yogiart is offline Junior Member

Water retention: Keto on Gear

When I was on gear I retained a lot of water. Would it be the same if I was on a Keto diet or low carb diet (below 50g/day)?

coldfear is offline Junior Member
    definitely less water on keto imo, but youll still hold some regardless

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm confused... are you asking if you could do a cycle while on a no carb diet?

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    I'm confused... are you asking if you could do a cycle while on a no carb diet?
    I think I was clear on my question. Off course there are so many bbers go on low carb while on gear. I am just asking about the water retention. I don't like the bloating I get with gear. Something like dbol is notorious for bloating. I even explode on only test cycle.

falco21 is offline Associate Member
    Where your question confused me and slfmade was if you were asking if you would hold water while doing keto and on gear.

If you are on keto and not on gear, I would not worry at all about bloating. I am on keto now and have done it for a very long time. It's actually the opposite for me. I need to drink more water. It dries me out very fast.

At least that's what I understand, considering your other thread said you do not plan on doing a cycle again until you lose all the fat you accumulated over the years you were out.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiart View Post
    When I was on gear I retained a lot of water. Would it be the same if I was on a Keto diet or low carb diet (below 50g/day)?
    Did you use an AI when you were on gear? If so, what did you use, and what the dosing and frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Did you use an AI when you were on gear? If so, what did you use, and what the dosing and frequency?
    No, I did not. I had my PCT on hand but I didn't use AI while on cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by falco21 View Post
    Where your question confused me and slfmade was if you were asking if you would hold water while doing keto and on gear.

If you are on keto and not on gear, I would not worry at all about bloating. I am on keto now and have done it for a very long time. It's actually the opposite for me. I need to drink more water. It dries me out very fast.

At least that's what I understand, considering your other thread said you do not plan on doing a cycle again until you lose all the fat you accumulated over the years you were out.
    Just off-topic, when you say you are on keto, are you saying you are on low carbs or actually keto?
    Do you eat melons, berries and/or nuts?

No, I did not. I had my PCT on hand but I didn't use AI while on cycle.
    You would have held less water if you had followed an AI protocol during your cycle, as a major contributing factor.

Daily carb and sodium intake would be other major contributing factors to this.

Just off-topic, when you say you are on keto, are you saying you are on low carbs or actually keto?
    Do you eat melons, berries and/or nuts?
    Keto diet = ketogenic diet.

Ketogenic comes from the word ketosis, which is a state where your body burns fat relentlessly due to lack of glycogen reserves in both liver and muscles.

It takes about 4 days for one's body to get into the state of ketosis, which requires to follow a zero carb diet in the mean time.

Keto diet yields better results if not the best for most people in terms of depleting the extra water through the depletion of glycogen in the first place, which consist of sugar and water molecules.

Followers of the keto diet are not supposed to eat fructose loaded fruit or even any other carb source for that matter, however, there is the notion of ''cheat day'', where one may optionally eat a carb meal to refill the already depleted glycogen reserves for purposes of elevating spirits, energy levels and slightly fuller looking muscles as complete carb depletion leads to flat looking muscles.

Keto diet can be vastly misunderstood by some, treating themselves with simple sugar and refined flour loaded cakes and similar junk food in their cheat days, however, it is up to one to make a wise decision concerning the cheat meal itself. Some followers consider a slower digesting complex carb meal, as some do not go for a cheat meal at all.

In the last results, keto diet is considerably different in its nature from either a low carb diet or an alternating carb diet where one goes through high and low carb days in a systematic manner.

Clear now?
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 04-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Keto diet = ketogenic diet.

Ketogenic comes from the word ketosis, which is a state where your body burns fat relentlessly due to lack of glycogen reserves in both liver and muscles.

It takes about 4 days for one's body to get into the state of ketosis, which requires to follow a zero carb diet in the mean time.

Keto diet yields better results if not the best for most people in terms of depleting the extra water through the depletion of glycogen in the first place, which consist of sugar and water molecules.

Followers of the keto diet are not supposed to eat fructose loaded fruit or even any other carb source for that matter, however, there is the notion of ''cheat day'', where one may optionally eat a carb meal to refill the already depleted glycogen reserves for purposes of elevating spirits, energy levels and slightly fuller looking muscles as complete carb depletion leads to flat looking muscles.

Keto diet can be vastly misunderstood by some, treating themselves with simple sugar and refined flour loaded cakes and similar junk food in their cheat days, however, it is up to one to make a wise decision concerning the cheat meal itself. Some followers consider a slower digesting complex carb meal, as some do not go for a cheat meal at all.

In the last results, keto diet is considerably different in its nature from either a low carb diet or an alternating carb diet where one goes through high and low carb days in a systematic manner.

Clear now?
    What I did is going on keto, where I did not have carbs at all except from low-carb veggies for about two-three weeks, then I added melons, berries and nuts. I have about one to two servings of those each day. I do not count anything at all. I eat a lot of meet, eggs and veggies as my main meals. When I introduced melon, nuts and berries, I gained a bit of water weight but eventually, I started losing weight again.
    In my case, I would just call my diet, atkin's diet even though if I stopped losing weight in the future, I may reduce the carbs or go on keto again. I do not have cheat meals though at all.

You would have held less water if you had followed an AI protocol during your cycle, as a major contributing factor.

Daily carb and sodium intake would be other major contributing factors to this.
    At the time, I was a member of a different forum/site. People there used to advice for not using something like Nolva unless it was needed. I think they said that this water weight may add strength during the cycle which eventually will be lost during and after PCT.

But I will consider this suggestion next time.

At the time, I was a member of a different forum/site. People there used to advice for not using something like Nolva unless it was needed. I think they said that this water weight may add strength during the cycle which eventually will be lost during and after PCT.

But I will consider this suggestion next time.
    I can't speak for other forums as I am a member of this forum only, but I can tell you that experienced and knowledgeable members of this forum do not advice Nolvadex for estrogen management during the cycle.

Nolvadex is a not even technically an AI, it is SERM to begin with.

You ought to employ Nolvadex for PCT, and use an actual AI such as Arimidex , Aromasin and/or Femara (Letrozole ) during your cycle.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I can't speak for other forums as I am a member of this forum only, but I can tell you that experienced and knowledgeable members of this forum do not advice Nolvadex for estrogen management during the cycle.

Nolvadex is a not even technically an AI, it is SERM to begin with.

You ought to employ Nolvadex for PCT, and use an actual AI such as Arimidex, Aromasin and/or Femara (Letrozole) during your cycle.
    Agreed.

What I did is going on keto, where I did not have carbs at all except from low-carb veggies for about two-three weeks, then I added melons, berries and nuts. I have about one to two servings of those each day. I do not count anything at all. I eat a lot of meet, eggs and veggies as my main meals. When I introduced melon, nuts and berries, I gained a bit of water weight but eventually, I started losing weight again.
    In my case, I would just call my diet, atkin's diet even though if I stopped losing weight in the future, I may reduce the carbs or go on keto again. I do not have cheat meals though at all.
    Nuts and most veggies have too little carbs per serving for a Keto diet follower to even consider them as actual sources of carbs.

I seriously doubt one can get out of ketosis after eating 1-2 servings of raw almonds.

As a matter of fact, nuts have an important place in Dave Palumbo's keto diet since they are capable of providing significant amounts of energy for the dieters in the absence of carbs. Not to mention nuts are possibly the greatest source of healthy fats along with fish, flax seed and olive oils.

Nuts should be consumed in their original raw state and NOT salted for better results.
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 04-11-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Nuts should be consumed in their original raw state and NOT salted for better results.
    If I used salted nuts, I go nuts!!
    I get addicted to this stuff and I won't be able to stop eating them all day. This is the first time that I actually made a rule to only eat raw nuts which works out for me very well. I put some berries with my PWO shake and I eat some nuts before WO and sometimes later in the day . So far, I feel very good and I improved my overall look significantly.

Now here is what I don't do: counting macros. I rely to the fact that I eat enough protein from eggs, chicken and beef. What do you think about that? And what do you do when your goal is to gain more muscle mass? Do you use the Dave Palumbo's Keto diet? Does it works out for you? Just wondering. .

Now here is what I don't do: counting macros. I rely to the fact that I eat enough protein from eggs, chicken and beef. What do you think about that? And what do you do when your goal is to gain more muscle mass? Do you use the Dave Palumbo's Keto diet? Does it works out for you? Just wondering. .
    Not everyone counts their macros but then some people are quite experienced with how their bodies respond to how much of what they eat everyday, hence not feeling the necessity to count macros. I believe these people to be exceptions, however. For instance, if you have a good carb metabolism, meaning that your body responds to carbs very well, than you may go a bit over your daily carb and you won't necessarily turn into a bloated fatty. If you are carb sensitive on the other hand, than you will pretty much have to count your daily intake of carbs. Only counting macros will yield the best results IMO. This is also why competitive BBs feel the need to count their macros, especially when they start dieting for the show (many of them also count their macros off season though).

I have implemented DP's keto diet before, and it is not for me. I could see myself getting and staying on it if I were a competing BB, considering that I would have to be on some strong gear throughout the keto diet to make for the absence of strength that would otherwise come from carbs and bloating that carbs bring about. Keto diet really kills me and puts me to the ground, not only I drastically feel the absence of energy from lack of carbs but also my brain stops working and nerves are wrecked. I have a business and a social life to handle and zero carbs + intense workouts do not add up in this frame.

Carb cycling is a much better deal for me...
    Last edited by Turkish Juicer; 04-13-2012 at 08:33 AM.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    If I used salted nuts, I go nuts!!
    I get addicted to this stuff and I won't be able to stop eating them all day. This is the first time that I actually made a rule to only eat raw nuts which works out for me very well. I put some berries with my PWO shake and I eat some nuts before WO and sometimes later in the day . So far, I feel very good and I improved my overall look significantly.

I have to keep nuts outta my house......sometimes......or.....GO NUTS TOO!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

falco21,
    I did say that and I will continue on my diet without cycling for at least a couple more months.

falco21,
    I did say that and I will continue on my diet without cycling for at least a couple more months.

GORILLAslap is offline Associate Member
    when u get ur next cycle together just run an AI this time and eat ur face off and start your keto after pct

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAslap View Post
    when u get ur next cycle together just run an AI this time and eat ur face off and start your keto after pct
    That's what I did before. It is got to be a way to gain lean muscles without the extra fat/bloat. I may choose to cycle carbs during the next cycle.

GORILLAslap is offline Associate Member
    you said no to this question correct

Thread Information