Race4glory is offline New Member

Question Critique My Diet... PLEASE!!!

To start off, 32 years old, 5'11" 190lbs, 12%BF, been training for 4 years. Mainly been lifting to gain size, but now I am in a fire academy. I have gone from anaerobic to aerobic exercise. Please take a look at my new diet and let me know what you think. Before my diet was low carb high protein, I think I need to switch it up. Typically doing PT for 2 hours in the morning and again when we F'up. A daily average would be: 5 miles run, 150 push ups, 150 situps, 40 pull ups, 20 bar dips, and 20 flights of stairs carrying heavy stuff. We get to sit for about 3 hours in class. That is it out of a 10 hour day. The rest we are moving doing stuff.

Here is my log from last Friday:
    4:35am (breakfast): 5 eggs, two with yolk. One "Costco" energy bar

7:00am: 1 packet of kirkland almonds

9:30am: One Nature Valley granola bar

12:00pm (Lunch): Tuna salad. two 7oz cans of tuna, 1 tbsp of mayo, add pickles and celery for flavor. One 4oz fruit cup with mixed fruit.

2:00pm: 1 pack trail mix and one orange.

4:00pm: 1 banana and protein shake

5:00pm: 1 roast beef sandwich on wheat bread. Small Scoop of mayo and lots of mustard.

7:00pm (dinner): Salmon Fillet. For desert, I had 2 tbsp of creamy penut butter

Drinking at least a gallon of water per day. If I get tired, I usually have a little Martinelli's apple juice at some point in the day.

Breakdown:
    Calories: 3236
    Total Fat: 148g
    Total Carbs: 276g
    Total Protein: 216g

I am also taking a pack of multi vitamins and fish oil tablets in the morning. Anything additional you can suggest?

jypoll is offline Member
    way too many fats.... your fats are making almost half of your calories should be closer to 20%.. which is half what you have, and maybe a little more protein

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Good luck in the fire academy! Obviously ur doing alot of physical activity!
    How limited r u in food choices?
    How is this new diet affecting ur bf%?
    r u doing any lifting rite now or just fire academy stuff?
    Do u go home at nite?
    Not sure wat ur lookn for here.. Advice would def depend on ur answers to the many q's

Ur eating alot of fat and alot of sugar.. Alot of that fat must be coming from the trail mix.. Personally id replace all that sugar with comPlex carbs.. And id reduce my fat intake.. Obviously fat and sugar rnt good for u be prepared to have to drop it once u get dun and ur activity level comes back to a more normal level...

Race4glory is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Good luck in the fire academy! Obviously ur doing alot of physical activity!
    How limited r u in food choices?
    How is this new diet affecting ur bf%?
    r u doing any lifting rite now or just fire academy stuff?
    Do u go home at nite?
    Not sure wat ur lookn for here.. Advice would def depend on ur answers to the many q's

Ur eating alot of fat and alot of sugar.. Alot of that fat must be coming from the trail mix.. Personally id replace all that sugar with comPlex carbs.. And id reduce my fat intake.. Obviously fat and sugar rnt good for u be prepared to have to drop it once u get dun and ur activity level comes back to a more normal level...

Thanks for the input. Here are the answers to the questions that you have asked.
    I am not really too limited in my food choices. I am required to pack my lunch. We can not leave the academy grounds. Try for stuff easy to make and/or grab.
    We just started the academy last week and I am already down 3lbs. Havent checked body fat % change.
    Right now there is no time for lifting. Out of the house at 5:00am and back around 7:00pm. Study for about an hour then off to bed. Try to sleep from 8:30-4:30.
    Do go home at night. We are fortunate that we don't have to stay there. Unfortunately the academy is 6x a week. Only day off is Sunday.

I would like input on what how someone would change my diet to maximize, energy, recovery and not break down too much muscle.

The majority of the fats come from the eggs (10g), Trail mix (25g), almonds (27g), mayo in tuna salad (20g), mayo on sandwich (10g), and penut butter for desert (16g)

Would you suggest to trading in some of the simple sugars for complex carbs? If so, what would you suggest to cut out and what would you put in instead?

jypoll is offline Member
    at 12pm 2pm and 4 pm you only get fruit sugar, and probably more sugar from trail mix
    maybe switch 2pm for oats or brown rice

930am also has granola bar which im sure has alot of sugar too, so somewhere between there and your beef sandwhich you need some complex carbs

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    u say uve lost 3lbs so far.. u want to hang onto muscle.. IMO ur protein is too low and ur fats r too high and ur not getting enuff complex carbs..

3236cals rite now doesnt appear to cause u to gain any fat so id stay with that amt cals.. call it 3200..currently ur diet consists of roughly 25%pro/34%carb/41%fat... id run 40/40/20 P/C/F .. at 3200 cals itd put u at:

320g pro
    320g carbs
    71g fat

i think the additional protein combined with additional carbs of the right type should help u to hang onto ur LBM.. id suggest monitoring ur bf% to make sure switching the macros around doesnt cause u to gain fat... as well as lose LBM (which i dont think it will) but u always want to keep track especially when making changes..

PROTEIN:chicken breast, fish, canned tuna, lean steak, lean burger(96% fat free), egg whites, protein powder(casein or blend and id limit these to 1 or 2 meals if u can), etc...

CARBS: brown rice, oatmeal(not instant), yams are the 3 best u can eat (ive noticed for myself the yams tend to pack the most carbs without being as filling) .. if ur gonna have fruit id have it maybe in a couple meals to get some carbs into ur system quik but u want to combine it with complex carbs as well as protein..

FAT: fish oil, natty PB are really the only 2 i eat..

id try to lose all the granola bars and trail mixes and whatever that costco energy bar is (prob all sugar).. to hit those amt of calories after ditching all the things i suggested ur prob gonna find u have to eat a fair amt more food... i know ur time is limited but when u have time id suggest posting ur diet with total macros... hope this helps
    Last edited by --->>405<<---; 02-13-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Thread Information