Thread: 5x5 ?

androbolic_09 is offline Associate Member

5x5 ?

Ok, well i tried to run a search on this but it says nothing found. Im doing a 5x5 workout, and wondering about carbs. Should i maintain carb levels for a bulking diet or cut them down to moderate? I read in some magazine, im thinking muscle and fitness, that the 5x5 doesnt burn thru glycogen stores like higher rep workouts... So can anyone help me out?

jypoll is offline Member
    id say your still gonna need the carbs, you wont be doing as many reps but you will be lifting more weight and 5x5 can be pretty tough

Yeah see thats what im thinking. The muscles should still need that much glycogen to push that much power out. so i really dont know. haha

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Don't fear carbs. I don't care what program I was running; if my goals were increasing LBM, I would always be eating at least 150g-300g of carbs per day. I did 300g per day and still dropped body fat while increasing LBM. Just saying...don't be afraid of carbs.

Ok thanks slfmade. Ill just have to monitor my measurements and tweak if neccessary

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by androbolic_09 View Post
    Ok thanks slfmade. Ill just have to monitor my measurements and tweak if neccessary
    Bodyfat Calipers are one of the best investments you can make. If you don't already have some, you can buy them for less than 20.00. Track your progress weekly or bi weekly. If your BF goes up drop the carbs down, if it goes down increase the carbs depending on your goals.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am a fan of the 5x5 workout program, which is next to unknown in where I live for some reason, and I go through a 6 week faze of this program once or twice every year.

It is absolutely true that 5x5 training regimen does NOT burn thru glycogen stores like higher rep workouts and as a matter of fact, it is a rather boring workout system, I barely break a sweat through a session of it LOL. Nonetheless, it works when you run 5 sets of a compound exercise (even isometric in some cases) at 90% of your 1RM for 4-6 weeks at a time. You get stronger and gain size, as one may imagine.

Getting back to the point; I do moderate carbs throughout my 5x5 training periods simply because I do not feel the need for high carbs in the mean time and I also do no want to store extra fat and water. In the last result, 5x5 does NOT require carbing up to attain one's goals of size and strength, moderate carbs seem efficient for this training regimen.

Yeah i have calipers Slfmade, and TJ, i am gonna keep my carbs moderate to maybe a higher end moderate, and do cardio after workouts to help burn off extra glucose in my system. But i need more carbs than im doing now, because im not in a calorie surplus enough to gain.

Thread Information