Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    a gain is a gain. your chest looks some what fuller in the last pic and your traps, but as standby said, could be posture. you have made strength gains in the past two weeks so look at the positive! your are doing fine and may need to switch up your workout some to get some gains. i am too lazy to scroll thru and see when was the last time you switched?
    Thanks RC - It's been 4 weeks since I started this program that Tbody put together for me. Seems to early to be changing, but the results sure have slowed down. Last week I didn't hit my macros spot on due to a week long convention, so I'm gonna give it another 2 weeks and make changes if I need to.

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member
    As Gb just advised me on his advice thread. It can actually take about 4 weeks to start seeing any effects of a new diet...or something to that effect anyway. his point was nothing is immediate and i tend to agree as ive bumped my calories significantly and improved a lot of other aspects as well as some strength gains but have yet to see much physical change yet. Try not to get stresses as im sure this will be nore detrimental to gains than anything else ever could. Besides 4 weeks is a really short timescale for changes in my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    As Gb just advised me on his advice thread. It can actually take about 4 weeks to start seeing any effects of a new diet...or something to that effect anyway. his point was nothing is immediate and i tend to agree as ive bumped my calories significantly and improved a lot of other aspects as well as some strength gains but have yet to see much physical change yet. Try not to get stresses as im sure this will be nore detrimental to gains than anything else ever could. Besides 4 weeks is a really short timescale for changes in my opinion anyway.
    Point taken. My main concern is if you look at my starting pic and my 2 week pic; there's a significant change. I was excited about this and was hoping those kind of changes would continue on. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagethuge View Post
    I don't know specifically what advise GB gave you but I think you might be taking it out of context. If you're eating a 500 calorie excess everyday then those 500 cals are going to be stored somewhere, whether it be new muscle or fat stores or both. It may take time to notice the changes in the mirror but excess calories eaten consistently ED will add weight and be stored. If not, then you've underestimated your maintenance calories or your energy expenditure.

Self, if you were to change any part of your diet then IMO it would be to eat at the same caloric excess everyday, whether it's a work out day or not. Maybe you could use those extra cals on your off days to repair (ie. grow new tissue and gain weight).

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    I don't know specifically what advise GB gave you but I think you might be taking it out of context. If you're eating a 500 calorie excess everyday then those 500 cals are going to be stored somewhere, whether it be new muscle or fat stores or both. It may take time to notice the changes in the mirror but excess calories eaten consistently ED will add weight and be stored. If not, then you've underestimated your maintenance calories or your energy expenditure.

Self, if you were to change any part of your diet then IMO it would be to eat at the same caloric excess everyday, whether it's a work out day or not. Maybe you could use those extra cals on your off days to repair (ie. grow new tissue and gain weight).
    I had considered this as well. I'm just scared to death I might add bodyfat. If I didn't care about being in single digits by mid may...I would jump in with both feet. But I've gotta be looking my best by mid may. For this summer, I would rather be a little smaller and cut like a (something that's really cut lol), than be a bit bigger at 12% BF. After summer I'm gonna get real aggressive with my bulk, but for now I'm just trying to add enough that when I get down to say 9% I don't look too small.

Let's say I were to drop to 9% overnight right now....how small would I look? Be Honest! Would I look like a sick High School student? Just curious. I've never been single digits before. I believe my lowest was about 12% and I still had love handles!

I've got about 3 1/2 weeks left to put on some muscle but at the rate I'm adding right now I don't expect to add more than a few lbs.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^^ this. My point to GGH was that the physical manifestations of changing one's aren't immediate. I believe his question to me was along the lines of "how long do you wait before deciding to make adjustments". But as Sgt. said, if you're eating over your maintenance, rest assured those excess calories are going somewhere, and you will eventually see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    Let's say I were to drop to 9% overnight right now....how small would I look? Be Honest! Would I look like a sick High School student? Just curious. I've never been single digits before. I believe my lowest was about 12% and I still had love handles!
    First, I have to say in all fairness that I cannot see your last pic for some reason, so I can only comment based on the first 3. With that said, we're all honest here, right? If you cut down to 9%, yea, I think you'd look pretty small. When I cut down to roughly 9% and was sitting at 177lbs (i'm 5'11), I looked pretty damn small IMO, and I was carrying more mass than you in these pics (no offense of course). In my avy as well as the pics in my thread you just commented on, I was around 193lbs and still at roughly 9%. As you can see, I was STILL pretty small. It takes a long time to build a big physique bro, and some of us never will (I'm one of them) as our genetics play a huge role in how far we can go.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you; quite the contrary. Maybe lean and cut is your look. I'm starting to realize it's what i'm going to have to be happy with. Sure I want to be huge, but I get fat trying - yet I KNOW I can cut and get pretty lean. Also remember that most of those guys you see that look 'big' in their shirts are usually fat fvcks that would never look good at the beach. Take off your shirt with your lean cut physique and I guarantee you'll look better than them any day of the week. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ this. My point to GGH was that the physical manifestations of changing one's aren't immediate. I believe his question to me was along the lines of "how long do you wait before deciding to make adjustments". But as Sgt. said, if you're eating over your maintenance, rest assured those excess calories are going somewhere, and you will eventually see the results.

First, I have to say in all fairness that I cannot see your last pic for some reason, so I can only comment based on the first 3. With that said, we're all honest here, right? If you cut down to 9%, yea, I think you'd look pretty small. When I cut down to roughly 9% and was sitting at 177lbs (i'm 5'11), I looked pretty damn small IMO, and I was carrying more mass than you in these pics (no offense of course). In my avy as well as the pics in my thread you just commented on, I was around 193lbs and still at roughly 9%. As you can see, I was STILL pretty small. It takes a long time to build a big physique bro, and some of us never will (I'm one of them) as our genetics play a huge role in how far we can go.

I'm not telling you this to discourage you; quite the contrary. Maybe lean and cut is your look. I'm starting to realize it's what i'm going to have to be happy with. Sure I want to be huge, but I get fat trying - yet I KNOW I can cut and get pretty lean. Also remember that most of those guys you see that look 'big' in their shirts are usually fat fvcks that would never look good at the beach. Take off your shirt with your lean cut physique and I guarantee you'll look better than them any day of the week. Hope this helps.
    I've never wanted to be Huge. Think "Men's Health" guy, NOT "Muscle Mag" guy. I know we here it all the time and it's kind of gay, but I'm looking for that Brad Pitt/Ryan Reynolds physique. My goal was originally 5'9 180lbs in Single Digit BF. I know this won't happen this go around...maybe in a years time.

The urge to go the aas route has been pretty strong, but I know there's really no need to go there with my goals. I know some hard work will get me there it'll just take a bit more time.

I guess we'll see what happens in the next 3 1/2 weeks and then I'll cut. If I'm small....then fvck it! I'll start a true bulk in October and run it for 16 weeks and see what happens. It would probably be better anyway. I remember you first telling me to cut first then bulk in the beginning. This will give me the chance to do just that.

For now......I just want these ****in love handles GONE!!!!!!!!!!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I've never wanted to be Huge. Think "Men's Health" guy, NOT "Muscle Mag" guy. I know we here it all the time and it's kind of gay, but I'm looking for that Brad Pitt/Ryan Reynolds physique.
    lol, no worries - that may very well be the look for you. It's not what I was going for, but I may have to accept that it's the best I can do naturally.

My goal was originally 5'9 180lbs in Single Digit BF. I know this won't happen this go around...maybe in a years time.
    Forgive me for not remembering, but what are your current stats? How far off are you from this goal?

The urge to go the aas route has been pretty strong, but I know there's really no need to go there with my goals. I know some hard work will get me there it'll just take a bit more time.
    Definitely not needed for your goals, or from where you're currently at. You have plenty you can do naturally before even thinking about it IMO.

I guess we'll see what happens in the next 3 1/2 weeks and then I'll cut. If I'm small....then fvck it! I'll start a true bulk in October and run it for 16 weeks and see what happens. It would probably be better anyway. I remember you first telling me to cut first then bulk in the beginning. This will give me the chance to do just that.
    Just being realistic here, but don't expect much in 3.5 weeks - that's NOTHING. It generally takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years to build a really solid muscular foundation, so keep that in mind when setting your goals. Which reminds me, I need to PM you about something...

For now......I just want these ****in love handles GONE!!!!!!!!!!
    My God, me too... I am feeling absolutely disgusting lately... I wanna hack them off with a machete!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Forgive me for not remembering, but what are your current stats? How far off are you from this goal?

Well right now I'm 185lb and I'm not sure of my BF%. You guys guessed me at about 15-16% when I started. I've obviously put on some LBM and dropped some BF since then.

Definitely not needed for your goals, or from where you're currently at. You have plenty you can do naturally before even thinking about it IMO.

Yeah I know. Patience just isn't a virtue that I've ever had. I did however date a girl named patience once!!! LOL

Just being realistic here, but don't expect much in 3.5 weeks - that's NOTHING. It generally takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years to build a really solid muscular foundation, so keep that in mind when setting your goals. Which reminds me, I need to PM you about something...

Okay...whenever you're ready.

My God, me too... I am feeling absolutely disgusting lately... I wanna hack them off with a machete!!

You and me both. Browngirl asked me the other day if I wanted her to shave me, and I told her I would rather her bring a knife and the vacuum and we would try a DIY Lipo! The love handles just piss me off. Don't get me wrong....a year ago I was 233lbs and probably 25%+ BF. I'm happy with the progress I've made, but now it's just really slowing down. Wasn't there some shit on the market years ago that was some type of topical cream that would spot reduce BF? I think it had nicotine in it, and AR-R may have even sold it. Hummmmmm.....?????
    See Bolds

Where you at Sgt???? I see you looking at this thread but not typing...Feed me some wisdom! LOL

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    to be honest "men's health guy" is still something many multi cyclers in the member pic forum still have not reached. it still takes a ton of work. keep workin

This would be my ideal physique: Not gonna happen this summer obviously, buy maybe with a lot of hard work my next summer? Naturally?

Goals by slfmade, on Flickr

What's your vote?

A. Very Possible
    B. Not Even a chance of this happening
    C. Possible but not very likely

Gotta go to the gym in about an hour, but today I hurt my back somehow. Well, it's not even really my back, it's a really sharp pain around my sacrum. The pain is coming more from the sides of my sacrum vs the top where you would normally expect a lower back injury. I think I should still be able to do my squats if I make sure I'm keeping my back straight but SLDL are out of the question because I can't bend over without feeling like somebody is stabbing me.

Are there any other compound movements that I can substitute for SLDL. I'm fine as long as I don't bend over.

Where you at Sgt???? I see you looking at this thread but not typing...Feed me some wisdom! LOL
    Your Brad Pitt/Ryan Reynolds comment made me laugh. Not because it's a comical goal but b/c that's exactly what I used to want. I had almost forgotten that goal is how I got started with all this - the point is your goals will constantly change and you will never be satisfied. You might be happy with the way you look but you'll always want to be a little leaner or a little bigger. I know when I get relatively lean I feel skinny and puny and worry over losing muscle and when I'm gaining I feel like a lard ass and worry about gaining too much fat. The point is though to stay focused and if you're gaining then gain as much lean tissue as you can, and when you're cutting lose as much fat as you can and don't let the scale discourage you. Obviously you should still adjust your diet based on results but hopefully you get my point.

I think you should up you calories on non-training days if you're not gaining as much muscle as you'd like and save the getting rid of your love handles for when you cut. It's been 4 weeks and you've gained 5.5lbs AND YOU LOOK LEANER. Up your cals and if you gain fat then you can readjust your diet but you should try to make the most of gaining while you can. If you don't then you'll regret it when you get to single digits.

As far as what you would look like at 9%? Yeah you're probably gonna look and feel a little small but with xyz amount of LBM I would much rather be at 9% than 12%. Having fat covering your muscles doesn't make anyone's physique look any better. And to be honest you'll probably get more compliments/attention if you're shredded and vascular and actually appear to have more LBM the leaner you are.

I don't see why you're so worried about going from 12% to 9% anyway. With the dedication you've shown so far I think you can do it relatively easily.

I don't see why you're so worried about going from 12% to 9% anyway. With the dedication you've shown so far I think you can do it relatively easily.
    Thanks for that....it means a lot. The one thing I have going for me that I don't question is my dedication. I just wanta make sure I'm doing the correct things with my dedication.

I don't think I'm at 12% right now though??? When I started this 4 weeks ago...you guys guessed me at 15-16%. I don't know what I'm at now, but I would be SHOCKED to here that I'm 12%. I can tell I've lost BF so if I assume I'm at 14% now...that's still 5% bodyfat I need to lose in 10 weeks after I start my cut. I know you guys are saying this is possible, but I've NEVER been that low and I feel like it's gonna be VERY hard to do. Everybody always talks about how hard it is to get into single digits.

I know we've talked about another member that's done it, but wasn't that with a little extra help from aas?

Answer B. Check your pm in a minute.

Answer B. Check your pm in a minute.
    Now you've confused me. You just said answer B - Which was "not a chance of me hitting my goal in a year" then you just sent me the PM which contradicts answer B.

Not even close to the pic you asked about. I wish.

Not even close to the pic you asked about. I wish.
    Gotcha. Why to much LBM or really low BF? What do you think his BF% is? 6%?

I guess I'm just gonna have to prove you wrong then? LOL

Reason I ask is...He doesn't look that big. Just really cut. Seems like if I put on another 10-15lbs, cut down to 6-8% bf, and pour some baby oil all over myself....well I feel like I would be there. Probably just my lack of experience talking.

No offense, but most people are really surprised how little LBM they actually have when they get that lean.

Gotcha...makes sense!

gonnagethuge is offline Associate Member

Hey sgt. Hows it going? My question really was how long should one give a nee diet/regime before realising that no further measurable gains are bein made on the current plan. This would be in the form of weight or lbm gain or phsical appearance improvements. Really i was wondering how long one should 'stick'rather than jumpong the gun increasing calories and then sonewhere down the line maybe adding extra fat. I believe gbs advice was sinply that results cannot be acieved immediately and should be given at least a good 4-6 weeks to manifest. I believe this perhaps also applied to slf's situation given that he is only 4 weeks in Which i dont think is actually that long to be seeing any major changes. I believed that it perhaps shouldnt stress him out as the results of the hard work and diet may yet be to physically manifest in terms of increased mass. My apologies if i put this across incorrectly.

This morning I got to thinking about this cut I'll start in 3 weeks from Monday. I'm curious....could a person carb cycle an "IF" diet? Would there be any reason not to?
    Last edited by slfmade; 02-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Just finished Week 5 workout. 3 weeks to go before cut. I'll be looking forward to switching it up a bit. My diet should be solid by the time I start but I'm gonna need some help with my training program.

Anybody wanta be my remote trainer??? I'm dedicated and I'll give you all the credit!

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    No offense, but most people are really surprised how little LBM they actually have when they get that lean.
    yep this lmao i thought id look better as i got leaner but i just see how small i really am lmao

So Monday weigh in: Last Week 185lbs... This week 186lbs

Increased 1lb from last week. That's a total increase of 6.5lbs in 5 weeks all while reducing 2-3% bodyfat. If I can keep this up for the next 3 weeks I'll finish my Lean Bulk at about 189-190 at 12-13% bodyfat. Fingers crossed!

So I'm a little bummed out today. Last night I missed my first workout since November. I hurt my back last week, but until last night have been working through it. I've been doing leg press instead of squats and leg curls instead of SLDL. At first it just seemed like a little tweak that was kind of annoying. The pains in my lower back (specifically around my sacrum)has been getting worse and worse by the day. Sitting, Standing, and even laying down flat on back seems to just make it worse. The only time I find relief is when I'm laying on my side with a pillow between my legs.

I'm hopefully going to be able to make an appointment with a chiropractor tomorrow to get some xrays done. I would rather go to a doctor, but the chiropractor visits are free so I'm gonna do it that way at least for the free xrays first and then go to a doctor if the xrays show something bad.

The pain is bad but this dissapointment that I missed a workout is what's getting to me the most!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Back pain sux.. Wheres the sacrum? I had some back issues a few weeks ago.. Hopefully u just pulld a muscle

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---;5***306
    Back pain sux.. Wheres the sacrum? I had some back issues a few weeks ago.. Hopefully u just pulld a muscle
    At the base of the spine. It's that big triangular shaped bone between your last vertebrae and butt crack.

do u recall how u did it? also how is it today?

Well, about 5 years ago I was carrying one of those big ass sofa's with 3 recliners in it. I was the stronger one so I was the guy walking backwards. I slipped and fell down on my rear with all the weight of the sofa coming down with me. As soon as it happened my legs went numb. I didn't have any insurance so I didn't go to the doctor. I just stayed at home for about 2 weeks and dealt with it the best I could. Since then my back has always been bad, but I've had no real injuries that have hurt like this since the original injury.

Last week when I hurt it I was just bending over and had a sharp pain. I didn't think it was a big deal but every day it has been getting worse. When I sit it feels like gravity is jamming my lower lumbar down with 500lbs of force straight into my sacrum. In the morning it isn't to bad, but by the end of the day it's close to unbearable. Trying to get an appointment with the chiropractor as we speak. One way or another I'm working out tonight...even if it's just upper body I'm gonna hit it hard. I'll keep you guys updated!

dang man that mustve sucked and sounds like it still sucks.. hope u feel better i hate injuries ...

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    dang man that mustve sucked and sounds like it still sucks.. hope u feel better i hate injuries ...
    I guess I'll know shortly. My appointment is in about 3 hours!

So I just got back from the appointment with my chiropractor. He took xrays and it's not good. He told me I would eventually need surgery. Basically the disc between S1 and L5 is no longer there and it's just bone on bone. He said this was the worst he's ever seen. He can give bi-weekly adjustments to alleviate the pain and I do feel better now, but he said without surgery I would need to see a chiropractor twice a week for the rest of my life. He said I should avoid squats or anything that puts pressure straight down on my spine.

So the plan is to go get some insurance and go see a doctor within the next few months.

In the meantime what would be the next best thing to squats for legs. I can't do deadlifts for the next several weeks either. Legpress, leg ext, leg curl? What would be a good leg routine?

Thanks

Sorry to hear bro.. At least he didnt say u couldnt lift until u had surgery... B]1leg squats with DB's[/B] r butt kickers.. Get some straps... Tatll get the weight off ur shoulders and ur back

I think leg press may push down on the area, esp heavy ones.. Since ud be sitting in the position u pretty much landed in.. When u fell...

So I just got back from the appointment with my chiropractor. He took xrays and it's not good. He told me I would eventually need surgery. Basically the disc between S1 and L5 is no longer there and it's just bone on bone. He said this was the worst he's ever seen. He can give bi-weekly adjustments to alleviate the pain and I do feel better now, but he said without surgery I would need to see a chiropractor twice a week for the rest of my life. He said I should avoid squats or anything that puts pressure straight down on my spine.

So the plan is to go get some insurance and go see a doctor within the next few months.

In the meantime what would be the next best thing to squats for legs. I can't do deadlifts for the next several weeks either. Legpress, leg ext, leg curl? What would be a good leg routine?

Thanks
    Sounds all too familiar to me.

Several years ago I broke my sacrum and my ileum (basically the rear portion of the pelvis and the hip). They both healed fine but depending on who I was talking to at the time (ER, MD, orthopedic, chiropractor) I also had a ruptured/herniated/bulging L4 and L5. I've had many x-rays and MRI's at different times and I was told different things as far as what I should do. Many times I was told, like you, that I had bone on bone and that surgery was the only solution.

I opted to not have surgery b/c I knew too many people that had back surgery that still had debilitating pain even after surgery. Right after the injury I went to the chiropractor for about 6 months straight and felt pretty good. But what I learned there is what's kept me from having surgery.

Keep your hip flexors stretched and loose, stretch them hard everyday and avoid ab exercises that tighten or shorten them. Do "press ups" as often as you possibly can. It's just a push up but keep your pelvis on the ground. This will elongate and put the curvature back in your spine so even if there's no disc there, the spine will be elongated and avoid the bone on bone feeling that causes so much pain. Keep your abs in shape, work them hard so they will take the strain off of your back muscles throughout the course of the day as far as just keeping you upright. Learn all the different back stretches to keep your back muscles from spasming b/c for me, that is the worst part in that the muscles overcompensate for the compression of the disc which results in back spasms that become unbearable.

I can still do squats, although I don't really go heavy or push it. High intensity leg press is a great alternate and if doing both legs together bothers you then do single leg. To this day i can't do SLDL, so I do back extensions and standing and prone leg curls instead. Upping the intensity by doing drop sets or rest-pause or forced reps and negatives can make up for not doing the compound movements IMO. I can still do DL and even go pretty heavy as long as I keep the arch in my back and don't flatten my back out at the bottom of the lift.

I still have a couple times a year where I have to spend a few days a week at the chiropractor for 4 or 6 weeks at a time when I do something to really aggravate it (like trying to land a flip on a wakeboard this summer ) but for the most part, I feel pretty normal.

I'm not telling you to not have surgery, just saying some things that have prolonged or kept me from having surgery so far. Obviously you should get some more opinions and listen to the professional advise that you're given. Maybe a few of these things and getting adjusted at the chiropractor will at least get you through the next several weeks that you want to cut down on your BF.

^^^Thankss for all your input guys. I read this when you posted and have incorporated it into my routine. More on that in the next post. I agree with you Sgt about not just jumping into surgery. I'm gonna do everything else first before I resort to that. I'm seeing the chiropractor 2 days a week now, and I'm gonna make an appointment with a rolfer next week because those guys can do god-like things to heal the body from a structural standpoint. If a year down the road I'm still having issues and I've had several doctors tell me surgery is the only option then I'll consider it.

Thanks again

Okay status update: 7 weeks down 1 to go.

I did my measurements on Monday but got sidetracked and never posted them. I wasn't happy with my gains to I did as SGT told me week to do weeks ago and bumped my calories on non-lift days. We'll see this Monday if it helped. It'll only be for 2 weeks so I don't expect to see huge results, but it'll give me an idea for future lean bulks on what my body can handle without gaining fat.

I also ramped up the intensity on the last set of each exercise in my current routine with some rest pause and negatives. At the end of each workout I've also added on 1 extra exercise for each target area that I feel are lacking which is pretty much everything except for legs.

I'm working on a new routine and diet for my cut which starts in 10 days. I put in my order for clen , keto, and also got some MT2. I've never liked needles but I'm kind of excited about pinning for some reason. LOL

Anyway, Here were my measurements from this last monday (6 weeks in).

Weight = 186.5 (1.5lb increase from 4 weeks in, 7lb increase from starting weight)

Neck = 16.5" (increase 1/2 inch from previous measurements)
    Chest = 42" (same as previous)
    Arms = 15 5/8 (up from 15.5)
    Waist = 33 1/4 (down 1/4" from previous)
    Leg = 24.5 (Up 1/4" from previous)
    Calf = 16.5 (Up 1/4" from previous)

I'm gonna try to have this diet and workout plan up by Monday...Hopefully!

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    dude I am just not seeing this. I should be banned from our friendship. I just read over every post. sigh....there was a lot. I forgot to chime back in and saw from sgt hartman how ripped on I got from shaving my arm pits. lol...I do at times..

anyways back to the thread. I agree with upping the calories a little bit. A base mine on how I feel each day. Congrats on your progress bro, I will be watching now!!!
    better late then never!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information