oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member

Is it visceral fat, belly fat, organs too big, or do I just need to do more cardio?

So, even when I get fairly lean it seems my belly is always sticking out. My avatar is me "sucking it in" but if I relax, my belly sticks out farther than my chest - it's always round and I'm really getting sick of it. I only have a little covering my abs right now, but I feel like when I diet and cardio down, my belly will still be much bigger than I want.
    The pot belly thing runs in my family, and if I'm not paying attention, I'm a huge eater.
    I'm just wondering if I can ever get to where I'm nice and trim - without sucking it in.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I have the exact same problem. At 9% bodyfat, unless I sucked it in, my lower belly area wasn't as flat as my upper abdominals. It could very well be visceral fat, however there's really no way to know without getting SUPER lean. Those fat stores (if that's what it is) will be the last to go, and only then will you know for sure. I hate it too... it really screws up my physique. Furthermore, I still have some loose skin from when I was fat, so that makes it look even worse. Pot belly + loose skin basically had me looking fat even at 9%!!!

Hey gbrice, glad you can relate. It's my biggest "issue" now, because I don't really have a good idea of how to confront it. Are you over 40? I feel like I've always had a big belly, even as a kid. I've only recently (last 5 - 7 years or so) needed to actively work on staying fit.

I almost wonder if doing loads of situps, and then wearing some kind of waist band to keep it all in while the muscles healed might work, LOL I'll try anything. I'd hate to work so hard to get to my goal of 10% and still be hanging out...

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Hey gbrice, glad you can relate. It's my biggest "issue" now, because I don't really have a good idea of how to confront it. Are you over 40? I feel like I've always had a big belly, even as a kid. I've only recently (last 5 - 7 years or so) needed to actively work on staying fit.
    Not quite, i'm 36. I was a very skinny kid, but I got fat and lazy around 18 or so, and stayed that way for the better part of 15 years or so. I only started to SERIOUSLY get into being fit (seriously meaning get it off and KEEP it off, which I've managed to do so far) about 3.5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    I almost wonder if doing loads of situps, and then wearing some kind of waist band to keep it all in while the muscles healed might work, LOL I'll try anything. I'd hate to work so hard to get to my goal of 10% and still be hanging out...
    Nah, sit ups won't do anything. To be honest, they'd make your stomach look larger if anything. After all, your abdominals are muscles, and like any other, will grow if stimulated and fed to do so. I'm not saying not to work stomach; if your bodyfat (subcatenous) is low enough, the appearance of well developed abs is really pleasing. However, with visceral fat, your stomach will likely still stick out.

To be honest (and this goes for me too), we get VERY caught up in these small things because we look at ourselves and scrutinize ourselves like none other. Take a look around and think about how many people look like you. Not the majority. Next time you're at the beach, take a look at all the fatty's and/or the awful shape of most people, even the thin ones. No muscularity, hunched over, shoulders caved inwards, terrible posture, etc. You likely look better than 90% of people out there. Think of this and things will start to fall into perspective.

True... But no matter how good you may look, if your belly sticks out past your chest, especially under a shirt where no one can see the other development you might have, it renders everything moot.

turborx7s is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    I have the exact same problem. At 9% bodyfat, unless I sucked it in, my lower belly area wasn't as flat as my upper abdominals. It could very well be visceral fat, however there's really no way to know without getting SUPER lean. Those fat stores (if that's what it is) will be the last to go, and only then will you know for sure. I hate it too... it really screws up my physique. Furthermore, I still have some loose skin from when I was fat, so that makes it look even worse. Pot belly + loose skin basically had me looking fat even at 9%!!!
    1. If your avatar is you, and you used to be fat, (I use the term loosely) then nice f'ing job man.
    2. I too can relate, its not too horrible for me, id say dead even with my chest. I still have a six pack, but the damn thing wont go away. I've just gotten so used to sucking it in, that its automatic for me.

I've put on 20 pounds on my current cycle too. I sure hope a lot of it is water, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by turborx7s View Post
    1. If your avatar is you, and you used to be fat, (I use the term loosely) then nice f'ing job man.
    2. I too can relate, its not too horrible for me, id say dead even with my chest. I still have a six pack, but the damn thing wont go away. I've just gotten so used to sucking it in, that its automatic for me.
    Thx man. At my worst I was 255lbs, mid 30's BF%. In my avy I'm 193lbs, roughly 9%.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Good luck to you oatmeal!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    You need to train your TVA...

Look it up
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

TVA is to broad a term... Definition, or spell it out? Thanks

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    transversus abdominis

Wiki it
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    posture is also important. I notice a huge difference when I don't slump shoulders. I also, recently, am tighting my abs when I spin. It seems to make them sore...although I now know that abs are made in the kitchen!

Yes, posture is huge. Just by sucking it in and holding myself in good posture I can look just fine - like my avatar... I'd just like to walk by the mirror and not see my gut hanging out past my chest.

Thread Information