Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casein

Warrior1700 is offline Associate Member

Casein

So I want to implement Casein back into my diet/supp's before bedtime for slow digesting protein. But really, I cannot get it down. What are you all cutting it with or using to get it thin enuf to get down? I need something else to stay more anabolic over nite.

ALso , want to add it to post work out shake with fast digesting whey. Still seems to thick.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    More liquid will be the only thing to thin it down. Personally before bed I like to add a scoop to a half cup of cottage cheese. Makes for a decent flavor and a little more filling than just a shake for me anyway.

GORILLAslap is offline Associate Member
    i would just get a whey/casein mix protein, if your having problems with casein alone

I was afraid that would be the case. Lol. Was hoping for a miracle since the last time I tried it over 6 months ago. Lmao.

What does that do to the cottage cheese? or vice versa? Lol. How much, 20 grams ish?

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAslap View Post
    i would just get a whey/casein mix protein, if your having problems with casein alone

Yea, casein turns to frigin' glue when I mix it alone with water, I tried whey with it, to try to cut it , thin it out, not much help it seemed.

Guess I have to choke it down if I want the added benefit.

GORILLAslap is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1700 View Post
    Yea, casein turns to frigin' glue when I mix it alone with water, I tried whey with it, to try to cut it , thin it out, not much help it seemed.

Guess I have to choke it down if I want the added benefit.
    i mean certain proteins have whey and a good amount of casein in a blend

As far as the amount I just add 1 scoop or whatever the serving size is for the casein. I mix it in real well and it makes it more like a pudding really. My cottage cheese has 15g protein and the casein has 24g. So I get a sweet treat with about 40g right before bed.

Also check the nutrition info on the cottage cheese. I use the kroger brand fat free as it had a better macro profile than the name brands did.

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAslap View Post
    i mean certain proteins have whey and a good amount of casein in a blend
    Ok, Gotcha, try one of the packaged blends and not a home brew. I can take a look, gotta go see my supp guy next day or so, thx. I think it will really get me past the nite fasting a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    As far as the amount I just add 1 scoop or whatever the serving size is for the casein. I mix it in real well and it makes it more like a pudding really. My cottage cheese has 15g protein and the casein has 24g. So I get a sweet treat with about 40g right before bed.

Also check the nutrition info on the cottage cheese. I use the kroger brand fat free as it had a better macro profile than the name brands did.
    Ah yea, cottage pudding. I think cottage cheese is a casein protein in and of itself anyway, so a good combo.

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    I just eat a cup of fat free cottage cheese.... No shake

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyD
    I just eat a cup of fat free cottage cheese.... No shake
    Anything to flavor it?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    Anything to flavor it?
    You could use some cinnamon or stevia to flavor it.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I need something else to stay more anabolic over nite.
    Have beef for dinner, then you should have no concerns whatsoever about "staying anabolic " ... with or without a bedtime meal.

keep fightin is offline Associate Member
    ^^^^ and for breakfast!

JAB1 is offline Member
    Ill look at what I buy, optimum nutrition I think. It mixes very well, not much dif than whey. I got the vitamin shoppe brand once and it was like ***ent. I took it back and exchanged it it was so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Have beef for dinner, then you should have no concerns whatsoever about "staying anabolic" ... with or without a bedtime meal.
    Really? Cuz it is takes time to digest? Lean beef I presume to stay away from sat fat.? Here is the thing, I work afternoons, 3p-11p, so my dinner is like 6-7, and I am up till 1 or 2am after work.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1 View Post
    Ill look at what I buy, optimum nutrition I think. It mixes very well, not much dif than whey. I got the vitamin shoppe brand once and it was like ***ent. I took it back and exchanged it it was so bad.
    Ok thanks.

Really? Cuz it is takes time to digest? Lean beef I presume to stay away from sat fat.? Here is the thing, I work afternoons, 3p-11p, so my dinner is like 6-7, and I am up till 1 or 2am after work.
    Exactly. Beef is one of the slowest digesting protein sources. It takes the body roughly 10-12 hours to digest and assimilate beef. Beef, Bison, etc. are your best bet for a long slow steady supply of amino's in your bloodstream.

Having said that, if you still want to have a bedtime shake, look into a protein blend instead of straight casein, although I never have a problem mixing casein with water. Yes it mixes way thicker than whey, but I simply use more water, problem solved. I actually enjoy how thick it mixes, more like a milkshake. You can also try my own bedtime concoction, I have this almost every night:

1/2 cup 1% milkfat no salt added cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Myofusion is the best tasting I've found so far)
    1 packet splenda
    'splash' of skim milk or fat free half and half (because cottage cheese by itself with the protein powder is simply too thick)
    1tbsp or less of natty chunky style peanut butter

Mix everything in a bowl except for the PB. Once mixed, add the PB and mix in 'loosly', not too much. I like 'swirls' of PB vs. having it completely mixed in.

Hope this helps.

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle

Anything to flavor it?
    No, just straight outta the container!

Exactly. Beef is one of the slowest digesting protein sources. It takes the body roughly 10-12 hours to digest and assimilate beef. Beef, Bison, etc. are your best bet for a long slow steady supply of amino's in your bloodstream.

Having said that, if you still want to have a bedtime shake, look into a protein blend instead of straight casein, although I never have a problem mixing casein with water. Yes it mixes way thicker than whey, but I simply use more water, problem solved. I actually enjoy how thick it mixes, more like a milkshake. You can also try my own bedtime concoction, I have this almost every night:

1/2 cup 1% milkfat no salt added cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Myofusion is the best tasting I've found so far)
    1 packet splenda
    'splash' of skim milk or fat free half and half (because cottage cheese by itself with the protein powder is simply too thick)
    1tbsp or less of natty chunky style peanut butter

Mix everything in a bowl except for the PB. Once mixed, add the PB and mix in 'loosly', not too much. I like 'swirls' of PB vs. having it completely mixed in.

Hope this helps.
    Yes it helps, excellent info , thanks for the ur time. I'll try it all, to get that xtra protein before bed.

Side note: I tried casein last nite, I had some left from before, 1 scoop 25 grams protein, added lots of water and drank fast, before it could thicken to much, not as thick as I remembered a while ago when I started trying it.

Yes it helps, excellent info , thanks for the ur time. I'll try it all, to get that xtra protein before bed.

Side note: I tried casein last nite, I had some left from before, 1 scoop 25 grams protein, added lots of water and drank fast, before it could thicken to much, not as thick as I remembered a while ago when I started trying it.
    What brand are you using? I almost exclusively use ON (Optimum Nutrition) Casein and love it.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

What brand are you using? I almost exclusively use ON (Optimum Nutrition) Casein and love it.
    Same here, none of the others come close taste or texture wise. But then, not all of the others are micellar casein which is what we want rather than calcium caseinate.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

It's BMF Hardcore. I get it locally in Mich from a place called Edge Nutrition. I have not seen it any where else. I use a few of their products. Outta New York I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Same here, none of the others come close taste or texture wise. But then, not all of the others are micellar casein which is what we want rather than calcium caseinate.
    Definitely.

It's BMF Hardcore. I get it locally in Mich from a place called Edge Nutrition. I have not seen it any where else. I use a few of their products. Outta New York I believe.
    Never heard of it, i'm in NJ. Check out ON Casein, I don't think you'll be disappointed bro.

Definitely.

Never heard of it, i'm in NJ. Check out ON Casein, I don't think you'll be disappointed bro.
    I will thanks man. Since I'm down to a few scoops left. ON it is.

JAB1 is offline Member
    I checked mine is ON (optimum Nutrition) as well. Mixes great. I get the vanilla and love it

Definitely.

Sorry...
    Last edited by Warrior1700; 05-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.

^^ please edit your post to remove the links. Linking to other sites is against the rules. Thx!

^^ please edit your post to remove the links. Linking to other sites is against the rules. Thx!
    Done, sry

np, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    Didn't know there were 2 kinds, just ordered my ON...Thanks all

Definitely go for something containing micellar casein if you can, it's a much better quality casein protein.

Definitely go for something containing micellar casein if you can, it's a much better quality casein protein.
    Got my ON the other day. Wow, thanks for the heads up. Mixes great, even in just a shaker w/o a blender and not nearly as thick as non micellar, taste's good also.

busybody is offline Junior Member
    yeah...finding the right kind that tastes ok to you, that can be the deal breaker/maker.
    protein taste has come so far...used to taste horrible!!!!!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    i use cottage cheese with cinnamon. too bland without some kind of sweetener.

Done, sry
    no need to completely remove the link. simply break the link that's all. put spaces in the www part. ex: w w w.anothersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by busybody View Post
    yeah...finding the right kind that tastes ok to you, that can be the deal breaker/maker.
    protein taste has come so far...used to taste horrible!!!!!
    Uh huh...I got the Chocolate Supreme. Good stuff.

Yea, gotta get back to the cottage cheese. I go in spurts, then I get bored or lazy or who knows what else. Luv cinnamon. Pour it in my oatmeal. Hafta try in cottage cheese now. I like mandarin oranges (in a can)on my CC but no I'm on a low "added" sugar kick now, have been but now even more after seeing the 60 mins "is sugar toxic" segment. Darn eating healthy is hard and expensive. Old news but the more clean I eat the harder it gets...Lol.

Ok, starting a new thread.

busybody is offline Junior Member
    Uh huh...I got the Chocolate Supreme. Good stuff.
    all it takes is getting the stuff you like. amazing what some good taste will do

Got my ON the other day. Wow, thanks for the heads up. Mixes great, even in just a shaker w/o a blender and not nearly as thick as non micellar, taste's good also.
    Glad you're enjoying it. What flavor did you go with? I've tried just about all of them... chocolate is my fav, vanilla is a close second.

Chocolate Supreme...Mmmmm. Yummy. Yea, it's great, not even a small chunk when I mix it.

Darn guys at supp store, they should know this stuff, about micellar and such, I tell them I can't mix the crap they sell me. For some reason they really push that BMF Hardcore, *thinks they have a hand in the pot*

No, more, getting my info from here and buying from a warehouse site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information