Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    yogiart is offline Junior Member

One Day At a Time

Hi Guys,
    I am trying to get myself back on track. My plan is to reach below 30 grams of carbs for a month then start adding carbs gradually from veggies and fruits.
    Today is day one. Three to Four times lifting at the gym. Another 3-4 times tredmill at home for 30 minutes per week.
    No AAS. I've done two cycles in the past, one in 2004 and one in 2005. It is been a while and I miss it but I must lose fat first before going for another cycle.
    Please drop by, I can use some support.
    I am 41 y/o male in good health. working a desk job. I set most of my day.
    I weigh 237 at %36 bf. My short term goal is to reach 220 while lifting, and doing cardio.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hey yogi glad to have u back bro.. when u say below 30g carbs for a month do u mean per day?

hex
    hex is offline Associate Member
    well to start good luck! that goal is easily done. make up a diet and we can go from there a lot of guys on here are really good and helpful if you are willing to help yourself. make sure when you post your diet to include macros and calories. how tall are you that will help determine how many calories you should be hitting. its a fun journey with lots of awarding moments.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Keep remembering this: Consistency is key and slow wins the race. 'tis true.

GOOD LUCK!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Hey 405. It seems that you are still kicking hard. Yes, I mean per day. All from Broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce.

OK, I will tell you more about my diet. What really stopped me the last time was the fact that I started drinking alcohol after 5 years sober. I do have a problem with addiction. I know it is not really the topic here but I am back sober.

Great to see you here Slimmer You. You've been a big part of my support.

Thanks Hex. I will post more info later

I am not planning to count macros. I work two jobs and I study. Generally speaking I eat the following in the initial phase:

5-6 eggs in the morning, without two of the yokes.
    spinach, bacon, cheese, broccoli, cal flower are all options that I add some or part of them to the morning meal along with the eggs.

I try to eat as much veggies all day. I make salads and eat a lot of raw veggies. My target is to eat about %60 of my daily food from veggies but not during the initial phase.

I eat about 1 roasted chicken every day. Today I ate only half a chicken plus a big, low fat stake.

No nuts or fruits in the first three weeks. I also take fiber in the morning every day during this initial phase so I don't get constipated.

Today was the second day. I go to the bathroom to pee so many times. I try to increase my water intake.

I am not able to hit the gym yet but planning on it soon.

Here is a link to my progress:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...wSFg2YWc#gid=0
    Last edited by yogiart; 03-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.

^^ not counting macros around here is not the best idea UNLESS and I say UNLESS you are baby stepping this as a lifestyle and need to DO what you know will work for you. Because WE ALL have to do what we know we will do.

Are you on some kind of high fat Atkins type approach here with the egg yolks and bacon and cheese? what is your plan?
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Bertuzzi is offline AR's Common Sense Ninja
    Are you trying a ketogenic diet??

or like Slimmer said, are you trying Atkins... Atkins scares me

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by hex View Post
    well to start good luck! that goal is easily done. make up a diet and we can go from there a lot of guys on here are really good and helpful if you are willing to help yourself. make sure when you post your diet to include macros and calories. how tall are you that will help determine how many calories you should be hitting. its a fun journey with lots of awarding moments.
    He stated he is 237lbs at 36% bodyfat. How would his height play into determing his calorie demand given you already have his weight and BF%.

Glad u made it back yogi.. Sry to hear bout ur prob.. I too am in 4th yr of sobriety

237lbs at 38%bf puts ur tdee (if 5 days/week) @ 2800cals.. I suggest u try to put togethr a diet based around deficit from tdee.. 2000cals prob be a good startn point..

I prefer low carb for cutting..

300g pro
    100g carbs
    44g fat

Hey Yogi....did you ever try the Oat Pancakes?
    Author Unknown

Bertuzzi, I am going into Ketosis for few weeks first then I will make some changes. I've done this diet quite a lot in the past. I get very good result at the beginning. I may take 405's suggestion and have only 100g of carbs as he describes above. I will not make major changes until I reach 220lb first though.

Problem is I am not lifting yet. I have two jobs and I am studying at the same time. I'll be extremely busy until beginning of May. I hope I can hit the gym few times before then.
    Last edited by yogiart; 03-08-2012 at 10:17 PM.

405, I will make changes but not now. I wouldn't worry about the high fat as long as carbs are less than 30g/day, Atkin's style. I know many people who have great physique doing Atkin's for years. My only problem with Atkin's diet is that I don't think I should do it for a long time. I don't think it is very good for the body, mind or spirit. I will count MACROS but not now. I need first to go back to the gym, do regular cardio and reach to 220, which is not my ultimate goal, just my short term one.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Hey Yogi....did you ever try the Oat Pancakes?
    I gave it a big thought, especially that everyone in this forum is talking about it. My problem with it that it has cottage cheese. I am lactos intolerant. Cottage cheese is not an aged cheese and it usually give me digesting problems along with mozzarella cheese, milk and yogurt. I only can eat sharp cheddar and other aged cheeses with no problems at all.

Mmmmm .. Xtra sharp cheddar is one of my favorite cheeses! Too bad ive only had it once in 6 months.. LOL..

I agree with u about atkins/keto diets.. I dont dispute their effectiveness for fatloss.. But i def think theres alot more healthy ways to eat

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Mmmmm .. Xtra sharp cheddar is one of my favorite cheeses! Too bad ive only had it once in 6 months.. LOL..

I agree with u about atkins/keto diets.. I dont dispute their effectiveness for fatloss.. But i def think theres alot more healthy ways to eat
    X2

I can't imagine staying on it for years like those friends of mine.

Day 7

Good news. I lost 3.5lbs in 7 days. BF% went down from %38.30 to %36.30.
    I am at 234.20, only 14lbs to reach my first goal
    No lifting weight yet. Very little cardio. At least I am following diet. Still very busy and working days and nights.
    I am on Ketosis now. Side effects is headaches due to being dry. I must drink more water. Doing to the bathroom all the times and several times during night. I also have bad breath which is one of the bad side effects. for that, I always have sugar free gum on me and brush my teeth more often.
    no carb cravings. Enjoying food.
    Last edited by yogiart; 03-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Good progress Yogi.. Keep it up man i drink 200oz water per day.. I get 4 x 20oz bottles and when i turn it up i finish it.. Treat drinking water like a job.. Drank 120oz today in 2 hrs.. Just get it dun man.. Chug it a whole bottle at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    Good progress Yogi.. Keep it up man i drink 200oz water per day.. I get 4 x 20oz bottles and when i turn it up i finish it.. Treat drinking water like a job.. Drank 120oz today in 2 hrs.. Just get it dun man.. Chug it a whole bottle at a time!
    That must be the way to do it. Drinking water is good for everything. I have a 32oz bottle that I carry with me but I need to remember to drink more often.

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    Hey yogi just checking in on your progress. You are doing great man. I started around the same time as you with similar goals. Keep the consistency and you will do great.

I like the 20oz bottles cuz i can chug the whole thing no prob.. Ive chugged a 32oz but it really fills u up for a few mins i just recycle my diet dew bottles..

Progress and enjoying your food is a GREAT COMBO. Good for you Yogi~
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by bikeral View Post
    Hey yogi just checking in on your progress. You are doing great man. I started around the same time as you with similar goals. Keep the consistency and you will do great.
    Thanks for the visit. I expect that I will be more consistent in my posts pretty soon. I will peak on your progress too.

Day 10
    Weight: 233.60
    bf% 37
    Total body loss: 4lb
    Total body fat loss: 4.5lb
    Total muscle gain: 0.5

It seems that my progress declined comparing to day 7. mmm, probably some more carbs sneaked into my diet somehow. I'll note that.
    Check my progress sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...wSFg2YWc#gid=0

Day 11
    My scale still thinking I am 72 y/o. At least I started 11 days ago at 74!
    Weight: 233.00
    BF%: 3610
    Total Weight Loss: 4.6lbs
    Total fat loss: 6.9lbs
    Total muscle gain:1.3lbs
    Visceral Fat went down from 18 to 17

I can live with this progress.
    13lbs to go
    I think since my diet has a lot of protein, I am maintaining (even gaining) muscles without hitting the gym at all.
    I hope to hit the gym soon but I will diffidently start on or before mid next month, which is the time I will be done with these work related projects.

Day 14
    Weight: 232.8

Not much progress.
    A couple of days ago I confused my son's juice with my crystal light carb-free drink. I am sure that was the reason why I came out of ketosis.
    I'll spend another week in keto diet then I am going to add 20 counts of almonds every day and see what is going to happen.
    I started today doing 20 minutes of cardio. I'll make sure to do cardio every day but I will have one day off during the week days depending on my schedule. I have no excuse, I have a treadmill at home. I'll use it right after my coffee.

Day 28
    Weight: 232.40
    Total Body fat loss: 9.89
    Total muscle gain: 1.90

Not as I expected but I just started going to the gym and left weights yesterday. I also added melons, berries, nuts into my diet.

Day 36
    Weight: 228.00
    BF: 36.5

Total weight loss: 9.60 lbs
    Total Body fat loss: 7.78 lbs
    Total Muscle increase: 1 lbs

Today I am going to the gym, the second time during these 36 days. I will work on chest and bis and I may add 20 minutes on cardio
    still getting carbs from nuts, melons and berries only.

John Andrew is offline Member
    Mate, stay sober, I was 24 with 3 months to live ( acccording )to the hospital when I stopped drinking, I weighed 39 kilos and had not eaten in months! I started training to fill in the days and was so scared. Kept waiting for giants to bash me. Now 34 years later those giants are still my friends. Alcohol is a death trap and fills the world with misery. Now stay clean and train. Its good being obsessive, we get results and keep on going forever!!! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by John Andrew View Post
    Mate, stay sober, I was 24 with 3 months to live ( acccording )to the hospital when I stopped drinking, I weighed 39 kilos and had not eaten in months! I started training to fill in the days and was so scared. Kept waiting for giants to bash me. Now 34 years later those giants are still my friends. Alcohol is a death trap and fills the world with misery. Now stay clean and train. Its good being obsessive, we get results and keep on going forever!!! Good luck
    My new clean date is Feb 18th. I did not like it out there, it is the same old sh#T. Wow! 34 years clean, that is impressive. I am a member of a 12 step program, I found over the years that they help me a lot.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    What's done is done, back on it now. Do as JA did and use training as your crutch, get addicted to that and a great diet. It will make you stronger physically and mentally. Keep on it!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    What's done is done, back on it now. Do as JA did and use training as your crutch, get addicted to that and a great diet. It will make you stronger physically and mentally. Keep on it!
    I am glad to see you stopping by SteM. It seems that I woke up sick this morning. Too bad because I wanted to hit the gym today.

Just a quick update for the records:
    Last time I checked I was about 10lbs down but last Thursday I got stomach flu. Since I got sick, I was not able to eat but carbs. I couldn't stomach anything else. I know I will be up few pounds because of the increased carbs. I will go back to keto on Wednesday and I hope I will have energy to hit the gym. My creatine came in the mail today so I'll start using it to help out with energy while being carb depleted.

Hey yogi glad to see u on here.. June 4 2012 will be 4yrs sober for me! U can do it man! take it from a guy that couldnt go morethan 21days for about 3 years.. Life is WAY BETTER ON THIS SIDE!

405, absolutely!!!
    I am 90 some day sober now. Life is great, busy but great. Being busy and having projects that I am excited about makes me not even think of using. I go to meetings though. I love meetings.

Congrates on 4 years.

I am still low carbing but hitting not losing an inch. I am about 226 now. All I need to is hit that treadmill more often.

Hueypfc is offline New Member
    august 7 will be four years for me. congrats guys!

Checking in with ya Yogi~ Remember consistency is the KEY! And slow wins the race......
    Author Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information