PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member

Question about cheat meals when cutting

Hey , I wanted to ask when cheat meals are allowed?

I mean at what bodyfat % range it is it okay?

Or is there even some kind of limit?

If my bodyfat % is around 15-17 am I allowed to eat a cheat meal once a week/ two weeks ?

Is it the thing to have a cheat meal on your off day for example on weekend?

Also give me some of your cheat meal ideas ? The reason why I ask is because I don't have money for mcdonalds and other fast food places.

Bonus question: Should a cheat meal focus on certain macronutrients , like mostly carbs and protein ? P.S Try to answer to all the questions
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 04-23-2012 at 03:41 AM.

big88sub is offline Associate Member
    Man if you want a cheat meal once or twice a week go for it. It will help keep you sane if your typically stayin in a calorie deficit. Your not goin to wake up fat the next day. If you want you can add another 5 minutes to each cardio session threw the week.just don't binge and eat everything in sight all day long cause that will mess up your whole week. O hope that helps

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I would suggest that it depends on what diet you are currently doing .

If you are carb cycling, then there is always a refeed day..

If you are in ketosis (atkins), then there is no refeed day, you stay in ketosis all the time if you can..

If you are eating Paleo, then you are eating paleo there is no refeed..

If you are doing intermittent fasting, there is no refeed either
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOnes View Post
    Also give me some of your cheat meal ideas ? The reason why I ask is because I don't have money for mcdonalds and other fast food places. The idea of cheat meal is vastly misunderstood. A cheat meal should not be the equivalence of stuffing one's face with artificially processed junk food. I would never encourage anyone to go to a fast food joint for a cheat meal. Although, an question inevitably rises from your interesting statement: If you don't even have the money for McDonald's, than how do you think you will sustain a clean BB diet in the long term? I am now very curious about what you eat everyday, number of meals, contents and etc.

Bonus question: Should a cheat meal focus on certain macronutrients , like mostly carbs and protein? A cheat meal means glycogen replenishment; that is, carbs. It can also consist of carbs and protein, but mainly carbs since you are supposed to have pro & fat meals only while in ketosis. I suggest complex carbs are consumed for cheat meals, since simple sugars will spike insulin and promote fat retention inevitably, which is against the nature of being on a keto diet in the first place.

I eat 6 meals a day , mostly complex carbs like oats, brown rice and I also eat veggies like broccoli , cucumber , tomatoes ,cabbage .

So for a cheat meal I should just add more oats or brown rice for the cheat meal?

For protein I mostly consume fat free cottage cheese , lean chicken , turkey , eggs and salmon once or twice a week. Most of my fats come from walnuts and sometimes sugar free peanutbutter.

1. meal: Usually fat free cottage cheese , brown rice or oats and one apple ( 40 p , 70-80 c , 400- 500 cal )
    2.meal : Usually eggs or chicken with walnuts ( 35- 45 p , 15-20 f , 300-400 cal)
    3.meal: I just eat chicken/ cottage cheese or I drink a whey shake ( 30-40 p , 300-350 cal)
    4.meal: Is usually my pre workout I eat then some brown rice with chicken or whey shake ( 40 - 50 p , 50 c, 300-400 cal)
    5. Meal is after my post workout shake and it is usually broccoli with slice of full grain dark bread with chicken or cottage cheese( 50 p , 30- 40 c , 400 cal)
    6. meal: Is usually proteins with fats. So i will take fat free cottage cheese with nuts or peanutbutter. ( 30-40 p , 20- 22 f , 300 cal)

Turkey is kinda expensive in Finland so I can't eat it daily.
    I also drink atleast three 1.5 L bottles a day and I try to avoid fats with carbs especially pre and post workout.

I have kept a break from gym for like 2- 3 weeks but I usually train 4 days a week with cardio 45 mins each time after workout.

Stats:
    75 kg
    184 cm
    Age 19

macros: 240 p , 122 c , 44 f and 2265 calories

I'm now changing my macros little bit and also focusing more of my carbs to morning and post workout , because I found that it is good based on the forum stickies.
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 04-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.

You have no business with a cheat meal when you eat 6 times a day and your meals already include carbs.

Cheat meal is a notion for those who enter ketosis on ketogenic diets and stay on ketosis for long enough where their BF% is drastically dropped. They start adding a cheat meal to their diets once in a while that mostly consist of carbs to refill the already depleted glycogen reserves in liver and muscles, so that they can benefit from more intense workouts and not look flat.

As is, you are flirting with a concept that has no practical use for you, you don't need a cheat meal in your diet you need to learn more about dieting in general IMO.

Look into the concept of ''carb cycling'' for cutting and/or maintaining.

A question on my behalf: You live in Finland and your diet does not include any fish. Why??

It's weird that fish is so expensive here since Finland is called ¨land of thousand lakes¨.

I think it's because fishers here get taxed a lot and taxes in Finland for food are raising all the time. I still eat fish once or twice a week and I also eat tuna in spring water by John West.

Ty for explaining the whole meaning of cheat meal. I always thought that I could use it with normal cutting diet.

I pretty much know how to carb cycle but not sure how much I should consume on each days( low , mid , high carb days) ?

I believe on high carb days protein is lower but don't know how much lower and I also don't know how much fats in diet should change?

Also how does the cycle go ? I believe I should place mid and high carb days to my harder or workouts for bigger bodyparts like legs or back ?
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 04-24-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Your current macro layout shows that your daily carb intake is 122gr.

There is more than one method to carb cycling, you should implement these different methods and see which one works the best for you IMO.

Preferred method of carb cycling should also be in tune with preferred method of training. If you train each body part once a week, then you can get away with low carb on days where you train small muscle groups only, and high carbs on days where you train large muscle groups. If your training is split, meaning you train small muscle groups along with large muscle groups, then you can do medium to high carbs throughout your split days and then do as little as zero carbs on non training days.

There is no need for you to reduce your daily protein intake on high carb days. As a matter of fact, protein intake should never go below your daily requirement. Your fat intake, on the other hand, is supposed to be less on high carb days.

And tj knows a become of a lot about what he's talking about. He'd helped me to no end. I'm with Turk on this. He's 100% right. :-)

Thread Information