Macon_Bacon is offline Associate Member

My diet need work

Stats:
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 195lbs
    BF%: ~10
    Training: 5 years

Goals: Add 10-15lbs while keeping BF the same or even dropping it a little.

Diet: (cals/p/c/f)
    Meal 1 (pre wo)
    1c oats (300/10/54/6)
    1c egg whites (120/26/0/0)
    1 scoop whey (120/24/4/1)
    Anavite (multi-vit)
    500mg vit c
    (540/60/58/7)

Meal 2 (pwo)
    2 scoops whey (240/48/8/2)
    12oz. skim milk (187/19/27/0)
    1 whole grain tortilla (170/5/28/4)
    (597/72/63/6)

Meal 3
    7oz. chicken breast (453/85/0/10)
    5oz. broccoli (61/5/11/0)
    (514/90/11/10)

Meal 4
    2 scoops whey (240/48/8/2)

Meal 5
    8oz. lean ground beef patty (388/60/0/15)
    2c. brown rice (280/10/78/6)
    (668/70/78/21)

Meal 6
    8oz. tuna (240/52/0/1)
    2c. spinach (7/0/1/0)
    1c. 2% cottage cheese (194/27/8/6)
    .5c. mandarin oranges (36/1/9/0)
    .25c. walnuts (164/4/3/16)
    (641/84/21/23)

Total 364/239/69
    Total calories 3300

I know this needs work. I've been hitting this diet for about 9 months. I allow myself a few(1 breakfast, 2 dinners) cheat meals on the weekend but nothing extreme. I know that the calorie total comes out around close to my TDEE for maintenance but it seems really hard for me to force more food down. I work long hours at a physical job and am required to do lots of cardio during the week (15-20 miles running a week minimum). I lift for strength but don't really seem to be gaining much more recently. Thanks for the help.

Bump

I'm going to bump this one more time. I really would like some sort of help with this.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you are running 20 miles a week you are going to have eat a whole lot more to gain. If you have been doing this diet for 9months and not gaining you need to add cals. Bc ur so active I would start by adding carbs to meal 3, see if that works. You may have to eventually add carbs to all meals in order to grow just because of ur energy needs

How much and what kind of carbs? Also, should I bump cals by 500, 1000?

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    I think you should probably do oats or sweet potatoes. Those seem to be the best carbs. I eat oats for several of my meals, with sugar free jam and splenda so that I don't get sick of it. Do you have to run 20 miles a week? I mean is it for your job? Because doing that much cardio seems counter productive if you're trying to do a lean bulk. But if you have to do it, then definitely eat more...I'm trying to eat a few hundred calories above my TDEE but I assume it would be more for a guy. Anyway, good luck!

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I understand it can be hard to eat above your TDEE. I'm doing it now and it's tough. If you're not on a time crunch or anything try increasing calories by 200 each week. Eventually you'll be able to eat more and more until you hit your target caloric intake. If you are on a time crunch you need to just man up and do it.

As Tall said, if you've been running the diet for 9 months with no change in weight...it's time to make a change in diet. Browngirl also mentioned 2 very good carb sources. Oats are pretty much all I eat. I'm currently eating oats 6 meals a day totaling about 4 cups.

You already have plenty of protein so as you're re-working your diet to increase calories...carbs should be your main focus. You can probably get away with a little more fat but I wouldn't go over 100g/day.
    I would try for about 500 cals above maintanence...anymore than that and you might start to add BF. However, nobody can put a perfect diet together day 1. Buy yourself some bodyfat calipers if you don't have some and monitor your BF throughout your diet. If you're gaining and you're not increasing BF then keep doing what you're doing; however, if you're increasing in bodyfat then we need to make changes.

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Perfect advice there about monitoring ur body as u go and make adjustments as u go. For carbs go with oats, sweet potato, brown rice. When I bulk I eat whole wheat pasta a few hours after my leg workout each week too. Adding red meat/ ground beef helps my body grow as well- more fats in there. I'll have my protein source come from red meat once per day while bulking only

I have body fat calipers and check it every few weeks. I'm an officer in the military so it really is required that I be in very good cardiovascular shape (the reason for all the running). Which some of the PT isn't very conducive to gain mass and really makes it hard sometimes. I will try to add some sweet potato in meal three and just all around more carbs in the other meals. Thanks for the help everyone.

Thread Information