwise the stock in Whataburger might go down. Can't wait to post the results, much work to do.

Deigo75

Diego- seriously start doing some resistance training for ur lower body it will help a lot. If u haven't been doing anything just start slow- one of the leg press machines, leg extensions and hamstring curl machines. Use light weight do 3 sets of 20 reps. After a few weeks start bring the weight up and reps down into the 8-12 range. Start a post in the workout forum people will help u out and ur body will change much quicker

On day 4 of the diet, can honestly say I have not been hungry one time. Protein shake before sleep really helps alot. Surgeon said I am now able to do exercises that do not involve any push up movement or over the head. But really wants me to concentrate on rowing motion. Very very light weights with alot of reps. Has told me to ease into it with no pain. Very excited to start, after 4 weeks I will be able to start bench press with just the bar and progress from there. Will get some weird looks at the gym for sure, going to have to make my scars visible or something. LOl. I will start a post on the weight loss, can already feel my energy levels starting to increase. Can't thank everybody enough for the help. Wish I would have come to this site sooner.

Deigo75

Thread Information