viking88 is offline Associate Member

$100 rice maker.. and brown rice is mushy. wtf!

i followed the directions on my brand new rice maker and my brown rice came out looking like a blob of mush. what am i doing wrong.. i read that your supposed to soak or wash it or something like that before you put it into the rice maker?

please help me out

DanB is offline Banned
    brown rice is an art, you need to get the exact amount of water and kind of steam it

how does the machine cook it, steam, boil or bit of both?

but sounds like you left it too long or too much water, or both

and the instructions mean nothing really, i find different brands all cook slightly different

and yeah washing the starch out helps aswell, put the rice in cup or pot or whatever, fill with cold water, leave tap running into pot very slowly, enough so the water overflows but none of the rice overflows with it if that makes sense, leave it going until the water is clear, it should go kind of cloudy at start from starch
    Last edited by DanB; 03-21-2012 at 07:23 PM.

its a "zojirushi" rice cooker.. i think its some korean brand i got from costco

i just put the rice into this bowl thing and steam comes up from the top

it has water level lines inside the bowl for measuring water, so it sais if you put 2 cups of dry rice then fill it with water to the number 2 line

and i did just that.. and it comes out looking like oatmeal..

should i put less water? or more..

thanks

DanB is offline Banned
    less water and wash the rice, also if it does it for a set time it may be slightly too long so be sure to keep tasting it and just stop it when you think its done

jypoll is offline Member
    brown rice is always mushy. I mix it with long grain wild rice to make it "crunchy"er

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    less water and wash the rice, also if it does it for a set time it may be slightly too long so be sure to keep tasting it and just stop it when you think its done
    you mean just rinse the rice? or soak it for awhile

DanB is offline Banned
    like i said above, putting it into the pot and letting cold water overflow until its clear

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    LESS water. as Dan said it's an art. those measurements on the rice cookers are Always off. just use a little less and try it again. if it's still mushy, use a little less until you get it right.

also, here's a trick i discovered. after it's cooked, empty into a large bowl and fluff up and spread it around a bit and then let it sit for awhile. then put it in the refrigerator in a tupperware container. next day take it out and fluff it up again and it will be crunchy and firm. works every time for me.

p.s. ive never rinsed my brown rice.

DanB is offline Banned
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

everything is better the next day lol

to be honest I dont usually bother either unless im cooking for somebody, there isnt much in the difference but i just thought i would go a little ott and show him it can be nice if done right

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Honestly its always a good idea to rinse it ...not just for starch/grain seperation but it removes pesticides. I always rinse mine.

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Minute rice!! Always turns out good.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Ur using too much water.... When u cook rice in a rice cooker u always need to 'fluff' up the rice after its cooked..

I use Brown Basmati Rice.... 2 cups of rice, just less that 5 cups of water... Perfect every time for me
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    whats wrong with a sauce pan guys?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    whats wrong with a sauce pan guys?
    I thought that until I got a rice cooker...

I have mine set up on a timer, it cooks my rice for me each day at 5am while im asleep and is then cool 2 put in my cool bag by the time i go 2 wrk....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hmm interesting.. i still havent ventured into rice yet ive been on 2 main carb sources since october: oats and sweet potatoes.. i need to try the rice but i hate change! with the other 2 i KNOW they work.. im a bit obsessive about my diet

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    hmm interesting.. i still havent ventured into rice yet ive been on 2 main carb sources since october: oats and sweet potatoes.. i need to try the rice but i hate change! with the other 2 i KNOW they work.. im a bit obsessive about my diet
    rice is very convienent,

cook up some chicken and rice put into individual containers

microwave and small drop of sweet chilli sauce and vola dinner in 2mins

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Standard rice ratio is 2-1. When cooking brown rice I always reduce water by 1/4 cup to get a dryer or more separated grains. So 1 3/4 cup water to 1 cup rice. If cooking in a sauce pan, do not take the lid off till the time is up, and make sure that once you bring it to a boil reduce the flame just about as low as it can go. Cover and walk away. Return when timer goes off remove lid, fluff n serve.

nkyle90 is offline Associate Member
    Here's how I make my brown rice and it turns out perfect every time: I use 1 cup brown rice to 2 1/2 cups of water.. I do not rinse or soak the rice. i've read several places that washing it rinses off vitamins and minerals. But yea, 2.5 h2o to 1 brown rice. comes out tender but not soggy.

Thread Information